367 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

Well we have continued to be hard at work on the next 1.4.2.0 update.  We have pushed the final version into beta with all the planned functionality and should be able to release as soon as we feel that any remaining critical bugs have been resolved.

Here is a list of the functionality and improvements that have made it into this release. 

Recorded Rounds, Compete Against Friends and Save Shots

Under the solo game type you will now see 4 tabs: Local Recorded rounds, Friends Recorded Rounds, Saved Shots and Create New Game. 

Recorded Rounds.  Players can now select to record their round either locally to their hard drive or to both hard drive and the PG cloud making them available to their Steam friends. The friend rounds tab contains the 20 most recent rounds recorded by friends.

Saved Shots.  Players can now save shots to their local hard drive for replaying later.  

You can lock a recorded round which means that when playing against that round, you must play at the same level and from the same tees .  If the round is not locked you can force the game to use the same tees as the recorded round by selecting ‘match tees’ in the pre round screen.

To save time on loading, Solo Play saved rounds and recorded rounds are only updated on game start.

Physics improvements

As Perfect Golf is now compatible with a much larger selection of Launch monitors this seemed like an ideal time to cross reference our numbers for ball flight and reaction on landing with direct comparisons to real shots in a much wider selection of scenarios. This meant that we could for the first time, gather and compare shot data from a myriad of short shots and bunker shots which had not been possible before. It also meant that using a large number of real golfers hitting real shots in full size simulators, we could really start to fine tune the ball flight and ball reaction on landing on a much wider range of shots.

After comparing the data we made some changes to the physics calculations which brought PerfectGolf even closer reality meaning that a player’s creativity could be rewarded while at the same time reducing the number of ‘go to’ shot’s that people had become reliant upon in almost all scenarios (such as the very high spinning pitch).

Further to this, another goal was to blur the lines between the different shot types in the ‘scoring zone’ ie a part ‘Full shot’ swing, the pitch, lob shot and chip. Rather than having one basic shot that would fit the bill for a certain distance and lie, now the player has the opportunity to create realistic bump and run shots from off the green due to our improved fairway physics or they can play a 3/4 Lob wedge and spin it out close to the hole. Another option is to pitch it and have the ball grab and release or lob the ball up high from short ranges without having the unrealistic ability to constantly stop the ball on a dime. We have Increased the amount of overswing power that can be accessed when chipping which helps when playing those bump and runs around the green.

Bunker shots have also received some physics love and now the ball behaves more realistically on shots where the ball is caught slightly fat or thin on levels above Amateur.

We have separated out Fairway firmness from Green Firmness allowing for a greater variety of game play settings and shot results so for example you can now play with normal fairways and soft greens if you choose to. 

Green Surface Options

We have added two new settings to the putting options when creating a game. Previously in all golf games and even in PerfectGolf, the greens have always been, well...Perfect! This is quite obviously not the case IRL and even the greens on the PGA tour have small imperfections which can cause the ball to move slightly offline (or even back online as the case may be!) Using robot putting devices the ball can miss the hole between 1 and 2 times on even a perfectly hit straight 10 foot putt and so again in our search for golf sim perfection we have added this as an option to the game. You now have 3 green settings to choose from:

Perfect - defaults to this green type which is the same as before and is billiard table smooth
Realistic - behaves very similar to a PGA tour green
Bumpy - Slightly less manicured courses or courses where the weather often stops the green surfaces from being as smooth ie. Links courses.

Enhanced Cup Physics

The ball/cup physics has been improved so that the ‘vacuum’ cup bug of the past few builds which enabled players to ram the ball into the hole at high speeds when putting has been eliminated. You will now have be more accurate with your line and your pace too as many of the putts that would previously been ‘sucked’ into the hole will now lip out if offline or jump out if struck too firmly. 

Three new Putting mode cameras have been added, designed to make it easier to play real time swing modes where putter movement is now more visible.  These can be selected in the settings menu and you can also toggle through them using the camera toggle key or ‘Dpad left’ function on the controller when on the green.

Improved Wind

Improved Wind effects on the ball in lower wind speeds and added the ability to change the wind in the game set up screen. It will default to your preferred setting in Weather Settings but you can now change it on a round by round basis.  

Restored the fluctuating wind meter on Pro and Tour Pro. We felt that it’s possible IRL to feel the wind changing as you plan your shot and it was unfair to hide this detailed information from the player at any level.

------------------------

All new AI player Implementation and skills settings

We have rewritten the AI code so that the golfers play much more like a human player, are faster and a greater variety of different skill levels can be achieved.

The computer player skill level for a listed shot type affects how likely he is to be able to pick a good shot from all the choices available to him.

The Accuracy affects his ability to hit the snap on a particular shot he has chosen

The State of Mind affects whether his is always trying to hit the longest shot with a club he can and whether he sticks to the aim points planted on the course by the designer.  Aggressive players will overswing more.

The Skill level of the golfer (In Player Difficulty) will affect how much the missed snap affects the trajectory of the ball

New ‘in game’ Controller menu

We have an all new in game controller menu which can be accessed with the Blue X button.  This brings up a menu of several items that were previously difficult to access due to combinations of buttons on the controller.  Items such as the original settings menu, scorecard, leaderboard, spot pin, tend pin, move tee, drop and the practice options were all added to this menu

Bug Fixes

Bug fixes to several modes of play including matchplay bug where players still in hole could be ignored

Added 3 person points alt shot to list of mops for that time when you have 6 players

Fixed pin tending on Alt Shot

Fixed plugged lies on Alt Shot following the player instead of the shot resulting in people seeing plugged lies in the green or outside the bunker

Fixes to hazard golf.

