77 replies to this topic

#1 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

So, pot bunkers have arrived. But how to tackle those beasts?

I have no idea. Honestly!

So I'm just coming back from a 3 hour trial-and-error session, although Mike (a truly great guy!) kindly offered me a template as a starting point. But I decided to start from scratch and at zero, to gain a better understanding of all the settings involved. I can't say I have progressed far, but I've made some baby steps and here are my findings.

The first difficulty when creating a pot bunker layer in the layers library is that whatever you do you will not see the result. What you get is this:

N3A687O.jpg

...terrain poking through your meshes. That is due to the fact that the terrain needs to be lowered in order to make all the deep earthworks of a pot bunker visible. Only then can you assess the result. After two hours and countless errors and calculating then lowering the terrain 80 or some times (15 seconds each time), I finally produced my very first pot bunker that deserves to be shown in public. Yaay, say hello to potty alpha:

Mr3WlZv.jpg

Bit crummy, granted, but it's my first one.

Oh but how? Well, next image shows you how, and if you are a designer in need of pot bunkers, feel free to replicate the settings in my layers library.

lQG1DUl.jpg

Warning, this is not the official, PP sanctioned way. I may be tragically off, so use these at your own peril. A few key settings.

• The fringe width is setting the angle of the wall. It's set at 0.2, meaning that the lower sand surface is 20cm inside the outer border.
  • All the depth settings are vital to create, as in this example, a rounded top and bottom edge. If you want hard chiselled edges at the top, set the Blend and Fringe depth to zero or very few cm.
  • To get a flat sand below, you must tick the little F square in the Pot section. F stands for flat.
  • The "Pot" depth setting of 0.07 determines the fall from the LOWEST point of the bunker outline. The fall distance to it's highest point is considerably larger... if you draw your pot bunkers onto a slope. If you want them on flat ground, you need to clone the layer and increase that one setting to dig down deeper.

Anyway, start with these settings, then fiddle around with them cautiously. Then recalculate, then wait an eternity for the terrain to lower, observe cause and effect, amend and improve, rinse and repeat...

dox5Kiy.jpg

One more thing: You will need an extra layer. So create a new layer that contains the wall material, then select it into your new pot bunker layer to where it says pot. 

nVCuGrr.jpg

There are sometimes problems with UV mapping of the textures. Oh, you're new here, sorry: UV mapping is a term that refers to the way textures are projected onto a mesh surface. There are weird vertical striations along the entire wall, like hair lines, for one. Also, curves bending in two different directions tend to distort the texture. And the normal mapping takes on some weird cross-hatching effect.

I'll spare you the details, just realise that the more complex you make the outline of your pot bunker, the more it is likely you will encounter weird UV mapping sights.

8wHZuG1.jpg

But, oh! I can barely contain my joy. Finally, after 2+ years, we have pot bunkers. And don't they look sweet from a certain distance? And finally...

nimoG6Z.jpg

Further up, I replaced one large standard bunker with two smaller pot bunkers. They look better if you keep them on the small side and use more than one of them to team up against the players. I adore how they look like pits of despair and crank up the fear factor.

Any questions? Don't ask - I just published all the answers I have and am clueless beyond what I showed and told. But try and work with this and have some fun for yourselves nevertheless.

• Fairwayman, Tresclub, ed dawson and 8 others like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#2 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

Nice work K11.

Those potties look good. Liking the lower lip on entry and then the higher bunker wall at the back.

#3 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:12 PM

How do I import K11 into to the assets folder ????

• Crow357 and SReesor like this

#4 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

Nice Work!

#5 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:43 AM

Looks really good, K11 .... and way, way off in my future design efforts, I might add!

#6 Pitbull

Pitbull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:10 AM

Nice!

#7 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:32 AM

nice work, where do you get the sod wall texture? also i tried this and i had to lower the terrain inside the bunker to actually get it to show, then on hole refresh it fills back up?? all appears too complicated for little old me, i think porthcawl can stay as it is lol

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#8 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:20 AM

Nice one K11 I shall revisit this when I start St Andrews...Thanks for all you do for the community mate

Cheers RobC

#9 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:47 AM

Can anyone explain briefly what makes pot bunkers difficult to create in PG ?  Their shape ?  Getting the wall to behave like real terrain ?

Would the following be as difficult, or could stock CF do it?

unnamed.jpg

article-0-0CF78E5A00000578-956_634x371.j

#10 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:37 AM

How do I import K11 into to the assets folder ????

I'm already there. But I'm invisible and password-protected. 

Looks really good, K11 .... and way, way off in my future design efforts, I might add!

Thank you. As with everything CF/Unity, the first one is always a pain, the second one is an annoyance, and everything after that is surprisingly easy. 

nice work, where do you get the sod wall texture? also i tried this and i had to lower the terrain inside the bunker to actually get it to show, then on hole refresh it fills back up?? all appears too complicated for little old me, i think porthcawl can stay as it is lol

I get the sod texture fresh from Mr. Internet, same as all my textures. I suppose I could post mine here - but no, sod it: Tough love it is, you chaps have got to learn how to conquer the many DIY elements of this process.

Can anyone explain briefly what makes pot bunkers difficult to create in PG ?  Their shape ?  Getting the wall to behave like real terrain ?

Would the following be as difficult, or could stock CF do it?

unnamed.jpg

article-0-0CF78E5A00000578-956_634x371.j

jt, what makes pot bunkers so difficult is the fact that they have perpendicular sides which need to be extruded vertically. That is something that requires extensive, additional trickery in a 3D environment and on a base terrain that is not suited for anything like that. And that also results in layer settings that are a bit, um, esoteric. I could think of rather easier ways to handle this, btw, but I wasn't asked...

