Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

DPRoberts:

"Looking great, K11. Always amazed at the cultural educating you provide."

Stop it right there, my friend! Me sure ain't educatin' nobody round here, no Sir, not me, nuh-uh! But every golf course has roots in its location, every location has a taste, a feel, a look and a story, and every place is rich with it's own culture. And this cultures seeps into the design, determines shapes, views and colours - everything is connected, and I try to explore how. I have a compulsory disorder about being obsessively different and am forced to shun common denominators and non-descript generalities like a vampire lord hissing at sun light. I do not want to educate anybody in anything, though, least of all in a foreign culture...

...which, to be brutally honest, is beautifully inaccessible to me. The Japanese Shinto and Zen traditions come with their own wealth of principles, symbols, attitudes and intricacies - impossible to grasp for a stupid gaijin like me. I'm mimicking the real thing, at best, copying and interpreting it, flinging about mere words like "ma" or "kami", yet without grasping their true essence. So: Apologies to all here who may be more versed in this magical universe - my clumsy parody is not meant to offend their sensitivities, but to bow down to this heritage in dumbfounded awe.

Now what was it what I came her for in the first place? I forget...  Ah, yes, of course! Images... holes 11 (par 3, 185y) and 12 (par 4, 412 y)...

MxRlsgL.jpg

00oMnpJ.jpg

• DPRoberts likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#22 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

K11, on this course, will we be able to just levitate the ball directly into the hole?

Richard

Posted Image

#23 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:16 PM

I no naka no kawazu taikai wo shirazu

I'd still like to see a trimmed geisha bush,

or just a plain rice Patty.

And no, I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody.

Terrific canvas K, don't let my mundane mindless minutiae

muck up your majestic majesty.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#24 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:37 PM

The Koans of K11

A young student once asked the great master K11 "Master, what is the zen of course design?"

"Even greens and fairways can become enlightened" he replied.

The student immediately had a great golf awakening.

• vainte likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#25 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

bonsai as tee markers would be nice

• GoldenBear likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#26 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:28 AM

SpeedTree has a smashing deal on this bonsai at $49.00 and 75,652 polygons (not tris). With 4 tee sets, that's 8 markers at only 605,216 polygons. With all 18 holes planted, that's 10,893,888 polygons. But, if you set your LODs just right, I'm sure there will be no FPS impact. I'd be shocked if he doesn't jump on this.

naYkB8T.jpg

#27 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

naYkB8T.jpg

My wife says this is what will happen if I don't rinse the bath after using it.

• erwildcat and GoldenBear like this

#28 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

My wife says this is what will happen if I don't rinse the bath after using it.

Easy solution. Don't use it!! :P

Richard

Posted Image

#29 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

Har-dee-har-har... sorry, but a (BLEEP)ing bonsai? What the (BLEEP)?

Yeah, that's right, let's just go for the first (BLEEP)ing cliché that shoots through our skull! And let's spend half a kings ransom just to impress people. But that ain't Zen, folks: Restraint, refinement and harmony, that's the deal. Accordingly, the tee markers on the Shogun will be tiny little things, like lacquered boxes for storing jewellery or a folded canvas sheet on which your favourite haiku has been painted in exquisite calligraphy. Don't go in with the sledge hammer and plant a (BLEEP)ing bonsai if the light touch of a feather is enough...  

9K7t2sy.jpg

4 tees on offer, from left to right: Championship, Members, Forward, Ladies. And yeah, you saw that thing in the background of the image above. So here goes: 15th hole, island green, par 3, 154 yds.

87VdsNS.jpg

And while you're here, take a gander at the previous 14th hole, 400yds, looking easy enough at first sight...

CQ8inwL.jpg

Only to greet you with the meanest and most cruel green my sick imagination could come up with. Target areas are tiny, miss them just a bit and you'll be off on a roller coaster ride of horror.  Easiest escape might be putting into the semi rough around the pot bunkers to be able to play a pitch or a flop shot from there... that's a K11 koan, JoeF.

wjnE3nM.jpg

ta!

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#30 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

ok ok no bonsai...wow! restraint and harmony you say...start practicing what you may or may not be preaching, a simple thanks but no thanks would have sufficed

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#31 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

I've read every one of K11's  post, and I'm fairly certain

that was a THANKS! 

Don't be offended, he doesn't care much for humans.

• RobC likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#32 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

ok ok no bonsai...wow! restraint and harmony you say...start practicing what you may or may not be preaching, a simple thanks but no thanks would have sufficed

Looks like he's shifting from me to you.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#33 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

DoGgz: "ok ok no bonsai...wow! restraint and harmony you say...start practicing what you may or may not be preaching, a simple thanks but no thanks would have sufficed

Thanks but no thanks, then. 

Neal, please don't make excuses for me: That was no "Thanks!" and I do despise all humans equally.

Sorry for the ruffled feathers, but I do get a tad cross whenever somebody starts making suggestions about my designs, no matter whether they are valid and helpful - or spontaneous and a bit facile. No matter which, to me they are always unwelcome - that's just me, and I am committed, as my way of keeping the peace, to firmly STFU about other members designs and all the not-quite-thoroughly-thought-through little things I keep spotting in them.

Oh dear, they are going to call me arrogant, now... Neal, what's the excuse for that one?

Now then. Today's subject is... objects. Let's review:

We start with the must-have structure for all matters Shinto (turns out it ain't a bonsai): A Torii. This one also acts als landmark that stands out to be seen from far away - a constant theme in all my projects. 

