#41 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

once the putting is refined this will surpass TGC, i have been playing tgc since EA day one and i love it, but the chip, flop and pitch mechanic is way too easy for my liking.  @ TGC the birdie has become the new par, every bird i get with pg i feel like i have earned it and not gone thru the motions, i just think i have outgrown tgc in terms of ability, every round is -10 or -14  you have to bump the firmness up on every course you make if you want it to be a tough test, i made a course called woodhouse estates using the GNCD and its rated at 6.7 then i release the same course and called it dare valley lakes ( in my sig below) it's easier in terms of firmness and the rating goes up, not only that it also gets a 5 star badge of approval on tgctours site, when imo the harder course was better...i think pg will give me the challenge i'm looking for.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#42 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:38 PM

The putting in TGC has improved with the recent update which smoothed out the short putts and reduced the "spyglass" effect. I also think eventually there will be some kind of option to change the textures and/or coloring in the GNCD although HBS have not made any public announcements on this yet.

Mike also mentioned the possibility in the future of adding DirectX 11 support for PG which would allow for very detailed grass textures like there are in TGC.

TGC and PG are both evolutionary golf games and we need to give each developer time to make the updates we all would like to see in our golf games.

-MERACE

#43 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Missouri

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:42 PM

Really all that it boils down to at the end of the day is......which one does it for you personally, makes you want to play golf.  B) Right now as it stands for me it's PG.  :)

• Ricky Proffer likes this

Courses Created with Course Forge:

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#44 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

I think the putting on TGC is brilliant. They have made changes but I've not noticed them. I can't believe how many people on this forum criticise TGC without having tried it.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#45 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

I think the putting on TGC is brilliant. They have made changes but I've not noticed them. I can't believe how many people on this forum criticise TGC without having tried it.

I don't know, I just played 9 holes on TGC after playing 18 on PG, I'm sorry but I really don't dig TGC right now. Sure the textures are 3d but it's too green in color, it's like putting on pool table felt, it's that green..lol

Again, I've played 100 something hours of TGC on PC and more than that on the PS4. Maybe it's having 3-click and more options in PG that I like is why I like PG more at this time?  :blink:

That's only my opinion and everyone has their's.  ;)

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#46 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

For me, it was always going to be PG.

I gave TGC a go, but don't play it anymore. I think they key for me is coming from a Links background and also the fact that PG offers a click swing.

Had I played the majority of my golf gaming with TW on consoles over the years, then I guess I would be busy playing TGC rather than being here.

Would be nice to see a DX11 version in the future. MJ said that HBS use a 'furring' technique for their grass textures, which is only available at DX11 (which PP could make use of should they add DX11), which I guess is why some TGC stalwarts are less than impressed with some of the close up grass textures in PG.

;)

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#47 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

Yeah I'm not really into bashing one game over another, but over at TGC forums, they weren't too kind towards this game either so it goes both ways . Play what you like and leave the others to do what they gotta do. Choices are good and if you enjoy both, they you are doubly golden.

#48 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

im starting to like these graphics better here i was liking TGC better but when you compare the two it

is because i have been a TW player more then a Links player. as for anything else about TGC they are now in my rear view mirror

as i like this game much better so PP even after all the waiting you will be the folks getting my money.

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#49 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

if the guys at the golf club sort out the way too easy flop and pitch (they are tweaking the flop) then tgc will become almost unbeatable, and yes the golf club putting is the best in any golf game, ever!  at the moment i am just enjoying pg for its challenge, not too worried about the graphics, would be nice though if they introduced dx11 as i have the rig to cope, shame not to push it.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#50 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

Hah, the 3 click is the only thing I don't like about PG. Everyone has an opinion :)
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#51 gerardfraser

gerardfraser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:49 AM

@DoGgz

I loved that woodhouse estates course,I think I will go replay that one.

About TGC I know how you feel and I think it's a great golf game but I stopped playing it awhile ago.I do have 650 hrs played and about three round since December played that's it.

PG is also a good game only around 6 hrs so far.I do not think its as good as TGC right now and I have not even been able to finish one round yet,but I will be all over it someday and I am sure it will be as good as TCG at some point in the future.

#52 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

TGC looks great in detail. But it doesn't look as natural as PG looks. Mother nature isn't always "clean" and "manicured". Sure, PG has a lot of work to do with the grass textures, but the rest (ondulations, little hills, etc.) looks really very natural and good.

I like the putting in TGC as well. It feels, that the breaks have more inpact on the roll of the ball. So putting is a little bit tougher, what i like.

The biggest gripe is the unchallenging full swing. It's way too easy to hit a straight shot. And chipping and pitching is way off the real challenge of that shots. No feel needed at all.