The top bunker image (not a pot bunker) is very doable, either as a non-bunker sand mesh(without a "bunker"-string in its name to avoid terrain lowering in order to plant grasses on its inside) or as a classic bunker. The lower example requires a pot bunker shape and/or a bulkhead technique, probably a combo of both - tricky, but eventually doable.

• jt83 likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#11 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

Update:

This is how the 2nd green of the Peacemaker looked until a short while ago:

KeWvWRS.jpg

And after a quick burst of pottering about with it, it was transformed thusly:

pCuFrIN.jpg

What usually remains unseen are the underground parts. So I switched off the mesh display to show you how underneath bunkers CF and the game create deep troughs of lowered ground so that the terrain does not interfere with them. This happens on all golf courses underneath all bunkers, but it's covered up by the CF meshes.

d76PQAq.jpg

During today's session, I tweaked the pot settings and slightly altered the recipe in the Layers Library. Now the drop-off is a bit sharper and less smooth. Also, I of course learned that the Fresnel setting of the wall layer needs to be set to 0, to prevent weird gleaming parts around the bunker lips. Designers, help yourself to these settings if you want:

ki88yOW.jpg

I by now thoroughly do not enjoy the Lower Terrain icon - the one on the left with the red background. It takes forever to lower the terrain and as soon as you select another function it automatically switches off, taking forever once more to revert. Ah, the hardships we must endure... Well, the rest shall be just me going all potty on my latest course....

i8dYz3V.jpg

B75Xnm6.jpg

nQ7xPlF.jpg

RkacSZN.jpg

• garynorman, Keith, RobC and 1 other like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#12 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

While testing K11, you can just turn mesh renderer off on your terrain to see how the bunkers look without using the CF lower icon.

#13 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:10 PM

Neat! Very helpful advice indeed, thank you. Ah, it's those clever, little things that brighten up my days.

For those not yet fluent in Unity, Mike meant unticking the little box in the very top left corner of the terrain inspector, to the left of the name line that says "Terrain".  That box toggles the terrain on and off, showing only the CF meshes.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#14 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

K11

Can I firstly say that as you now have a new Kablammo! Corp employee, Mr. Potsum B. Unker at your disposal, you have no excuse not to 1). use them and 2). leave those kitties alone

Seriously though, your first endeavors with them are looking very very good and your insight, along with a number of other fine and upstanding member of the community, have inspired me to dust off my easel and architect rules (not that I really have either) and give this Forge called Course a go as soon as I have cleared my work desk of all the detritus and paperwork that one has to deal with being a self employed moron!

p.s. with these very impressive looking bunkers, I will seriously need to improve my sand skills as they are nothing short of shocking

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#15 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

Yes, I tend to go nuts on novelties like that and will have to learn how to tone them down from "shocking" to "rather troubling", a process which will take a bit of time. The Blammocorp resident project manager for deep pits and shocking gapes, incidentally, is not who you believe to be, but instead our very own, good old Mr. Jack Pot, assisted by a very capable young Mrs. Anita Potty. Who herself is assisted by an unemployed, disfigured stray we picked up near King's Cross station in London looking for rail tracks that don't exist, a guy called Harry Potter. Bit of a charity hiring, that last one, but he shows modest talent for the Dark Arts and manages to contribute now and then.

Also, his Kittyporthitherus apparition spell comes in quite handy at times.

I forgive you your misplaced emoji, since it is obviously accidental and unintended. You meant to type b plus ), I know that is a hotkey command for this atrocity, so my wrath will not harm you.

• mcthommo likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#16 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:30 PM

Seriously impressive bunkering!!

#17 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:00 PM

I give up, trying to incorporate these into porthcawl and they just end up a jagged sunken mess, the technical side of things goes way over my head when it comes to stuff like this...bah!

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#18 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:20 PM

I give up, trying to incorporate these into porthcawl and they just end up a jagged sunken mess, the technical side of things goes way over my head when it comes to stuff like this...bah!

Concentrate to something else for a while and let Portcawl rest. When there is a proper tutorial of potties, things will clear up. Your courses deserve to get finished, so don't give up. Next week is also good or week after that ;). We have used to wait, you know that :D.

I'm not saying it isn't great as it is, but I know you want to get it right to the end. Patience! 

#19 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

1. Create a new layer for the pot wall. If you don't have a texture for that, use the dirt lip that comes by default, you can always switch it out later. Set the physics material of this layer to "Earth" and make its Fresnel value 0 or  0.01

2. Clone your bunker layer, rename it pot bunker, then copy all the settings in image 3 of post 11 into its right column. Assign your pot wall layer to the pot section. Don't forget the little F command.

3. Best used as small, round-ish shapes on a slope. No need to excavate the interior of the pot bunker, as you would do with a normal sand hazard. Draw, calculate, enjoy.

4. In case of problems, make a screen cap including your layers library pot settings and post it here. General griping without factual clues is not a actionable cause for additional support.

I'm not posting this to gloat about how fabulous I am. If I were selfish, I'd rather keep it to myself to have a short-term edge on other designers. But I know how cumbersome this technique is, yes it is complicated in the worst tradition of all the other inhuman, nerd-contaminated Unity settings, and I want to blaze a trail for you guys. I want you to succeed, but even so, you sometimes will have to buckle up and push through the pain in order to grow and progress as a designer.

Or wait for the upcoming divine intervention by Mike.

• Richard and garynorman like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#20 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

K called me a designer! my day is now officially made! i'll wait for the tutorial, i got more courses to occupy my time, yours do look exceedingly good though.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users