114 replies to this topic

#1 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:05 PM

I've been playing around with Forza Apex.  It's free at the moment if you have Windows 10.  The game is pretty good and looks amazing on my 55" HDTV.  Runs 1080p at 30 fps on AMD 6300, 8GB, GTX670.  Gets a little choppy at times in heavy traffic.  PG runs at 25-35 fps on high setting.  Gonna upgrade to a GTX1060 OC.  PG looks great on my 55" tv.  Looks better than on my 24" computer display.  Think I'm gonna like playing PG with a controller from my couch.  That is if I'm not playing it from my simulator in the basement.   :)

Currently using a DS4 with PG and Forza via BlueTooth.  Just bought a Thrustmaster TMX Pro (with T3PA pedals) for $200.  I was considering the refurbished Thrustmaster TX for $200 but wanted to go with something that was reliable.  The TMX Pro saved me $100 from buying the T3PA pedals separately.  TMX had good reviews for feal and no FFB dead spots due to it being a hybrid belt/gear system.

Will report back after using the wheel for a bit.  Still waiting delivery. :)

#2 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:32 PM

You got it with the 

I've been playing around with Forza Apex.  It's free at the moment if you have Windows 10.  The game is pretty good and looks amazing on my 55" HDTV.  Runs 1080p at 30 fps on AMD 6300, 8GB, GTX670.  Gets a little choppy at times in heavy traffic.  PG runs at 25-35 fps on high setting.  Gonna upgrade to a GTX1060 OC.  PG looks great on my 55" tv.  Looks better than on my 24" computer display.  Think I'm gonna like playing PG with a controller from my couch.  That is if I'm not playing it from my simulator in the basement.   :)

Currently using a DS4 with PG and Forza via BlueTooth.  Just bought a Thrustmaster TMX Pro (with T3PA pedals) for $200.  I was considering the refurbished Thrustmaster TX for $200 but wanted to go with something that was reliable.  The TMX Pro saved me $100 from buying the T3PA pedals separately.  TMX had good reviews for feal and no FFB dead spots due to it being a hybrid belt/gear system.

Will report back after using the wheel for a bit.  Still waiting delivery. :)

You got the Thrustmaster TMX Pro with T3PA pedals for $200!?  Where did you get that combo for that price?  I've seen that combo at Gamestop for $250, but that was only after searching today!  The TMX Pro is reportedly reliable.  The only consistent complaint I read about it is the force feedback is a little weak, in some people's minds.  I tend to run my force feedback a little weaker than most people it seems, so I'd probably not have a problem with the TMX Pro.  

I'm anxious to readof your experience with it... what a bargain for what you're getting :o

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#3 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:05 PM

Got it on Ebay. Seller accepted my $200 offer.  There are still a couple of used TMX + T3PA on ebay.

#4 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:09 PM

Force Feedback should let you know what's going on, not prevent you from steering the car... LOL

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#5 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

Got it on Ebay. Seller accepted my $200 offer.  There are still a couple of used TMX + T3PA on ebay.

Thanks... you definitely got a deal!

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#6 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

Force Feedback should let you know what's going on, not prevent you from steering the car... LOL

That's my philosophy on it as well. B)

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#7 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:13 AM

Minor update:

I just upgrade my video to an MSI GTX1060 OC 3 X.  Still waiting on TMX wheel.  Looks like I should have it on 11/23.  Forza Apex now runs at 1080 with Medium detail and no drops in frames during heavy traffic.  Game is smooth.  PG is also running better.  Frame rates improved from 10 to 20 more.  But pretty sure my AMD6300 is still holding things back.

Btw, for those that have a DS4 wireless controller.  InputMapper is what you need to allow the DS4 to be used with Windows and PG.  Best part about InputMapper is it allows the DS4'saudio jack to be used by Windows.  I have my Xbox One headset plugged in to the DS4's jack and it works great in Teamspeak.  No need for a BT headset.   :)

#8 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 07:03 PM

After using the TMX for a few days, I can say that I love this wheel.  I can slightly tell that there are gears involved in the mechanism but during a race, I don't really think about it.  It feels very precise with all the 3 racing games (Forza Apex, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars).  And as reported by InsideSim Racing, there is no center dead zone FF.  Force feedback is good and more than strong enough IMO.  I love how it feels different with different cars.  With certain cars, it's very strong and makes it difficult to drive.  I can see children hurting their wrist if FF was set to max.

