169 replies to this topic

#21 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

I'm Sorry that you consider my opinion as 'silly' but even at the same stage of development TGC was more playable in my opinion.

Don't be sorry... like you said, opinions...  But I feel TGC, at least for me, was no where near where PG is in EA.   Right from the start, no real time multi-player was huge for me... including friends and family.  Sorry, but ghost balls just wasn't cutting it.   Plus frame rates and CPU usage, quite frankly, almost burnt my system!  I had to stop playing in fear of either my graphics card or CPU would die...my fans were screaming bloody hell!    When I play PG, my fans are practically idle, just as they are if it is sitting idle.   I can play at a very high resolution/settings and there is ZERO choppiness as the ball travels.   True, HB has done some good stuff to help optimize the graphics, but load up a course with about 6 billion trees and I have to drop out.. unplayable for me.   

Unfortunately, I have stopped playing TGC simply because of the lack of MP.   My friends and family refused to buy it because of that aspect alone...  It got quite boring playing alone, sifting through thousands of courses, time and time again.   Tried tournaments and players were already -55 by round 2!   I know I am not that good, but man, I had no chance...  Anyway, as soon as let my friends and family know PG had a decent, working, out of the box MP system, they snatched it up!

I'll tell you one thing though, never thought I would get used to playing with a controller, as I have always been mouse swing, but quite frankly, I have learned to enjoy it.   

#22 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

I suppose we all have differing needs and wants. I haven't touched the multiplayer of TGC or PG because I prefer to play against the course. I normally build and play my own courses and never get close to over planting the trees or objects.
True, TGC does set the fans into overdrive even on the PS4 but on a cold winter's evening I welcome the extra heating. ;-)
The course creator on TGC is perfect for me as a more casual designer. Agreed, the look of the courses are very similar but with a little imagination can be made to look varied and interesting.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#23 Ricky Proffer

Ricky Proffer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationTyler, Texas

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

Variety is the spice of life!  I played a version of "Augusta" on TGC the other day and it was really well done and was a joy to play.  Now I think there will be much more realistic courses on PG but I like, bought, and play both and enjoy them both.  I paid less for TGC and PG together than I did for Madden 15.  What is not to like about that.  If everyone spent more time enjoying one or both rather than trying to find flaws in the other one the world would be a happier place. :D

• Richard likes this

ASUS  G571JY Gaming Laptop

i7-4720HQ 2.59 GHz

GeForce GTX 980M

16 GB RAM

WIndows 10 64 bit

#24 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Missouri

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

I suppose we all have differing needs and wants. I haven't touched the multiplayer of TGC or PG because I prefer to play against the course. I normally build and play my own courses and never get close to over planting the trees or objects.
True, TGC does set the fans into overdrive even on the PS4 but on a cold winter's evening I welcome the extra heating. ;-)
The course creator on TGC is perfect for me as a more casual designer. Agreed, the look of the courses are very similar but with a little imagination can be made to look varied and interesting.

What they need to do in TGC is add the ability to use different textures, then there would be more variation between courses.

Courses Created with Course Forge:

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#25 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

I bet The Golf Club can't do this 

PG%20upside%20down%201.jpg

But its not a problem its not a bug just click on the course hole visual icon at the right then click it again to see the hole outlay again No Problem - it adds some humor to your game play .. everything isn't all stuffy wondering if the blades of grass are cut to short or not or the right shade of green according to the sunlight or if the sunlight is at the right height. Just hit the ball and enjoy some golf that doesn't make your eyes go bloodshot from low frame rates and your eyes looking at to much intricate detail that is not real that actually wears then out. 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#26 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

I bet The Golf Club can't do this 

PG%20upside%20down%201.jpg

But its not a problem its not a bug just click on the course hole visual icon at the right then click it again to see the hole outlay again No Problem - it adds some humor to your game play .. everything isn't all stuffy wondering if the blades of grass are cut to short or not or the right shade of green according to the sunlight or if the sunlight is at the right height. Just hit the ball and enjoy some golf that doesn't make your eyes go bloodshot from low frame rates and your eyes looking at to much intricate det

ail that is not real that actually wears then out. 

Yup, a known issue. Especially happens when alt - tabbing out of the game and returning when in full screen mode. I've also seen it when going to settings, within the game, and then coming back to the game. Glad to see that you found the workaround.

