#1 footslogger

footslogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:43 AM

I've had a quick look at early reviews and they seem to rate the new game as decent but not outstanding.  I'd be interested to know what people here think of it, especially in comparison with JNPG.

#2 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:44 AM

Take a look at the TGC2 topic in Off-Topic.

#3 footslogger

footslogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:47 AM

Ok thanks.  Perhaps a moderator can delete this thread.

#4 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:15 AM

Delete all threads with TGC in them.

• ✠ davef ✠, jimbob59 and IanK like this

#5 danno99uk

danno99uk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

Hi all

As a long time player of Perfect Golf I thought I'd buy the newly released Golf Club 2 to see how things stack up. 

Of course it's very polished and is a 'finished' product as far as my limited play has revealed. However I have to say, I'm still preferring Perfect Golf and don't think the product should worry at all about GC2. 

The courses just don't 'feel' right to me - too arcady and detached, like later versions of the EA franchise. Likewise it just isn't as involving to play, and I also prefer PP's physics which ring truer to me being a golfer in real life.

So in short - we haven't anything to worry about. Keep up the good work PP and looking forward to seeing elements like 'Career' mode to push us into the future. 

D

• DoGgs likes this

#6 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:10 AM

We have something to worry about: If TGC2 has very good sales, it might be difficult for JNPG 2 to aquire a significantly bigger playerbase than we have now. And in the end you have to have enough customers (return of invest) to be motivated to continue developing.

We can only hope that there are enough people out there, who have no problems to buy 2 games. There might be.

I really think JNPG 2 will be good. Really good. But that doesn't always equate to economical success (high sales). I hope though that it will. 

• MERACE and danno99uk like this

#7 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

Why does the ball slice when you swing from 'in to out' as this is the opposite of real golf?

#8 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

Why does the ball slice when you swing from 'in to out' as this is the opposite of real golf?

I thought the same of PG when I moved to RTMS... but then someone schooled me on what is really happening.   So who knows? 

#9 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:29 AM

Delete all threads with TGC in them.

Or simply don't read and comment in them?   It's not that hard... 

Anyway, some of the initial reviews that I have read, there are similarities from different sources... some are definite improvements, some need sorting out and some remain the same. 

- Many have indicated that ball physics are greatly improved.

- Putting seems to be the one thing many are happy with...

- Game play is smoother and quicker

- Many have said textures and graphics appear to be "washed out", which was something many have said about the original.  Others have said the graphics are slightly improved, but not by much. 

- Weather changes appear to be a big hit.. many like them, but they are limited by what the designer chooses, not the in game settings. 

- Lot's of connection issues at the moment, seems to be the biggest complaint, but I am sure those will be sorted out. 

Anyway, those are just some highlights... I would like to read more about the swing mechanics... but I will continue to read and see what is going on with this game.  So far, I am not swayed in buying it for Xbox1.  But that can change in time.  

#10 Pro8ballUK

Pro8ballUK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

early thoughts on TGC2 definitely harder to hit straight than the first game(playing on tour clubs)game in general is just better,don't give a hoot about textures etc,but why oh why make some things worse than TGC1,joining friends games and having to match up with their settings is ludicrous,playing last night in a 3some and one guy was on different tees and pins,and in society's you can only set tournaments that run for 7 days,honestly these guys are obviously clever but some omissions from the game borderline on bizarre

#11 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

- Putting seems to be the one thing many are happy with...

This is largely unchanged from v1 from what I could tell and it's just "ok" in my book.

I personally greatly prefer RTS-C putting here.

The TGC putting has too much of a weighty feel to it for me.  

I liked it a long time ago before RTS-C came around, but it's not my favorite anymore.

#12 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

Merged topics - please try and keep TGC related stuff in one thread thx.

#13 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw a setting to reverse that if the user wants.
It is odd, no question

It certainly is odd that they appear to have lots of options for some things (like the HUD - which looks wonderful and is super nice to have all those options for), but then there are still lots of remnants of the TGC1 ethos of "this is how it is", a prime example being the forced panning aerial shot before every single tee shot that you can't turn off.  

Yes you can hit X to skip it, but you have to do that forever?  

Ugh... 

Their forum members are already, rightfully, complaining about that one (was a complaint in TGC1 also).

Back to the HUD - I really like how they reduced the visual weight vs what was there in v1 and also how flexible they made it.  The one change I'd made quickly was to kill the aiming reticule and having distance/elevation info on the course in front of me and instead put it up in the top right so it could be easily compared with club selection and also just clear up the view of the course.  It's really nice to have that kind of flexibility to tune it how you'd prefer to play.

