#41 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:29 PM

I owe Mike and the Devs a big thank you as well.  Just played my par3 which I created using Mike's excellent tutorials.  Still some kinks to work out and I am sure some headaches are to come, but I definitely feel like creating a course is doable for me thanks to this tool.  Everyone involved should be proud. 

Glad to hear Keith. Unity and CF can be a handful at times (often through careless handling on my part) but if folks take time to watch MJ's excellent tutorial videos and even read some of the other designers posts on these forums, things start coming in to focus and even folks who have never designed courses in this or any other games, start to feel that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Here's to you reaching a fully designed 18 holer one day.

#42 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:36 AM

If you were an APCD user and liked the functionality of creating a layout quickly by drawing lines and shot points and having the basic shapes drawn, you can use the overhead camera image of this and bring it into CF to use for tracing without the need for Terrain Forge.

Just put down a basic layout in APCD in a single overhead / top view camera window on a perfectly square plot that will match the size exactly of your Unity plot. I suggest 2048 × 2048. Screen capture that square plot as a .jpeg and then bring it into Unity / CF as a texture. Distances should match. Then layout your splines over the top and just cover up the trace image later with painted textures.

If this is hard for anyone to understand without images, I could make a video.

Matthew, just as a learning exercise I have been doing almost the same thing for a course I designed for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008, using the Google Earth image I had for the course. Unfortunately the height data is a real problem.

#43 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:19 AM

The tutorials are great and CF is great (but challenging).  However, I am one of those who do prefer to read the instructions and to have a hard copy of the Icon explanations.  Are there any plans to make something along the lines available as I am currently needing to run 2 PCs - one showing the video and the other on which I work along - those who know me know I'm a dumbo :wacko:.

I like a manual too but then when updates changes are done the manual becomes out of date but they way my brain works I do need a manual I took some notes and made a document file have not proofed it yet but it should help maybe with what you may like for me I would forget something and then have to figure out which video it was in and what part of the video - the document was made with MSWORD and here it is in .pdf format and word format which should allow you to edit parts of it or all of it if you have a program that can open the word file. If you don't have a color printer Staples etc can print out the .pdf file but it may be 1.00 a page or more   Disclaimer: my notes may be wierd and not easily understood and may be vague and lacking in complete thought. 

Oh I only cover up to the Water Hazard Videos may make more notes later... 

Ok below are two links this takes you to Google Drive where you can download these files  just click on the link an d you go to Google Drive and you can download the file connected to this link.   Click on the down arrow thing. 

This one below is the doc file which you can edit 

https://drive.google...eUhsWC1tRGFLY2s

ok this next link is for the .pdf file which you can not edit unless you have some fancy program 

https://drive.google...QnZLdWdlYnRqdjg

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#44 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

Thank you. A really good resource. I've been doing something similar but just on paper.  A good quick reference guide.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#45 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:05 PM

Bless you! This is much better than the scribblings I made during the tutorial.

#46 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:12 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this and I am positive that it will be of great assistance to me and hopefully, to others :D .

#47 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:55 PM

Glad it helps - One can grab a mesh and then hold down the <CNTRL> key and resize it but I was wondering is it possible to MOVE It ... 

??

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#48 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:10 AM

Try holding down SHIFT while grabbing a control point
  • J.H.Buchanan likes this

#49 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:56 AM

Their is a new Version of Unity Editor, I take it were still using the same version as described in Mikes Tutorials.

CGX Bruce R

#50 Bruce R

Bruce R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:18 AM

When navigating around the plot in Unity,  on the tutorial made by Mike, he navigates to a hill or a rise and then just continues, I do it and the terrain dissapears and all Im left with is the splines, with no filled in texture, would this be down to a lack of memory, I only still have 4Gig DDR 1600, cant get money together to buy more.

I have a lot of plots but want to do a fictional course first, until I get used to it, but first I have to learn to navigate around the plot first, if I keep getting loss of texture every time I go up over a rise, I will never get used to it.

My Doggy got a heart condition due to bacteria from a bad tooth, that cost two grand, and 150 every 50 days for tablets.

