#61 Volker

Volker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSehnde, Germany

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

I am sure that you will be able play PG tournaments and online play from PG's server going through Steam client.  I wanted to know if you could play on the PG server without using Steam client.  I was hoping that once I downloaded the game I would never have to deal with using anything from steam again.

Hey guys, there is absolutely no problem with Steam. Easy download and secure payment and you always can play online or offline if you want to.

#62 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

Thank you fungolfer.  I feel a lot better now.

Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440
Logitech Gaming Mouse G502

3 Click PRO Level

#63 J_Schollmeyer

J_Schollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

And why do I need Steam?

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

4GB RAM

Samsung SSD 840 Series

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (1GB RAM)

Samsung SyncMaster T260HD & T2770 (Resolution: 1920 x 1200)

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

#64 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

You don't need Steam to play PG tournaments as the servers are on PP side. You can even install PG and then uninstall steam, that also should be no problem at all. PG installs in it's own directory so there should be an .exe file just like now and you can start playing the game using this exe. Once the game starts you can use the PP Servers and play. No need to have any steam servers etc.

If you are correct fungolfer then all is good with me... Long as I don't have to pay twice?

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#65 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:29 PM

And why do I need Steam?

Another gr8 question....

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#66 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:24 PM

Another gr8 question....

Steam is needed to get the game. They have a huge community and alot of space. I guess the PP Servers would be very busy once everybody is downloading the game. There is no problem like that on Steam. It is easy to use and safe. And it might be the fastest way to get the game ;) :)

Axe, you don't have to pay twice. Once you buy the game on Steam you get a Key. And PP will know that this Key is correct and will allow to install the game and use every service combined with the Key and game. If you buy a game in a store it is exactly the same. You get the CD, install the game, enter the Key and enjoy the fun. This is the same, it is just digital download not a CD in your hands ;)

There really is nothing wrong or bad about steam. It is just the easiest and fastest way to get the game :D

Who cares...

#67 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

You don't need Steam to play PG tournaments as the servers are on PP side. You can even install PG and then uninstall steam, that also should be no problem at all. PG installs in it's own directory so there should be an .exe file just like now and you can start playing the game using this exe. Once the game starts you can use the PP Servers and play. No need to have any steam servers etc.

I have found that when I download games from Steam (have over 70) they are put in folders within the Steam directory on my HD (as i made reference to in an earlier post). If you uninstall Steam, then there is every likelihood the game folders within the Steam directory will also be gone.

Steam is just an online portal for obtaining games. You load the games up from within Steam and it runs in the background, but there are no restrictions as to where games are played, so you can easily join a hosted server from within the games own multiplayer lobbies.

I used to play the driving game RACE'07, which I had purchased on Steam. The league we ran was organised by RaceDepartment.com who had their own servers. You fired the game up from within Steam, but once in the game, Steam just sat in the background and I connected to the RaceDepartment servers from the Multiplayer menu in the game.

Many games on Steam these days have achievements, so whilst you were connected through Steam to play the games, as you played the achievements would be unlocked for that game in your Steam account. I see Steam as a PC version of XBOX LIVE or PS+. It's an online gaming portal that allows you to purchase/download games, download free to play games and join Early Access games (which are effectively pay-to-join ALPHA/BETA), but this also means the price you pay to join the Early Access gives you the final full release at no further cost. The other option is waiting until the game releases and paying full price.

#68 J_Schollmeyer

J_Schollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

Could someone of the devs please explain why the pre-alpha of PerfectGolf will be offered over Steam? I'm no online player and currently only play Links 2003 and in the future I want to play PerfectGolf. I want to buy the game and play it on my computer without any third-party components. Can you tell me if this possible with the pre-alpha as well as with the final product?

4GB RAM

Samsung SSD 840 Series

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

#69 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

Ok thanks guys. That makes me want to ask this, those that played TWO (I also hated that game) remember, you just went to their website and started playing, I remember they used Origin for something but I never had to have a separate account and one that ran in the background, unless Origin ran in the background.. I wasn't happy with TWO and about the only thing you could do easily was get on and play a course, albeit alone...lol

All getting a bit confusing.Also,  will having Steam running in the background cause Lag? I know TWO had lag in it..