#14 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

Seemed odd to me too and it was this way in TGC1. But as Buck has stated, and as I learned when posting about this with TGC1, there is a setting to reverse that. I've opted to reverse it so that it makes sense to me but some swear by the rational for the other way...

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#15 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw a setting to reverse that if the user wants.
It is odd, no question

I see that now - thx. Interestingly enough the default is 'inversed' as I guess that's more in keeping with targetting none golfers and it might make more sense for them to have it that way.

• MERACE likes this

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

...targetting none golfers..

There certainly are some "features" that will help to target none golfers (as in none of us...)

lol

#17 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

My initial impressions are mostly positive but I'm not blown away. I think the game will give me some entertainment while I wait for JNPG 2.0 (or whatever the next major release is).

Cons first...
Lighting has some issues. The root of the issue is that the time of day is chosen by the course designer. And since they all want the big money shot for their course pictures, they chose early morning or late evening with over-the-top lens flares. Fine for pictures but it's a pain in the arse to play this way. The lens flares are HUGE - they can take up 1/2 of the screen at times and it's just... annoying. Often times the golfer because fairly underexposed as well. This area of the game needs some work but the biggest issue is that time of day should be user selectable and they aren't likely to change that.

Course situation - course conditions, weather, and time of day are all tied to the course. Seems to me this would be user selectable. It's creating other issues as well. Tournaments are locked in to using the same course for all rounds which means that you are playing the exact same course four times in a row (assuming four rounds in a tournament). It also means that if there were to allow for using "different courses" per round that a designer would have to create multiple versions of a course just to allow for different conditions for each round. It's clunky and bass awkwards. Conditions, weather, and time of day need to be separated from the courses and enabled via options in the round setup.

Textures and overall graphics - it still feels "arcadey" to me and in general I'm perfectly fine with that. But the game is starting to look dated. I'd hoped for a bigger step up in graphics. After seeing the possibilities with Nvidia's turf, TGC's 3D grass looks pretty bad to me. Never thought I'd say this, but in many ways (animations aside), JNPG looks better (to me) than TGC2 even with the 2D grass textures. This is definitely just a personal preference though.

Pros:
Tour clubs are a big improvement. I personally love the tempo element of the swing in addition to the tighter swing cone. It really makes you focus. I've played 5 rounds so far and shot 1 under in two rounds, 1 over in a round, 2 over in a round, and 5 over in a round. I do not know yet the swing will have the legs that JNPG's RTSC on Tour Pro does - meaning, I'm not sure if I'll quickly master TGC2's Tour clubs or if it will forever be difficult and nuanced but for now I'm really enjoying the swing and this alone will override most negatives for me as it's fun to play.

Character customization - they clearly spent a lot of time here and it shows. It's overwhelming but that's a good thing. Endless possibilities.

Societies - I like the idea and I hope it plays out well. We will see.

UI - greatly improved. I love all the HUD options.

Cameras - great options here and some good ones. JNPG's free cam beats anything I've seen and I wish TGC2 has something like this (if it does I haven't found it). But I love the ability to toggle multiple camera views while the ball is in flight. Very cool.

Overall - I'm enjoying the game. They'd done some great things as well as made some head scratching decisions that has the forums buzzing at the moment but I'm sure it will all get sorted eventually.
  • nightowl likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#18 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

Really good summary, mebby. The swing mechanic is a winner in my book. I'm not sure yet if it's enough to offset some of the negatives about TGC2. I think you're on-target about the lighting. I've even wondered if the textures would look better if the lighting was less intense. And how do you switch cameras while the ball is in flight? I can't figure it out.

#19 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

Really good summary, mebby. The swing mechanic is a winner in my book. I'm not sure yet if it's enough to offset some of the negatives about TGC2. I think you're on-target about the lighting. I've even wondered if the textures would look better if the lighting was less intense. And how do you switch cameras while the ball is in flight? I can't figure it out.

Use the Dpad. Each direction is a different camera. Works really well.

I posted on the lighting in the HBS forums and we aren't alone. Everyone that's posted so far agrees completely. It's just WAY too intense.
  • nightowl likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#20 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

There's a swing control setting called "Inverted" where you can make this happen... the ball will follow the path of the club instead of doing what physics would naturally dictate.  If you have that same setting to "Normal", it will produce a hook on an in/out swing path.  Why anyone would opt for "Inverted", I haven't a clue?

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users