169 replies to this topic

#1 gerardfraser

gerardfraser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

Stuck a couple video's side by side from The Golf Club and Perfect Golf.
Both games run at 1920x1080.Games set to their default max settings.Both games run fine at these settings and both hit 200FPS in the game.
When I can get Perfect golf to run at 3840x2160 I will upload another video.

#2 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Maybe change the CAM on Perfect Golf to Follow... makes comparing more comparing..

• scoops100 likes this

#3 gerardfraser

gerardfraser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

I did have it on follow.There could be a different follow I have not discovered yet.

#4 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

I did have it on follow.There could be a different follow I have not discovered yet.

Set 'Camera' to Follow and 'Snap Camera' to Landing. I think that will much what I see in the TGC video.

• Kelan likes this
Richard

Posted Image

#5 gerardfraser

gerardfraser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

Thanks.

#6 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

I've kept a very open mind to PG as I love TGC. At the moment TGC is far more playable and, apart from the commentary, which I don't like, the ball striking and landing sounds are much better too. The ball physics are also much more realistic on TGC.
These are very early days for PG and hopefully they can delivery a much more playable game over the months to come. The one thing I do prefer with PG over TGC are the visuals.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#7 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:55 AM

At the moment TGC is far more playable

Well, I certainly hope so since PG was just released early access today compared to a game that has had what, 6,7,8 patches already?   I find these types of comparisons absolutely silly.   Give the guys from PP some time, geez... 

Overall, I just did 18 holes REAL TIME with my brother and we had a blast!   REAL TIME... something TGC has yet to integrate into their game!   

• ☠InDaSkies☠ likes this

#8 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:15 AM

I've kept a very open mind to PG as I love TGC. At the moment TGC is far more playable and, apart from the commentary, which I don't like, the ball striking and landing sounds are much better too. The ball physics are also much more realistic on TGC.
These are very early days for PG and hopefully they can delivery a much more playable game over the months to come. The one thing I do prefer with PG over TGC are the visuals.

You prefer the physics of TGC? Surely your pulling my leg?  In all my experiences with TGC I've yet to see a ball struck to the green stick hold or do anything other than run thru the green.

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#9 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:28 AM

You prefer the physics of TGC? Surely your pulling my leg?  In all my experiences with TGC I've yet to see a ball struck to the green stick hold or do anything other than run thru the green.

To be fair Sinewiz, I haven't seen that on TGC for quite some time. It's not too hard to get the ball to stick on that game now. There are still times the physics in TGC are off, but they're rarer than they used to be.

It's really not that bad of a game anymore though it was released woefully incomplete. We begged them not to release the game in the state it was in back then - it was really awful. My problems with TGC are:

1. The performance still isn't that great. It's improved considerably since launch, but it's still a dog sometimes and it doesn't look good enough to run that poorly. Not as big of a deal as it used to be, though.

2. There are so many user golf courses and so few of them are any decent. I end up dropping a game about 50% of the time because the course is bad / unfair / unfinished.  tend to select the highest rated courses and they still suck. I played an Augusta version the other day and on #9 or #10 the green slope was so severe that I literally could not hold the green on any shot - it rolled off the front 6 times in a row. They've gotten better with their own home-grown courses, but it's too much work to find decent courses.

3. Their community management, especially by Lorin, has been pretty poor at times. I've gotten to the point that I simply don't like the way they operate their business and that's turned me off quite a bit. It took them MONTHS to address the rampant cheating that was going on. It took months to get patches because they were working on the console versions. Things like that left a bad taste in my mouth.

4. The controls are still problematic. They're still related to frame rate - frame rate drops and your swing power % suddenly gets lowered. And it's tough to get a feel for the game. There's still the rare occasion where a 40 foot putt will go 10-15 feet but you know it should have gotten close to the hold. There are times that the controls just don't feel crisp enough and weird things happen that don't seem right. I rarely get through a game of TGC without remarking once "that's bullshit" because what seemed like a crisp shot or a full power shot somehow goes wonky. 

