230 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Our swing meter will be designed with 1 click 2 click three click and 4 click in mind based on the difficulty selected by the user

Here is a general concept.  This is by no means a final version of the swing meter but we are interest in conceptual feedback

This is the starting position.  Once clicked the ball will begin to rotate to the left and up towards the top

swing1.png

The player will then click at the top.  The goal is to get the ball in the middle of the circle.  This represents full power.  The player can go over towards max but will induce larger penalties an the bottom and side of the swing

swing2.png

Next the ball will descend back down.  Again the purpose is to click when the ball is inside the middle of the circle.  

swing3.png

In the above image the player has clicked a little early and so the spin axis of the ball will not be vertical but instead will be aligned in the direction of the grey bar.  This effectively will move the ball to the right based on the spin rate.    Above the circle you will see 4 bars.  Inside the 2 innermost bars the only impact will be spin axis.  Once you get into the outer bars then the aim point shifts too.  So if you miss much earlier than this not only will the ball slice it will become a push slice.

After this click the ball will continue to move around the circle towards the final aiming circle.

swing4.png

Here the player has missed late meaning that the point of impact was late and therefore thin.  If it was early it would be fat.  A fat shot basically will reduce the power of the shot and increase the launch angle.  A thin shot will reduce the launch angle with little impact on power

Please feel free to provide feeddback

• Dazmaniac, Unique, Tresclub and 2 others like this

#2 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

This looks very interesting AJ.  This adds more swing dynamics for us "clickers"  The draw/fade I see will be the opposite of Links, which might take a little getting used to.  The addition of the fat/thin mark is also interesting. 

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#3 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

I like it - I don't think it will be a huge learning curve since it's basically the same as before, hit 12/6. Just adjusting to the extra click at 9 o'clock for fat/thin will be new. Going to take a bit to get used to that extra click, but I believe it will be like learning to play 2 or 3 click for the first time. Just need to get your timing and train your hand/eye/mind coordination.

I'd really like to see what's in store for a mouse swing (RTS/PS) or whatever it will be called.

Thanks Andrew

#4 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Andrew, I like the general idea but the opposite effect of the draw/slice feels a bit weird? Like in real golf, I usually pull my shots if I'm to quick on the downswing and push/slice if my swing is a bit lazy/late. I suppose one could get use to it.

The stop/start effect of snapping and snap again might also be odd and not fluent like a real swing but i like the idea, will think about this a bit. ^_^

I also like the fact that there are no digits so the strength of a shot is more based on feel. As long as there are a lot of increments between 6 and 12.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#5 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hard to comment without trying it . Still would like to know is the game going to be free to play. or is it a membership type where you have to pay a yearly due.

#6 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

I doubt that I'll use the click method, but if I do, will there be a click-hold then release option (I use this in powerstroke on Links) between the impact and fat/thin points. I would find this much more natural than having to do two quick clicks at bottom and then right. Of course, this much depends on what speed that meter moves at!

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#7 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Andrew: It's brilliant! I wouldn't have dreamed that you could build so much additional complexity into clicking. Can't wait, I'm all in for four click.

Also, nice job from a visual standpoint as well. It' a really beautiful looking meter.

One change I'm hoping to see regarding trying to max out your drive is that the reward is worth going for. It always seemed to me that with Links there was quite a bit of risk, but very little reward for going into the danger zone. After a while I simply stopped trying. For those with superior hand eye coordination it has always seemed to me that the reward of timing a max swing should be rewarded by as much as 30 yards as opposed to the small increase that you saw with Links.

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#8 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

Perhaps you could mirror the swing meter so that it goes past 3 o'clock instead of 9 to fit the swing path for a right handed player. That way a late snap will result in a slice. :)

• Davefevs likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#9 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for posting this Andrew; in another forum I've been discussing the 4 click method a little bit and wondering how this would work and what it would look like. The swing meter currently in development looks very nice visually and makes it easy to see what you must do. Using it in action will be interesting; the speed of the meter will of course determine whether this concept will be very "doable" or too difficult.

I believe you've stated there will be different levels of difficulty as in Links; I'm glad - I don't have the reflexes of a kid anymore and want/need to be able to enjoy the game!

Looking forward to trying this out; and if possible, perhaps a video of the meter in action at some point would be great to actually see it in use.

Ken

#10 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

looks like it will take a few to get used to,but functional 

i use both 3c and ts will we be able to toggle between the two while playing?

