Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

*** EDITED post to add download to start of thread

DPR House Builder Asset Package v 1_2 - download

https://www.dropbox....itypackage?dl=0

Putting tutorials together. Goal for release by tomorrow at latest.

Its seemingly innocuous appearance belies its power. I redid everything. Started with what I learned from the BETA and just made it better. The blocks and the texture generator are more logical. The blocks are built off meter increments, allowing most to align/snap with each other. The roofing snapping will allow for gables and hips of varying pitches and significantly more options than me hand building each roof you may need. The texture mapping is seamless between all blocks and roofing pieces. To boot, all mapping is a single 1024x1024 for the base blocks and accessories and a single 512x512 for the roof. You will have a roof_generator and a texture_generator (all built for compatibility with CS2 and after) and of course plenty of premade materials should you fear Photoshop. You'll have pillars, porches, railings, towers and more.

It's BIGGER, FASTER, STRONGER. It's COLOSSAL. It's MEGA. It's EPIC! Or as epic as a silly house builder can be.

Coming soon...

kTpPNdM.jpg

• Dazmaniac, Crow357, TheBigYin519 and 10 others like this

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

Super Brobdingnagian, can't wait to try it.

And thanks in advance, for the Epic work.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:39 PM

Dp must have a  secret  Factory somehwere, wonder if he knew willie wonka- he could be his son you know 

Thanks Dp

#4 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:44 PM

DPRoberts.

Take a bow sir.

;)

#5 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:49 AM

Took one on the jaw tonight. I am fighting a Unity or mipmap issue that I am yet to resolve. It's a bit like the jaggy issue with the grass billboard textures. It was not apparent in the Beta as I was less reliant on tiled UV mapping as I am now. I don't give up that easy but I may be 2 steps back unless an easy resolution presents itself.

Up close things are good.

GJJ8qxa.jpg

Back away and vertical seams are blipping. Damn...

ojG9yl2.jpg

More apparent on Brick which contains many vertical/horizontal lines and siding which contains horizontal lines. Variegated stone, cedar shake and more random patterns are not affected or not readily visible in game. Scaling down the UV to allow more "breathing room" at the ends of the texture map did not solve my issue like it did for the jaggies.

I have a plan B in my back pocket but I wanted to fish around here for any thoughts first. I may need to head to some offsite Unity boards for some ideas as well. If my late father Willy W. were only still around, he'd have an idea.

#6 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

Wish I could help DP, but being one of your Blender

students, all I can do is leave an apple on your desktop.

I do however get seam flickering at times when my

texture is not perfectly seamless, which I assume yours is.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#7 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

Sorted out the mip mapping nonsense. Have some minor issues with Z-fighting or Z depth buffer sorting to figure out and then (fingers crossed) release. Never use S**N in a post. I know better. The release is "just around the corner". I'm rounding third and heading home.

Intro to some of the new stuff - think "Minecraft meets Unity"; apologies to any "red/green" colorblind folks, poor choice of colors in the demo

• Dazmaniac, TheBigYin519 and SReesor like this

#8 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

Superb work DP, fantastic stuff

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#9 rmoor13

rmoor13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationNewtown, Pennsylvania

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:27 AM

Just a thought DP, maybe the Brick texture needs to be offset.  Could those vertical white lines be the halo effect.  Would be easy to check.

#10 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:19 AM

In the pictures at the beginning of the post, it was even happening with the siding texture which only have horizontal lines. The texture was part of an atlas and UVs were being split and overlapped for the cube. I tried to create a pixel border because I think it is a mipmap thing. That worked but the border showed as a dark hued line because it was basically brick minus the mortar. If you have a suggestion for that fix, I'm all ears. I'm not up on the lingo of the "halo effect" so you'd have to tell me what I can try.

Nevertheless, I think it was a fortunate mistake that led me down a different path.

I have changed the mapping to a base texture that tiles with no issues. The only downside is the block now has two textures. One for the base and one for the windows. The upside is you can import any seamless desaturated/greyscale texture at 512x512 into Unity and you are off and running without photoshop. Most of the customizing is moved to Unity which is what I think people would prefer.

