Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

Please yourself!

No, having options makes it easier to please the masses instead of just a minority.

I think that is one of the reasons I gave up on TGC, as they went mainly at the analogue stick control community (more than likely because of XBOX1 and PS4) and added a mouse-swing for PC but excluded a click swing meter.

#22 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:48 PM

No, having options makes it easier to please the masses instead of just a minority.

I think that is one of the reasons I gave up on TGC, as they went mainly at the analogue stick control community (more than likely because of XBOX1 and PS4) and added a mouse-swing for PC but excluded a click swing meter.

And that was something I never understood about TWO, they tried to go for the same thing, XBOX, PSwhatever, etc. etc..

Why in the hell would they develop a game on the PC for Xbox and ps4? I asked them (TWO) the same question but never got an answer..

I mean, I'm sure the answer was money BUT IT DOESN'T WORK!! You want something for xbox or ps4, then don't try to make it on the PC... You don't see me wanting to play Xbox with my mouse, now do ya?

We all know what the outcome was for TWO....Bad Berry Berry Bad!!!!!

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#23 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:37 AM

Daz, I never said anything about not having as many options as possible. I just said that I thought that, in my humble opinion, a method where you play looking at your golfer character, and getting feedback from his swing, is better than playing looking at a meter. If you don't agree that's fine.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#24 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:46 PM

Daz, I never said anything about not having as many options as possible. I just said that I thought that, in my humble opinion, a method where you play looking at your golfer character, and getting feedback from his swing, is better than playing looking at a meter. If you don't agree that's fine.

Apologies, must have misunderstood your reply to Ian, when he queried analogue stick being the best and stating that having as many options as possible, you just replied please yourself.

If PP can achieve what Links 386 Pro had all those years ago, the swingmeter and the animation moved together (there was no delay like in Links 2003), so it was possible with the click only swing the game had to time your swing by watching the animation and not the meter.

#25 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:10 AM

The beauty about most of the golf games we've all played, is along the way, they have released various swings. It never arrived with the first release though.. it developed. Granted, we have history to learn from, but the guys here at PP are aiming high and hoping to include as many options as possible when an eventual final creation is completed.

As for your 'best' comment Knighters... how would you feel if the clicking method was actually done on the golf animation itself (no meter) ?

#26 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

The beauty about most of the golf games we've all played, is along the way, they have released various swings. It never arrived with the first release though.. it developed. Granted, we have history to learn from, but the guys here at PP are aiming high and hoping to include as many options as possible when an eventual final creation is completed.

As for your 'best' comment Knighters... how would you feel if the clicking method was actually done on the golf animation itself (no meter) ?

Apologies if I sounded snappy.
Ian, that would certainly be an improvement but I still wouldn't use that method. I prefer using a method where I have real time feedback on my mouse or stick movement.
I know I'm new to this forum but I've been playing golf games since the days of the Leaderboard on the Commodore 64 and I've used most methods of input. The latest golf game, TGC, has the control method that I prefer.

Ian
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#27 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

Ian, we come from the same era.... lol... and in that statement, we've both tailored ourselves to different swings. That's the beauty of the game..

• IanK likes this

#28 Bob1527

Bob1527

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

Clicking in time with the animation would be fine for me,(limited hand movements)...but the more available control methods the better...everyone has their own favourite...

#29 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

one good thing about using a PS3 contoller in TGC is as far as I know no way to cheat, as there is with true swing edging and 3 click, I find I rarely hit a perfectly straight shot with the analogue stick which is a good thing, I already had a PS3  so I understand people not waning to buy new hardware.

#30 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

one good thing about using a PS3 contoller in TGC is as far as I know no way to cheat, as there is with true swing edging and 3 click, I find I rarely hit a perfectly straight shot with the analogue stick which is a good thing, I already had a PS3  so I understand people not waning to buy new hardware.

Again, I prefer to use the word "exploit" over "cheat".

