• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:24 PM

We're doing our mouse swing slightly different than other games so edging will be less of an issue for those who like to compete online.

• truckerkills likes this

#42 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

This may be a mute point because I have no idea what the first person perspective looks like.  It may include a way to tell when you are at the top of your back swing.  

PG is often referred to as first person but it is indeed third person, simply without the player being shown (unless the player is doing a Happy Gilmore). They could simply have that backswing length bar Links had.

#43 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:10 AM

It's often referred to as first person but it is indeed third person, simply without the player being shown (unless the player is doing a Happy Gilmore). They could simply have that backswing length bar Links had.

No, never, not in a million years is an "backswing length bar" going to fly with me.. Period... Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#44 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:12 AM

Third person view is watching yourself and 1st person is looking through your eyes. We will have the ability to drop into first person view and walk around the course at any time but we're still considering whether to actually have a 1st person view mode while swinging.

• truckerkills and IanK like this

#45 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

No, never, not in a million years is an "backswing length bar" going to fly with me.. Period... Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only as a stand-in until the player animation is introduced I should have said. I too wouldn't want to see it later on. And definitely not like WGTs.

#46 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:37 AM

Shimonko, were you involved (maybe a bad word) with TWO in the beta's? Or when it was released, because they had a vertical bar for putting that I simply hated, that's why I said what I said, although you could turn it off but it was one of the most arcadish things I had ever witnessed... We called it the Putt-O-Meter.. I was dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb...

But I understand what you were asking for, just something to help us Motion Swingers until we get the Animated Player..

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#47 g3b

g3b

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:09 AM

The news is great!  The synergy created by the merger with Nicklaus Design group will only make the final product better I am sure.  Will we have the ability to have multi-players at one PC or is the multiplayer option available only online?  Hopefully we will have an MOP creator for the game similiar to what exists in Links03.  Also one last thought/question is anyone beta testing the game with the alpha Windows 10?  Am thinking about running Links with a trial version of it.

Thanks again for the progress report.

g3b

#48 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

afaik we all have either Windows 7, 32 and 64bit or Mac. No Win10 alpha I think.

Who cares...

#49 scajjr29

scajjr29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the update MJ.

IMO the 2 best real-time mouse swings are in PGA 2000 and the CPG/WGC2011 games. Something close to those in PG would be really nice.

While I use the xbox360 controller in TGC, it's not truly a real time swing (stopping a backswing halfway according to the golfer animation but the result is anywhere from 45-80%).

Sam

Desktop- MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro cooler, 32Gb DDR4-3600, ASUS 6900XT LC Hybrid, Corsair MP600 1Tb PCIe 4 NVMe (x 2), 850 EVO 1Tb, Corsair 750Gb SSDs & Hitachi 3Tb HDD ,EVGA 1000PG PSU,Monoprice 27772 32" 4K HDR monitor x2,Windows 10 Pro x64, Salient Arch Linux

Laptop- Eluktronics (Clevo) P670RS-G  i7-6700HQ, 32Gb DDR4, 512Gb & 256Gb NVMe SSDs, GTX 1070 8Gb graphics, 17.3" 1080p G-Sync, Win 10 Pro x64,

XBox One X 1Tb w/2Tb external HDD, PS4 Pro 1Tb w/1Tb external HDD

#50 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

The news is great!  The synergy created by the merger with Nicklaus Design group will only make the final product better I am sure.  Will we have the ability to have multi-players at one PC or is the multiplayer option available only online?  Hopefully we will have an MOP creator for the game similiar to what exists in Links03.  Also one last thought/question is anyone beta testing the game with the alpha Windows 10?  Am thinking about running Links with a trial version of it.

Thanks again for the progress report.

g3b

afaik we all have either Windows 7, 32 and 64bit or Mac. No Win10 alpha I think.

g3b, I concur with fungolfer. I've not installed Windows 10 but from what I seen in various newsgroups, I can't think of any reason the PG wouldn't run just fine on a W10 platform.

