96 replies to this topic

#21 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:12 AM

For the second story, you'll want this texture without the trim. So, you'll have to make 2 base materials, one for each level.

1Eagbfk.png

#22 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:12 AM

Having two textures like you created was my first thought. It does mean the color of the shake shingles have to be done before hand, but that is what it is until you can come up with some alternate blocks

#23 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:13 AM

Definitely doable Larry and won't take me too long to add the extra blocks. Around 45 minutes. Let's see if anyone else weighs in with some intelligent add-ins and we can plan for v1_3 to have the additional divided texture blocks.

sVcV3oe.jpg

#24 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:29 AM

WOW, those look great. No hurry, I am just in the beginning stages of creating a clubhouse. Hopefully others will chime in.

#25 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

Log Cabins with and without verandahs , stone buildings, castles in good shape and old ruins  ,old tin sheds with rusty roofs ,pergola`s, those shingle roofs would go well with older more rustic style buildings.

Retaining walls of  timber and  stone, stairs 3 steps up to longer ones, single old timber steps for going up to building or incline/decline areas  so you can add one by one to go in any direction.

Chalet style for Alpine look, English style water wheel house, Barns , Hay Shed and bails of hay, timber Jetties, 

Maybe a collection of signs in pieces so we can mix /match , and then could we add whatever text we wanted in cf or blender 

That`s all i can think of at this point,and very generous contributions you have given us so far, 

have a good holiday matt. 

#26 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

I would enjoy seeing your Christmas lists from childhood PingZing. I'll add those to your "PZ special request list." Hopefully, it doesn't get misplaced. I have faith you could reconstruct it if it does.

Can't wait to see your final release on Tobacco Road. It was fun collaborating with you.

#27 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:52 PM

I made a reference for the latest house builder. If you want to review any particular faeture in the video it's hard to know where to start other than at the beginning. If the piece you want is at the 35 minute mark there's a long wait.

The document marks the place, in minutes from the start, of each significant feature in the video. Hope it saves some time for folks.

https://www.dropbox....ence..docx?dl=0

• TheBigYin519 and DPRoberts like this

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#28 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:31 AM

That's a very nice video reference and will come in handy. I already used it a couple of times.

#29 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

Glad it helps.

The best PS teacher ever regularly produces videos over an  hour long and he has now seen the light by providing one of these time based reference files on all his videos.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#30 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:09 AM

I am having a ball with the builder package. I found a texture problem on the "3mx3m_C3R3_longdoor" block.

XxsLZGG.jpg

Some thoughts for additional blocks:

1. 0.25x1m blocks for adding sidewalks, etc.

2. An external fireplace chimney

Also any chance of a tutorial for loading an existing block into Blender and resizing it. The clubhouse I am planning on building is 14 blocks long by 8 blocks wide. I have no roof blocks that are 24m wide. I tried scaling some existing blocks in Unity and also Blender, but it also re-scales the textures that are applied.

#31 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

I am having a ball with the builder package. I found a texture problem on the "3mx3m_C3R3_longdoor" block.
Some thoughts for additional blocks:
1. 0.25x1m blocks for adding sidewalks, etc.
2. An external fireplace chimney

Also any chance of a tutorial for loading an existing block into Blender and resizing it. The clubhouse I am planning on building is 14 blocks long by 8 blocks wide. I have no roof blocks that are 24m wide. I tried scaling some existing blocks in Unity and also Blender, but it also re-scales the textures that are applied.

Glad you are enjoying it Larry. I think your 2 suggestions are good and not a problem to add.

Here are updates as I see them at the moment for v1_3:
1. Split texture blocks with second texture at the lower 1/3 of the block
2. Supplying the archway blocks as in V1 (actually had it and missed it on export, doh!)
3. Fix texturing issue to longdoor block as above
4. Adding some smaller sized blocks to allow for construction of things such as sidewalks and a chimney (you can do a decent chimney with the square pillar blocks at the moment but a smaller block would be more useful.)
5. Maybe adding some bulkhead type options (would have some curved blocks)
6. Supplying C1R2, C1R3, C2R2, and C2R3 as individual planes - this would allow you to place and size windows wherever you would like
7. Supplying planes in addition to or in replace of blocks
8. Supplying the entire project as the .blend file

There is one issue that I see when building and I can rectify for things that I build and I wonder if others would care to follow. My main complaint is Unity vertex snapping. It is less than perfect at times and I don't like seeing the occasional flashing from blocks that don't line up correctly.

