169 replies to this topic

#81 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:34 AM

Ahhh yes, the memories. At the time I didn't think it could get any better. Once Jack Nicklaus came out with it's course creator I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I used to download courses off a "bulletin board service" in California from my home in Michigan. If memory serves me correct I think it used to cost me 3 or 4 dollars in transfer time to pick myself up a new course. Seems so silly now, but at the time it was a big deal to be able to trade courses with each other and religiously each and every Friday night I would pick myself up a couple.  ;) Youngsters simply wouldn't be able to relate. :o

My experience goes back to the days of Leaderboard Golf on the Commodore 64. Superb graphics. ;-)

Attached Files

Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#82 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

1984:

desktop8_zpsa4b6c9fb.jpg

• Fairwayman and IanK like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#83 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:25 PM

My experience goes back to the days of Leaderboard Golf on the Commodore 64. Superb graphics. ;-)

Yes, my roots go back to World Class Leaderboard as well. ;) Wayy before people worried about antialiasing. ;)

• IanK likes this

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#84 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

I was another Leaderboard player (moving on to World Class Leaderboard) back in the day on my C64.

Also had this on my C64 in '85 (and yes games weren't cheap back then either - £32.95 - several weeks spending money, lol).

77705_front.jpg

;)

• IanK likes this

#85 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

Yes, my roots go back to World Class Leaderboard as well. ;) Wayy before people worried about antialiasing. ;)

Yeah, I remember firing up World Class Leaderboard for the first time on my Amiga 500 computer, and it was like going from VGA to SVGA graphics with higher quality trees compared to Leaderboard.  If World Class Leaderboard had included the same ball physics as PGA Tour Golf for the Sega Genesis, it would have stayed in my hot list a lot longer.   Once I experienced PGA Tour Golf's physics, I couldn't go back to World Class Leaderboard, even though it had more eye pleasing graphics.  My first golf game was actually "Golf" for the Mattel Intellevision in 1980, and it honestly didn't do much for me.  When Leaderboard and Mean 18 came along, that's when I got hooked.  

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#86 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:07 PM

The beauty is, through emulators we can revisit our youth with the games loading up in a fraction of the time they took with the C64 Datasette player or the 1541 Disk drive, lol.

I often indulge myself in a bit of Thing on a Spring, Monty on the Run, Summer Games I and II and of course Leaderboard.

:D

#87 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:29 AM

My first golf game was actually "Golf" for the Mattel Intellevision in 1980, and it honestly didn't do much for me. 

While I agree that the game itself was not that fun to play, it was THE game that got me into video golf... it was because of Intellevision golf that got me into any golf game proceeding this one.   So there has to be a little tribute for that game.

#88 GolferKristynGetty

GolferKristynGetty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:59 AM

The way I look at is, they are two different animals. TGC is pretty much a single player game and doesn't offer much to do with multiplayer but that seems to be the way they like it over there. Thats cool it held me over until I got hands on PG. There are folks already starting ladders for PG. Plus the simple fact that PG offers an opportunity to meet people and make new friends. And the game plays awesome at least on my PC. I am looking forward to growing with this game and playing people and making more friends. How cool is that?  

I am from The Golf Club and here are some features that keeps me playing:

1. Ghost players to keep you entertain. 

2. They have tournaments very well setup and organize. Never play alone. 

3. I like the graphics but i think its the same as PG? 

4. The Putting is free style so you put with your mouse or controller and that is make its hard! 

5. So many courses to choose from! 

6. Extrememly difficult to master because of putting! :( So greens with different hills makes it very challenging. 

7. TGC 2 Coming out early next year. 

There are unpleasent things about it but it will keep you entertain if you don't mind sticking to a few limited options. 

#89 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:31 AM

I will attempt to answer your points 1-7

1. PG has recorded rounds from people on your friends list, no ghosts here, you play the players avatar, shot for shot

2. PG has online golf tours OGT, also very well setup.

3. TGC has better water and 3D grasses, however you are very limited on how much grass you can plant in TGC's designer, not so with PG's, the grass is 2D and you can plant so much more.  Graphically i find PG better, TGC textures look kinda fake to me, almost too perfect.

4. PG's putting is also freestyle, especially with controller/mouse.

5. All the courses in PG are of a high quality, TGC has over 100k courses, about 0.5% are worth playing.

6. If you think TGC is difficult, then playing PG at beginner or hacker level is prob on a par with that.

7. I think TGC 2 will still cater for the masses rather than the golfer, not for me i'm afraid.

You may well enjoy PG but prob best to start off playing beginner or hacker, coming in at a higher level may frustrate you.  I played TGC from day one, i no longer play it, PG has more options and is much more challenging and satisfying.

hope that helps

• BionicWolf, Fairwayman, cajuncapgun and 1 other like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#90 GolferKristynGetty

GolferKristynGetty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

I will attempt to answer your points 1-7

1. PG has recorded rounds from people on your friends list, no ghosts here, you play the players avatar, shot for shot

2. PG has online golf tours OGT, also very well setup.

3. TGC has better water and 3D grasses, however you are very limited on how much grass you can plant in TGC's designer, not so with PG's, the grass is 2D and you can plant so much more.  Graphically i find PG better, TGC textures look kinda fake to me, almost too perfect.

