• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Rfazamm

Rfazamm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:41 AM

Is it possible to play Perfect Golf without installing Steam on my PC? I don't want to play using Steam--don't want to run the Steam service and don't want to add the exceptions to my firewall. Also, want to play offline.

Please let me know if that is possible

Thank you

#2 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:50 AM

Don't think so.....they are working on a Windows 10 version though.....
PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#3 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

Is it possible to play Perfect Golf without installing Steam on my PC? I don't want to play using Steam--don't want to run the Steam service and don't want to add the exceptions to my firewall. Also, want to play offline.
Please let me know if that is possible
Thank you

Only way to get the game currently is through Steam.
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#4 Rfazamm

Rfazamm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Ok, thanks. I have Links but I'm looking for something updated. Never liked TW and bought The Golf Club but returned it when I have to run it through Steam. I thought if I bought the DVD, I could run it off that.
Thanks again, I'll keep looking.

#5 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

Just curious.  What is your problem with Steam?  I've used it virtually without error for years.

#6 gravedodger

gravedodger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThe northy part of Ireland

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Same here Crow, I started using Steam way back in 2004 and have never had a problem and the 2 stage security works as it should too.

#7 Rfazamm

Rfazamm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

I don't like to have extra services running on my PC. Check out services off Administrative Tools and you'll see Steam services running automatically. But more important is if Steam goes out of business, you can't play your games. My personal preference is to have the disk.
  • erwildcat, J.H.Buchanan and Tee Bird like this

#8 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:26 AM

I don't like to have extra services running on my PC. Check out services off Administrative Tools and you'll see Steam services running automatically. But more important is if Steam goes out of business, you can't play your games. My personal preference is to have the disk.

This is one of the few steam games I own - It is worth it but like you I wish it was standalone too 

I was pc gaming pre internet before we had access to the internet - if the grid went down right now for a week people would start jumping out windows 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:24 AM

I share many fond memories from the PC gaming area of old but the reality is that we've just moved on guys.

Services like Steam allow so much simplification from a developer viewpoint.  Whether it's DLC, DRM, Online/social aspects, digital purchase handling/redemption/gifting/refunds/hosting... on and on 

There a ton of really good aspects to something like Steam that take a load (a MAJOR load) of work off the backs of developers and simultaneously are handy for consumers also.

• LeazesNDR likes this

#10 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:22 AM

You'd never have Indie developers without Steam.  How do you put 100,000 titles on shelves at a Best Buy?  I don't really expect an answer to that.  The cloud is the wave of the future.  Running your PC off the grid with a gas powered generator is 1980's tech.

• LeazesNDR and gravedodger like this

#11 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:34 AM

I just want to have both I don't mind having steam but I also want to know 15 years from now I can still play this game that is not guaranteed when I have to connect to steam and the internet. A game like this could give someone great mental relief by stimulating their mind and getting their mind off the reality of their situation like if they are stuck in the Afghanistan somewhere without internet service or in a hospital room or rehab facility - I have been in rehab facilities where the internet only works in part of the building dealing with my dad. I just want it all I want both worlds. The made a song about it   - Uh, let me use the wonderful internet to bring it to you that without it would be impossible ... lol 

15,000,000 + views 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#12 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Steam games still sit on your hard drive and you can run steam in offline mode without the need to connect to the internet so in the unlikely event that steam ever did go out of business you would still be able to play your games.

• J.H.Buchanan likes this

#13 J_Schollmeyer

J_Schollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

Steam games still sit on your hard drive and you can run steam in offline mode without the need to connect to the internet so in the unlikely event that steam ever did go out of business you would still be able to play your games.

But to play PG in offline mode you need Steam or can I start PG in offline mode without Steam?

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

4GB RAM

Samsung SSD 840 Series

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (1GB RAM)

Samsung SyncMaster T260HD & T2770 (Resolution: 1920 x 1200)

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

#14 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

But to play PG in offline mode you need Steam or can I start PG in offline mode without Steam?

You do not need to be connected to the internet and/or Steam in order to play PG.  However, you will only have access to the default courses that came with the game since a connection to Steam is required to verify any purchased content and user-made courses.  

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#15 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Steam is also just a program that sits on your computer, you can launch steam without being online but until Steam goes bankrupt there's usually no need to do that  :)

#16 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

You do not need to be connected to the internet and/or Steam in order to play PG.  However, you will only have access to the default courses that came with the game since a connection to Steam is required to verify any purchased content and user-made courses.  

I haven't played offline in a while.  Is this still the case?  

Unfortunate that a huge percentage of the course library is unavailable if playing offline.  Even ones we've purchased or built ourselves? Yikes.

#17 Rfazamm

Rfazamm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

I still have some DOS games (run it in DOS Box) that run on my system. They are great games that cannot be found anywhere. (Remember Lance Haffner sports games.) I just want a good golf game that can run by itself. Thanks for everyone's input.

#18 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

I still have some DOS games (run it in DOS Box) that run on my system. They are great games that cannot be found anywhere. (Remember Lance Haffner sports games.) I just want a good golf game that can run by itself. Thanks for everyone's input.

Computer games for PC are not really made that way anymore. We could not have made the game without some kind of content portal to a wider audience. What you're asking for really only exists on consoles.

#19 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

Seems like the Links golf games are what r fase em might be after

#20 Rfazamm

Rfazamm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:26 PM

I have Links but looking for something different/better. Is it possible to run PG without Steam. Maybe install it with Steam, get the updates, but disable the Steam service and only run it when a patch or update comes out. I'll play with the default courses. TGC couldn't run without Steam. I think the older PC gamers understand the way the feel. I've been playing PC games since 1990 and still have some of them. I still play Madden 08 with the mods. Thank you for your help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Perfect Golf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users