• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:14 PM

We have opened up a new section of the forum for all things design related and here it is! 

There are a series of CF video tutorials in the tutorials sub forum that will explain everything from how to get CF, how to install it and then obviously how to use it to make a playable course for the game. We will keep adding to these to show more advanced features.

We have a new Q&A forum too so if you get stuck either I or one of the beta testers will be along to help you out.

CF might seem a little daunting at first but with a little experimentation and some time spent following the tutorials you will soon be playing your own creations in PG!

• Jimbo63, ed dawson, garynorman and 10 others like this

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:00 PM

Great Job Mike, Happy to see your baby presented to all.

Also love the look of the new CF, wonderful.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:45 PM

The tutorials are superb!
  • SReesor likes this

#4 Bunksie18

Bunksie18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:51 PM

Mike, what can I say, absolutely fantastic tutorials, but then I did not expect anything less considering your passion for PC genre golf.

I bought most of your APCD courses and couldn't believe the realism you achieved. Truly immersive experience.

Today I had to dig out your - Mike Jones Course Design Philosophy articles that I downloaded and kept tucked away from back in 2004. Wonderful starting point for the novice in golf architecture and course design. For anyone interested, there was also a link to a great wealth of real course design  @ GolfClubAtlas.com-The Study of Golf Course  Architecture that some budding enthusiast might find helpful. 

Mike, once again, for your selfless  devotion and willingness to share, I thank you most sincerely.

#5 St Hubbins

St Hubbins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:11 PM

Hi Mike,

I wanted to echo the comments above. The tutorials are absolutely superb. I built my first hole within 30 minutes of firing up Unity.

Just one question. Is there a way for the Vimeo videos to pop out to full screen size from the forum thread? I ended up going to the PP Vimeo page and finding the corresponding video there but there are a lot of them and so not that easy to find the matching one.

Thanks again. Course Forge is a wonderful tool.

#6 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:50 PM

Try right clicking on the video, choose This Frame, then choose Open Frame in New Tab and see if that helps.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#7 nikuk

nikuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:33 PM

After diddling around in the forum thread I just went to PP Vimeo page and opened each video in a new tab, watched them chronologically. Much simpler, more info.

I too agree that the tutorials were superbly done, thank you. I appreciate the format of "let's build a hole" as opposed to "this button does this, this does that". I built a couple holes last night & this morning. Now I just need to get a better understanding of Unity... I'm inspired by how powerful it is but will play around cautiously.

#8 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the comments, I will keep posting the videos as we have just scratched the surface of what CF can do in the initial tutorials. I guess the format of the tutorials is the way that suits my style of learning too - get in and create something rather than read the manual!

BTW in most of the videos you have a full screen option on the bottom of the video bar, on the ones where this inexplicably does not appear, you can usually just double click the video for it to go full screen.

• St Hubbins likes this

#9 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:55 PM

fantasticly exciting !!!!!!!!

#10 SmokaSizzle

SmokaSizzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:19 PM

I have never gone in for any sort of designing before but this really has me interested.

Great tutorials thanks Mike. 

76561198001305935.png

#11 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:28 PM

The tutorials are great and CF is great (but challenging).  However, I am one of those who do prefer to read the instructions and to have a hard copy of the Icon explanations.  Are there any plans to make something along the lines available as I am currently needing to run 2 PCs - one showing the video and the other on which I work along - those who know me know I'm a dumbo :wacko:.

• worrybirdie likes this

#12 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

those who know me know I'm a dumbo :wacko:.

Most mackems are, Ed!  :D  :lol:   ;)

• ed dawson likes this

#13 Kirsche42

Kirsche42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 03:46 PM

I just followed Mike´s tutorials to create my first hole. Some things are easy to get into knowin APCD, but several things will take a while to learn ( especially moving & rotating, haha ). The tutorial is great. Thanks a lot! :)

I finished my first hole aligned step by step with the tutorial but the course stops loading in game at 50% while trying to play my first hole. Think I start from the scratch again... B)

#14 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

I just followed Mike´s tutorials to create my first hole. Some things are easy to get into knowin APCD, but several things will take a while to learn ( especially moving & rotating, haha ). The tutorial is great. Thanks a lot! :)

I finished my first hole aligned step by step with the tutorial but the course stops loading in game at 50% while trying to play my first hole. Think I start from the scratch again... B)

I would guess that your scene name has a capital letter or space in it - these are not supported in the PG loading.

#15 Kirsche42

Kirsche42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

Nope, I watched this tutorial too, lol. Coursename is "coursetest4", so no capital letters or spaces. :D

#16 OnyxCarp

OnyxCarp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAmersfoort, Netherlands

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:42 PM

Great job. And the PP Unity interface is very intuitive -don't have to be a Michelangelo to get the feeling of designing a Sawgrass! Both thumbs up.

#17 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:42 PM

Do you have one pin position of each type?

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#18 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

Needed to Build and play...

1 tee assigned to the correct hole

1 shot point for par 4's

2 shot points for par 5's

1 pin of each type, easy,med,difficult, assigned to correct hole

OB around the Course or Hole

Any rouge pins or tees that are planted by mistake can interfere with building also.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#19 Kiwi Mace

Kiwi Mace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:54 PM

I too echo the thoughts above.  The tutorials are outstanding and quite simple.  I am glad that I took some time to learn Unity (not a pro by any means!!) - it definitely has helped navigating my way through the initial stages.

#20 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

Great job Mike - very informative and easy to follow tutorials. Had to find another way to pull in the speedtree files as dragging them across with Unity open would not work for me, so I found the asset file on my PC and dragged it into that and it works just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users