#41 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

i've been motion hitter i think the day it came out when i was playing links 2003--to me it's more like hitten real golf--3click to me is just another computer game--remember thats just my thinking --i tryed 3 click for long time - never had the enjoyment of a golf game--- i will admit i loose a lot - but i did that when i used to play real golf --lol :)

#42 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

RTSC for me personally but options are always good. In my own opinion I feel that 3C is ancient and mostly irrelevant in today's gaming world. It was created when there wasn't anything more engaging to use. It just feels lifeless and disconnected to me. It's plenty difficult - that's not my issue... it's just boring.

I'm in totally the opposite camp. I've been motion swinging with controller or mouse since the mid 90's starting with Actua Golf and I only switched back to 3-click last year on JNPG because I was finding RTS-C boring and predictable. My timing on 3-click is atrocious and I now enjoy the danger and unpredictability of courses and find myself in all sorts of situations on courses that I find far more realistic of a round of real golf, even if the method of swinging is less realistic. With 3-click I find myself thinking and executing shots in the same way as when I was playing for real, rather than just going through the motions of pulling a stick backwards and forwards with little care or worry for the result.

• gravedodger likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#43 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

There's no such thing as a "realistic" golf swing with a mouse, regardless if you are clicking or push/pulling it.

• ArcadeHack likes this

#44 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

There's no "realistic" swing on a computer, period, save for using a real club with a SIM.
It's all just preference.
  • DivotMaker likes this

#45 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

There's no "realistic" swing on a computer, period, save for using a real club with a SIM.
It's all just preference.

Especially true in light of the fact that everyone has a different definition of realism or what "realistic" is.

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#46 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

Especially true in light of the fact that everyone has a different definition of realism or what "realistic" is

If people would just base their opinions on real life, its not so hard is it.  I questioned the chip shot in TGC 2 as not being very realistic, i say this because i cannot identify with the shot reaction and behaviour compared to what i see and experience in real life. PG's chip shot has a much higher degree of realism, this is not my opinion..this is fact, based on having played and seen many chip shots over numerous years.  neither PG or TGC nail it 100% but its real easy to see which one has a higher degree of realism.  Unless you are a die hard fan of a particular game you have no grounds to disagree.  My opinion only comes into it when i claim a particular degree of realism, my opinion regarding the chip shot in PG and TGC is as follows..

PG = 85%

TGC 2 = 50%

I think you could disagree with these values but not to the extent where TGC would be higher than PG because the factual evidence for the real life chip shot supports the PG mechanic.  Apply this to other facets of play and there is no need for everyone to be different is there. 

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#47 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

Why are we talking about TGC2 vs PG in here?

#48 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

Why are we talking about TGC2 vs PG in here?

we are not, we are talking realism and you need comparisons to work with...what other games can we use?

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#49 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

we are not, we are talking realism and you need comparisons to work with...what other games can we use?

I'm not sure talking about different games was the point, but rather the swing methods in use solely in this game (PG).

#50 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:56 PM

I will say again, the attention has turned to realism, i don't see how and why everyone needs to be different when you can apply facts, i'm not trying to upset TGC 2 fans, lol god forbid i do that in the PG forum..anyway, my disdain for TGC's short game is already out there,  I just suggest applying what you see and experience in real golf and go with that, no golf game is 100% realistic, only degrees of realism.  Obviously there is no comparison to be made between a mouse, controller compared to a golf club, i'm talking about ball reactions and behaviour.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#51 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:27 PM

If people would just base their opinions on real life, its not so hard is it.  I questioned the chip shot in TGC 2 as not being very realistic, i say this because i cannot identify with the shot reaction and behaviour compared to what i see and experience in real life. PG's chip shot has a much higher degree of realism, this is not my opinion..this is fact, based on having played and seen many chip shots over numerous years.  neither PG or TGC nail it 100% but its real easy to see which one has a higher degree of realism.  Unless you are a die hard fan of a particular game you have no grounds to disagree.  My opinion only comes into it when i claim a particular degree of realism, my opinion regarding the chip shot in PG and TGC is as follows..

PG = 85%

TGC 2 = 50%

I think you could disagree with these values but not to the extent where TGC would be higher than PG because the factual evidence for the real life chip shot supports the PG mechanic.  Apply this to other facets of play and there is no need for everyone to be different is there. 