Richard

Posted Image

#27 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationCedar Lake Indiana

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

The way I look at is, they are two different animals. TGC is pretty much a single player game and doesn't offer much to do with multiplayer but that seems to be the way they like it over there. Thats cool it held me over until I got hands on PG. There are folks already starting ladders for PG. Plus the simple fact that PG offers an opportunity to meet people and make new friends. And the game plays awesome at least on my PC. I am looking forward to growing with this game and playing people and making more friends. How cool is that?  

• Richard, spikel and aftrshok99 like this

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
Silverstone ST1500 1500W ATX
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Editon
4x Kingston Digital HyperX Fury 240GB SSD Sata III HD's In Raid 0
1 TB HD for storage
Asus Rog Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly Motherboard
4x16GB Corsair Dominator Series Memory
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System GPU & CPU
1x LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burner
1x LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Player
HP ZR 30" Monitor 2560x1600 Resolution

#28 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

Thanks to PG and its multiplayer I was able to get over my fear of playing golf with bearded men who ride motorcyles!!! LOL  :D  Just kidding InDaSkies.  ;)

• ☠InDaSkies☠ likes this

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#29 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

Thanks to PG and its multiplayer I was able to get over my fear of playing golf with bearded men who ride motorcyles!!! LOL  :D  Just kidding InDaSkies.  ;)

Please don't tell InDaSkies that. He's hard enough to put up with. :D

Are you sure, it wasn't due to playing during 'cocktail' hour. I usually find that I really could care less who I playing with a glass of scotch right next to my mouse.

• ☠InDaSkies☠ likes this
Richard

Posted Image

#30 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

Please don't tell InDaSkies that. He's hard enough to put up with. :D

Are you sure, it wasn't due to playing during 'cocktail' hour. I usually find that I really could care less who I playing with a glass of scotch right next to my mouse.

He can't be that bad can he? LOL!!

No, I don't think I was drinking anything at the time, I think!!  :o

• ☠InDaSkies☠ likes this

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#31 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

Another aspect that seems to go without mention is that textures in TGC all look pretty much the same. Dark green bordering a darker green and then a darker green yet. With PP's course forge it would appear that designers will have an ulimited pallet of colors and hues at their disposal which is going to give courses a much more personalized look.

It has been mentioned that some of the PP courses look a little faded and I suppose compared to the pool table green that many games courses look like they do, but at least in my eyes they look far more realistic. That said I do hope there will be a few courses come out on PP that take on that vivid green of say an Augusta just to see that PP is capable of turning out courses like that.

Additionally the simplicity of TGC's course designer which was supposed to be such a coup has proven to be just the oppposite. Hundreds and hundreds of subpar courses which all look virtually the same color because the choices are so minimal. ;)

• aftrshok99 likes this

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#32 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:38 PM

Another aspect that seems to go without mention is that textures in TGC all look pretty much the same. Dark green bordering a darker green and then a darker green yet. With PP's course forge it would appear that designers will have an ulimited pallet of colors and hues at their disposal which is going to give courses a much more personalized look.

It has been mentioned that some of the PP courses look a little faded and I suppose compared to the pool table green that many games courses look like they do, but at least in my eyes they look far more realistic. That said I do hope there will be a few courses come out on PP that take on that vivid green of say an Augusta just to see that PP is capable of turning out courses like that.

Additionally the simplicity of TGC's course designer which was supposed to be such a coup has proven to be just the oppposite. Hundreds and hundreds of subpar courses which all look virtually the same color because the choices are so minimal. ;)

I honestly can't disagree with any of this.  B)

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#33 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

I have both games and probably won't fool much with TGC anymore. Not very realistic in my opinion especially for how long it was out. The launch was a nightmare but I do like the GN course creator as I am not a designer and have never made a course but theirs is pretty simple. For me I love to play and for that I have found my home.

#34 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:51 AM

It goes without saying that the GNCD's simplicity is its biggest fallacy. Obviously there are thousands of horrible courses that are published, and designers that have decided to work with it have a limited color palette to choose from. But to say that all of the available courses are horrible just because they look primarily the same is not entirely true, depending on the way you look at it. 