#10 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:35 AM

Blackadar, Play TGC from time to time and consider it a very solid game. Certainly wasn't my intention to bash the game. But, if you ask me what one of the weakness's of the game is I'm going to say physics is at the top of the list, while I consider PP's one of it's strong suits.  ;)

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#11 KMM63

KMM63

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:42 AM

My initial take is that PG graphics are better for the only reason that it will run on my systems. If I could afford to drop big coin on upgrades every year to play a game or two, my take might be different. I like the fairway and green physics in PG, but the rough does not look or feel right to me. In real life life I am used to one or two big bounces and then a quick stop in the rough except in the hardest,driest conditions. In PG I regularly see the two big bounces and extended roll out in what looks like deep rough. 

I like a lot of the philosophy behind the development of TGC, but it is too of a resource hog to waste any of my time or money on anymore.

#12 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:43 AM

There are issues with the physics of both, just different ones. TGC is more realistic in some areas, PG in others. I don't know about #3 on Blackadar's list as I don't follow their forums, but #1 is my experience too, #4 has been the main reason I never put any time into the game and #2, well let's just say I made it clear to them that course creation being too easy will be detrimental to the game, not an asset. A small learning curve and a bit of effort is necessary to help eliminate the crud.

#13 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:52 AM

I can say this without a doubt. PG runs better than TGC upon EA release. Anyone who disputes this has a short memory. :)

TGC has been out for almost a year - it was launched in April of 2014 - and it really, really ran poorly on EA release. Online play didn't work at all - it didn't exist. It made even the most modern systems crawl. The physics were off. The controls were very off. The issues with .3 and .4 were massive.

I am not seeing the same issues with PG - it's been solid for me. That doesn't mean that TGC isn't better than PG right now (it is) or that PG will be as good as TGC (because that remains to be seen). But the guys at PG are in a better position to make a better game, simply because they seemingly have a better foundation to start from.

#14 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:51 AM

Blackadar, Play TGC from time to time and consider it a very solid game. Certainly wasn't my intention to bash the game. But, if you ask me what one of the weakness's of the game is I'm going to say physics is at the top of the list, while I consider PP's one of it's strong suits. ;)

Totally disagree. There are some weird issues with the way the ball runs and spins on PG but it is early access and these things are to be expected.
PG looks great and is much smoother than TGC to play. I was onboard for the early access of TGC and I feel that it was more playable upon release than PG. You may not agree but you're entitled to your opinion, as am I.
WWG1WGA

#15 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

Well, I certainly hope so since PG was just released early access today compared to a game that has had what, 6,7,8 patches already?   I find these types of comparisons absolutely silly.   Give the guys from PP some time, geez... 
Overall, I just did 18 holes REAL TIME with my brother and we had a blast!   REAL TIME... something TGC has yet to integrate into their game!

I'm Sorry that you consider my opinion as 'silly' but even at the same stage of development TGC was more playable in my opinion.
WWG1WGA

#16 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

The problem with comparisons like this is they are meaningless why? 

Because in PerfectGolf you can play the same course 100 times at 50 different times of year and 50 different times of day along with playing in the rain, mist etc and very time it can look different. TGC looks the same every day of every year - I hope some time soon they upgrade their lighting engine to offer more variety (yes I bought TGC!)

#17 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

I like playing in the sun! I live in the U.K. and don't see much of it.
I wasn't being critical of PG, I'm just saying in my opinion, that TGC was more playable upon release. Perhaps it was because they didn't spend much time on weather effects and other stuff that are on PG, but they did provide a very usable course creator, which for casual users like me, is brilliant.
I'm hoping that PG will surpass TGC in every aspect but it will take some time. I'm happy to be onboard though.
WWG1WGA

#18 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

I like playing in the sun! I live in the U.K. and don't see much of it.

Me too! The game looks vastly different at different times of day and year even in the sun though. Check out the FAQ sticky if you want to experiment with it.

• IanK likes this

#19 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

It's funny - I live in sunny Thailand and the weathers a constant heatwave and I yearn for overcast and gloomy, I see a trend here!!

But there ain't no doubtin' the man - this games got quality u aint even aware of until it's pointed out, let's just chill and put our ten penneth worth in and see how the game comes along in time eh.

Moet_Chandon_Gold_Jeroboam_04.jpg

#20 noelw1969

noelw1969

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationStafford, UK

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

I'm Sorry that you consider my opinion as 'silly' but even at the same stage of development TGC was more playable in my opinion.

I wholly agree that at time of Early Access release, TGC was better. It certainly wasn't great but there was enough to make me go back and have another go. This game, so far, does not entice me back until big advances are made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users