While doing some shopping today, I got a chance to look at the Thrustmaster TX458.  And boy was I glad I went with the TMX.  The steering didnt have any notchy feel to it but the wheel itself felt very cheap and toy like.  The TMX wheel feels a lot better and looks better to me.  If I had bought the TX, I would have had to replace the 458 wheel with a nice leather wheel ASAP.  Which would add another $150-200 to total cost. 

Early thoughts for each game:

Forza Apex is probably the best looking out of the three.  All the cars look amazing.  The game is free and number of tracks are limited. I've complete most of the free events.  Looks like I will need to buy DLC events, tracks, and cars if I want to enjoy this game further.  Game is very easy on medium mode.  On 1080p and auto medium settings, I'm getting smooth 60 fps.  The TMX was usable without and any manual configuration.

Assetto Corsa is last out of the 3 in graphics.  But still very good.  This game is super hard.  Even on the easiest mode(Gamer). it's still difficult to drive.  I bought all the DLC content during black friday sale at a big discount.  Sale is still on.  TMX wheel had to be manually configured before it was drivable.  On 1080p and max settings, I'm getting over 200 fps.

Project Cars is my favorite.  Graphics are better than Assetto and maybe slightly less than Forza Apex.  Might just be difference in color saturation.  Difficulty is in between Forza and Assetto.  Beginner mode is a little easier to drive than easy mode on Assetto.  I haven't even tried the Pro mode on Assetto.  Not sure if I'll ever get there.... :)  I really enjoy racing on Project Cars.  Not too hard and not too easy.  On 1080p and max settings, I'm getting over 200 fps.  The TMZ wheel was automatically recognized and usable without any manual configuration.

My specs:  

I7 4790K at 4.4 Ghz,  16GB ram, SSD, MSI GTX1060 3GB X running on Gaming OverClock mode.

Other thoughts:

AMD 6300 3.5(OC to 3.8) GHZ is garbage for Perfect Golf and these racing games.

I7 4790K at 4.4 GHZ will max out the MSI GTX1060 with only 40% CPU usage.   

Picked up a TH8A shifter for $108 at Microcenter

Now I need a racing rig... :)

#9 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

It sounds like you got a great, affordable solution in the TMX and the T3PA pedals.  That's a lot of hardware for $200!  I'm glad to read that you like both the feel and the look of the TMX.  I think the TX458 has a cheap, garish look to it.  I've felt neither of them so I can't draw a comparison there.  Your report that the force feedback is adequate is encouraging.  I think people think force feedback has to feel overly weighty to be getting the job done.  I just want proportional feedback to give me an idea of the car's disposition.

You confirm Inside Sim Racing's report that the wheel has no center dead zone FFB.  I have no problem with there not being any force feedback in the dead zone... that's why it's called a "dead zone" IMO.  The question is, can you dial the dead zone down to a small value and have it feel right?  I typically set my dead zones between 1 and 3%, depending upon the game.

I'm going to have to give Apex another go.  I've been so happy with Project CARS and iRacing that I haven't tried it lately.  I remember it being a bit juddery early on.  

If I were to buy a TMX today, I would also buy the "Basher Board", which is a small hardware adapter that allows the Thrustmaster wheels to use Fanatec pedals.  I've got a set of Fanatec Clubsport Elite pedals that I would like to use with it.  I love the simple, clean look and lines of the TMX.  It's great to read that the function follows the form here :)

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#10 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:54 PM

It sounds like you got a great, affordable solution in the TMX and the T3PA pedals.  That's a lot of hardware for $200!  I'm glad to read that you like both the feel and the look of the TMX.  I think the TX458 has a cheap, garish look to it.  I've felt neither of them so I can't draw a comparison there.  Your report that the force feedback is adequate is encouraging.  I think people think force feedback has to feel overly weighty to be getting the job done.  I just want proportional feedback to give me an idea of the car's disposition.