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#11 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

• I very much like the idea of the 6 o'clock snap being a round space that you have to hit with the small ball. Very "golfy".

• I like the fact that we will be able to choose from 1 to 4 clicks - especially testing our own courses with in 1 Click mode will be very helpful

• I like the idea of having club selection in the center of the swing meter. Keeps things central (how does one set the spin of the ball?)

• The only thing I find a bit strange is the strong, white highlight on the left edge of the meter, 6 to 11 o'clock. Bit of a glare? Does this react to the environment or is it a fix design? (Thinking about cloudy and nighttime golf...)

Overall it looks very nice and my index finger started twitching like crazy when I first saw it. And then it shouted "Feed me!" up at me.

• HeavySwinger likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#12 bharris1117

bharris1117

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWarren, Ohio

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Looks like u have the 3-4 click down to a fine science but was wondering if a true swing mode will be available also and how that will work?

sigfnl.jpg

#13 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

• I very much like the idea of the 6 o'clock snap being a round space that you have to hit with the small ball. Very "golfy".

• I like the fact that we will be able to choose from 1 to 4 clicks - especially testing our own courses with in 1 Click mode will be very helpful

• I like the idea of having club selection in the center of the swing meter. Keeps things central (how does one set the spin of the ball?)

• The only thing I find a bit strange is the strong, white highlight on the left edge of the meter, 6 to 11 o'clock. Bit of a glare? Does this react to the environment or is it a fix design? (Thinking about cloudy and nighttime golf...)

Overall it looks very nice and my index finger started twitching like crazy when I first saw it. And then it shouted "Feed me!" up at me.

The white highlight - just guessing here but I imagine it turns orange or red or whatever colour as the ball (swing) moves up the gauge, like in Links & TW, so you won't be seeing the white except prior to starting the swing.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Hard to comment without trying it . Still would like to know is the game going to be free to play. or is it a membership type where you have to pay a yearly due.

We are still thinking about the model.  In all likelihood it will be an annual fee which not only will give you access to play the game but also access to download and use all the user created courses that community make available but also access to the tours and the such.

• ☠InDaSkies☠, ELTELWIL and CSR like this

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Andrew, I like the general idea but the opposite effect of the draw/slice feels a bit weird? Like in real golf, I usually pull my shots if I'm to quick on the downswing and push/slice if my swing is a bit lazy/late. I suppose one could get use to it.

The stop/start effect of snapping and snap again might also be odd and not fluent like a real swing but i like the idea, will think about this a bit. ^_^

I also like the fact that there are no digits so the strength of a shot is more based on feel. As long as there are a lot of increments between 6 and 12.

If you think about a club coming in open closing through impact then if you hit the ball early the face is open and late it is closed, but I understand this is opposite to most swing meters, it just seems to me that all the other ones are wrong... :) 

• Davefevs likes this

#16 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

If you think about a club coming in open closing through impact then if you hit the ball early the face is open and late it is closed, but I understand this is opposite to most swing meters, it just seems to me that all the other ones are wrong... :)

Agree - make as realistic as possible :)

#17 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

LOL, oh well, looks awesome to me. It will be interesting to find the right percentage of a shot if there are no markers at all. But as every1 has the same "problem", I like it. I agree to those which wonder how the speed of the swing will be. After trying Links 2003 again after 1,5 years, I didn't hit 1 single snap on 12 holes. I just gave it up after that, way too frustrating :D

But as long as you have a complete set of choices it is ok with me :)

Who cares...

#18 Maineah

Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Very exciting... good work!

#19 nvinceable1

nvinceable1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

This looks great. Any chance of some videos of it in action?

#20 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Andrew,

Liking the concept. Like the meter if I'm honest but happy if it gets tweaked further prior to final version.

Couple of Q's?

1. I see the swing-meter you have demonstrated as being for a right handed player, as if you are looking directly at t right handed player making a swing. Have you considered mirroring the swing-meter for those who are left handed? I always found it strange that with some golf games the same round swing-meter was used for both types of player.

2. You said... Our swing meter will be designed with 1 click 2 click three click and 4 click in mind based on the difficulty selected by the user. For sake of argument, if the game comes with Amateur, Pro, Champ and Elite as the 4 levels, would someone be able to play at Pro but using the 4-click meter?

Looking forward to more updates on this topic.

:D

• Davefevs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users