#21 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

Will have a bit more of proper think later, but my first question is that if we're using trackman do help determine ball flight, will we see hooks and draws going further than fades and slices? If so, then you might be able to work a little extra length by trying to missing the ball deliberately late?

Would add some realms to our shot making, e.g. Pin cut behind a bunker on right side of green, might be better trying to hit a soft fade....etc

I think playability will depend on speed of swing meter! None of us are as young as when Links2003 came out!!
  • fungolfer likes this

#22 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

We are still thinking about the model.  In all likelihood it will be an annual fee which not only will give you access to play the game but also access to download and use all the user created courses that community make available but also access to the tours and the such.

Thanks Andrew for the reply. Do you have an idea how much it will be? Will you still have to pay for balls, and equipment ? 

#23 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

Design looks very sleek..I like it.  Going to be different from Links, that's for sure.  Definitely will take some getting used to, but anything that adds realism has to be a good thing.  Can't wait to see a vid of it in action.  I am assuming the different difficulty settings adjust the speed of the meter? 

#24 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Looks great!  As mentioned earlier, I think there should be a much bigger distance gain for going over the 100% mark to make it worth the risk. 

#25 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Thanks Andrew for the reply. Do you have an idea how much it will be? Will you still have to pay for balls, and equipment ? 

Give the guys chance, lol. We haven't even seen the game in motion yet and you're asking about a pricing structure.

If you re-read AJ's reply he said..... We are still thinking about the model.

That to me says they have nothing concrete in place as yet. Give them time, I'm sure they will announce more info when it is available as to how they plan to price the game and any add-ons.

;)

#26 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

We are still thinking about the model.  In all likelihood it will be an annual fee which not only will give you access to play the game but also access to download and use all the user created courses that community make available but also access to the tours and the such.

If I understand you correctly are you suggesting that even if I choose to play solo offline only I would still be required to pay an annual fee? Or would an annual fee be required only if one is interested in online and tournament play?

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#27 ☠InDaSkies☠

☠InDaSkies☠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationCedar Lake Indiana

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:47 AM

I think the swing meter looks very cool. But for me I like the swing meter in TW 12 but that's not to say I wouldn't be open to try something new. I would probably stick to the 3-click as that is what I personally like. Also it will be strange if I hit early missing my mark to the left and the ball goes right that will take a lot to get used to. But I see what your saying about the face of the club being open. So that being said I'm on the fence. I would be happy with a 3-click meter and a golf game with good graphics and to be able to set a resolution of 2560x1600. It looks like you guy's are on the right track. 

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.
Silverstone ST1500 1500W ATX
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Editon
4x Kingston Digital HyperX Fury 240GB SSD Sata III HD's In Raid 0
1 TB HD for storage
Asus Rog Maximus VIII Extreme/Assembly Motherboard
4x16GB Corsair Dominator Series Memory
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.700.0 MHz Overlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151
Zalman Reserator XT External Water Cooling System GPU & CPU
1x LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray Burner
1x LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Player
HP ZR 30" Monitor 2560x1600 Resolution

#28 PurpleTurf

PurpleTurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove, MN

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

Multi click options sounds great.  One thing would be a definate must though is competition levels, so you can regulate who and what kind of clickers you are playing with to make sure its fair, or unfair if you are trying to play up a level.

#29 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

Everyone needs to consider the older folks who will be playing this game. Three Clicking is what most virtual golfers got use to from 1994 to 1999.  Having a super fast meter speed would prevent people with slower reaction time to play more advanced games - just not fair to the masses that will be supporting PG.  I think it all boils down to tough courses and tough conditions using a similar TW12 3-click-swing-meter.

A super fast 3-click-meter would be the equivalent of trying to catch a humming bird bare-handed. 

AND...if there is going to be a similar RTS/TS/PS swing mode then it needs to be designed so there cannot be any mechanical advantages done to a mouse or use of other objects with a mouse. (Is that even possible?)

