• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

Time moves on and we have another closed alpha build released this week. We have added a couple more alpha testers who will be joining the program shortly and will hopefully provide us is with some additional feedback to go with the valuable thoughts and ideas currently coming in from the existing testers.

We are 'all system go' at the moment shooting for a Steam Early access release before the new year. This is as close to definite release date I can give you at the moment but all I can say is that we are working around the clock focussing almost exclusively on PerfectGolf to try and get you something to play before Christmas.

With that in mind we are concious that some of the features we really wanted to be in our first public build will most likely not make it in time (motion captured golfer avatar) and rather than chase a futile cause we are putting our resources into the things that we believe we can complete and include. Our goal as ever is to create and deliver a realistic and fun golf game which will have the ability to grow with the community, adding more features as we go. 

Those of you who have followed us for this long might know that our background is not in games at all but in fact grounded in real golf. In order to continue to fund ourselves this far we have created apps for the PGA tour and Broadcast products that are used by TV companies around the world. Our course creation software CourseForge is being used by the number one real golf design company 'Nicklaus Design' to help design and visualize their real courses, no stone has remained unturned in our efforts to bring our passion for this game to fruition but as we don't have a large publisher funding us, we have had to be self sufficient and make out own way which sometimes causes delays in what we want to achieve.

Given our background  our goal remains to create as realistic experience as possible with all our energies going towards that goal. That doesn't mean you have to be able to play real golf to enjoy PerfectGolf, far from it in fact our physics has been based around tour players ball flight data which means that if you have seen someone do something on TV, the chances are you will be able to replicate it in PG given enough gaming skill!

Our golfing environments have been designed to not only look great but to run on a variety of hardware including less than cutting edge computers and laptops. We want as many people as possible to be able to enjoy the game we are making. We create all our in house courses with 'CourseForge'  and as soon as possible after the full game's release we will open this to the public so they can start to create their own content. It's not a 'one click' course building tool, but it's exactly what we use and if it's good enough for Nicklaus design I'm sure you will find the only limits to making your own perfect course will be your imagination.

This week we are refining our GUI to make it easier to use with more options for scalable graphics quality settings, we are testing our multiplayer lobby system so you can play with your friends and we are working on fine tuning the real time of day and weather systems that come with PerfectGolf. Also we are tweaking our graphics and physics properties of our ground textures to try and make the ball reaction on landing as realistic as possible.

Thanks for your patience so far, we are getting closer!

• clint, ed dawson, Perculator and 4 others like this

#2 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

great to hear Mike, so could be the best christmas present this year, providing all goes according to plan.

#3 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

CLIPPED:

With that in mind we are concious that some of the features we really wanted to be in our first public build will most likely not make it in time (motion captured golfer avatar) and rather than chase a futile cause we are putting our resources into the things that we believe we can complete and include. Our goal as ever is to create and deliver a realistic and fun golf game which will have the ability to grow with the community, adding more features as we go.

Mike, I'm not sure that I understand what this means. Could you please elaborate? I sure hope that it doesn't mean that the early release won't have an avatar.

Richard

Posted Image

#4 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationCedar Lake Indiana

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

Wow Mike sounds like things are coming around. That's good news!

• balaceanca81 likes this

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
Silverstone ST1500 1500W ATX
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Editon
4x Kingston Digital HyperX Fury 240GB SSD Sata III HD's In Raid 0
1 TB HD for storage
Asus Rog Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly Motherboard
4x16GB Corsair Dominator Series Memory
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System GPU & CPU
1x LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burner
1x LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Player
HP ZR 30" Monitor 2560x1600 Resolution

#5 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

Mike, I'm not sure that I understand what this means. Could you please elaborate? I sure hope that it doesn't mean that the early release won't have an avatar.

Richard,

I read it as it is unlikely that we will have a golfer animation stood next to the ball when the Early Access is put out.

Personally, I am not that concerned (as long as we do finally get one) but if that isn't ammunition for the TGC brigade to rip in to the product (even at Early Access stage), I don't know what is, lol.

;)

• ed dawson likes this

#6 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

So excited.... sounds like this is going to be one helluva golf game.  can't wait!   

#7 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

Richard,

I read it as it is unlikely that we will have a golfer animation stood next to the ball when the Early Access is put out.

Personally, I am not that concerned (as long as we do finally get one) but if that isn't ammunition for the TGC brigade to rip in to the product (even at Early Access stage), I don't know what is, lol.

;)

OMG Daz, I sure hope that we are both wrong. Personally I believe it would be a 'disaster' and would really be putting gas on the fire.

Of course, I could put on a 'Marketing Spin' and take the position that the avatar is there. We just call it the 'invisible man'. :huh:

Richard

Posted Image

#8 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:17 PM

Richard,

;)

We will however have a first person mode, so while we might not have one feature ready in time for Early Access we will have another. The whole point of Early access is to really get the product out to people before it's completed and there are also lots of other features that we have planned for the future that won't be in there either. What will be in PerfectGolf is a high quality golf game with some great courses, real time physics (no predetermined ball behaviour) and we even model our wind on real world turbulence. So while we may be lacking in some features hopefully we will have some others that count for a lot.

