Is PG three click only? Answer NO!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

After giving this much thought I believe, actually, I know,  that 3C (three click meter) golfing is the most fair and least hackable method of playing an installed golf game.

By default, True Swing players learned that running the mouse along a straight edge gave them farther drives and more accuracy. This will inevitably happen to Perfect Golf mouse-movers.

An old argument put out there by Edgers and Kensington mouse users is that there is Slow Gear for Windows Machines, allowing the user to disable graphics accelerators so the meter is so slow that a perfect snap can be done on every shot.  That notion is so far behind modern times that it's a moot argument*.

Anyone can get use to a 3-click meter and for you the designers, you won't have to listen to all the garbage in the future about True Swing versus Three Click.

Most importantly on your end, designing the BEST Three-Click UI and the ability to fade, flop, draw and punch through the a 3C meter would put this game way ahead of anything else offered online to-date.

Secondly, the designers would have one swing type to focus on and develop to perfection.

*anyone using slow gear (long ago) were outted quickly because it took too long to take a shot and that shot was a full meter swing (on long yard holes) with a perfect snap

#2 Thrangar

Thrangar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

It seams that 3 click is the favourite for online play for reasons stated, but I wonder honestly what would be favourite if there was no online play only single play at home enjoy the game for what it is?

#3 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:44 PM

Unfortunately, there's ways to cheat (I prefer the word "exploit") with almost any gaming device. There are mouse click macros that are easy to use and are almost undetectable.
Mike has also stated that the mouse swing being developed for PG will give the axis eliminating exploiters little to no advantage.

-MERACE

#4 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

The three click system, to my way of thinking, give no impression of swinging a golf club but I would want to stop people using it if that's what they prefer. I would rather use a controller and I hope that this method is included when the game is released.
  • Luff likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#5 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:34 PM

It has always surprised me that certain people want to cheat when they are only playing a game, how good it must feel to know that you have won by cheating. But I suppose it happens all the time in real life so why not in games. True swing for me, I have always disliked clicking.

#6 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:26 AM

They thrive on the feeling they get from 'outsmarting' everyone and not getting caught, rather than the feeling one gets from beating everyone fair and square. They don't realise half the field could also cheat if they were that way inclined.

From a developer's side, I could much easier hack a properly done 3-click swing than a properly done motion swing.  The more the control method simulates a real swing, the more unhackable it becomes. There is nothing we can do in real life to instantly become a world class ball striker.

• Luff likes this

#7 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:50 AM

I always get a kick out of people comparing the movement of a mouse to a real golf swing.

• fungolfer, ✠ davef ✠, karma4u and 1 other like this

#8 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 05:30 AM

I just wonder why some1 should call some players cheaters before the game is even developed... If any1 wants to cheat they will and there is almost no way to stop that. And I believe that there is no difference in the way the ppl swing. Look at the start of TGC, I think it was live for less than a week and the 1st low scores came up. I sure hope that PG will not have the same experience, but you never know. Low scores will come as sure as x-mas will come. So just enjoy the game and don't look at the other scores.

• axe360, balaceanca81 and Hammerfest like this

Who cares...

#9 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:13 AM

[quote name="Parboy" post="14510" timestamp="1415321409
I always get a kick out of people comparing the movement of a mouse to a real golf swing.[/quote]
I did t actually say that the movement of a mouse or controller was comparable to a real golf swing.
Ok, it's nothing like swinging a real club but at least your controller movement mirrors the avatar's swing. That's got to be better than just clicking a button!
  • Luff likes this
WWG1WGA

#10 Pappy

Pappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationRancho Cordova, California

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

True swing for me, I have always disliked clicking.

Ditto Jimbo.  Maybe the devs can put a program in there that can detect the motion of the mouse and if it is perfectly straight (as in edging) then a penalty will be assessed  - but I suppose one could cheat at that two. Also I think you can tell if your opponent is edging in RTS (Links 2003's True Swing) by looking at the club when swing is finished and seeing if it is always "square" or not. To me the toughest club to keep square is the putter (esp on long putts) so if always square then probably he's edging. I know at least a couple of the devs are long time players of Links 2003 and if they can't find a "fool proof" way to RTS without cheating then it probably can't be done.

THOUGHT: Most plan for their Vacation - but most do not plan for their Eternity!

Video       Introduction       My YouTube      The Return

#11 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

I always get a kick out of people comparing the movement of a mouse to a real golf swing.

Or people saying moving a little joystick on a controller is MORE realistic than a mouse or 3 click!  

