114 replies to this topic

#81 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:33 PM

Max Verstappen uses a G27 !

I have a G27 although it hardly gets used these days. A few quick races on f1 2017 was about all I've done and I think a better wheel such as one of the Thrustmaster ones would reignite my interest.

• Tee Bird likes this

#82 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

Max Verstappen uses a G27 !

I have a G27 although it hardy gets used these days. A few quick races on f1 2017 was about all I've done and I think a better wheel such as one of the Thrustmaster ones would reignite my interest.

I've got a Logitech G920 and when it's working correctly, it still pales in comparison to my new Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition.  It's a much more satisfying race experience with the Thrustmaster.  I think in my case it has a lot more to do with the belt drive of the TX versus the helical drive of the G920.  The response of the Thrustmaster is so much more fluid and granular.  I still can't believe I got a wheel and pedals of this caliber for $300!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#83 Curious George

Curious George

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationPlanet Earth

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

"Project Cars is my favorite.  Graphics are better than Assetto and maybe slightly less than Forza Apex."

I found the force feedback among other things in Project Cars to be terrible compared to Assetto Corsa.  The graphics are nicer if you like the Grid series look although i find them cartoony in Project Cars.  The worst thing I found in the grphics department in Project Cars is the shella looking shine on the roads even in hot dry weather.  All these things helped make my decidsion to uninstall this game faster then any other i have purchased.  For me, Assetto Corsa wins hands down in the physics department with rFactor 2 right on its heals.

#84 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:00 PM

I still have and use my G27 and pedals, though only bolted to my desk. Had been looking at Fanatec hardware, but jay-zoos it is expensive. The wheel base, wheels and pedals are all separate purchases. Some of the wheels are €400 on their own, lol. Might have a gander at some of the Thurustmaster stuff in the new year.

A PC sim that has great sound and FFB is RRRE. It doesn't come with the glossy visuals of a PCARS or Forza but has the best FFB I've played and it so tweakable. Sound is also a strong point of the sim. It's woth a try for any PC racer, as the base content is all free. You then purchase DLC cars and tracks for the series you want to play, so you basically make the sim content the way you want it to be, though it is very DTM and WTCC oriented, though open wheelers are being added. It also offers AI, so is great for creating custom championships.

My only other PC drving is done on iRacing. Another title where it comes with a stock content and you buy subscriptions to race on the servers and also purchase DLC cars and tracks if you want them. No AI, so it's all racing against others online. Sim is making great progress with some recent additions in the Season 1 2017 build, but the tires are always a topic of forum chit chat, due to how some cars handle. Now they have gone to DX11 minimum, they are hoping to add more and more and make improvements on the existing content, especially the damage model, now they are free of the DX9 shackles.

#85 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

I was induced by Curious George to pick up Assetto Corsa last night on Steam.  It was only $29.99, and I figured it would be worth at least that.  It is a surprisingly good driving and racing simulation.  It doesn't have the flashy, glossy, detailed graphics of Project CARS, but its looks are definitely serviceable.  It looks to be beholding to DirectX 9, if I had to explain its appearance.  

The force-feedback settings even at stock are really good.  I've found a guide to tweak them online to settings that are even better.  I'd say I've already got them to where they're better than what I had for iRacing before I quit playing it back in January.  

I raced the AI in one step higher than the default difficulty and came in third in my second race.  I was very pleased with the way the AI drivers performed though.  I'll have my hands full in the next higher level, I know that for sure.  Everything about this game says "simulation" though.  It kind strikes me as the Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf of racing games.  Thanks for the encouragment to buy it George! 

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#86 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:09 AM

Got my TH8A shifter mounted and have been using it with both Project Cars and Assetto Corsa.  Shifter looks very cool and felt good.  Definitely worth the $150 price.  Only thing i didnt like was it needed to be hooked to the pc via USB for pc use.  The shifter din connection on the wheel will only work when used with Xbox one.

I agree Assetto Corsa roads look better than roads in Project Cars, the surrounding and the cars look better in Project Cars.

#87 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

Got my TH8A shifter mounted and have been using it with both Project Cars and Assetto Corsa.  Shifter looks very cool and felt good.  Definitely worth the $150 price.  Only thing i didnt like was it needed to be hooked to the pc via USB for pc use.  The shifter din connection on the wheel will only work when used with Xbox one.

I agree Assetto Corsa roads look better than roads in Project Cars, the surrounding and the cars look better in Project Cars.

TH8A looks great ZMax!  Does the mount support it adequately?  I don't have a mechanism for a shifter support on my Playseat Evolution.  

I'm digging Assetto Corsa more and more each day.   It doesn't have knock your socks off graphics, but the driving model and force feedback is great!  It's easily worth the $29.99 I've invested in it.