Steam for Dummies please.. I looked at their site but... I have no desire to join some huge community thingy, just to play golf, if that's the case?

I hear it runs in the background and I'm sure you have to be logged into it to play, then you have to be logged into PG as well?

If you know..... Thanks.

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#70 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

The game will definitely require Unity 3D if you want to design courses (third party). I also have Unity Web Player (third party) installed on my PC, but not sure if Perfect Golf actually requires this.

I'll leave it to AJ and MJ to reply about why they have chosen Steam for Early Access.

@Axe - can't say I have noticed any lag in the Steam games I play, and there are plenty, lol. Also, yes there is a massive community (millions of players) but you don't have to be part of it. Yes, you would have to install Steam, but if you don't add any Steam online friends then you are you alone.

I can understand all this angst about having some third party software 'interfering' with your playing, but it just doesn't bother me in the slightest. For me, Steam is a way of handling my gaming library. But like I say, I appreciate for others this is not the case.

;)

#71 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thanks Daz, good deal...xbjv3s.jpg

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#72 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

Larry no problems with playing on Steam, I have lots of games in my Steam library. Is it possible that you might use a bigger typeface in future . . . LOL red is OK

#73 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

Lots of talk about Steam but really it's a no brainer for indies such as ourselves, why? It has a huge user base and very good system for downloading digital games so that if you every lose them from a hard drive crash or something its easy to recover. There really are no downsides about doing it this way, their download servers are very fast and stable and there is a large community of people who buy their games through it already. 

Members from Steam voted in their thousands so we would get the game 'Greenlit' and released there so if you want to support us you will find that getting the game through steam will be the best way.

• Perculator likes this

#74 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:02 PM

Lol Jim... Got my point across though.. hehe..

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#75 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:02 PM

Lots of talk about Steam but really it's a no brainer for indies such as ourselves, why? It has a huge user base and very good system for downloading digital games so that if you every lose them from a hard drive crash or something its easy to recover. There really are no downsides about doing it this way, their download servers are very fast and stable and there is a large community of people who buy their games through it already. 

Members from Steam voted in their thousands so we would get the game 'Greenlit' and released there so if you want to support us you will find that getting the game through steam will be the best way.

Of course I will support this game, just want to be as informed as possible.. Thank sir...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#76 J_Schollmeyer

J_Schollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:43 AM

If it's only for distrbuting your game then i'll accept this because PerfectGolf seems to become the most exciting golf game to date. I trust in you and your company. Keep up the good work.

4GB RAM

Samsung SSD 840 Series

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

#77 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:00 AM

Great update, many kudos..............

• Hammerfest likes this

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#78 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

I noticed DX 11 appeared to be a minimum requirement to play TGC, is it the same with PG, I think it was funGolfer that stated we all have win 7  I don't, and I don't have DX 11 only 10 with my Nvidea GTS 8800 640, Do I need a DDR 5 Vid card to play this or that.

I know Mike said that they are designing the game for all systems, but all games do have at least one minimum requirement.

CGX Bruce R

#79 Harald

Harald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNuremberg, Germany

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

I noticed DX 11 appeared to be a minimum requirement to play TGC, is it the same with PG, I think it was funGolfer that stated we all have win 7  I don't, and I don't have DX 11 only 10 with my Nvidea GTS 8800 640, Do I need a DDR 5 Vid card to play this or that.

I know Mike said that they are designing the game for all systems, but all games do have at least one minimum requirement.

Bruce be sure you can also play the Game with your Card. DX10 or 11 only are only for the Quality of the Polygons, Shaders  and other tech Stuff like this and deppends not a better Graphic Card. To use DX11 you need only Win 7 because DirectX is a API for Windows to combine your Hardware better with the Games.

I7-6700k, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream 8GB,16 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200, Enermax Revolution87+ 850 W ATX 2.4, SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Eizo Color Graphic CS270 - 27", Win 10 Pro (64bit)

#80 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

DX11 isn't required to run PerfectGolf. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users