Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:15 AM

OjQ9wro.jpg

EDIT:   PLEASE NOTE THESE TUTORIALS RELATE TO A PREVIOUS VERSION OF JNPG. THE DISTANCES AND SOME OTHER ASPECTS OF THE LESSONS WON'T RELATE TO THE NEW VERSION 1.4.2.0

IF TIME PERMITS I WILL UPDATE VARIOUS LESSONS SO THEY RELATE TO THE NEW VERSION.

THANK YOU

Lessons include...

(click the lesson for the link)

Choosing your swing type and playing level

The Set-up    

Utilizing cameras

Getting the tempo right

Choosing the clubs in your bag

Driving

Fairway woods and long irons

Playing from the rough

Approach shots    (Part 1)   

Approach shots    (Part 2)

The versatile 64 Wedge   (Full shots)

The versatile 64 Wedge   (Pitching and chipping)

Bunker play

Putting

Using the Shot Shaping tool

Drawing and fading

...plus other general tips and hints.

• Arsam, LeazesNDR, Charles and 4 others like this

#2 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:37 AM

I'm going to post all the lessons on the forum if that is allowed. (It's easier.) If these posts should have their own sub-forum that's fine and I would prefer that. If there is no place for this then that is fine also - people can PM me.

These lessons are mainly for the RTS-M method but there will be some general advice which might help players who use other swing methods.

Each lesson will have a separate post in this thread with a link from the above list. I would also encourage other people to comment, criticise and offer alternative advice. These methods work for me but I'm sure there are other ways to skin a cat. 

These are things I have worked out since I have been using RTS-M and have helped me become proficient enough to score reasonably well at the Amateur level. I hope the knowledge I have gained and will pass on can help others bring their scoring down over time. I use simple actions and methods and I believe once players implement my advice it will be easier to become a scratch golfer at Amateur level.

I'll have the first lessons uploaded soon. 

• Carl_Spackler likes this

#3 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:46 AM

YmmULFY.jpg

Introduction

Perfect Golf has evolved and grown since the days of the first Early Access release. Not only has the name changed to Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf but there have also been changes to the graphics and physics as well as having more swing types and swing hardware options added.

Initially we had the good old standard 3 Click on a circular swing gauge as well as Motion Swing which was a mouse controlled pointer on the same circular gauge.

Like many other computer golfers I jumped straight in to 3 clicking. It was familiar and we were probably confident of playing the game at a good level of competence utilising a method we had used for so long. Unfortunately the old rig I was using wasn't powerful enough to maintain a smooth pointer on the gauge and I thought my Perfect Golf days had crashed to a halt within minutes. 

My only other option was Motion Swing because it didn't matter if my frame rate was low - I was swinging with the mouse. I had given it a short workout out of curiosity with disastrous results and didn't like my chances of being able to control my ball striking but, as it was the only way to play PG, I tried again.

I eventually came to terms with the 4:1 tempo and slowly my scores dropped to a level that I was personally (reasonably) happy with. But, I have to say, I went straight to what we called OFF/OFF which means that all the swing assists or aids were turned off. This was the toughest level you could play. I'm not sure if it was a good idea playing at that level but it gave me a solid grounding in establishing my rhythm at the 4:1 tempo. The Motion Swing gauge was quite a simple guide for the stroking of the ball and it was (is still) helpful in keeping a straight swing path as well as gauging the power you required for each shot.

Then Real Time Swing - Mouse was introduced and it became a whole new ball game.

Why I chose RTS-M

From the first hit with RTS-M I was determined to make it work and make it my swing type. I thought it was fantastic and I had nothing but praise for Perfect Parallel and this innovation. I've made many previous posts enthusing about RTS-M and many others have expressed positive opinions so I won't go into detail. In a nutshell the praise is mainly about the natural feel of controlling the golf ball and how good it is at simulating the golf stroke.

If you think I'm trying to convince people to use this method then you are correct. If you think I would prefer to only play against other RTS-M players - you are also correct. But that's another story.

The fact that there is also a tactile way to fade or draw using RTS-M adds the icing on the cake.

It's not perfect and there are some visual anomalies in the timing connection between the mouse and the animation (and hopefully, one day, there will be improvements) but I can't see myself changing swing methods unless there is a radical new method that goes above and beyond the beauty of the experience mentioned above.

Why I chose Amateur level.