I am not sure where you get the idea I am trying to compare between the two games. I'm not. You and I think differently and have differing opinion. Nothing wrong with that. But lets not state absolutes and this or that opinion as to what constitutes realism is invalid.

You are of the opinion that the short game (ie, chipping) is broken in TGC2. It is DIFFERENT than PG. Could it be improved? Hell yes. Could the chipping in PG be improved? Hell yes. I am getting a realistic experience with the chipping in TGC2. Every once in a while I will get a result that leaves me scratching my head chipping in TGC2. I also get that from time to time in PG. So because both games are not 100% in chipping in your opinion, they BOTH are unrealistic using your logic above. Try not to paint games or parts of games with such a broad stroke. They all do things well and some things not as well and let it be.

Having been around Golf videogames for nearly 30 years, I have seen user definitions of realism that defy logic.

You also need to be aware that what you may call a lack of realism, may be due to a programming issue where some things with the Golf swing or ball physics can't get there with today's computer code. For example, PP is still working on the cup physics as a new Beta is out to test these improvements. They are struggling to get it "right". It is not an easy task. So many times I see someone claim that they can't believe this or that feature is not in the game because it is 2017 and we should have USS Enterprise holodeck reality to play video golf with. Sometimes user expectations are simply so far out there, nothing the Developer can do to satisfy them.

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#52 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

I don't think i said you were comparing divot, i just see no reason for many differing views on realism when you have real golf to compare facets of the game to. I have two golf games in my library and gauge their realism from real golf experiences, anyone who has ever played golf can do the same, i just don't think there is need for a huge spectrum of differences in this area that's all, we are not treading unchartered territory here.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#53 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:48 PM

I'm in totally the opposite camp. I've been motion swinging with controller or mouse since the mid 90's starting with Actua Golf and I only switched back to 3-click last year on JNPG because I was finding RTS-C boring and predictable. My timing on 3-click is atrocious and I now enjoy the danger and unpredictability of courses and find myself in all sorts of situations on courses that I find far more realistic of a round of real golf, even if the method of swinging is less realistic. With 3-click I find myself thinking and executing shots in the same way as when I was playing for real, rather than just going through the motions of pulling a stick backwards and forwards with little care or worry for the result.

Interesting perspective... just goes to show that it's great to have options!! 3C is definitely difficult on TP! No debate there!

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#54 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

Well stated DivotMaker!

-MERACE
  • DoGgs likes this

#55 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

Seems like the only ones commenting in the "In praise of 3C" thread are the non 3 clickers. LOL
  • DoGgs likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#56 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

Seems like the only ones commenting in the "In praise of 3C" thread are the non 3 clickers. LOL

Well, there's not a lot to say from my end, really; The first golf game I ever played on my PC, many moons ago, was 3 click and that's all I've ever really known and been comfortable with ever since. That doesn't mean I haven't tried a few other methods just to see what all the fuss is about but I could never get comfortable or proficient with them. So, 3 click it is and will remain... ;)

• Crow357 likes this
Ken

#57 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:39 PM

And here I thought the breakfast of champions was/is Wheaties....!!!!!!

Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#58 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

I get that some folks find 3C boring, pointless, out dated and not worthy of inclusion in a golf game, but I'm thankful Andrew and Mike included it in JNPG. I've been a 3C player for over 25 years and it is the way I prefer to play computer golf. I guess years of Links: The Challenge of Golf, Links 386 and Links 386 Pro got me settled in my ways. Even the advent of PS and RTS in later Links series releases couldn't prise me away. 3C was my thing.

I find the Tour Pro skill setting in JNPG a real challenge, even if the swing meter could do with a bit of a revamp, but I wouldn't want to play any other way. Some rounds drift away well over par, some I'm battling to keep it even and on the odd occasions I get on a roll and fire a few birdies to get me under par. For me it is the best computer golf experience I have had. Roll on JNPG2.

• KenR, Tigers Agent, gravedodger and 3 others like this

#59 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:34 AM

...I think that PG is the best multiplayer golf experience EVER.  :)

Agreed - even playing against recordings. I have always maintained an Elo ladder in the lobby would be a riot (in a good way). A competition where swing methods and skill levels would not matter.

#60 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

When I play 3C, it's birdie golf - anything else, bogey golf.  My last Motion Swing round was +12 (with a last hole eagle).  I was missing tap-in putts, which just doesn't make for fun.

The shame is, I love the trajectories with MS.  A fade really does seems to start left before the spin takes over.  3C shot shapes look too 'perfect' or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users