There are two main components of a good golf course as I see it: the beauty and the playing experience. While it goes without saying that the beauty of TGC courses is limited, there are a bunch that have great shot values the whole way around. I have trouble calling a course with 16 or more well-designed holes "subpar" and see no harm in giving credit where credit is due. 

#35 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:17 AM

Ok, where to start, where to start. My comment was, "there are hundreds and hundreds of subpar courses which look virtually the same color". I stand by that 100%. ;)  "Mostly" because absolutly everyone can create a golf course in 5 minutes and to a lesser extent because of limited textures.

You then attempt to parafrase me by saying I said " all available courses are horrible because their the same color" Never said all and never said horrible. Your words not mine. Please, at least get part of my comments correct. Your interpretation of what I said wasn't even close. :huh:

You then follow up with "I have trouble calling a course with 16 well defined holes subpar"

Ahhhh, yea, so do I and I didn't. Please highlight where I said "well designed" courses were terrible because they were limited in textures? In the future if your going to quote me, please at least keep it in the ballpark. ;)

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#36 fran21356

fran21356

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

I think they both look outstanding with the tie breaker going to PP for better golfer movement. But both are beautiful, congratulations to both teams.

#37 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

Seems like this is a TGC bashing forum. For the casual course designer and player TGC is brilliant. I suspect that many might be put of designing by the comparative complexity of Course Forge And Terrain Forge.
I create courses on TGC for my own amusement. I don't care if other people don't play them.
Personally, I am a little disappointed at PG at this point, but I'm sure things will improve.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#38 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

I was a tester for TGC and sort of we are testers for PG as well. I like the TGC but there putting sucks, there game looks great because there using DirectX 11 this game I have heard uses DirectX 9 (this is 2015 by the way, who uses DX9?) and that is one of the main reasons TGC looks a bit better than PG but perfect golf also uses slightly higher poly trees and objects plus they are using more advance shaders and layers.

I like TGC and designed 4 courses with it but I hardly ever play it anymore because of the putting, I think PG still regardless of DX9 looks pretty darn good and I think the game play is also going to be very good with a bit of tuning yet to the physics. (I'll give my info tonight on my impressions since I have had some time now to see and play and sort through what I see).

I have played a game for many, many years now called World Golf Challenge 2011 (use to be Custom Play Golf), They are building another game engine as well but I just don't have no hope for them anymore. I want to be here because it is refreshing to give input and get input from a developer to help make a game better. The game I am/was involved with doesn't care about me anymore or my input. There's 8 people that play the game and want to make it better so you think they would care what we say??

I think PG is where it's at and could be for the future and now I want to help them get better!!

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#39 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

TGC offers different themes, so not all courses look the same. The issue for some is 100 courses designed in the Boreal theme will all look alike as there is no facility to tweak texture colours and shades. Same as 100 courses designed in the Links theme will all look alike.

The differences come with the layouts and planting, This is how they look different.

PG has nearly been EA'd for a week and things seem to be going OK. Yes some folks are disappointed and underhwhelmed, but we are only only a week in. TGC wasn't without its issues 1 week in to EA (and has still has some now going by what some folks say) over 4 months after release, so PG has time on its side.

;)

#40 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

Ok, where to start, where to start. My comment was, "there are hundreds and hundreds of subpar courses which look virtually the same color". I stand by that 100%. ;)  "Mostly" because absolutly everyone can create a golf course in 5 minutes and to a lesser extent because of limited textures.

You then attempt to parafrase me by saying I said " all available courses are horrible because their the same color" Never said all and never said horrible. Your words not mine. Please, at least get part of my comments correct. Your interpretation of what I said wasn't even close. :huh:

You then follow up with "I have trouble calling a course with 16 well designed holes subpar"

Ahhhh, yea, so do I and I didn't. Please highlight where I said "well designed" courses were terrible because they were limited in textures? In the future if your going to quote me, please at least keep it in the ballpark. ;)

Very true, looks like I took what you said quite a bit out of context and made unjustified assumptions, just wanted to give you a taste of FOX News medicine ;) jk

I'm sorry for my pretty drastic error, but I did want to say that not all course design aspects of TGC are inherently bad. There's a good chance that some of the top designers from TGC may migrate over to PG, as CF already looks to be light years ahead of the GNCD. I have no issues with bashing the horrid auto-generated courses, however. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)