I quickly realised that RTS-M was very difficult at the Tour Pro level and after a humbling but short period I dropped back to Pro level for my regular golfing. Tour Pro by default is OFF/MIN which means the Snap Penalty Reduction Assist is OFF while the Sweet Spot Size Assist is set to MIN. Therefore, it is still not the hardest difficulty but it is still way too difficult for me.

I played a few tournaments at Pro level simply because I thought that was the level I should be playing at and that I should be striving for in competition. I was struggling to get close to par and I called myself a 5 handicapper. Not really a Pro golfer at all. When OGT introduced a new competition with four levels of play with a subsequent reduction in earned ladder points as you dropped down in level I took the opportunity to play at Amateur level. I appreciate that OGT allowed me to play tournaments at Amateur level because it showed me how enjoyable this game could be  using RTS-M.

If you divorce yourself from the idea that you are classed as an Amateur you can then start to think of yourself as a golfer who can break par when you play well, score low when you get lucky and even convince yourself that you are playing like a Major winner. This is great. This is what it's all about. I have found my level.

This is the motivation to start this thread. It actually concerns me that there are some players who are struggling at Amateur or Hacker level because I believe they can become scratch golfers with a bit of tuition. I'm not saying Amateur or Hacker is easy but the assists that the game gives you and tips from more experienced players can certainly help your scoring.

• cajuncapgun, LeazesNDR, Maverick Spirit and 5 others like this

#4 BionicWolf

BionicWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

This information seems like a good candidate for posting as a guide in PG's Community Guides section on Steam. I 3 click but any tips/techniques may help those seeking a guide for this style of play. Just a suggestion Mr. Ball-

• Fairwayman likes this

#5 hhatch

hhatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:22 PM

I will be following with interest.

#6 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:55 AM

YmmULFY.jpg

The Set-up

The Set-Up for the Mouse Swing and the Real Time Swing with the mouse (on the vertical plane) is similar to the real golf swing in that it is important to have a solid grounding and balance and it is necessary to maintain a core around which the swing is based. 

A good anchoring of your hand in the Mouse Swing is as important as keeping your head still and not swaying back off the straight line of your spine in real golf. It is very difficult to bring the club head back to the ball to the optimum point time after time in real life once you have swayed off that line. It is important to replicate a good swing every stroke. Also - in real life there is an opinion that every full swing should be the same no matter which club you use. It is the same with the mouse swing.

To achieve that anchor I use the area of the hand just above the wrist opposite the thumb - the area shown by the green circle.

kixFm83.jpg

Once you have anchored that area - maybe one square inch - you restrict the extent you can move the mouse. I compare that anchor point to the left foot of the right-handed golfer. It is around that anchored foot and solid left side from the ground up through the left leg and up to the left shoulder that a golfer generates power plus consistency. Same with the mouse swing.

Of secondary importance is the right side of the right-handed mouse swingers hand - from the anchor point above the wrist right through to the end of the little finger - the light blue line in the above illustration. It is very much like the left side of the real right-handed golfer. Although the little finger moves during the backswing (pulling back the mouse) it is important to be aware of that right part of hand and to make sure it doesn't move too far left or right off a forward path. In fact I imagine that line to be an immovable wall even if it isn't in practice. This is extremely important in shot-shaping control which I will discuss in a later lesson.

It is from this solid base that all shots and the control of the ball flight is generated. I have found that I can get lazy with my swing and the ball will spray off line occasionally. It is always because I lose the anchor and my swing gets sloppy and my tempo probably gets thrown out. A quick talk to myself and a bit more concentration on the next shot generally fixes things.

We can't forget the importance of tempo in the mouse swing. It is something that would be hard to teach in this format and each golfer will have to burn that rhythm into their head. Having said that, I believe that the anchor technique I have described helps maintain your tempo because of the small amount of movement and a certain amount of muscle memory in the hand. I don't really consciously think about tempo as such, but I can go from a slow backswing on one shot to a faster backswing on another shot and make an adjustment during the swing to compensate. My advice would be to try to swing at the same speed all the time but you will eventually be able to become aware of changes in backswing speed with experience and then make adjustments on the fly.

prtEEFA.jpg

The first thing you notice in my swing is the small amount of movement of the mouse by my hand and fingers if you can ignore the tell-tale liver spots. This comes about by the calibration of the mouse in the swing panel. It is probably the first lesson I would teach anyone in learning this technique and together with the anchoring of the wrist are the basic components that underpin the whole of your game from tee to green and, finally, into the hole. 

