47 replies to this topic

#21 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

JNPG might be the last game who has 3-click....

In reference to JNPG, 3Click would continue to be (IMHO) the young and old "PC Loyalists" choice for virtual golf.   At this point in the evolution of technology, building a Gaming Box for super demanding games and just for brute power is why PC's are preferred over Consoles.

I don't think people realize how much gets invested in PC Gaming Stations around the world.

Here are some stats. Click the image below to view the article.

35462890013_06492f9047_b.jpg

β›³                          πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                             πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ                              β›³

xqc8g0-2.png

πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                                                       πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

β›³                          πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                             πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ                              β›³

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#22 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:01 AM

I'm loving 3C.

It really is one swing you can take with you everywhere, anytime. Losing my RTS-M mojo was a bad move.

I would say I'm around a 5 handicapper at TourPro now. 

The putting is probably the most realistic part of the game. Missing the snap is problematic - just like trying to keep the putter straight irl.

Surprisingly I think the dial-a-distance is great and I could justify its relevance in a sim. A better designed meter would just about seal it for me. I might work on a design.

#23 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

I'm loving 3C.

It really is one swing you can take with you everywhere, anytime. Losing my RTS-M mojo was a bad move.

I would say I'm around a 5 handicapper at TourPro now.

The putting is probably the most realistic part of the game. Missing the snap is problematic - just like trying to keep the putter straight irl.

Surprisingly I think the dial-a-distance is great and I could justify its relevance in a sim. A better designed meter would just about seal it for me. I might work on a design.

Do you now prefer 3C over MS or RTSM??

It's a difficult swing to master but man it just bores me to death. That slow swing meter hypnotizes me to sleep.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#24 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

In a Perfect world, mebby, everyone would be using RTS-M/H. Unfortunately this isn't a Perfect world in terms of:  numbers of players, the reluctance of players to embrace RTS, the ability to manipulate the swing in RTS, the need for constant practice to maintain the RTS-M/H.

I like the fact I can go straight to the tee with 3C and start hitting reasonable shots and score close to par - even at TourPro. It fulfills the desire to play golf like a Tour Pro. 

It IS a boring meter - I grant you that (I'm going to mock-up some designs when I get to work which I believe would enhance the experience) and has a strangely slow and consistent speed (has anyone thought about a vari-speed meter?) but there's nothing boring about the tension of trying to hit the ding. I find that those little miss-hits provide a realistic effect of a golfer not quite on their game. I have started using the shot-maker more to move the ball in the air to manufacture a draw-based flight.

Do I prefer 3C now? I prefer going out and having a competent round at TourPro with less frustration and more enjoyment. 

#25 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

By the way - I haven't had any stuttering at all. I don't know what that means. The reason I went to RTS-M within two minutes of early release of PG was an horrendous stutter with 3C. I might never have tried any other method if there was no stutter back then - when was that 1997 or 1998 - something like that.

#26 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:56 AM

Hi again. It's Ted from the basement here.

Is there an OGT tournament that is strictly 3C TourPro?  I can't seem to work it out from the site and it seems I've been deregistered and I'm too scared to sign up again in case I'm knocked back. 

I firmly believe it's the only tournament that would be incorruptible.

It's cold down here.

#27 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

Hi Ted,

is everything okay with you?????

Just asking  :D  :D  :D  :D

#28 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

Oh, they've stuck me down here in the bowels of the forum frank. It's OK. I'll stick some photos of Kel Nagle up on the besser block walls to make it homely. I don't mind. There's some good jokes by the occasional visitor which keeps my spirits up.

I'm a bit concerned that guys will think of me as a traitor to RTS-M but I have the pride of my convictions. I don't think that's the whole reason I've been exiled but it pays not to upset the applecart obviously. Some people don't like me because I'm an individual....well PARDONEZ MOI !!

