Photo

Ways to make recorded round comps appealing?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

here is a pita we will have with this is course versions .

one of my friends opened up his steam and heck yes a bunch of

rounds showed up in friends rr area got there and  could not get into many  due to course upgrades .

and  they may have been saved for a while.

i will say it is 100% better then sitting through online mptb play

and all that wasted shot setup time you have to sit through .

with a game like golf with some refinement this RR play could

give multiplayer a run for it's money.

• Ted_Ball likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#42 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

Greetings Ted,

Why would you not like a comp where you get the chance to play against familiar names of people you've known for 30 years (it seems) from this forum and the leaderboards of OGT and PGLS. And not just play against them but also to observe the way they play. And that is without the awkward multiplayer we have here.

The elephant in the room is levels. 

The elephant in the room is the leveling.

...or should that be, "the elephants in the room are levels"?

The elephant in the room are the levels.

Just my preferential wording for what you are trying to say.

Cheers,

SC ;)  

• Ted_Ball likes this

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#43 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

@ Bortimus: when playing against a recorded round you are playing against the conditions that define that recording. To lock the conditions of a round to be recorded means when playing against one, you are forced to play from the same tees and on the same skills level. (I always  check the box regarding the tees before playing against a REC round anyway.) Then everything is the same. Not locking a round means you can play against it using a different level and even tees. 

Only the environment settings (clouds and weather) are not locked into the round. (I have active weather always on for what it's worth.) Also, you can record your own round when playing against a recorded round, but like I wrote before, it is sadly not yet possible to load in more than one recorded round at the time.

The 'Your Recorded Round' (YRR) tab in the game includes your own REC rounds AND friends rounds whom you play with. The 'Friend Recorded Rounds' tab only includes REC rounds of people you have checked as 'friend' in Steam. Only the 'YRR' rounds are directly saved onto your computer in the JNPG game file 'recorded rounds'. Ofcourse exchanging REC rounds with friends through e-mail, you must save the REC file yourself in the 'YRR' folder.

It's best to keep as few REC rounds as possible in the 'YRR' folder, as it slows the startup time of JNPG considerably. (Best is to make a new folder in the game folder and call it 'my rounds' or something like that. PS: I always rename the REC files in the JNPG folder as: coursename_playername_R#; that way I can keep track of what's what).

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#44 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:30 PM

Ahhh I see.  I thought leaving the recorded round unlocked meant the player could change firmness, stimp speed, and wind as well.  

Thanks for the explanation Charles.  

#45 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

a working concede button, that worked on RR would

make matchplay doable.

well there is a working concede button when in matchplay.

start the matchplay tourney in multiplayer recording the round.

and work it through the players in that manner do it bracket style

so all first matches would have to be done using multiplayer but from there it could be done just with the RR

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

Klipsch Sound System

#46 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

a working concede button, that worked on RR would

make matchplay doable.

well there is a working concede button when in matchplay.

start the matchplay tourney in multiplayer recording the round.

and work it through the players in that manner do it bracket style

so all first matches would have to be done using multiplayer but from there it could be done just with the RR

well that don't work when i tried to play the RR of matchplay, it switched it to stroke play.

wondering if it would do the same with 2 human players playing matchplay,

anyone got any saved matchplay rounds where it was between you and another human?

Klipsch Sound System

#47 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

No. It can't be done.

#48 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:27 PM

No. It can't be done.

found out.lol

first multiplayer i have played in a while, and it just reminded why i no longer play it

to long and drawn out

Klipsch Sound System

#49 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

Here are 8 recorded rounds I've played over the last few days:

https://www.dropbox.... - Copy.7z?dl=0

A text file is included with notes, courses played, and scoring spoilers at the bottom if you want to see which rounds look interesting to play.

All courses used are the most recent versions as of this week.    

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#50 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

bortimus

i have been playing some of your rounds and they work great.

they are in my RR folder so i would guess anyone of my friends would also 

be able to play them?

when the server is down you can play them on stock courses if you import in this manner

FRR does not work when the server is down.

speaking of the server being down, something i have noticed the last 4 weekends the server goes down

twice on friday , if memory serves me right 2 times late saturdays.

sounds to me could be a bug there to.

Klipsch Sound System

#51 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCounty Durham, UK

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:13 PM

Not sure if it has mentioned in this thread but would dearly love to be able to lift a strokeplay REC round from a tourney played by one of my pals especially if I did not know what they scored and then play the REC round along with me.  But I think this has been addressed before so I'm not expecting there to be any progress for this particular wish.  Seemingly impossible to do I gather.

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#52 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:31 AM

I would be playing in tournaments if I had a chance to play the recordings of others. This has been addressed before and there is no way to save scores in the code. 

I imagine that innovation would be a low priority compared to, say, AI upgrades.

And yet I am pleased to see the interest in this thread. I played the round by bortimus at Illinois. bortimus gives me a pizzling. But it was a lot of fun - and it could be better. 

Unless somethings happens in the meantime I'll sort out the old FRET page at MEGA.nz and start a group of folders - one for each course as they come in. (Members can create folders and delete stuff.) If recorders follow a naming convention of score_member_(level?) then the opened folder would show a leaderboard based on scores. I would encourage players to keep replacing their previous score when they have a better round.

#53 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:54 AM

LOGIN

Enter this email...

jnpgrecordings@gmail.com

and this password...

driveforshow

You can access recorded rounds at the above LOGIN. I've made a folder called Illinois and there are two recorded rounds (.rnd) initially. One from bortimus and one from me. You'll see the scores in the name of the .rnd file at this experimental stage so be aware. In future I could have sub-folders for score or blind. I haven't asked bortimus's permission and I apologise. (I'm not even sure if that score is right bortimus. I forget to keep the scorecard. Easily changed though)

Check it out. I'd like to see other scores on the list and find out if people like the idea.

If you access the MEGA.nz site please remember to LOGOUT (top right 3 bar thingy). This is very important so that others can access the site.

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#54 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:57 AM

Anyone can make a new folder for other courses if you want to load rounds. 

Also if you want to play against a recording tick "Match Tees" in the game

#55 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:34 AM

Ted,

There are lots of the FRETT I & II recorded rounds at your MEGA site, under "Archives Rounds".  Feel free to use any of mine.

Also...the ball type (Advent - distance, less accurate vs Caliber - less distance, more accuracy) defaults to the Recorded round, for both players.  This won't be apparent until you play a few shots.

JMK59

#56 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

test

#57 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

Yes thanks J. Ill get them organised.

#58 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

found out.lol

first multiplayer i have played in a while, and it just reminded why i no longer play it

to long and drawn out

No kidding, right?   The other day I decided to check out MP, just for the heck of it.. got into a game with a player who made the experiencing brutally painful.   I am always forgiving if there is a little lag or whatever, but this person took an awful long time to take a shot.. and nevermind putting.   So I asked..  "may I ask why it takes so long to hit a shot?"   Basically, he said he had some kind of "calculation sheet" or some kind of reference guide he uses when hitting approaches, pitches and putts...  I was like, what?   After approaching almost 40-45 mins through 3 or 4 holes, I could not take it anymore and left...  look, I get that people want to hit the best shot possible, but that is just ridiculous.  

Once these RRs are tightened up a bit with hopefully some of the ideas in this thread, this will be a feature that I am sure many, many will use.  

#59 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:33 PM

They put a man on the moon in 1969. Surely match play can be programmed in 2017.

Leaves out the biggest variable known to mankind.... COST.

#60 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't play random multiplayer without a shot clock.  Prefer AI, actually unless I'm playing a friend.

• ✠ davef ✠ and RobV like this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users