Improvements to the Simulator Console App

Many more minor bug fixes

Release of 1.4.2.0

Soon.... :)

• Dazmaniac, Fairwayman, cajuncapgun and 9 others like this

#2 les1959

les1959

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:23 PM

What more is there to say, but ............................bring it on......really looking forward to this update. Great work and thanks

les

#3 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:40 PM

The green settings are really fun to play with.

To go with "perfect", "realistic", and "bumpy", how about a fourth setting called "your muni course the day after aeration"  :P

• Sinewiz, JoeF and Crow357 like this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#4 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:53 PM

Restored the fluctuating wind meter on Pro and Tour Pro. We felt that it’s possible IRL to feel the wind changing as you plan your shot and it was unfair to hide this detailed information from the player at any level.

Always wondered about that setting in pro and TP. Good move to get rid of it.

• erwildcat and worrybirdie like this

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#5 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:00 PM

Amazing upgrades.

Particularly pleased about the recorded rounds which were always part of JN6. Can we please have the functionality (if not already there) to play against  recorded rounds in tournament play. This was one of the most used and enjoyable features in said JN6.

Tournaments or not how many recorded round will we be able to play agains at one time.

• Mailman likes this

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#6 Flyon

Flyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:25 PM

Sounds good AJ, especially the part about the wind.

Now all we need is a soundtrack, like some commentary. If we can't have a tks-type soundfile to install, then I would like to hear Feherty and McCord. Or even Mike Tirico or Scott Van Pelt if necessary. Anyone.

(I know I'm pipe dreaming, as far as getting anyone famous to do any voices for anything, let alone for a golf game these days.)

The point is: it's too quiet out there for me...more sounds please!

#7 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:56 PM

In the space of five minutes I went from despair after reading Mike's post re multiplay to exhilaration after reading Andrew's revelation re recorded rounds. Good brother, bad brother (j/k)

The second one makes the first one unimportant and inconsequential in my opinion as I would much prefer to play against a recording (with respect).

And the new putting changes are the icing on the cake.

Great news and thank you.

#8 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:06 PM

In the space of five minutes I went from despair after reading Mike's post re multiplay to exhilaration after reading Andrew's revelation re recorded rounds. Good brother, bad brother (j/k)

The second one makes the first one unimportant and inconsequential in my opinion as I would much prefer to play against a recording (with respect).

And the new putting changes are the icing on the cake.

Great news and thank you.

Not sure what you're talking about but I'm glad you're happy  :)

#9 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:19 PM

Really looking forward to this. Lots  from my wish list here. Great work guys - very much appreciated.

#10 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:48 PM

oh oh :)

Brendan

Admin for OGT fun tourneys

#11 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:12 PM

Great news on such a comprehensive overhaul of many parts of the game, and all moving positively in the right direction.

Really looking forward to release, and a chance to see some of the changes in effect in a forthcoming Twitch broadcast.

Good work to all in the dev team, and to those who are giving good input on the beta team.

• Crow357 likes this

#12 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:14 AM

Recorded rounds and Saved shots = awesome!

Haven't been able to play lately but this is making me salivate. Busy with work and carpel tunnel surgery coming up. Hands so numb I can hardly type a few words at a time. 

#13 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:06 AM

Recording whole rounds is fine, but as a solo player I'd simply like to record stats so I can at least better a personal best on a course.  That said, any update is welcomed with open arms.

• LeazesNDR, erwildcat and footslogger like this

#14 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:22 AM

Update sounds great! Of course there is always still work to do (no I won't be specific, you are smart people).

#15 footslogger

footslogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:34 AM

This upgrade sounds truly exciting.  'Improved wind effects on the ball in lower wind speeds' - is part of this a bit more lateral movement of the ball in cross winds?

#16 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:00 AM

YES!! The 'REC' round is back! :D LOVE IT! :wub: What a nice surprise at the end of the year. This is a biggy for a lot of offline players for shure. Should give JNPG a big boost in getting folks over the fence from other sim's I think. All the improvements are super but I REALLY like the brand new greensurface settings. Now that is something really original. Cup physics tweaks are also good news. Many thanks for all the hard work by dev's and testers. It's getting better and better all the time. 

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#17 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn the heavy rough

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

The update sounds great especially the physics changes.  I could care less about recorded rounds though as I only play multiplayer.

#18 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:44 AM

Please give the new putting physics a chance when you play the new build, and use the new putting cameras which are set higher so you can see the length of backswing much easier. Successful putting now depends on good line and speed and not as before when you could literally ram the ball home.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#19 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:03 PM

As an additional comment to IanK's, I'm loving the new update, but being a scrambler around the greens, my scores have increased by 5 to 10 shots per round. All aspects of the short game are harder now..... there's a lot to adjust to, and I don't adjust to things very quickly these days!  :lol:

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#20 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:40 PM

I'm sure many peoples first impression will be a bit surprising as your scores are sure to go up a little. That said, the new physics around the cup along with the realistic setting for putts have breathed a lot of new life into the game. Just saying, give it a chance, I'm sure in a little time you'll learn to love the changes as most of us have.

All that said, the guys are continually tweaking in order to get it "perfect". ;)

• cajuncapgun likes this

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users