But enough about me. How's the RTS-M going? I know it's a lonely crusade and I wasn't up to it although I tried my best. But enough about me. Is anyone bar you, mebby and my hero Armand still using RTS-M? I don't get much news down here. But enough about me...WOAH... gotta go. I can hear the jackboots coming down the corridor. You can hear them coming from a mile away.

Before I go. Someone told me this one the other day...

A very obese gentleman goes to the doc and tells him he's tried every diet to no avail and is desperate.

The doc says, "Well, there is a method that I'm reluctant to reveal because it is so controversial."

"TELL ME", the man cries.

"Alright then. What you have to do is insert all your food up your......."

Geez, Louise. I've got to go. They're banging on the firedoor. Catch ya later.

• frank70 likes this

#29 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

Hey Ted Geez Louise belongs to me!! Keep your hands, and mind, off of her. UNDERSTAND??? :angry: 

Richard

Posted Image

#30 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

My wife is named Louise, Richard, although she's now Lily. I couldn't help myself. You know - 'every leedle breeze seems to whisper Louise...' (Maurice Chevalier).

But point taken. No hands will be placed upon her ever again. (At least two people will be happy.)

• Richard likes this

#31 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

My wife is named Louise, Richard, although she's now Lily. I couldn't help myself. You know - 'every leedle breeze seems to whisper Louise...' (Maurice Chevalier).

But point taken. No hands will be placed upon her ever again. (At least two people will be happy.)

Well, my Louise is fictional, yours is real. Make you a deal, we'll share. :D

Richard

Posted Image

#32 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

2C in Links 2003 could be used at any level. I played Champ using it.

If you played Anateur level the snap click wasn't applied and it always gave you a 6 o'clock strike, but was good for learning the game before moving to Pro.

I hope PP can look in to adding a 2C method to the game in the future.

It is basically click and hold LMB and then release when meter reaches desired power. Then downswing just the same as with 3C where you click again to hit the snap.

#33 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

When I think about it Daz, 2C could possibly be a better option in that it is a slightly more 'natural' mechanism. You have to ask yourself why would they add the extra click when it isn't needed. 

Look at it this way...

To hold the button after starting the backswing provides a 'flowing' take-away and the release is more commensurate with the real feeling of the swing. It goes some way to simplifying the mechanics which is arguably comparable to a real swing. There isn't a lot of true intellectualising in a real swing. You take the club head away from address and basically there is a point where your physiology determines where to start the downswing. The top of a 2C swing is almost determined by intuition. Clicking is a necessary evil but there is no need to add any more clicks than you have to. It only adds a level of complexity that is simply not in a real swing.

Just some ponderings while I'm lying on my camping stretcher down here. Not much else to do.

Anyway, the doc informs the obese guy that food has to be inserted into the anus. He tells his patient that even though it works and he will lose weight there is a chance that he will suffer side-effects. The man asks the doc what they are.

"Well..." says the doctor "There is a possibility that, if you follow this diet..........you might turn gay."

The guy turns this revelation over in his mind and after some consideration says, "OK. Let's do it. I'm desperate doc."

After a few weeks the man returns to the doctor and.....

Hold on. They are blow-torching the steel door to my cell. More later if I get a chance.

#34 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

@Ted

RTS-M is fine. I am doing still pretty okay with it at OGT. I have even won one tournament in the season. The last weeks my results are getting worse and worse. Probably because i am not playing the game as much as i did before. Even JNPG needs practice to stay good!!

Probably though it is a punishment by the golf gods ... because i have bought, you know, THE OTHER GOLF GAME.

I am not still on the dark side of the 3-click. I am on the dark side of THE OTHER GOLF GAME, although i have recognized pretty quickly that it isn't half as good gameplay wise as JNPG. But i am bad at it and my competitive nature tells me that i have to become good. I am convinced that the golf gods treat me way harsher than you because of that almost blasphemous behaviour.

Apropos Dark Side: Typing this i am listening to Pink Floyds "Dark side of the moon" - best record ever made!!!! I always thought you were a RTS-M-player at heart. I considered us as "Us and them" (as one song of the record is named).