Also. A 3-click meter should always be able to match the distance of someone using a mouse-movement swing mode. This of course means exact conditions being used to test the swing types.

IMHO a mouse-movement-swing e.g. RTS/TS/PS should be eliminated from the game "IF" there is no way to prevent the end user from jury-rigging their mouse in one form or another.

• ☠InDaSkies☠ and ELTELWIL like this

#30 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

@leeray - can you define old folks? At 42 my reactions are not what they used to be....he he!

Seriously, I think swing difficulty should be based on two things, 1) ease of hitting the snap points and 2) the reaction to missing it increasing in line with the difficulty level chosen.

PP could achieve no1 in multiple ways, 1) speeding up the swing meter, 2) making the snap point (or ball circle) smaller, etc.

I think we need to keep giving our feedback and let them work it out!!

As I posted above i really hope that we get a concept of a mishit draw, going further than a mishit fade...that would give it the realism to make this game exceptional....IMHO!

#31 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Couple of thoughts based on comments here.  

On the pricing structure - we have no information yet other than already posted.  However, to SineWiz comment, if we give the game away as a free download and do not charge for offline play do you think the game would survive?  If we charge for the game so offline players pay for the product but then charge an online annual fee will that work?  There are so many ways to do this, and very few are correct.  so we will be thinking long and hard about this.

On difficulty levels and 4 click 3 click we have made no decisions on exactly how it will work but we believe that choice is the thing that makes a game enjoyable by the masses.  So there is unlikely to be simple levels like amateur, pro champ etc but more like what you get in games like F1 where there are lots of options you can set up. eg. I want to play with 4 click, no wind meter (replaced by grass tossing) no grids, no top view aiming and so on.  This way people can customize their own difficulty.  People running tours will be able to set up the settings that can and cannot be used during the event.  

One thing I doubt we will do is allow varying speeds of swing meter.  This opens up all sorts of potential problems.  However, having said that it should be fast enough that hitting a perfect shot is not easy (it is not easy IRL) but the penalties for a missed snap should never be too severe if you only just miss.  One of my frustrations with golf games in the past is at difficult levels if you miss the snap just a little the penalty is too large and not reflective of what happens IRL if your swing is only slightly off.  We want people to be able to play it like golf.  That means you should not play by aiming down the middle and trying to hit a straight shot.  If your tendancy is to draw (or snap late) then you should be able to manage that around the golf course at all levels.  Difficulty comes in by removing aids not in making the swing meter more penal.  So take out your aiming aids, alignment aids, wind aids, distance aids, 4 click etc.

On the RTS TS swing and edging, this is why much of our swing is going to be tempo and timing based hopefully.  You can turn off your horizontal mouse movement and still hit an absolutely horrible shot.

We hope to have a ball hitting demo video shortly. :)

• Unique, Kablammo11, Acrilix and 2 others like this

#32 Maineah

Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

On difficulty levels and 4 click 3 click we have made no decisions on exactly how it will work but we believe that choice is the thing that makes a game enjoyable by the masses.  So there is unlikely to be simple levels like amateur, pro champ etc but more like what you get in games like F1 where there are lots of options you can set up. eg. I want to play with 4 click, no wind meter (replaced by grass tossing) no grids, no top view aiming and so on.  This way people can customize their own difficulty.  People running tours will be able to set up the settings that can and cannot be used during the event.  

One thing I doubt we will do is allow varying speeds of swing meter.  This opens up all sorts of potential problems.  However, having said that it should be fast enough that hitting a perfect shot is not easy (it is not easy IRL) but the penalties for a missed snap should never be too severe if you only just miss.  One of my frustrations with golf games in the past is at difficult levels if you miss the snap just a little the penalty is too large and not reflective of what happens IRL if your swing is only slightly off.  We want people to be able to play it like golf.  That means you should not play by aiming down the middle and trying to hit a straight shot.  If your tendancy is to draw (or snap late) then you should be able to manage that around the golf course at all levels.  Difficulty comes in by removing aids not in making the swing meter more penal.  So take out your aiming aids, alignment aids, wind aids, distance aids, 4 click etc.