• Dazmaniac, KenR, Richard and 5 others like this

#9 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:25 PM

We will however have a first person mode, so while we might not have one feature ready in time for Early Access we will have another. The whole point of Early access is to really get the product out to people before it's completed and there are also lots of other features that we have planned for the future that won't be in there either. What will be in PerfectGolf is a high quality golf game with some great courses, real time physics (no predetermined ball behaviour) and we even model our wind on real world turbulence. So while we may be lacking in some features hopefully we will have some others that count for a lot.

Mike, thanks for the clarification. I feel much better now. I fully understand that the availability of all features is not feasible for early access.

Thanks again,

Richard

Posted Image

#10 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:29 PM

It's good to get progress reports such as this and the prospect of playing without an avatar doesn't disturb me when thinking in terms of using a clicking system.  However, I'm not sure that I would be too comfortable if I was looking to use some form of a 'trueswing' method.  That said, it will be great to play the game in any state of development knowing that the guys are still working on the systems and making changes and improvements as we go.  After wandering through the latest walk-through, those that prefer TGC are welcome to enjoy their choice - I've waited through Kickstart and paid for TGC but will continue to wait for the completion of PerfectGolf.

#11 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:56 PM

OMG Daz, I sure hope that we are both wrong. Personally I believe it would be a 'disaster' and would really be putting gas on the fire.

Of course, I could put on a 'Marketing Spin' and take the position that the avatar is there. We just call it the 'invisible man'. :huh:

IMHO, and I could be wrong, but I really believe that the inclusion of some sort of avatar (even if it's initially not a high quality one) for the Early Release is an absolute necessity if PP wants to introduce PG in the best light.  First impressions go a long way in creating a buzz for any product especially video games.

-MERACE

#12 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:12 PM

Great news Mike. One question, wiil some sort of trueswing be available on the early release?

#13 Thrangar

Thrangar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

Some thoughts that went through myhead

Wow I didn't expect this

No avatar.......hmmm never see it anyway to busy looking at meter

Early release, another one, many will say I will wait.... uh oh moneys from ER a little thin

however I believe most will buy eventually....can never have to many non EA golf games

#14 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:31 AM

We have a  great character model and we have some animations for it however we don't think the current 'none motion' capture animation is good enough and it doesn't currently interact with the landscape well enough to deal with some of the unusual lies you can get around a golf course. 

#15 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:35 AM

Great news Mike. One question, wiil some sort of trueswing be available on the early release?

Yes we will have a mouse swing in the game as well as a click system. Not sure about gamepad support for early access but we will get it in there if possible and will add afterwards if enough people like to play that way.

#16 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:05 AM

Yes we will have a mouse swing in the game as well as a click system. Not sure about gamepad support for early access but we will get it in there if possible and will add afterwards if enough people like to play that way.

If you get the gamepad sussed out there will be those who are currently playing TGC, and like the gamepad controller, who would become potential customers. :)

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#17 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:32 AM

Thanks for the update...

Ken

#18 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:41 AM

I am hoping that I can start at what ever skill level I want, rather than the TWO system were you had to build yourself up, what a freakin pain that was.

CGX Bruce R

#19 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:02 AM

Using my mouse in a vertical swing, basically required  my mouse to be in a certain position on or near my golfer, if I get it write that what I have read the lack of an Avatar will mean no real golfer per say to start with, if this is true, not sure were I would put the mouse to start the vertical swing.

I for one couldn't care if you didn't release a version of the sim till next year sometime, but of course I only joined recently and can understand you wanting to get something out to the hungary masses sometime around Christmas.TW basically had a slider you coul;d move back for an elevated shot, Links had a green setup, were by you could move your feet back, thus placing the body in a position that allowed more loft, which way have they decided or have they decided on a totally different method, Talking about game physics, I take it, if the ball lands in the fairway above your feet it will go right and visa versa if the ball is below your feet, so one has to adjust accordingly, no doubt that will also apply to a lesser degree if one is chipping or pitching to the green on a sever slope.

In TW when hitting to a P3 in expert mode, one not only has to take the wind into account when judging distance, but if their is water facing or to the side slightly, extra distance has to be added for the water as well, in other words if the green is 230yds away with a breezy wind that is in your face, you have to basically add an extra 20yds to the shot to get comfortable over, same thing if the pin is to the front, has no wind but a bunker directly behind it, is that going to apply here, also if one was in deep rough, had a creek in front and wind against 85 out, you basically had to use a P/w or 9i elevated to safely get over. I found it amazing just how much a texture like water had on shot selection.

CGX Bruce R

#20 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:14 AM

happy days mike and team

this is better than a mocha and a butterscotch muffin with white melted chocolate on top

hey i have been a 3 click mouse player for many many years,

i have however been playing tgc with a xbox 360 controller, it took me a while to get used to it but its very good now once you familarise yourself with it, i tried the ps3/4 controller but joy sticks are too low for me, the xbox 360 controller is good as i use the left stick whic is more in front of you and when using your thumb you get a more consistent and straight shot and power as well , the left stick  is higher up and found it better than the right lower stick.

also with all the buttons on the controller you can get camera shots , clubs all options at the ready in  both hands very easy and quickly , which is very good when designing courses as well.

i didnt think i would like it but i have come around and its more realistic than the mouse but i like both though, 

so thanks mate for the info, we aussies are very excited to hear this great news

thanks stephen down under

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users