After eliminating my problem with skipping by uninstalling AVG, I resinstalled Forza Apex on my PC.  They've fully added wheel support since I last tried it back in February, and it's fantastic!  I can't get over how the handling and force-feedback are implemented in Forza Apex.  It conveys the weight transfer in the cars, impact effects with other cars, curb rumble and loss of traction better than any other racing game I've played with my new Thrustmaster TX.  The force-feedback and handling with the wheel in Apex, easily surpasses Forza 6 on the XBox One, which I thought were pretty good.... until I tried this --- I'm hooked!! :wub:

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#88 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

I used to have issues with AVG when I had Links 2001 and 2003. Forever giving false positives about the .exe command file.

Now just rely on Microsoft Essentials (Win 7) Defender (Win 10) and stuff like Malwarebites.

Glad to hear you've sorted the stutter for the racing titles too JC. Happy lapping, lol.

#89 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:16 AM

TH8A looks great ZMax!  Does the mount support it adequately?  I don't have a mechanism for a shifter support on my Playseat Evolution.  

My mount supports it just fine.  The 2 m6 screw holes were perfect.  For your playseat, I believe I believe you can get it for around $60 on Ebay.

#90 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the entertainment Zmax, have useda racing game for many years, really enjoyed watching you go around

i used to use the kb in the old days, wheels and everything now  Geez

Thanks 

#91 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:12 AM

Game is currently $25 on steam

Wow.  Thats $22 U.S. for Project Cars GOTY edition that includes all DLCs.

#92 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

Project Cars racers, team up and join us in OGT TS for cat/mouse races. These are 2 man team races. 1 player of each team has a super fast car and the other will drive a very slow and small car (Renault Clio Cup). We race on Neurburgring. Goal is to make your Clio finish first. You can either push/protect your Clio with the super fast car or try taking out the other team's Clio. These races are a ton of fun....:)

#93 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

For fellow drivers, if you don't have it already, DIRT Rally is currently part of the Steam Winter sale. Also on sale in Playstation Store, so presumably same for XBOX Marketplace as well.

Well worth it, especially if you like the challenge off off road rallying. Building on the more arcade DIRT series of games, they certainly hit the spot with this one IMO.

I've just started playing it again and loving every minute.

#94 Tee Bird

Tee Bird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:04 PM

I'd probably go this route as this would be in our media room where I play all my PC games.  This could easily be put away in a closet when I'm done.  This is the ticket.

I have that Wheel Stand Pro v2 paired with my G27 wheel.  It is a great choice.

• mebby likes this

#95 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:27 AM

For fellow drivers, if you don't have it already, DIRT Rally is currently part of the Steam Winter sale. Also on sale in Playstation Store, so presumably same for XBOX Marketplace as well.
Well worth it, especially if you like the challenge off off road rallying. Building on the more arcade DIRT series of games, they certainly hit the spot with this one IMO.
I've just started playing it again and loving every minute.

Can DIRT Rally on the PS4 be played with just a DS4 controller with reasonable steering control of the vehicles? I purcashed Driveclub when it first came out and gave up on it because I could not keep the cars on the road using the DS4 controller.

-MERACE

#96 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:00 AM

Join us in OGT teamspeak this Tuesday 1/3 4-5 est pm for Project Cars cat/mouse team races.  

#97 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:46 AM

Can DIRT Rally on the PS4 be played with just a DS4 controller with reasonable steering control of the vehicles? I purcashed Driveclub when it first came out and gave up on it because I could not keep the cars on the road using the DS4 controller.

-MERACE

M,

Yes.That is how I play both DriveClub and DIRT Rally on PS4, using the DS4 controller. In fact that is how I play all my games, driving included.

I only find ultra fast hypercars a little bit twitchy in DriveClub and the rest are well more than drivable. Also have no issues with the bikes in the game either. The controls in DIRT Rally needed a small bit of tweaking for my liking, but get the cars around the stages with more than enough control.

Only use the wheel/pedals on PC.

#98 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

Daz,

Thanks for responding to my post.

I'm a noob to driving games so not being able to keep the cars on the road is probably due to my inexperience (or I just suck at video games which is more likely the case ;)).

Do you have any tips you can give me on how to keep the cars on the road using the DS4 controller?

PS I don't feel too bad about not being very good at driving games using a controller instead of a wheel and pedals as JC said the same thing and he's a driving game aficionado. :)

-MERACE

#99 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

IMO, the difference between using a Controller and using a Steering wheel for driving games is like the difference between launching a bottle rocket and launching the Saturn V.  I've stopped getting driving games on the Xbox, just because of this.  Controller driving just freakin sucks... lol

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#100 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:16 PM

IMO, the difference between using a Controller and using a Steering wheel for driving games is like the difference between launching a bottle rocket and launching the Saturn V.  I've stopped getting driving games on the Xbox, just because of this.  Controller driving just freakin sucks... lol

I haven't had this much fun playing a driving game a long, long time.   The wheel with FFB is so much fun.  :)

• Crow357 and mebby like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users