CX64yUV.jpg

The clubhouse is meant to be designed in classic Shinto architecture: A wooden building with a tile roof, standing elevated above the ground. This is meant to be a Shoguns very private country retreat, to where he would flee from his palace to ponder whatever a Shogun ponders when he doesn't feel like doing Shogun things. Also booze and women. And music, calligraphy and poetry, a bit of ikebana on the side, that sort of stuff.

hl0wOim.jpg

The tees are all round, we touched that, and come with the usual paraphernalia: A bench, a bucket, a ballwasher and a decorative little background fence (just because, why the heck not).

XUkinQp.jpg

Every now and then you will come across these Warrior Shrines, erected by the Shogun to honour the memory of his fallen Samurai. They are very helpful at providing golfers with aiming help and a general idea of where the terrain needs to go. In the instance below, there's two of them on the 6th par 5 hole, for players to aim right between them to find the green with their uphill shots.

tC0PPJI.jpg

Next up, the Rain Shelter and/or Shadowy Resting Place. Or just a waiting area because the (BLEEP)ing four ball ahead is playing so (BLEEP)ing slow... The usual miniature versions of the clubhouse, located strategically across the course.

YRzx7Ky.jpg

Small Footbridges offer access to islands and across the shores of the central swamp-pond. They used to be larger, but where made smaller only recently to prevent a certain buffoon-in-chief from driving his caddy cart onto the greens. 

0ZeNNYp.jpg

The Retaining Walls are... retaining and whatnot.

CAzf5o6.jpg

And finally, the Ronin Graves mark spots where the dead bodies of infidel Ronins were sunk into the swamp. Unlike the Warrior Shrines, golfers should never attempt to land their balls anywhere near these...

PMfAIpH.jpg

All these things have been designed by me as low-poly game objects. Seen from close, they are clunky and fugly, on account of me keeping the poly-count low. And, those with trained eye may have spotted this already by recognising common patterns, they all were made from the same texture map and all share the same material:

9QlqbZ5.jpg

Which is cheap and lazy, admittedly. And also a bit Zen in its own way: To conjure up complexity from simplicity.

Nah, seriously, it's mainly laziness.

Sorry for the wall of text, but it isn't easy to compete for top forum berths against all the other current threads, all of them so freshly original and  highly interesting. Oh dear, now they will call me a cynic. Neal?

• RobC and DPRoberts like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#34 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

"Neal, please don't make excuses for me"

There is no excuse for you I could give, thanks.

However, after absorbing many walls of your ever enlightening text,

I feel I have some perception into the narcissistic, anti-social, psychopathic,

bi-polar, schizophrenic, human hating mass of goo we so graciously call K11.

I was only trying to explain that it's not safe to get too close to the cage.

Oh, and very nice work, freshly original, and highly interesting.

I'm not being cynical so STFU!.

#35 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:05 AM

Unless we presume the sludge at Mulligan Municipal was some anthropomorphic indulgence, I feel the mass of goo was a bit much.

AFAIK, he has only posted a single selfie to date and it seemed more like a sharp toothed fiend from the depths of Modor, who possibly indulges in too many cigarettes.

#36 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:11 AM

Have you considered up-turning the corners on the building eaves?

#37 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

I have, then made the creative (and not necessarily correct) decision of dismissing this notion. You point at a classic feature of Japanese (and Chinese) architecture indeed  - same as the roof bulging inward then upward from the center. But the most ancient Japanese buildings do not have that feature yet and are very basic shapes assembled by very clever wood joinery. 

ALA00906.jpg?sequence=1

Japanese design is minimal and spartan at its origin, almost joylessly functional and all exterior embellishments are of a later date, after the original shinto culture was slowly adapting to co-exist with buddhism. I did glam up this basic system, admittedly, and also took a lot of creative licence, but did not want to stray too far into swirls and fanciness. I was a bit afraid, and still am, that the Shogun would be compared to the infamous Emerald Dragon by EA - a riotous visual horror, imo, tricked up to unplayability and stuffed full with clichés completely taken out of context: A horrible Disneyland of Japonica, devoid of any soul - I don't want any golf course of mine to come across as a gaudy Chinese restaurant.

I have named my main source of inspiration further above: Hokusai. The Shogun will be an artificial and surreal, idealised space, with the ambition of players being transported into a Hokusai Print, in which man-made structures and natural shapes enter into a minimalistic dialogue. Google "Hokusai Prints", then switch it to Images to see what I mean.

the-huge-wave-katsushika-font-b-hokusai-

I'm not at all sure I can pull this off, btw. But it's the kind of challenge that is worth taking on, no matter if it results in failure or success. I'd rather do this than waste my time with any old dumb non-descript parkland or links golf course that looks like the soulless clone of so many others of its kind. Not as if the majority of computer golfers would know the difference.

Oh dear, now they are going to call me an elitist or an eclectic...

• NoPutt likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#38 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

The designer doesn't like suggestions's about his designs, or at least that's what he told DoGgz, lol.
  • Armand likes this

#39 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

Bonsai, bonsai, bonsai!

#40 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

I think K11 would rather that course forge be ripped from the hands of the great unwashed and set aside for a select few or even one only.  I can see him as The Kurgan in highlander decapitating anyone who dare draw one spline, whilst declaring "There can be only one"  Or maybe a master painter who's students are selling their water colours before attaining greatness, this annoys the master greatly, so much so that at night he prowls the streets of victorian London murdering prostitutes...Walter Sickert anyone?  Would these personas be elitist? who knows, more importantly...who cares!  carry on.

• yesrushdt likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users