The house builder Beta and the one at the start of this post were more dependant on photoshop because the windows and base texture were in the same material. It was a beneficial mistake that allowed me to decide to split materials at the expense of an additional draw call. We'll see if that proves to be a bad decision.

Regardless, tonight, I just corrected all Z fighting issues, the only minor blipping that occasionally shows comes from the roof but it's not overly noticeable.

Can I get it out this weekend before running into any more road blocks? I sure hope so...

#11 rmoor13

rmoor13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationNewtown, Pennsylvania

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:56 AM

I hope so too DP.  I got to tell you I only understand about 1/3 of what you're doing so I'm not much help, lol.  The halo thing is not related at all.  I don't know why I wrote that.  I was thinking of something totally different, haha.  Don't mind me.

#12 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

Fantastic DP, Everything in one neat building package, excellent

job. I can envision golf course communities sprouting overnight.

Thanks.

#13 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

I hope so too DP. I got to tell you I only understand about 1/3 of what you're doing so I'm not much help, lol. The halo thing is not related at all. I don't know why I wrote that. I was thinking of something totally different, haha. Don't mind me.

No worries. I could make putting together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich sound complicated. I tend to get verbose.

#14 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:36 AM

Done for now. Let's see what kind of problems arise. I expect some issues given that I covered the majority of proofreading. Thanks to NoPutt for doing some testing for me and identifying a few problems.

DPR House Builder Asset Package v 1_2 - download

https://www.dropbox....itypackage?dl=0

Included in the package are 100 building blocks, 13 base materials, 6 roofing materials, 6 railing materials, 2 window materials, a "window_door_generator_v1_2.psd", a "base_texture_generator_v1_2.psd", and a "railing_generator.psd", and a handful of custom block prefabs and materials

I have actually provided less combination blocks than the beta because I want to allow you to get your feet wet. It's a bit like "Minecraft meets Unity". I think the deficiency may be in provided window textures. However, this is all customizable in Photoshop with the window_door generator. If you build a window texture with the generator, please save it as a ".PNG" file as it will bring in the alpha channel need for correct transparency with the window material. If you are Adobe deficient and need a window combination, please let me know and I will try and help within reason.

Getting started with your first house build

• RobC likes this

#15 QBL_MrCobra

QBL_MrCobra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:11 PM

Hello DPR, 

I was wondering, if it's normal to have those flickering on the building when you play with the Dynimic Sky on 

If I turn off the Dynimic Sky. I don't have those flickering and the FPS is higher.

Thank you

MrCobra

#16 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

Wonderful work again DPR.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#17 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

Dynamic sky "on" has been discussed as a problem that is probably not curable at this time with objects. It even happens with PP courses.

#18 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

Wow!! I'm dizzy just thinking of all the possibilities.

Great Job DP, this is a fantastic community contribution,

and will go a long way toward adding realism to courses

for years to come.

Thanks for all the hard work, now get back to Kiawah,

I'm itching to have a go.

#19 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:26 PM

Wow, great asset package. I do have a couple questions:

1. Every time I drag the Quick Build or All Blocks into a scene, they are positioned way above the terrain. I have to lower the Quick Build by -379 and All Blocks by -340. If I drag an individual block, it snaps to the ground where I place it. Is there a way to have the two collection of blocks snap to the terrain also, or am I doing something incorrectly?

2. Can you add some blocks with a trim along the bottom that can also be textured, similar to this image? You see this in quite a few clubhouses and commercial buildings.

47b2lBX.jpg

Thanks a bunch for your brilliant work.

Larry

#20 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:07 AM

Larry,
I was worried there could be issues dropping in the all blocks or quick blocks. I will have to see if others are reporting the same issue. It may be how I packaged those into the prefab container. I will try and update if there is a fix for that.

I think a two textured block like you are showing there is something worth considering. For now, you have 2 options. You can use the base_texture_generator and place that trim along the bottom. If you are not Photoshop savvy, you can also use the 0.5mx3m block (first block, first row, first column, I believe) and stack that to get a 1mx3m base trim.

I made this with my generator which you can download from here, add this into Unity and use for the texture for your base material.
j2QzB34.png

Enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users