Unfortunately, there is a way to use an exploit on the PS3 controller to hit perfectly straight shots.

HB Studio has plans in their next update for TGC to remove "straight shooter exploiters" scores from the leaderboards and put them on a separate leaderboard.

-MERACE

#31 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:15 PM

This is why we will be integrating tempo into the motion swing.  Poor tempo will cause you to hit pulls and pushes even if you swing the mouse back and forth along a straight edge.  Since getting the perfect tempo will be nearly impossible most people will find they have a pull or push tendancy and so will want to adjust their general swing path to account for it, so using a straight edge will be more of a hinderance than a help.  Its the same concept that causes the human brain to hang on to a swing when coming from the outside in a desperate attempt to not hit a pull hook or to flip the wrists when stuck inside to prevent a massive push to the right.  As for the swing meter, small random variations in the downswing speed can easily trick a programmed timing of the swing meter clicks resulting in very small misses that prevent the perfect shot.  Finally since wind varies in our game during the ball flight you cannot lock in a swing and expect to stick the pin.  A gust of wind or w drop in the wind after you have hit the ball will result in an unpredictable result.  As it relates to wind we not only have changing wind but also elevation coefficients ( Causes wind effect to increase as elevation of ball increases) but also a Gust Factor which increases the likelihood of a gust of wind as elevation increases.  All of which is beyond the control of the user as in real life and results in a randomness unseen in a computer golf game before 

• Jimbo63, JoeF, fungolfer and 5 others like this

#32 Topflight

Topflight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

Andrew, I really like how you plan on trying to limit the "exploiters" in the different types of swings. This is the game i have been waiting years to play and it is nearly here...good luck and keep up the good work

#33 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

all sounds good Andrew.

#34 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

I have always played powerstroke and I hit 1 open more often than not. Never felt the need to use a straight edge even when I dabbled with RTS for a while. Never been a fan of the click method as it doesn't feel like I am playing golf.

Posted Image

#35 Maineah

Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

I cant seem to figure out the quote function... so apologies in advance...

in response to Andrews post above ,  I'm curious to what "small random variations in downswing speed" actually means?? are you referring to just true swing ?  If your including the click system in that statement does it mean that even if we hit a perfect snap top and bottom we will have random downswing speeds that are out of our control?

Tim

#36 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:49 PM

The way I interpreted that, Maineah, was that the speed of the clickmeter animation slightly changes each time so mouse clicks programmed to happen at exact times after starting the swing won't get perfect snaps.

• fungolfer likes this

#37 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

That's exactly what I thought about it. I also think I read this somewhere, but it might have been in the test forums.

Who cares...

#38 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

Not sure if this will make it into early access but having the speed of the swing meter vary slightly depended on severity of ball lie slope is something we are mulling over. It won't be changed by much but would dissuade macro users as you would likely get more accurate results from simply playing the game the way it was intended. 

#39 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:27 PM

Not sure if this will make it into early access but having the speed of the swing meter vary slightly depended on severity of ball lie slope is something we are mulling over. It won't be changed by much but would dissuade macro users as you would likely get more accurate results from simply playing the game the way it was intended. 

Interesting idea.

Another thought is to change where the click/snap point is on the meter depending on the slope of the lie.  The more extreme the slope, the farther the click/snap point is from it's normal position to make the timing more difficult.

• Dazmaniac likes this

#40 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:53 PM

Interesting idea.

Another thought is to change where the click/snap point is on the meter depending on the slope of the lie.  The more extreme the slope, the farther the click/snap point is from it's normal position to make the timing more difficult.

What about when there is a sidehill lie have the swing meter rotate so that it follows the lie of the slope. So for a right hander, if the ball is well above the feet the 100% power and shot-snap points are somewhere nearer 11 and 5 o'clock, or 1 and 7 o'clock if the ball is well below.

I might be living in cloud cuckoo land with this idea, which may also have no bearing on eliminating any macro code hackers might apply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users