I really want to get my teeth into this, as I say I have a lot of Real Australian Dems and one day would like to make Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath as two examples among many. They may never be used here or at OGT for tournaments but that's the least of my worries, I design for pleasures sake.

RobC and I among a host of other designers made numerous courses for TW following the Euro and PGA tours on a weekly basis.

• cajuncapgun likes this

CGX Bruce R

#51 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

Bruce try adding a human height marker or any object. select the object and press f, that will refocus the camera.

#52 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

You can put in a Human Height Object that is provided with course forge and place it into  your scene at a location you want to be able to instantly go to and you can even rename it then if you are on say hole 9 you can click on this object and zoom over to it - you may have placed it on hole 2 or somewhere. 

Check out the video - you go to the Project area which is on the right side and click on the course folder to look in it and then click and drag the provided human height onto your scene 

Then it will be shown on the left side under Hierarchy and you can right click on it and rename it to something and double click on this to zoom to it. 

You delete it by making sure it is selected and then pressing the delete key 

#53 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

ditto

#54 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

Thanks J.H.Buchanan,  another cool thing. That will come in super handy.. :D

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#55 milwsteve1

milwsteve1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:24 AM

Mike I am really enjoying your videos and being from Iowa we have several courses that would look great in the game.Looking forward to the up dated version of the course forge and many more options in the assets like more trees,bushes,flowers,animals,birds,really enjoy the course forge so far.

#56 dblewis

dblewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:36 AM

Mike, your tutorials are splendid.  Not one thing went wrong until I began the second hole, the par-4.  When I attempted to put in the fly-by I must have accidentally hit a key that put the screws to me.  I lost the terrain!  The two holes were still there floating in the air.  I went down to the list and found the terrain that I thought was right and dragged it into the picture.  It seemed to work at first and I proceeded with the tutorial, but soon learned that my designed holes were floating above the imported terrain.  In examining the situation I realize that although the holes still retain there elevation characteristics, the tee boxes and everything else are floating above the terrain about 12 feet.  Hit a shot wide of the designated hole area and it drops down to the terrain below the whole hole...playable in Perfect Golf as long as I don't stray.  I would appreciate an explanation as well as a fix, although I fear my work will just be experience gained.  Thanks!

#57 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:47 AM

Mike, your tutorials are splendid.  Not one thing went wrong until I began the second hole, the par-4.  When I attempted to put in the fly-by I must have accidentally hit a key that put the screws to me.  I lost the terrain!  The two holes were still there floating in the air.  I went down to the list and found the terrain that I thought was right and dragged it into the picture.  It seemed to work at first and I proceeded with the tutorial, but soon learned that my designed holes were floating above the imported terrain.  In examining the situation I realize that although the holes still retain there elevation characteristics, the tee boxes and everything else are floating above the terrain about 12 feet.  Hit a shot wide of the designated hole area and it drops down to the terrain below the whole hole...playable in Perfect Golf as long as I don't stray.  I would appreciate an explanation as well as a fix, although I fear my work will just be experience gained.  Thanks!

Hope this doesn't sound rude whenever you back up your scene back up the terrain it may not be the proper thing to do but when I back up my scene I save it to a different file name each time for example h1a  which means hole 1 a backup them h1b which is hole 1 b backup which means the b backup is after I have done more to the hole and each time I back up this scene I also back up the terrain each time in a separate file name .... things got screwed up for me once but all I had to do was go back about 2 file names and all was fine I did not loose much of the course at all only a little bit of work on the hole I was working on. 

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.   One time I locked the keys in my car was not a problem at all I simply put my hand in my other pocket as I carry two sets it was no big deal screw Murphys law  laugh at it daily 

#58 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

Are you're X, Y and Z positions still set at zero in the terrain inspector.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#59 dblewis

dblewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:48 PM

Thank you, Clubcaptain!  Y somehow had been changed to 4.something.  I reset it to 0 and now everything seems to be right on.  I sincerely appreciate your help as well as the former back-up advice from J.H.

#60 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:08 PM

Glad it helped.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P