There is no need to move the mouse further than you have to to send the ball to the maximum distance of each club. I have set my Swing Meter Sensitivity to 1.50 which gives me a natural, easy movement of my hand and at the same time keeping the swing under control. There is a physical limit to the extent the hand can contort down or backwards and if your calibration is set ideally you will be able to go into the overswing area and feel it - this maintains control and restricts overswinging too far (which can muck up your tempo and send the ball way off line).

The calibration will be a personal thing which depends on the size of your hand and your flexibility. You will be able to decide how much movement back and forward the mouse will actually take to keep control and produce the results you want. My sensitivity is set so that from the start of the backswing to the top of the backswing feels natural and within the limits of how far I can pull my hand back while still maintaining a solid anchor. At the same time I can contract my hand and pull the mouse back just that little bit further to go into overswing.

I can't emphasize enough how important all the above is in maintaining consistency and control. I have a feeling some players are moving their hands across the mouse pad way too much to achieve what they believe is a means to replicate a real swing. The above methods have few moving parts. This is very important for later lessons in distance control and control of your shot shaping.

The small hand movement in the follow through - when you push the mouse forward - can seem a bit awkward and a bit unnatural. There is a feeling that you need to put more effort into the 'stroke' because it is such a small movement. I often swing too fast when playing approach shots when I feel that I don't have enough club. That causes the ball to hook. Nevertheless, once the stroke has been completed and the ball has been hit you can make a follow-through flourish which alleviates the feeling that you haven't 'swung' hard enough to send the ball to it's maximum length. The tempo has to be controlled until the ball is struck all the same. 

• Arsam, Fairwayman, Pappy and 2 others like this

#7 Arsam

Arsam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:13 AM

Thank you Ted, your Set Up tutorial was the most informative and useful technique for RTSM I have ever seen.  The "Anchor" is the key to repeatedly accurate shots, and has helped me very much. I realize now that I was definitely moving the mouse much too far for my stroke which was causing me to swing off plain.  I am looking forward to your next installment.

• Ted_Ball likes this

RTS-Mouse Swing, Pro Level, BLI

HP Pavilion 790-0025T Minitower Gaming PC
Intel Hexa-Core i7-8700 cpu @ 3.2 GHz (Turbo up to 4.6 GHz), 12 MB Cache
64-bit Operating Sys​tem, x64 Based Processor
400 Watt Power Supply
16 GB DDR4-26666MHz 2-DIMM Memory
NVidia GeForce GTX1060 3GB Gaming Graphic Card

DELL D3218HN 31.5" Full HD LED Back-Lit HDMI Monitor, 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz  Maximum Resolution, 4,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

Windows 10 Home Edition, 64 bit - DirecrX v.12.0

#8 gravedodger

gravedodger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThe northy part of Ireland

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:29 AM

excellent post Ted, that's pretty much the same technique I've used for years but you've explained it so well mate ... hopefully a lot of players will benefit.

I was using a higher sensitivity but tried 1.50 and now prefer it, thank you  ;)

• Ted_Ball likes this

#9 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

YmmULFY.jpg

Utilizing cameras

I would like to make a few quick points about having the cameras work to your advantage, because it will have an impact on later lessons.

The default Player cam with Low Player Camera ON gives you an effective viewpoint to define your swing parameters which will assist with your distance control and that will become clearer in later lessons. There are an infinite numbers of camera positions that can be utilized via the F5 key at address but at this time in the development of the game I find that the default view offers a quick and easy view. My thinking is that I can spend more time on my golfing decisions rather than fiddling about with other cams. Sometimes it can be beneficial to keep your momentum positive and pro-active and continue to concentrate on your game instead of cams. (I rarely watch a replay during important games for example.)

AbMvyQ0.jpg

That's not to say that there aren't more effective cam positions but the default cam whether the Low Player Cam is on or off has expedience on it's side. You should keep the above views in mind when I come to later lessons on distance control.

Having said that, there will be times when it is necessary to pull up another camera to optimize your view of the shot and what you are faced with.

I use the Low Player Camera default view for all my shots with every club including the putter. Apart from the previous reason about saving time, always using the same view means that you become very familiar with the perspective of the golf course and your position in it. There is a Low Putting Camera that can be toggled on or off but with BLI or grids it isn't essential to putting success to have it on or off.

