#41 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

As good as this course looks now, I get cold chills when I think about how good it will look with 3-D rough!  B)

I can't say I share quite the same enthusiasm for the addition of 3D grass to the game as you do. While I think it will add an impressive look to the game I also think that the photo-realism of courses will suffer because of it. I don't believe that 3D grass will allow us to create the same subtle effects that 2D textures do and I believe that courses will look a little less realistic and a little more 'video gamey' when it is introduced, much like 3D in TW08 did, compared to Links 2003.

TGC's grass looks more impressive than JNPG's, yes.... but I still prefer the realistic look of JNPG's courses over TGC's, and find them more immersive, even with their cruder 2D textures.

• RobC, TheOtherRick and uvmnick like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#42 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:00 PM

Daz et al,

I am in the process of watching the tutorials more than once so when I get some free time I can see what I can or more likely, can't do! I do completely understand that I will need to walk before I can run or in my case crawl before I fall flat on my face!

Gary- if that is no trouble then I would be very grateful. It would be interesting to see how differently a complete hack and novice would attempt a course on that site

McT

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#43 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:21 PM

Gary- if that is no trouble then I would be very grateful. It would be interesting to see how differently a complete hack and novice would attempt a course on that site

McT

Let me know when you're ready to start with CF and I'll send you the latest version of the terrain

#44 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:16 PM

Thanks Gary- I will be having a play with CF over the weekend so anytime later in the week would be cool

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#45 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 05 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

I can't say I share quite the same enthusiasm for the addition of 3D grass to the game as you do. While I think it will add an impressive look to the game I also think that the photo-realism of courses will suffer because of it. I don't believe that 3D grass will allow us to create the same subtle effects that 2D textures do and I believe that courses will look a little less realistic and a little more 'video gamey' when it is introduced, much like 3D in TW08 did, compared to Links 2003.

TGC's grass looks more impressive than JNPG's, yes.... but I still prefer the realistic look of JNPG's courses over TGC's, and find them more immersive, even with their cruder 2D textures.

I see your point, as the current rough looks good.... from a distance.  Where it breaks down for me is when I get with 3 yards if it, then it looks like something like abstract art.  It's just so pixelated.  The two samples of the 3-D rough textures that were linked eariler in another thread (I think it was by Andrew) sort of had a sterile, clinical look to them, at least to my eye.  I'm hoping there will be lots of varieties of rough and some variance in the uniformity of their textures.   

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#46 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

New video: Skybox, Fog and Ocean Water settings:

• nightowl, mistajam, SReesor and 1 other like this

#47 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:03 PM

New video: Skybox, Fog and Ocean Water settings:

That's great! Thanks for the mini-tutorial!

• garynorman and mistajam like this

#48 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

Top-notch, Gary.  Thanks.  Best line:  "We're in the UK, so it's grey and ... manky." 

• garynorman and mistajam like this

#49 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:10 AM

I purchased the All Skies 2 package.  When I drag and drop one of the skies, it works just fine.  However, I'm able to see the cube seams in the sky.  What am I doing wrong? 

#50 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:36 AM

I think that its probably because the 6 cube images need resizing.  In the folder for the skybox that you're using, you may need to select each of the images and resize them to 4096.

skybox.jpg

#51 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:42 AM

I'll try it. Thanks much!

#52 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

Gary and Mike,

Got a question for yer both!!

What do you think your ratio is for placing foilage and trees as opposed to random placement?

When I design a course I tend to do some sculpting of the whole land and then blanket place all the trees in that land mass. I then try and work around what is already there, obviously removing trees and foliage in the fairways and length of the hole. It is definitely the lazy way but I use the excuse that I imagine the forest is there already. You also get some nice natural elevations and tree placements.

Sorry Gary, Don't mean to hijack your thread, I'm just interested on how you approach this as I love what you're doing with the Links course. Very Impressive!!!

#53 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 04:06 PM

Gary and Mike,

Got a question for yer both!!

What do you think your ratio is for placing foilage and trees as opposed to random placement?

When I design a course I tend to do some sculpting of the whole land and then blanket place all the trees in that land mass. I then try and work around what is already there, obviously removing trees and foliage in the fairways and length of the hole. It is definitely the lazy way but I use the excuse that I imagine the forest is there already. You also get some nice natural elevations and tree placements.

Sorry Gary, Don't mean to hijack your thread, I'm just interested on how you approach this as I love what you're doing with the Links course. Very Impressive!!!

I can definitely see the merit in your approach.  Adding a random mass of trees and terrain elevations, then carving areas out for holes would result in some very natural looking work I would imagine.

Personally my ratio is 100% placed to 0% random, but that is absolutely no reflection on your method.  I just tend to work that way.  I do usually start each of my courses off with Mike's original plot and sculpt the terrain from there, but I delete all of the trees prior to starting.

#54 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:22 PM

Here's the next video.  In this one I add and flatten a cart-path using Easy Roads and add a fence designed in Cinema 4d...

• Justin9926 likes this

#55 drillerman

drillerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:25 PM

Wow! 100% placed! That's serious work. Wish I had the patience.

#56 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:24 PM

The next video is up...

Thanks to Mike for being the inspiration behind this one!

• nightowl, RobC, Justin9926 and 1 other like this

#57 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

New video...

Modelling, texturing and importing an object into Unity/Course Forge

• nightowl, Justin9926 and mistajam like this

#58 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

Here's another video... Yes, I know...  Another one...

This one is a progress update on my current course.

• nightowl and Justin9926 like this

#59 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:49 PM

Gary, Thanks for putting the videos up. I've been enjoying watching how you do things.  I was just curious how you set your terrain up? As far as the height map, detail  resolution, controlled texture resolution, and base texture resolution settings  are.

Justin

• cajuncapgun likes this

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#60 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip