#101 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:00 PM

Any serious driving for me is done on the PC. The main two titles I drive are not available on console anyway, so it takes away any controller issues, lol.

Anything on PS4 is more for casual fun. While I appreciate the difference between Controller vs Wheel/Pedals is like Controller vs Clubs/Simulator for a golf game, plenty if fun can still be had with a DS4 on PS4.
  • shredspillers likes this

#102 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

Daz,

Do you have any tips you can give me on how to keep the cars on the road using the DS4 controller?

-MERACE

Obviously the obvious one is practice, lol.

I come from years of playing the Gran Turismo series with controller from Playstation > Playstation 2 > Playstation 3

Accelerate and Brake are done via the L2 and R2 triggers, which help as they aren't just button presses so you can feather throttle/brake as required.

As for steering, for me it's all about smaller left > right movements of the left thumb-stick, so you are gently steering the car. Does requires a bit of feel in the thumb movement just like it does with the RTS-C swing in JNPG. On consoles some folks just move the thumb-stick to full left or right and effectively apply full lock which in turn can make cars very unbalanced and difficult to handle, especially when driving at speed.

Some games offer advanced controller editing, so you you can amend the steering sensitivity, so if you are a 'full lock' kind of drier, you can lower the sensitivity so that a smaller turn of the wheels requires a fuller movement of the thumb-stick. Also, where possible turn on TCS and Stability which should help with controlling the car.

I'll often drive from the cockpit view, so I can see the wheel, which gives me feedback for how much steering lock my controller movements are applying.

At the end of the day, a wheel/pedal combo is the way to go, especially with more hardcore driving games (which I always think are best played on PC anyway) but console racing with controller can be fun, once you get to grips with the controls.

On PS4 I'm currently playing DriveClub, Ride 2, DIRT Rally and Trackmania Turbo and will probably get Gran Turismo: Sport when it released in 2017.

On PC it is currently iRacing, RaceRoom Racing Experience and Euro Truck Simulator 2.

• MERACE likes this

#103 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

Daz,

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. :)

-MERACE
  • Dazmaniac likes this

#104 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

Daz,  that's an excellent guide for controller use in racing games.

Mark, let us know how that affected your experience, particularly in DriveClub.  I sucked with the controller in DriveClub, even more than I did in Forza 5 and 6 with one.  I'm hoping Gran Turismo: Sport will come with PC wheel support.  That way I'll be able to use my Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition wheel with it, as it doubles as a PC and XBox One wheel.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#105 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

I bought stick extensions for my xbox driving games.  A world of difference.  They were like $10 on Amazon.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#106 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

For the PCARS fans amongst us (not me) :-

Rumours circulating that PCARS 2 could be heading for a release mid/late September 2017.

#107 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

Cool.  Thanks Daz.

#108 Tee Bird

Tee Bird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:45 PM

For the PCARS fans amongst us (not me) :-

Rumours circulating that PCARS 2 could be heading for a release mid/late September 2017.

I played 3 hours of Arcade Cars before uninstalling that piece of...  Assetto Corsa, rFactor2 and even Race 07 which came out in 2007 are far better and are race sims, not simcade with extra eye candy graphics like Arcade Cars has.  Much in agreement here.   :)

#109 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

Nice to see the Porsche official license has finally been freed from it's Electronic Arts exclusivity of the past several years.

Already AC has been adding official Porsche DLC car packs and now iRacing have confirmed Porsche is coming to their sim this year, with the first car coming this month. Hallelujah.

2017 is looking a good year for the driving/racing genre on both PC and consoles. Pedal to the metal fellas.

#110 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

Well, thanks to Daz's excellent driving tips and a 60% discount I purchased DIRT Rally for the PS4. :)

I love the rural dirt road maps and how realistic it looks and feels.

The game has some very informative tutorials, but I wish they had drills incorporated with them like there are in the Madden 17. For the most part, I'm able to keep my car on the road and not finish dead last. ;)

I also downloaded DriveClub again, but I still have trouble keeping the car on the road. It doesn't seem to have a steering sensitivity setting in the options like DIRT Rally or does it?

-MERACE

#111 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:19 PM

I found The Drive Club to be very twitchy with the thumbstick steering... I was never able to adjust it to something that felt right.  If they ever add PC wheel support to Drive Club, I'd love to see how much that affects my experience with it.  Is Dirt Rally one of those rare PS4 racing titles that supports PC steering wheels?  I'll look it up and see.  Dirt Rally seems to get a lot of critical acclaim.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#112 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:26 PM

JC

PS4 and XBOX wheel support

http://www.thesixtha...lly-on-console/

#113 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

I'm not generally a motorbike game fan but I played Ride 2 the other day and I have to say it's pretty awesome when playing with a controller. Wish car games handled the controller input as well.

If someone want's to buy my G27 cheap, cheap it can be had. I think if I was going to get back into car sims I would be moving to a thrustmaster leather edition like JCat has.

#114 shredspillers

shredspillers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

A lot of people swear by these things where it all bolts to the unit and folds up easily to go in a closet, against a wall, under a bed in some scenarios, etc

http://a.co/6gDsyoO

Ejj8zso.jpg

I use this when I play Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2. I have the G27 bolted to it and can attest to its high quality.

#115 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:47 PM

If someone want's to buy my G27 cheap, cheap it can be had. I think if I was going to get back into car sims I would be moving to a thrustmaster leather edition like JCat has.

It's the best wheel I've owned MIke.  I also own a Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2, and I prefer the Thrustmater TX Leather Edition to it.  It's working great with the PC and the XBox One... quite a tasty bit of kit for $250!  :D

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users