#12 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

I just wonder why some1 should call some players cheaters before the game is even developed... If any1 wants to cheat they will and there is almost no way to stop that. And I believe that there is no difference in the way the ppl swing. Look at the start of TGC, I think it was live for less than a week and the 1st low scores came up. I sure hope that PG will not have the same experience, but you never know. Low scores will come as sure as x-mas will come. So just enjoy the game and don't look at the other scores.

Yep and it always get's me how these folks can say for sure (hey, your cheating with your motion swing) now how the hell would they know?

Is it when you lose the game? is it when you see someone making to many straight shots that you think, hmmmm I couldn't do that?

This is what you can do.  If you Think someone is cheating and of course you can't be 100% sure, then finish the game, take your whoopen and just don't play that person any more...

Also and probably the best way is to do this: Play 3 click only games.. How bout that? No suspicions, of course, when someone beats the tar out of you then, what will you say? I'll let you worry about that..

I motion swing and whether I play a 3 clicker or another Motion Swinger, when I lose, I just say  Thanks for the game, take care..

So, you could either play 3clik only or if you suspect someone of cheating, either report them (highly recommended) or say thank you and be on your way and never play them again..

I happen to like to play Motion Swing only games but I also have a lot of 3 clicker friends and like to play mixed..So I hope we have those options..

If someone is really cheating, I think there name will get around and no one will want to play them...

Sure I have played some folks with True Swing in the TW's PC series on Advanced level and thought damn they sure are hitting that ball straight, then I thought, pretty darn good player..

I hope this helps...

• Harald and SJude like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#13 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

I don't think it will, axe... I completely agree with everything you say, but cheat suspicions and gloomy hints at improper conduct are an established part of the background noise and the Forum lore of pretty much every computer game nowadays. Again, I think the best way to deal with this entire issue, which pops up with irritating irregularity (in threads quite often created by trolls), is not to worry one bit about it and, as you rightly suggest, to exercise caution in the selection of your playing partners. Peace!

There will be 3-Clicks, mouse movement swings and game controler thumbstick swings available, but perhaps not all of them right from the start. There will be 4 playing difficulty levels, perhaps 5, with ever narrower sweet spots, with increased mishhit penalties and with less and less in-game helps. There will be course settings for stimp speed on greens and firmness of the ground, as well as for wind speeds. And the unpublished philosophy of the Devs states that a truly well hit 100% perfect straight shot should be, as in a real life, quite a rare occurence.

But let's please not argue which method of swinging is superior to the others or which difficulty level offers a worthy challenge or not. That would be quite petty.

• axe360 and SJude like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#14 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

Or people saying moving a little joystick on a controller is MORE realistic than a mouse or 3 click!

Say what you like, but at least the mouse swing and using a 'little joystick on a controller' gives you real time feedback of your golf character's swing.
  • Luff likes this
WWG1WGA

#15 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

But let's please not argue which method of swinging is superior to the others or which difficulty level offers a worthy challenge or not. That would be quite petty.[/font]

Bingo!

...especially if a person has not given each swing method a fair try. When PGA Chamionship Golf introduced a mouse swing (TruSwing) along with its click swing I almost gave up using it due to it being unfamiliar and difficult to control. However, after many hours of practice I became more comfortable with it and ended up preferring it over the click swing. The same thing happened when I used the Xbox 360 controller during closed beta testing of the PC version of TGC.

My golf game controller PREFERENCE is now the gamepad but it is not necessarily THE most realistic simulation of a real golf swing.

Which begs the question, is there any chance that a gamepad controller be included in Early Release for PG?

-MERACE
  • karma4u likes this

#16 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:16 PM

Merace, we want to include the analogue controller swing but it's not in there yet in our current alpha. If it's not in there for the first Early access release it will be following shortly afterwards.

• MERACE and IanK like this

#17 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:47 AM

Merace, we want to include the analogue controller swing but it's not in there yet in our current alpha. If it's not in there for the first Early access release it will be following shortly afterwards.

That's great know!

Thanks Mike,

-MERACE

#18 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:32 PM

Regarding the various types of swing system, the three click method is the only one that doesn't require you to look at your player when you're playing a shot. Surely the best methods have got to be ones where you concentrate on your player character and adjust his backswing as nessesary.
  • Ron Piskorik likes this
WWG1WGA

#19 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

The best......?

Surely you need as many options as possible...

#20 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

The best......?

Surely you need as many options as possible...

Please yourself!
WWG1WGA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users