52 replies to this topic

#21 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:37 AM

I disagree.   No idea where this thought that PG is their hobby/side business, etc, came from.  

For me this opinion comes from the point of being the most likely reality. 

Unless it's all cash from sponsorships w/ Nicklaus, it would seem only logical that the actual money has been in TV and design visualization work.

Do you think the limited sales of this game have really been enough for them to exist and prosper for all this time?

#22 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

You know what Buck..i just can't wrap my head around that thought..Not sayin' you're wrong...just find that extremely hard to believe..

Seriously, i hope this game becomes a great success...

I however do not believe that this is a side project for PP........

Hope i'm wrong.........and it becomes the game that it truly could be.........

Ok, but why do you think that?

Just wishful thinking?  Other?  Is there a data point I've overlooked?

#23 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

IMO the simulator software and TV Broadcast stuff has always been PP's main concern.

IIRC, MJ posted on Links Corner a few years ago that they may look to develop a golf game from their sim software.

To me it was always a side project, hence them trying Kickstarter to gain funding. They didn't just have a pot if money at the time to throw at the game development.

While they could drop the game and carry on with course visualisation and TV work, I doubt they could drop both of them and just continue with the game.
  • Sinewiz likes this

#24 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

For me this opinion comes from the point of being the most likely reality.

Unless it's all cash from sponsorships w/ Nicklaus, it would seem only logical that the actual money has been in TV and design visualization work.

Do you think the limited sales of this game have really been enough for them to exist and prosper for all this time?

Of course not. That's my point. It's all tied together. The sales of the game alone (PC) does not determine the budget or survival. I just wanted to point out the amount of hours they put in on nearly 7 days a week tells me they are committed to this game. It's not just a hobby or side business, saying it's a side business suggest that the game is not important to them. Which is not true IMO. Like I said, sim users and PC are in the same boat because it's all the same game.
  • karma4u likes this

#25 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

Edited by axe360, 23 June 2016 - 03:38 PM.

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#26 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

...saying it's a side business suggest that the game is not important to them. 

We differ in our interpretation here.

To me "side business" still has the word business in it and is certainly important.  

(you lumped in "hobby" which I don't agree with - Clearly this is more than just a simply hobby/activity done only for their enjoyment when able/desiring)

The main distinction is that a "side business" isn't what pays the bills, keeps the lights on and food on the table.  In the case of PP, from all outward indications at this point in time, PG is absolutely in that category.

That's a fair assessment, is it not?

#27 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:08 PM

We differ in our interpretation here.

To me "side business" still has the word business in it and is certainly important.  

(you lumped in "hobby" which I don't agree with - Clearly this is more than just a simply hobby/activity done only for their enjoyment when able/desiring)

The main distinction is that a "side business" isn't what pays the bills, keeps the lights on and food on the table.  In the case of PP, from all outward indications at this point in time, PG is absolutely in that category.

That's a fair assessment, is it not?

Yes, that is a fair assessment.   

#28 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:31 AM

TGC is at least making an effort to improve with a new game TGC2. And HB Studios will fulfill there promises and likely will release TGC2 in the spring of 2017. There biggest draw is the course designer and that's why about 80% of there customers buy that game. The GNCD is a huge attraction and I think that's what is killing PG right now. PG has basically been in beta going on 3 years now with no knowledge of what is in store for the future. You get no responses from the devs on any information leading towards what to look forward to for this game or when it's going to happen. This is a dying game right now and it's digging it's grave deeper and deeper with every month that goes by and not informing there customers of what or when anything is going to happen. Sorry, but I'm looking really forward to TGC2 and to continue designing courses and playing on the TGC Tours. I wish this game alot of luck, but the competition is getting pretty tough for them looking ahead towards the future.

• Stephen Sullivan likes this

#29 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:47 AM

LOL....

I guess OGT should just close up shop now and tell all these new members their accounts will not be activated.  Not to mention the 400 members that are playing in various tournaments. You apparently missed the post and twitch interview where Andrew stated what was in store for PG?

Btw, OGT just released a bunch of great courses in the last week.    http://www.onlinegol...se-reviews.html

Are any of your courses used in TGC Tours?

#30 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:20 AM

Well that's certainly great Zmax and I'm happy for ya. Are the courses that are released from the CF beta-testers or from the 400 members you speak of? And yes, there have been some of my courses used for various tournaments. OGT is the only thing going for this game right now just like tgctours.com is what keeps the other game going as well. The only difference there is that there are hundreds of courses each month if not more that get screened and ok'd to be on the tgctours course list. That's what a course designer can do for a game.

• Tigers Agent likes this

#31 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:46 AM

Lol we come back to the old adage, how can you even play the same course four times on tour over at TGC, every shot feels like deja vu without having to play the same track as well, thats why i quit TGCT a long time ago, it was like pulling teeth having to play the same track multiple times... I still shudder at the thought! 

• Pappy likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#32 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

...there are hundreds of courses each month

I can just imagine the care and individual detailed work that goes into crafting each little element of those masterpieces...

• Pappy and Mulligan like this

#33 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:03 PM

I can just imagine the care and individual detailed work that goes into crafting each little element of those masterpieces...

My favorite:

Hxsahah.jpg

• Parboy and Crow357 like this

#34 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:59 PM

ROFLMAO..........

#35 lefty1948

lefty1948

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:17 AM

+2 on the ROFLMAO!

#36 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:52 AM

Cooler 30 days

#37 Pappy

Pappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationRancho Cordova, California

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

My favorite:

Hxsahah.jpg

That hole is on a course?? What is the par? Reminds me a golf game (not online - 90's era can't think of the name of it) where they were going wild with the designing - some weird stuff. One had a hole right on the very very edge of a precipice. And some of the slopes were impossible almost. Maybe it was an early Links game can't remember. The designing must have been pretty easy as there were LOTS of weird stuff. These games here are awesome IMO!

THOUGHT: Most plan for their Vacation - but most do not plan for their Eternity!

Video       Introduction       My YouTube      The Return

#38 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:58 PM

To be fair... holes like that are NOT representative of TGC.  There are many, many, top notch courses to play.  Unfortunately there are also many, many, stupid courses as well but I think HBS has done a pretty good job of making it easy for people to find the good ones.

• MERACE and RobV like this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#39 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:05 AM

And I thought Devil's Island was silly.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#40 wim1234

wim1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

inst just trying to hit a ball with a stick and in a lil hole on some grassy field the pinnacle of silliness???

and a multi billion dollar industry has grown around it ehheheheheheh funny stuff, peoples

• Mulligan likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users