On the RTS TS swing and edging, this is why much of our swing is going to be tempo and timing based hopefully.  You can turn off your horizontal mouse movement and still hit an absolutely horrible shot.

Grass tossing??  LOVE IT!!

I especially like the small penalty for a small miss and playing the course with your "tendencies" in mind......  options options options.... you guys are on a roll---

keep it coming!

Maineah

#33 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

I think this game is in safe hands!

#34 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

Difficulty comes in by removing aids not in making the swing meter more penal.   :)

...and by selecting pin positions, tees and tougher terrain conditions. It's uncanny how much I have to agree with game-related stuff around here... 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#35 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

On the pricing structure - we have no information yet other than already posted.  However, to SineWiz comment, if we give the game away as a free download and do not charge for offline play do you think the game would survive?  If we charge for the game so offline players pay for the product but then charge an online annual fee will that work?  There are so many ways to do this, and very few are correct.  so we will be thinking long and hard about this.

In reply to this Andrew, yes I do believe the game would survive if it were to be a free down load. #1 you would earn money on clubs, people are always wanting to better their equipment. #2 balls just as in real life balls don't last , they get hit OB and they just lose their umff so you are always buying more. To prove my point just take a look at WGT and the amount of members it has, also the money it generates. On another note let the game play true to what information you give the player. If you tell the player the ball is 135 yards away from the hole with a 15 mph wind in their face , then let that be the truth . Don't tell them that information and the hole is 125 yards away and the wind is really 8 mph. Don't show breaks in the greens if in reality there are no breaks. We are not on a real course ,we can't feel the wind all we have is the information you give us to determine the shot . Hitting the ding ( so to speak ) will be a challenge in itself

#36 woodworkery

woodworkery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Just to give you an example, at WGT three of their best balls to buy cost you $5.50. All i am doing is giving you info on what an other game comparable to yours is doing, Who knows you may be a member at WGT

#37 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Happy to buy the game. Happy to buy an online subscription. Don't want to pay for balls and clubs etc that give me an advantage over someone who hasn't. If people want to pay extra fir branded gear then fine as long as it doesn't give them an unfair advantage.

In real life I still hit some 20+ year old prosimmon blades. And I bought those second hand, so god knows how old they really are!

I don't personally like the WGT business model, I want a game I can play like a pro with without having to buy gear. Practice will make me better, like real life, a snazzy pair of golf shoes won't!!
  • Kablammo11, Keith and SJude like this

#38 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

Can't really comment on this as I have never been a fan of the click method of play. I am assuming the mouse swing meter if there is one will be similar?

Posted Image

#39 Maineah

Maineah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMaine, U.S.A.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

**removed post**

want to reword later

Maineah

• Kablammo11 likes this

#40 Harald

Harald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNuremberg, Germany

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Happy to buy the game. Happy to buy an online subscription. Don't want to pay for balls and clubs etc that give me an advantage over someone who hasn't. If people want to pay extra fir branded gear then fine as long as it doesn't give them an unfair advantage.

In real life I still hit some 20+ year old prosimmon blades. And I bought those second hand, so god knows how old they really are!

I don't personally like the WGT business model, I want a game I can play like a pro with without having to buy gear. Practice will make me better, like real life, a snazzy pair of golf shoes won't!!

I'm also totaly agree that! The most important thing for me is to have a Longtime playable Game with predictable costs

• Davefevs, Keith and SJude like this
I7-6700k, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream 8GB,16 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200, Enermax Revolution87+ 850 W ATX 2.4, SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Eizo Color Graphic CS270 - 27", Win 10 Pro (64bit)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users