Of course, after the ball has been struck it doesn't matter what cams you use although watching the way a ball rolls on the green from an approach shot can help with a read for your putt. For no reason other than interest I use the Player cam with a Snap Camera of Forward. I will also use the Full Tracer at times - especially in practice on course or at the  Practice Fairway - to show me the movement of the ball in the air. But generally the Player view has a nice realistic feel and looks great (when you are playing well).

I'll touch on cams a bit later and how to use them in certain circumstances.

#10 Parkle

Parkle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

Ted, very nice presentation !   You state you have your swing meter sensitivity set at 1.5 but I am curious as to what you have your mouse dpi settings out ? 

SMS at 1.5 can produce lightening fast ani movement at higher dpi settings so I assume  you have dpi fairly low ?

And SMS the same for long and short game ?

#11 Pappy

Pappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationRancho Cordova, California

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:20 PM

Ted when you say Lower Cam are your talking about the C key default position (I call C1, I like to use the C2 as I use BLI exclusively and C2 gives a great look, along with the F4 key to see how the finish is - update/downslope etc).
Also Ted, you're starting to put the RTS bug in me. Tried out for a few minutes but gave up, maybe because of this blobby computer don't know, but think I'll go back and play around with it again - thanks.

Edit: one more thing Ted: hope lesson 2 will be on a new thread for obvious reasons!

THOUGHT: Most plan for their Vacation - but most do not plan for their Eternity!

Video       Introduction       My YouTube      The Return

#12 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

Thank you Ted, your Set Up tutorial was the most informative and useful technique for RTSM I have ever seen.  The "Anchor" is the key to repeatedly accurate shots, and has helped me very much. I realize now that I was definitely moving the mouse much too far for my stroke which was causing me to swing off plain.  I am looking forward to your next installment.

I agree completely Arsam.  I had given up trying to play PG for a while and read Ted's first post abut he RTSM swing. Worked like a charm.

I play Links almost every day since I run the KISS Tours and I play Real Time Swing there and my swing motion is three or more times more that what is needed here and that was what was throwing me off.

Now to learn all of the other things needed to play well (like how to shorten the swing to shoot a Loft Wedge, or any other club, shorter distances.  

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#13 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:51 PM

You state you have your swing meter sensitivity set at 1.5 but I am curious as to what you have your mouse dpi settings out ? SMS at 1.5 can produce lightening fast ani movement at higher dpi settings so I assume  you have dpi fairly low ?

And SMS the same for long and short game ?

Good points Parkle.

To be honest I never checked the dpi when I bought this $15 mouse not so long ago. Here are the settings in the control panel for pointer speed...

ni4vrI5.jpg

Maybe someone has other opinions on this issue and could help out.

I have the Swing Meter Short Game Sensitivity set to 2.0.  In fact I have never fiddled around with that setting mainly because it didn't occur to me. I'll do some further tests and add my conclusions when I get to the short game.

There are other considerations that will be explained in the Tempo post.

#14 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:12 PM

Ted when you say Lower Cam are your talking about the C key default position 

Edit: one more thing Ted: hope lesson 2 will be on a new thread for obvious reasons!

The Lower Player Camera is under Cameras & Views in the Game area of Settings.

I don't really know if it defaults to OFF or ON. I use ON

k0lGMmZ.jpg

It will make more sense about why I use that in later lessons but any of the C cams can be used for purposes I'll show later.

Pappy, I've linked each lesson from the first or Home post. The underlined lessons are active. I'll link to each lesson or Home at the bottom of the individual lessons.

#15 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 27 June 2016 - 11:42 PM

Bortimus has made some great tutorials over at the ogt forum. If one is looking for great information perhaps 1 of the best players of the game might be worth a look, lots of pics too...
Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#16 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:22 AM

Bortimus has made some great tutorials over at the ogt forum. If one is looking for great information perhaps 1 of the best players of the game might be worth a look, lots of pics too...

Could you post a link to those tutorials sport? I looked everywhere but I can't find them. Would be good to have a look.

#17 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:26 AM

I'm on vaca if you look in ogt forum and search for rts swing tip I bet you can find them...
Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#18 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:28 AM

Hey Ted,

Here's the link to the OGT RTS tips. http://onlinegolftou...hp?f=150&t=1483

A lot of the RTS tips on the OGT site were copied from posts I made over the last few months.  I tried to condense them into one thread.

Your posts are much more visual than mine.  That's very helpful.

You're doing a good thing here.  Keep up the good work.  

#19 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:59 AM

Thanks bort, all in the betterment of video golfers every where
Ncccrca.jpg

#20 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:00 AM

Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users