• Ted_Ball likes this

#35 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:12 PM

I'm in the process of compiling  a list of ideas collected over the years (not all my own) of possible improvements to give a more engaging 3-click swing experience.  I'll post it soon.

• Ted_Ball likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#36 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:32 PM

...my results are getting worse and worse. Probably because i am not playing the game as much as i did before. Even JNPG needs practice to stay good!!

Yes frank. That's the beauty and the curse of RTS-M. There is no doubt that I would be using RTS if there was a robust RTS only competition (but it really would have to be in some multiplayer or recorded form). There is not much point in me practicing if I'm playing one round a fortnight and therefore my RTS game deteriorates. And therefore the enjoyment disappears.

I am convinced that the golf gods treat me way harsher than you because of that almost blasphemous behaviour.

I am listening to Pink Floyds "Dark side of the moon" - best record ever made!!!! I always thought you were a RTS-M-player at heart. I considered us as "Us and them" (as one song of the record is named).

The golf gods can be harsh frank (but not nearly as harsh as the forum gods).

I am an RTS-M player at heart. It is the best. We were the pioneers of an amazing swing method and we were warriors who formed an elite group (not a clique). Alas, my mercurial nature meant I wasn't spending enough hours playing it. I've said it a thousand times that a lobby Elo would get me back on the course daily and play more than one round at that.

'Dark Side of the Moon' is still Australia's best selling album I think. Although I eschewed album buying after the Beatles split up I acknowledge the album as one of the greats. I've mastered the keyboard while in exile utilising my revolutionary chart method and I can now play 'Cavatina' fluently - something I never thought I would be capable of. I have my eye on Pink Floyd songs to add to my repertoire of one. I'll learn 'Us and Them' as a tribute to RTS-M.

I'm in the process of compiling  a list of ideas collected over the years (not all my own) of possible improvements to give a more engaging 3-click swing experience.  I'll post it soon.

That would be interesting highfade. I made a start on a 3C meter mock-up at work yesterday. I considered things like....

Should there be an animation of the golfer in the circle. Maybe a stylised figure of a golfer.

Then I thought would it be effective to have just the club shaft with hands on the grip in the circle with the clubhead running around the circumference where the line is at present. That would give a better feeling of swinging a club and the whipping action.

And why not have a ball as the snap point.

The other thing is that the path of the clubhead is, of course, not circular. I can see no reason why the irregular path of the clubhead in real life could not be in place instead of a circle. 

Another innovation could be a variable speed of the swing which might have the effect of increasing the difficulty.

#37 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:33 PM

These things come to mind while I'm waiting for the water to boil on my one burner kerosene camp stove. Oh, and by the way, they weren't trying to cut their way into my chamber - they were next door trying to get in to the room of tlvx who was due for his daily 'attention'. Deena was wailing all night as well. It's all cool though. Now, where was I...

So the guy walks in to the doc's surgery looking svelte and fabulous. He minces across the room wearing hotpants with little, short steps - does a twirl - then stands there with one hand on a hip and minces on the spot, wriggling his pelvis.
The doc says, "Man, you look fantastic but I did tell you that there was a chance you would turn gay."
The guy looks puzzled at first then says, noticing his own movements, "Oh this? No, no I'm not gay. I'm chewing a mintie".

It's OK Deena. Be quiet now.

Is there anybody out there?

#38 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:56 AM

β€œIs there anybody out there?β€œ

Another Pink Floyd song. After all β€œThe Wallβ€œ is the better record for you to listen to in your current state.

But we all are a little paranoid from time to time, right?
  • MERACE and Ted_Ball like this

#39 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

frank70,

My state of mind right now for both golf games is "High Hopes" & "Loss For Words" (The Division Bell). ;)

-MERACE
  • frank70 likes this

#40 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

frank70,

My state of mind right now for both golf games is "High Hopes" & "Loss For Words" (The Division Bell). ;)

-MERACE

"Time" spent and in some cases "Money" lost.  ;)

• MERACE likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users