Motion swing on the other hand is really a thing of beauty. You get penalized in distance and left/right if you are not swinging properly. And you can play almost every shot in the arsenal. It just feels like real golf.

PG has ways too go with cosmetics (better textures, especially greens, to make them readable without the grid, an animated avatar) and with gamemods. But the core gameplay mechanics (real life physics!) are there. For fans of the game of golf, the foundation is much closer to the real thing, than TGC. I'm really looking forward to the future of PG!

• RobV and Charles like this

#53 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

I like the putting in TGC as well. It feels, that the breaks have more inpact on the roll of the ball. So putting is a little bit tougher, what i like.

The biggest gripe is the unchallenging full swing. It's way too easy to hit a straight shot. And chipping and pitching is way off the real challenge of that shots. No feel needed at all.

Motion swing on the other hand is really a thing of beauty. You get penalized in distance and left/right if you are not swinging properly. And you can play almost every shot in the arsenal. It just feels like real golf.

I feel that the putting in TGC (after the update that fixed the update  ;) ) is the best in any golf game that I have played so far.

As for full shots being too easy to hit straight I tend to agree.  However, the developers have stated that you can currently use the shot shaper (adding or lower loft) to make it harder to hit straight full shots.  I'm hoping that they consider adding a setting in the game to adjust the sensitivity of the shot cone.

I do like the motion swing in PG better than TGC.  PP seem to have tweaked the motion swing tempo ratio so that I can now have a reasonable amount of forward swing acceleration without having my shot result in a pulled shot. :)

-MERACE

#54 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

I'd have to agree with MERACE, the putting on TGC is as good as it's likely to get. As for the rest of the game, it is a little easy but made tougher by slightly exaggerated wind effects.
I must admit, I gave the online PG a try today and thoroughly enjoyed it. My opponent was a very pleasant chap who scored a hole-in-one on his way to beating me 3 and 2.
  • RobV likes this
WWG1WGA

#55 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

@Merace and Knighters,

What is it about the putting in TGC makes it so good? What do you like about it? I'm being sincere when I ask that, I just want to know why you all think it's so good.

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#56 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

With the controller swing method, it just feels such a natural golf stroke. The backswing of the club, relative to the length of putt required, is just so much like putting in real life. At first it's tricky to get the hang of, but after practice it becomes second nature. The three click method will never give you the feeling that you are swinging a real golf club.
I hope when the real time motion swing is developed for PG that it is as natural to use as the TGC offering.
WWG1WGA

#57 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:52 PM

With all due respect, I'll never understand why people think that pushing  a one inch stick backward and forward a half an inch is somehow mimicking a "real golf swing" anymore than clicking your mouse three times. :o But to each his own. ;)

• fungolfer likes this

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#58 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:52 PM

With the controller swing method, it just feels such a natural golf stroke. The backswing of the club, relative to the length of putt required, is just so much like putting in real life. At first it's tricky to get the hang of, but after practice it becomes second nature. The three click method will never give you the feeling that you are swinging a real golf club.
I hope when the real time motion swing is developed for PG that it is as natural to use as the TGC offering.

I can see that but I guess to me one method is no better than the other (3-click vs. controller swing). What I'm saying is, for me that's not that important, it doesn't make me feel liking I'm putting in real life if I use those methods. Now don't take that as meaning how you like to putt is invalid, it's just my personal preference.  B)

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#59 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:06 PM

I can't get any feeling that I'm swinging a golf club when I use a three click method. At least a controller or mouse swing mimics, to a small degree, the motion of the golf swing. When I'm using a controller to swing the club I'm concentrating on my golfer avatar and his swing, not a swing meter set to one side of the golfer. It just feels disconnected to me, but each to his or her own I guess.
WWG1WGA

#60 Kelson64

Kelson64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:19 AM

I play TGC on console, because it just doesn't run well on my computer. On the flip-side, PG has absolutely no stutter on high settings, and just a tiny bit of stutter on ultra-high. So that's a plus for me.

Comparing the two games is kind of like apples and oranges, though. There are things I like about TGC better, but PG isn't finished yet, so we'll have to wait and see. I agree with Merace about the putting in TGC. I am a clicker-at-heart . . . a throwback to the original Links game . . so I am thrilled to have a click meter in PG that, so far, I am really enjoying.

In the end, I really love TGC . . and I play it practically every day. Thus far, realizing this is early access, I am very impressed with PG. That being said, I am really hoping that the ball physics will be worked on. The ball physics (and animation for that matter) just seem a bit off for me. But again, it's just early access . . and I am pleased with what I have seen thus far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users