You confirm Inside Sim Racing's report that the wheel has no center dead zone FFB.  I have no problem with there not being any force feedback in the dead zone... that's why it's called a "dead zone" IMO.  The question is, can you dial the dead zone down to a small value and have it feel right?  I typically set my dead zones between 1 and 3%, depending upon the game.

I'm going to have to give Apex another go.  I've been so happy with Project CARS and iRacing that I haven't tried it lately.  I remember it being a bit juddery early on.  

If I were to buy a TMX today, I would also buy the "Basher Board", which is a small hardware adapter that allows the Thrustmaster wheels to use Fanatec pedals.  I've got a set of Fanatec Clubsport Elite pedals that I would like to use with it.  I love the simple, clean look and lines of the TMX.  It's great to read that the function follows the form here :)

Ya, the TX458's steering wheel was such garbage.  Can't believe it would come with something like that for the price they're asking for retail.  Looked like crap and felt like crap IMO.

As for the deadzone thing,  my understanding is that the wheel shouldn't shake for no reason like the G920 did in the InsideSim racings video.  My deadzone FFB's was at default of zero or all the way to the lowest I think.  I can set it to 2 or 3 and see what happens.

#11 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:52 PM

I was surprised to see that the TMX wheel doesn't come with a hard mount option, where one can mount it directly to a cockpit.  I have a Playseat Evolution and the clamp on the TMX would be a no go for me with that in the way.  I understand you can buy an aftermarket kit to hard mount the TMX wheel, for $25, but it's about an inch thick.  Why couldn't they just have included four threaded holes through which to hard mount the wheel to a cockpit plate?

BTW Zmax, how are the pedals working out for you.  Have you tried using the clutch?

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#12 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

It's too early to say.  The gas feels fine but i think i need to mod the brake.  Haven't used the clutch yet .  Still need to get a real racing stand so I can mount the clutch.  All the pedals are metal so they look cool.

As for hard mounting, I think a long bolt and a couple of large washers might do the trick.  

#13 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:07 PM

It's too early to say.  The gas feels fine but i think i need to mod the brake.  Haven't used the clutch yet .  Still need to get a real racing stand so I can mount the clutch.  All the pedals are metal so they look cool.

As for hard mounting, I think a long bolt and a couple of large washers might do the trick.  

I caved in today after stumbling upon a Cyber Monday deal that was still in effect at B&H Video.  They had the Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition, with the T3PA pedals for $299.99, free 2-day shipping and no tax :)   Your experience with the TMX and T3PA pedals, and Inside Sim Racing's selection of this wheel as the top in its class, along with this price, which is $165 less than I priced it at in the last two months!  It's not in stock right now but they say they're expecting a new shipment of them in this week.  

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#14 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:00 AM

wow.  thats a hell of a deal.  That leather wheel looks great.  Let me when you want to race Project Cars on pc. 

#15 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:44 PM

#16 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:22 PM

Killer! Now all you need is a Vive and you'll be in heaven!! Project Cars VR is downright nuts!!!

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#17 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:45 PM

Racing Line enabled, lol? That's like using Putt Preview in the TW games, lol.

Novel overtaking method too. Hit 'em up the rear first to warn them you're coming through, lol.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Joe Habiger likes this

#18 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:50 AM

Hey, I'm just starting out.  I'm a noob....besides, rubbing is racing, right?  :)

• Dazmaniac likes this

#19 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:51 AM

Killer! Now all you need is a Vive and you'll be in heaven!! Project Cars VR is downright nuts!!!

I wear glasses.  Don't think that will work with me.  Sounds cool though.

#20 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:09 AM

I wear glasses. Don't think that will work with me. Sounds cool though.

The lens are adjustable for this very reason.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users