frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:26 AM

A little input from my side:

Under the "pga" tab there are values that determine the scoring for Par 3s, Par 4s, and Par 5s. If you leave those as they are, you will get a wide range of scoring. From 60 to 85. If you want more consistent play, change like that:

Par 3s:

Birdie: From 140 - 150

Par: From 850 - 880

Bogey: From 986 - 990

Dbl. Bogey: From 996 to 999

Par 4s:

Birdie: From 150 to 175

Par: From 850 - 885

Bogey: From 986 to 992

Dbl. Bogey: From 995 to 999

Par 5s:

Eagle: From 7 to 13

Birdie: From 300 to 380

Par: From 900 to 950

Bogey: From 991 to 999

Dbl. Bogey: From 996 to 1000

If you choose numbers of the high end of that scale you get average scores of 68.5 - scores of a top player. And a pretty realistic number of birdies and bogeys.

You can a good amount of different player types as well:

- "steady-eddy": Move the birdie number down to around 120 - move the Par and bogey numbers up (890 and 992)

- "birdie hunter": Move the birdie number up to 160-180 - move the Par and bogey numbers down (820-830 and 981 to 984).

#62 footslogger

footslogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:58 AM

Sounds fascinating, even though I don't have a clue what all the numbers signify.  If they produce realistic AI scores I'm all in favour.  By adjusting the numbers for 'more consistent play', do you still get the occasional score in the 8os, which we all know can happen even in pro tournaments?

#63 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:12 AM

Sounds fascinating, even though I don't have a clue what all the numbers signify.  If they produce realistic AI scores I'm all in favour.  By adjusting the numbers for 'more consistent play', do you still get the occasional score in the 8os, which we all know can happen even in pro tournaments?

If you choose relative high "par" and "bogey" numbers, you won't get many 80ies. But you don't see many 80ies by gus like Rory, Jordan or Jason Day, right? But there are certainly over par rounds even by the best guys.

The program is really cool. Besides the player attributes you have global modifiers for the scores. You can change a modifier for hardness of conditions. If you play a round in JNPG on 14 stimp under gusty conditions you can modify the AI scores before the round. You can put a chance of, say, 10% (or 20% or 30% etc.)of a higher score per hole.

You can even put a score modifier on each single hole to take difficult or rather easy holes into account. You can create your own courses with the correct Pars on every hole and tinker with the difficulty of the holes.

GBVC is a great program with many options. But it's a bit time-consuming if you want to setup all the variables in a realistic way.

• footslogger likes this

#64 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:39 PM

Frank,

Appreciate the feedback.  I see the tab, I see the numbers, but they mean nothing to me.  Are you saying each value for each player needs to be adjusted to between the ranges you've indicated?  How would one determine a value for one player vs. another?  There are a lot of values on that tab, and honestly, my interest in updating the values is nil.  (Did I mention I never have used and never intend to use the program?!)  Should the roster on the pga tab be updated to match the roster.xlsm file?). 

While I was more than happy to help make the program usable for those with later versions of Excel, I feel my usefulness is now limited.  For players.  Frank, if you wish to update the values and share will all for more realistic scoring, that is completely fine by me.  I have not been able to reach Greybeard, so updating it and sharing it could be considered inappropriate given the EULA at the end of the instructions document, but .....

#65 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:37 PM

Frank,

Appreciate the feedback.  I see the tab, I see the numbers, but they mean nothing to me.  Are you saying each value for each player needs to be adjusted to between the ranges you've indicated?  How would one determine a value for one player vs. another?  There are a lot of values on that tab, and honestly, my interest in updating the values is nil.  (Did I mention I never have used and never intend to use the program?!)  Should the roster on the pga tab be updated to match the roster.xlsm file?). 

While I was more than happy to help make the program usable for those with later versions of Excel, I feel my usefulness is now limited.  For players.  Frank, if you wish to update the values and share will all for more realistic scoring, that is completely fine by me.  I have not been able to reach Greybeard, so updating it and sharing it could be considered inappropriate given the EULA at the end of the instructions document, but .....

Yes, every number has to be adjusted. The good thing is: You can do it within a season. You initiate and then you can alter the numbers.

Attributes for the players: The range shouldn't be that big. If you have too low numbers for par (under 800) or bogey (under 980) you will see more bogeys than would be realistic. I leave those two numbers in a relative small, rather high number range. That means: a lot of pars, a few bogeys (and dbl. bogeys). And then i use the birdie attribute to get to my intended average score per round. A player with a bogey attribute of 980 will have at least 1 rather 2 more bogeys on the card than a player with a bogey attribute of 990.

To be honest: I dont see myself doing it in the near future - it is a lot of work. On top of that you have to work on the courses too. We have a lot of fictional courses for JNPG. If you want to have them in GBVC you have to bring them in manually - and i am not sure if that works after you have initialized the career.

#66 ProFirefighter

ProFirefighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

I'm afraid my newly purchased. Amd. R9 graphics laptop won't be able to keep up with the 3d update ...

All depends on what iteration of the R9 you have. I run a desktop GTX 960, which falls in between the R9 270X-280X cards.

That's good enough for me, especially taking into account my fairly quick 25-30 min OGT Tournament style of play (more concerned on speed of play, not so much maxed out graphics).

That said, I cycle cards ~2 years. So next year I'll be eyeing a 1060 card. Maybe. ;)

i5-4460 / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB 7200 RPM / Windows 8.1 / Thermaltake TR2 600W / EVGA GTX 960 FTW

#67 scrambler

scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:14 PM

I've put all the PG courses in as they come out and they work fine.

• frank70 likes this

#68 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:17 AM

I also entered all the courses (at the time), but I didn't realize it was in the Q-School workbook (hidden sheet called PG Courses, if memory serves).  So, I guess you could choose any course for Q-School, but after that, I don't know.  As I said, I have never used it, so was flying pretty much blind trying to update it for PG! 

#69 scrambler

scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:46 AM

Never saw courses in Q school. They are in the GBVC in the second to last tab.

#70 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:27 PM

Just a bump..

#71 mkvitz89

mkvitz89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

Hi Im not sure if anyone still uses this program but i have much interest in getting this to work.. I've changed my roster to match a more current PGA roster and saved it.  problem is it wont transfer over to the Q school workbook.  When i open Q school it's still the original Q school roster with the original rankings.  I can't get my edited roster to transfer to Q school.  Pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.  I've went step by step with the guide.  Please help..

Thanks

#72 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:40 PM

I have updated the GBVC roster with more recent data (Nov. 6, 2016 world rankings).  There is a beta version of what I've called GBVC 2017 that can be downloaded here:
http://ge.tt/6yz0D5h2

Other than the roster update, there is little/no change to the rest of it.  Again, I don't use this and I don't know if the changes I have made work completely.  Until I hear differently, I'm assuming all is fine with this version that is compatible with Excel 2013+.

Have tweaked GBVC on your own or if you were trying the file that I updated in the link in my quoted post?  I haven't used it, so I don't know if the file I tweaked works; I've also had no feedback on it.  So, either "no news is good news" and it works or there is little interest in this for JNPG at the moment.

#73 mkvitz89

mkvitz89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:43 PM

A little more on my issue.  A majority of the players in the 1st Q school aren't even on my master roster anymore.  So my Q school isn't updating when i initialize the master roster.   

Any help would be great.

Thanks

#74 scrambler

scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

I've been playing GBVC for years but I never really understood Q school. so I set up my player for the PGA and skip Q school.

#75 mkvitz89

mkvitz89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

Cloeks,

Thanks for the response.  Did you edit the master roster at all?  It looks like any changes I make do not transfer to the other workbooks.

#76 scrambler

scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

If you change players in the GBVC roster spreadsheet then Initialize career the roster should be transferred to the main GBVC spreadsheet.

#77 mkvitz89

mkvitz89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

Man was really excited to use this but i can't get anything to work..  Getting errors whenever I try to initilize something.

#78 mkvitz89

mkvitz89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:18 PM

Cloaks Thanks,

Yeah i've tried that several times.  Whenever I try to initilize the career on the main roster page it gives me an runtime error 1004 Pga custom qschool xlsm could not be found.  Then is gives me three options of debug, end, or help.  I've tried all with no avail.

#79 scrambler

scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

I have a very old ver. of Excel and can't use this new update. I use the one downloaded from the Links site. I did cut an paste the rosters from the new one but that's it.

#80 mkvitz89

mkvitz89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

Clieks I tried the old version from the links page and am getting the same runtime error when trying to initilize.  Thanks for your help, hopefully Perfect Golf will implement some type of pga career where we can get the pros in..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users