Regarding Links 2003, I've seen at least one person, over at Links Corner, that is running Links on W10. It seems to work just fine. Of course, the various patches would be required just as they are for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1.

Richard

Posted Image

#51 AlanR54NC

AlanR54NC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

Great news MJ. Thanks for the update. Reading a lot of the threads I think there is still confusion on early access. Early Access does not mean you are getting to play a complete version of PG before the public. It more like Here's a car. ITs not painted, seats aren't upholstered , only has one gear, no power steering or brakes....but you can drive it around and tell us what you think.

That being said, its still great news because the more input we as early adopters can provide the better the final product can be.

• Richard likes this

Intel Core2 Duo E6750

4GB Ram

Win 7 64 bit

ATI  Radeon 5700

#52 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

My limited understanding of Steam is that it is more of a content delivery system - a place where you can purchase & download games. You don't actually play "on" or "through" Steam. But, I could be wrong.

I have a similar question. In reviewing their website, it appears that you don't actually download a game to you computer, for use off-line, but rather are playing a game in the 'cloud'. Is that correct? I for one, would prefer to have the game on my hard drive.

Richard

Posted Image

#53 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

No Steam usually allows you to download the game to your PC. I'm sure this will be the case with PG

• Richard and truckerkills like this

#54 MarkSC

MarkSC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

Hello, great to see the progress and can't wait for Steam early access! Let me add my vote for Xbox controller as an option.  I have a wrist injury that prevents me from using the mouse for long periods, so I greatly prefer controllers. TGC has implemented it well, and I'd really love to see that for PG.  

#55 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

Third person view is watching yourself and 1st person is looking through your eyes. We will have the ability to drop into first person view and walk around the course at any time but we're still considering whether to actually have a 1st person view mode while swinging.

My hope is that you do consider it Mike...

#56 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

No Steam usually allows you to download the game to your PC. I'm sure this will be the case with PG

Does this mean that you don't have to use Steam once you download the game?  Will you be able play online using PG server without using Steam?

• axe360 likes this
Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440
Logitech Gaming Mouse G502

3 Click PRO Level

#57 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

I have a similar question. In reviewing their website, it appears that you don't actually download a game to you computer, for use off-line, but rather are playing a game in the 'cloud'. Is that correct? I for one, would prefer to have the game on my hard drive.

To be able to use Steam you have to install the Steam client on your PC. It usual installs to default of:-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

When you download games from Steam, they are placed on your hard-drive like a normal install from a DVD. They usually have the content installed to:-

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

You then run them from your LIBRARY within the Steam client.

You can run some games direct from the .exe that is installed on your hard-drive, but it will try and load the Steam client. It will then realise the Steam client hasn't been opened/connected and give you the option of starting the game in Offline Mode. This should then load up said game but not have Steam running in the background. Obviously this way you get no online interaction in your game as you are running offline.

Your Steam account also keeps tabs of what games you have, so if you ever uninstall a game, it removes all the local content and leaves the game entry in your library. You can then easily re-install the game at a future time if you ever want to play it again.

Steam also has the handy auto-updates mode, so if you have this enabled, whenever you log in to the Steam Portal it always looks to see if any games have updates pending and starts downloading them. This feature can be disabled if you prefer.

;)

• Richard likes this

#58 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

So we wont be accessing tournaments and online play, from PG's website? Hmmm..

I thought PG was going to have it's own servers?

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#59 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

I am sure that you will be able play PG tournaments and online play from PG's server going through Steam client.  I wanted to know if you could play on the PG server without using Steam client.  I was hoping that once I downloaded the game I would never have to deal with using anything from steam again.

Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440
Logitech Gaming Mouse G502

3 Click PRO Level

#60 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

You don't need Steam to play PG tournaments as the servers are on PP side. You can even install PG and then uninstall steam, that also should be no problem at all. PG installs in it's own directory so there should be an .exe file just like now and you can start playing the game using this exe. Once the game starts you can use the PP Servers and play. No need to have any steam servers etc.

• axe360 and Hammerfest like this

Who cares...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users