4. PG's putting is also freestyle, especially with controller/mouse.

5. All the courses in PG are of a high quality, TGC has over 100k courses, about 0.5% are worth playing.

6. If you think TGC is difficult, then playing PG at beginner or hacker level is prob on a par with that.

7. I think TGC 2 will still cater for the masses rather than the golfer, not for me i'm afraid.

You may well enjoy PG but prob best to start off playing beginner or hacker, coming in at a higher level may frustrate you.  I played TGC from day one, i no longer play it, PG has more options and is much more challenging and satisfying.

hope that helps

thank you DogG for being very kind in answering my questions! 

1. Do you why there is 2D grass in PG and not in 3D or using some rendering technique to make it look 3D? 

2. How about players using the 3 click system over the Mouse swing? Can both be used in tournaments or are Pro restricted to full mouse swing control? 

3. What is an RTS swing in PG? 

4. So what is Pro level in PG and what is required of you? Is there a video to see?

5. I am used to Mouse swings in TGC so will I be at pro level in PG? 

6. Is the chipping and mouse swing different in PG? I can't find videos that show this. Thank you! 

7. Just 5 of them would be enough as it takes time to learn how to play on those courses. :) There have ratings for their course so there is enough to play! 

6. I had a look at onlinegolftour.net And with TGC I really like some of the courses with lots of trees and turns. More like Forest Park then traditional Proffessional courses! 

Have a look: Are they any PG course like this? Or are the courses just traditional Tournaments courses as in real life? I tried searching and they all seem to be pretty much real tournament golf course?  

This course is real if you do a google search

Thank you for helping! 

#91 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

Can't play it on a mac.

• GolferKristynGetty likes this

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#92 ProFirefighter

ProFirefighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:35 PM

I am from The Golf Club and here are some features that keeps me playing ...

I am strictly a JNPG golfer, and here are the reasons why:

1. 3 Click
2. 3 Click
3. 3 Click
4. 3 Click
5. 3 Click
6. 3 Click
7. 3 Click

As far as I'm concerned, a huge, huge failure on TGC's end. So they were never on my radar.

Thank goodness for JNPG!

• BionicWolf, erwildcat, GolferKristynGetty and 1 other like this

i5-4460 / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB 7200 RPM / Windows 8.1 / Thermaltake TR2 600W / EVGA GTX 960 FTW

#93 GolferKristynGetty

GolferKristynGetty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:38 PM

Thank you for comment I also am thinking of getting the game cause of the 3 click system but as you know PG is hard at Pro level that is what DoG says. But waiting for a reply if you can use the 3 click system with full mouse swing in tournaments cause will it be unfair and too easy if both players are allowed to play together? 

#94 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

1) All the answers to your questions will be found on this forum if you use the 'Search' function.

2) There are also lots of videos, courtesy of Crusher.  

3) Just buy the game and make up your own mind.

Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#95 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

thank you DogG for being very kind in answering my questions! 

1. Do you why there is 2D grass in PG and not in 3D or using some rendering technique to make it look 3D? 

I believe the reason is for compatibility with older DX9 cards.  The current version of PG supports both DX9 and DX11 (TGC does not support DX9).  The next iteration of PG will support DX11 and DX 12 and will have 3d grass.

2. How about players using the 3 click system over the Mouse swing? Can both be used in tournaments or are Pro restricted to full mouse swing control? 

All swing styles can be used in tournaments.  OGT http://www.onlinegol...net/index.html has set up tours for each swing type as well as a tour where all swings and difficulty levels can compete against each other.  PGLS http://wgtls.golflad...orums/main.php hosts ladder tours.  You will have to investigate whether there are separate or all inclusive tours.

3. What is an RTS swing in PG? 

Real Time Swing.  These are mouse and controller based swings where the animations motion is tied to the mouse or controller movement.  There is also Motion Swing which uses a meter like 3 click but utilizes the mouse or controller movement rather than simply clicking.

4. So what is Pro level in PG and what is required of you? Is there a video to see?

There are 5 difficulty levels in PG.  Beginner, Hacker, Amatuer, Pro and Tour Pro.  Each successive level requires more accuracy in your snap (3C) or mouse/controller swing to hit a straight shot.  The penalties for mishits are amplified the higher the level you play.

5. I am used to Mouse swings in TGC so will I be at pro level in PG?

The mouse swing in TGC would be closer to the amateur level in PG.

6. Is the chipping and mouse swing different in PG? I can't find videos that show this. Thank you! 

The swing for chipping is similar.  However, in PG mouse swings are affected by tempo, swing plane and heel/toe offsets.  This applies to all shot types in PG.

7. Just 5 of them would be enough as it takes time to learn how to play on those courses. :) There have ratings for their course so there is enough to play! 

6. I had a look at onlinegolftour.net And with TGC I really like some of the courses with lots of trees and turns. More like Forest Park then traditional Proffessional courses! 

Have a look: Are they any PG course like this? Or are the courses just traditional Tournaments courses as in real life? I tried searching and they all seem to be pretty much real tournament golf course?  

Yes, there are some tight, tree lined courses in PG.  However, at the higher difficulty levels the traditional tournament style courses can be very challenging.

This course is real if you do a google search

Thank you for helping! 

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#96 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

Happy for this to continue in the off topic area.

#97 GolferKristynGetty

GolferKristynGetty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:25 AM

Thank you Mike Jones! :)  

#98 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:40 AM

Quite enjoyed dipping back into TGC for a random round, after my blow out at nautilus i needed and ego boost  :D

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#99 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:50 AM

I fell asleep watching it.....

#100 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:16 PM

I fell asleep watching it.....

On easy swing i would fall asleep playing it  :) I can't say i didn't enjoy dipping back into it, once in a while is ok, just wish the cone on iron play was smaller like the woods.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users