Photo

Ways to make recorded round comps appealing?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:49 AM

Matchplay is essential

• bortimus likes this

#22 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

Well, matchplay would be great ofcourse but ... I don't know how that would/could work? I mean, the whole thing about matchplay is playing against each other and settle after every hole! The only way to do that is to play live against each other. Matchplay is totally different from strokeplay really. In strokeplay you play against the course essentially. In matchplay directly against each other.

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#23 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

They put a man on the moon in 1969. Surely match play can be programmed in 2017.

#24 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

They put a man on the moon in 1969.

Probably using computers less powerful than today's gaming laptops, lol

😄

#25 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

A pseudo-matchplay could be programmed for recorded rounds but in real match play you make decisions in real time based on your opponent's position. This could never be achieved for both parties with a recorded round... only the person playing against the recorded round would have this strategic opportunity.

• Mike Jones likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#26 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

something i learned today if you get booted before the end of

a RR and come back on resume you lose the  RR.

that was on a frozen screen while also trying to use the  save shot function.

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#27 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

I'm glad the subject of recorded rounds is being discussed again.  I've just started recording and playing with rec rounds recently and I like it more than playing with the AI.  

Can we get a dedicated thread going for people to post links to recorded rounds?  

I'll try to get a few more recorded rounds done and post them later this weekend.     

• erwildcat likes this

#28 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:33 PM

Can we get a dedicated thread going for people to post links to recorded rounds?

Just a thought here, but I think it would make sense to have a forum thread specifically for each course and within there we could have recorded rounds submitted that are specific to that course.

Perhaps even a pinned post at the top of each course thread (maybe someone runs the thread for each course - designer?) so it can at least be somewhat organized to find what you're looking for.

#29 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

I'm glad the subject of recorded rounds is being discussed again.  I've just started recording and playing with rec rounds recently and I like it more than playing with the AI.  

I'll try to get a few more recorded rounds done and post them later this weekend.     

keeping mine in my sig link.

only 3 in there so far.

now im no jack nuttless just playing pretty

easy settings amateur. but they are there if anyone wants to play em.

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#30 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:14 PM

I would love to be able to use the playing companion camera in recorded rounds.  It works for live multiplayer, why not recorded multiplayer?

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#31 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

A pseudo-matchplay could be programmed for recorded rounds but in real match play you make decisions in real time based on your opponent's position. This could never be achieved for both parties with a recorded round... only the person playing against the recorded round would have this strategic opportunity.

Mike Jones likes this

Looks like that's the end of a Match Play option!

I'll discuss Match Play further in a post when I get to work.

#32 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

keeping mine in my sig link.
only 3 in there so far.
now im no jack nuttless just playing pretty
easy settings amateur. but they are there if anyone wants to play em.

Hmm - That's sort of why I'd like to also have them somewhere tied to the course.
I'm personally not worried about playing a particular player necessarily, but would like to be able to just find different recorded rounds organized by the course in question - then from that starting point I guess pick a person to play against?

We sort of need both methods of discovery - Profile pages here for people and also organized somewhere by course I think.
  • erwildcat likes this

#33 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

Perhaps the admins could allow us to use that "Files" tab in our profiles here as a spot for our recorded rounds?

Seems like it be a much better place than in signatures.

#34 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:14 PM

They put a man on the moon in 1969. Surely match play can be programmed in 2017

Who told you that?  

Probably using computers less powerful than today's gaming laptops, lol

try lesser still, where do u think lunar lander came from , that game was next gen in comparison  :)

and they did it with the power of a binatone tv master...or did they???

• Ted_Ball likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#35 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:21 AM

I was mostly interested in ways to run a comp based on recorded rounds. It's easy enough to build a data base of rec rounds. There is still an archive of FRET rounds at MEGA.nz. Would it be enough to maintain interest in the concept to access a data base of rounds for random play? Or would players prefer to have a structured competition? 

The problem with a formal comp at this point is that leaderboards have to be maintained manually. If there is no alternative then it would be advisable to keep the comp format simple. An example of a simple comp would be to have a group of players (in a club) all record a round and each player in the group play another member's round of that recording. How you would choose partners is merely detail.

That doesn't have to be match play but the match play format would be essential if member's wanted to expedite matters. I have a fear that annoyances within my comps will turn people off and having to play a full round of stroke to the end against someone struggling is an annoyance for both parties.

The fact that each player in the above comp records one round, then plays the next round against a recording would negate the negative effect of the inability to play classic match play.

#36 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:38 AM

Buck's suggestion of course-based recorded rounds is a good idea to encourage play without formalising leaderboards etc. A folder for each course would contain an intial recording with the score in the recording name along with the players name and subsequent players challenge that score or any other score of a round that has been uploaded. That list of scores is a de facto leaderboard which is updated by individual members. It could be a perpetual comp - allowing individuals to update their personal best score.

#37 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

Why would you not like a comp where you get the chance to play against familiar names of people you've known for 30 years (it seems) from this forum and the leaderboards of OGT and PGLS. And not just play against them but also to observe the way they play. And that is without the awkward multiplayer we have here.

The elephant in the room is levels. 

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#38 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

...or should that be, "the elephants in the room are levels"?

#39 Pappy

Pappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationRancho Cordova, California

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

Wonder how difficult that would be to code that in mentioned above. Imo that would increase the interest in JNPG quite a bit. Need a poll to see how much interest there is in the above mentioned comments in a separate thread - any volunteers?

Edit: Wrote above before realizing there was another page which changed topics sorta. So refer to what I wrote above to first page only.(or just ignore it as my wife always does)

THOUGHT: Most plan for their Vacation - but most do not plan for their Eternity!

Video       Introduction       My YouTube      The Return

#40 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Sorry for my ignorance...how do you change the conditions when playing with a recorded round?  Trying to test this out but no luck so far. All of my recorded rounds are unlocked but I don't know how or where to change the conditions to play along.  

The rounds are under "Your Recorded Rounds"  and not "Friend Recorded Rounds"  

Does that make a difference?     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users