#21 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:04 PM

Great job Mike - very informative and easy to follow tutorials. Had to find another way to pull in the speedtree files as dragging them across with Unity open would not work for me, so I found the asset file on my PC and dragged it into that and it works just fine.

I had to do the same with files for Unity when creating Abbotsley a while back. Dragging and dropping into Unity refused to work for me.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#22 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

After I imported the ST Trees package, I see them in the Project window.  But when I choose the trees icon in the Inspector window, I only see the conifers.  How do I get all the different tree species to show?

#23 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:52 PM

underneath the different trees in the inspector window there should be an 'Edit Trees' button...click that...then click 'Add Tree'

Another winow opens up drag the tree you want to add from the project window into the slot that says 'GameObject' then click 'Add' and you should be good to go

• nightowl likes this

#24 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

Thanks, RobC. 

#25 balaceanca81

balaceanca81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:22 PM

RobC,i don't have the "edit trees'button,what i did wrong?....thanks.

#26 Lucajack

Lucajack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:13 AM

Hi guys i'm luca and i'm new.
I have a question for you. I already have my course designed in cad. is it possible to import single spline ad cf trace? Thanks!! 😊

#27 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:06 PM

I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention using "cad".  You're probably in uncharted territory there, sorry.

digital_dragons.png

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#28 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:19 PM

Hi guys i'm luca and i'm new.
I have a question for you. I already have my course designed in cad. is it possible to import single spline ad cf trace? Thanks!! 😊

I am assuming you mean you have a 2-dimensional tracing of your course made in CAD. If this is true, you could export the overhead view of your entire course tracings as a single image file. I would suggest creating a 2048x2048 cropping of your exported cad image. This can be done in any image editing program. Then import into Unity as your first terrain painting swatch. Tile the image the same dimensions as your terrain size. Probably 2000x2000. Then, you can trace with CF. The issue will be size of your image correlating to the size in your 3d world. Use the CF ruler under the CF shovel button and measure around. You will then either need to scale your image or your terrain to get the yardages correct. Remember Unity dimensions are meters. CF ruler can show meters or yards I believe. There is no way to get unity to recognize the tracings you have done in CAD though if that's really what you meant. I will try and make video of this as several people are asking about real course tracing.
  • jimst57 likes this

#29 Lucajack

Lucajack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:27 PM

Thanks! I already start as you explain 😊😊 for real course could be easier import satellite view from bing and trace it i guess ⛳️️

#30 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:18 PM

Thanks! I already start as you explain 😊😊 for real course could be easier import satellite view from bing and trace it i guess ⛳️️

Yes, if it's a real course satellite is much easier. Thought maybe you had drawn a fantasy course for some reason in cad.

#31 Lucajack

Lucajack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

yes.. in that case the only way! 👌

#32 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

I will try and make video of this as several people are asking about real course tracing.

This would be a tremendous help as I have been trying to do this forever, but have given up...

#33 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

If you were an APCD user and liked the functionality of creating a layout quickly by drawing lines and shot points and having the basic shapes drawn, you can use the overhead camera image of this and bring it into CF to use for tracing without the need for Terrain Forge.

Just put down a basic layout in APCD in a single overhead / top view camera window on a perfectly square plot that will match the size exactly of your Unity plot. I suggest 2048 × 2048. Screen capture that square plot as a .jpeg and then bring it into Unity / CF as a texture. Distances should match. Then layout your splines over the top and just cover up the trace image later with painted textures.

If this is hard for anyone to understand without images, I could make a video.
  • ed dawson likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#34 ed dawson

ed dawson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

Thanks Matthew - I for one am familiar with APCD and always found the course layout process there to be fairly straightforward.  I think if you have the time, a video of the process you describe would be very helpful.  At the same time, I'm not sure how many new CF users still have APCD on their system - I may be a minority and if so, it would be a waste of your time - but the procedure does sound interesting.

#35 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:14 AM

I've kept the APCD installed and most of my courses, even the unfinished ones. I guess I'm kind of a hoarder of data. I don't really use it much.... sometimes I might open it to look at some textures or to find an old routing I've done that I like. Plus I'm still doing some conversions of the courses I made with it. I think my days of actively using it are done, though. There's just too much grunt work that Course Forge has essentially eliminated and made 100% redundant.

This particular trick I've done once or twice and I thought it might help people who are stuck sort of looking for places on blank ground or who may not want to draw a bunch of rulers.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#36 Griz891

Griz891

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:10 AM

I've got it all ready to roll but no clue what to do....lol. Glad Mike has these tutorials. I'll have to watch and read up on them some weekend and maybe dive into this. Looks pretty complicated from what I've gathered so far.

#37 DOC300PLUS

DOC300PLUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Mike, it is a great work. CF is great. Tutorials are awesome. You are our hero.

I am a Mac user. Unfortunately, it was not possible to save and play my first hole in my Mac. I think software was designed to save the courses to Windows only. Please find out the error in the concole attached.

Nurettin

#38 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:06 PM

Doc, go ahead and start your own thread on this. K11 uses a Mac exclusively.
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#39 DOC300PLUS

DOC300PLUS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Crow357. I have now posted it as a new thread.

#40 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

I owe Mike and the Devs a big thank you as well.  Just played my par3 which I created using Mike's excellent tutorials.  Still some kinks to work out and I am sure some headaches are to come, but I definitely feel like creating a course is doable for me thanks to this tool.  Everyone involved should be proud. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users