It is certainly more fun to build with blocks in Unity but the same can be done in Blender at a much more rapid pace. I will post a video later of how I am building in Blender. It is all done with keystrokes and allows perfect alignment. Additionally, I am building with planes only and the export is a single mesh. This reduces tris but also reduces 3D appearance errors.

Would anyone out there have any interest in building these in Blender and then importing into Unity? Texturing would still be done in Unity as you are currently doing it.

Lastly, Larry your question on the roof is a little more difficult to solve. You or I would have to make a custom block. If I supplied the .blend file, with a little know how, you could probably handle it.

#32 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

Another problem I am having is once a pre-fab building is created, adding it to Unity scene places it who knows where, and it is a real pain positioning it where you want it. This is the same problem with adding the All Blocks or Quick Build to a scene. I have tried setting the rotation values to all zeros, and even setting the position to all zeros, but that doesn't seem to work.

There has to be a way to set the yellow/red/blue positioning arrows on the pre-fab, but I haven't found the solution.

#33 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

Yes. I currently don't have a great grasp on the position control of prefabs. It seems a lot has to do with the order in which you do something.

For your own prefabs, try creating the prefab in the project panel and then try dragging from the scene into the container and see if that gets a better result.

You can also create your own "quick build". It may work best if you use the original instance which resides in the Meshes folders. Layout all the blocks you want to use regularly and then make prefab.

Version 1_3, I am actually building with no window blocks and hand placing windows. It's easier that way and you can get more options with window placement and size that way. That would reduce it to essentially 5-10 blocks or planes for base building.

#34 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:11 AM

It is certainly more fun to build with blocks in Unity but the same can be done in Blender at a much more rapid pace. I will post a video later of how I am building in Blender. It is all done with keystrokes and allows perfect alignment. Additionally, I am building with planes only and the export is a single mesh. This reduces tris but also reduces 3D appearance errors.

Would anyone out there have any interest in building these in Blender and then importing into Unity? Texturing would still be done in Unity as you are currently doing it.

After several failed different attempts to resolve the placement problem of prefabs created using the building blocks, I am leaning on the direction of creating in Blender. I will have to see your video. I tried all of your suggestions and a few others, but still have problems placing house prefabs precisely where I want them.

I wish there was more input from other users.

#35 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:10 AM

hi DP .first thanks for all your work.my lodge has glass doors.a block with glass doors would be cool.

cheers Hilton.(my skill level is very limited.so karui cliffs lodge is a real mission.) thanks again.1278:karui cliffs lodge.jpg][

Attached Files

#36 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

After several failed different attempts to resolve the placement problem of prefabs created using the building blocks, I am leaning on the direction of creating in Blender. I will have to see your video. I tried all of your suggestions and a few others, but still have problems placing house prefabs precisely where I want them.

I wish there was more input from other users.

When I first spill out the blocks onto the plot they are usually placed miles off the plot and up in the air. It's not easy using the red and blue handles to drag the objects into the area I want them.

Having got them to where I want them I can move them and position them easily.

I've noticed that on some sketchup objects they seem to rise up as you move them. I assume it's a Unity thing but I'd have thought someone would have tackled the problem long ago.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#37 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

hi DP .first thanks for all your work.my lodge has glass doors.a block with glass doors would be cool.
cheers Hilton.(my skill level is very limited.so karui cliffs lodge is a real mission.) thanks again.1278:karui cliffs lodge.jpg][

Hilton, I can't view your image. When you post that way, it says I don't have permission to view. See this thread for one way to go about posting images.

The last question on the first post is "How do I post a screenshot?"

http://www.perfectpa...m/?fromsearch=1

#38 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:27 PM

Larry and clubcaptain,

I'm guessing/hoping this is solvable. I am on a hiatus for a week starting Sunday but when I return, I will set my sights on resolving this and releasing v1_3.

I know that doesn't help at the moment. What happens when you drag individual blocks from the "Building Blocks" folder?

#39 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

Dragging blocks from the Meshes folder works the best.  At lest then, I can get it to place a prefab on the terrain. However you can't place a saved prefab at the point where you want it. The same is true for the sample house you included in the package.

It's probably best to wait until you get back from your vacation.

#40 Cintigolfer

Cintigolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:35 AM

DPRoberts - thanks for all that you have done on the house builder.  I used the first version to create some houses and the clubhouse on Firestone South.  I am now working on Sedgefield CC and the clubhouse has a mix of Tudor style and brick.

eq3A8aW.jpg

I have seen lot of clubhouses that have a Tudor style  Is it possible for you to include this in your next release?

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users