#41 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

Cheating concerns aside…

If you're looking for the most authentic and realistically challenging way to play IMO, get yourself an official Microsoft Xbox one controller

I am actually a PlayStation guy myself but both of my PS4 controllers trigger the cheat warning, wired and wireless, so I gave up on that concept

#42 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

The most immersive and realistic way to play this game has to be rtm. Outside of the sim of course. It has the most difficulty in the execution of  making the shot. I would go as far as to call it Ground breaking. It is too bad that most people will not even try it. I know I am in the minority but the controller just doesn't do it for me. It seems people will just gravitate to what allows them to shoot the lowest score..

Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#43 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:36 PM

@slice:

Sorry I should've specified I am of course only talking about controller method of input.
Since that's the only way I play anymore I can almost forget there are other methods sometimes.

Controller is absolutely critical to the future of this game if they have console aspirations so I think it's pretty relevant what they do there (or don't)

#44 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

AAA studios invest millions in anti cheat software for their games and cheating is still rampant - please see my earlier post in the thread regarding online multiplayer environments....

It is a never-ending chase trying to get ahead of the cheaters and hackers.....a chase no one has yet won......

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#45 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

I know I am in the minority but the controller just doesn't do it for me. It seems people will just gravitate to what allows them to shoot the lowest score..

I use a controller for the convenience, not because it is easier to score low.

Sitting in a recliner, playing on a tv, a mouse requires a mouse mat and some form of hard surface to rest it on, whereas a controller is just pick up and go. It is also far better to pass around if playing local multiplayer.

• DivotMaker and Greensboronclion like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#46 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

The most immersive and realistic way to play this game has to be rtm. Outside of the sim of course. It has the most difficulty in the execution of  making the shot. I would go as far as to call it Ground breaking. It is too bad that most people will not even try it. I know I am in the minority but the controller just doesn't do it for me. It seems people will just gravitate to what allows them to shoot the lowest score..

Likely, but then again many likely choose an interface that feels good to them that challenges them in a way that is more to their level of skill. 

It does not necessarily mean that one method is superior to any other because then you are moving into opinions and beliefs which are subjective and not objective in nature.

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#47 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

RTSM really is an extremely immersive and challenging way to play the game.  It's odd that I'm such a huge fan of it but still the controller wins out.  It's mostly about convenience I suppose.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#48 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationWestcliff-on-Sea, Essex. U.K

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

AAA studios invest millions in anti cheat software for their games and cheating is still rampant - please see my earlier post in the thread regarding online multiplayer environments....

I'm well aware of anti cheat systems and their inability to remove cheating from a game which just endorses my point.

Why spend time and money on something that doesn't work and that will never work.

There will always be those who will find ways around any type of anti-whatever device whether it's a combination lock, an anti virus system or an anti cheat system.

If people don't want to play fairly then no one is going to stop them whatever you do.

I prefer to trust people to do what's right but as always this is  the ultimate merry-go-round topic that never goes away. 

#49 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:10 PM

I'm well aware of anti cheat systems and their inability to remove cheating from a game which just endorses my point.

Why spend time and money on something that doesn't work and that will never work.

There will always be those who will find ways around any type of anti-whatever device whether it's a combination lock, an anti virus system or an anti cheat system.

If people don't want to play fairly then no one is going to stop them whatever you do.

I prefer to trust people to do what's right but as always this is  the ultimate merry-go-round topic that never goes away. 

Your argument is a weak one.

By the same reckoning, drug testing in athletics and other sports should be scrapped and police forces around the world disbanded because they will never have a 100% success record.

• Mike Jones and Tigers Agent like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#50 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationWestcliff-on-Sea, Essex. U.K

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

Your argument is a weak one.

By the same reckoning, drug testing in athletics and other sports should be scrapped and police forces around the world disbanded because they will never have a 100% success record.

Not at all, drug testing and the police get results and catch those who break the rules however the alert system employed in this game gets to my knowledge 0% in results not unless you can tell me otherwise.

#51 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

Not a lot you can do with a 3C swing, either you click on time or you don't!! ;) 

Oh, and like other swing methods, you have to aim well and judge power, that exists for all swing methods.

Each to their own, good that all can play on the same leaderboards using different methods imho. Each one has some benefits and some detriments, but over all, it's not bad.

• Greensboronclion and Vernon520 like this

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#52 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:55 PM

The most immersive and realistic way to play this game has to be rtm. Outside of the sim of course. It has the most difficulty in the execution of  making the shot. I would go as far as to call it Ground breaking. 

As someone who has used all of the swing types in the course of beta testing the game this is why I settled on RTSM as my preferred swing method.  It is, without doubt, ground breaking in the field of golf games and most closely mirrors the fundamentals of a real golf swing within a game environment.  Swing path, open/closed club face, heel/toe hits and tempo all combine to affect the ball flight just as they do irl.  One's ability to "work" the ball within the game is second to none.  I only use the shot shaper to adjust loft - any "english" I want to put on the ball to get around objects/doglegs or combat wind comes from my swing.  Initially I used 3C and MS as those were the only swing types in the earlier versions of the game.  However, once the real time swing was added I really never looked back.  I used an XBox controller when the controller swing was introduced, and did enjoy the convenience it gave, but it lacked the subtle nuance that the rts mouse control allowed. 

As a beta tester I have been playing the game for about a year and a half longer than those that came on board at early access.  In all that time I have never been bored playing a round in JNPG and 99% of my daily play has been solo.  Each shot requires a thought process to determine what type of shot you need to hit,  each shot requires the mental and physical preparation for the the execution of the shot and each shot result is unique, determined by the variables within the physical swing you make.  That sounds like golf to me.  I play JNPG as a game of golf, not as a golf game.  In that respect JNPG is king and it is the Real Time Swing that is the jewel in the crown.

• frank70 likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#53 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:23 AM

...why I settled on RTSM..

Each shot requires a thought process to determine what type of shot you need to hit,  each shot requires the mental and physical preparation for the the execution of the shot and each shot result is unique, determined by the variables within the physical swing you make.  That sounds like golf to me.  I play JNPG as a game of golf, not as a golf game.  In that respect JNPG is king and it is the Real Time Swing that is the jewel in the crown.

I'm just glad we have many swing options, as the user base for a game that required this and only this as the input method (see in bold above) would unfortunately be dead on arrival.

• Greensboronclion likes this

#54 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

As someone who has used all of the swing types in the course of beta testing the game this is why I settled on RTSM as my preferred swing method.  It is, without doubt, ground breaking in the field of golf games and most closely mirrors the fundamentals of a real golf swing within a game environment.  Swing path, open/closed club face, heel/toe hits and tempo all combine to affect the ball flight just as they do irl. 

Agreed. Only thing missing for me is acceleration through the ball. This was part of Links RTS but is absent here. Granted, the tempo aspect is great, but I still find myself wanting to accelerate during the downswing - good IRL, bad in JNPG.

• MERACE likes this

#55 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

I have played them all and they all have their pluses and minuses and really like that we have so many options.  For the past week I have been practicing with my Xbox360 Controller at TP and I can tell you I am horrible at some parts of it but believe I can keep it at near par and for that I will start playing this weeks OGT event with it.  The reason is that I can sit back in my recliner and play and feel really comfortable playing and at this point that is my goal.  I can go pretty low with both 3C and MS but I have to sit up next to my PC or rig some type of way to play from a recliner and I can do that but again not as comfortable.  The great thing about sitting back is that I can play on a big screen and currently using a 50 inch and it just feels more relaxed.  On a console this is the only way to play and if you can play that way on your PC and enjoy it why not. My struggle with RTSC has always been putting and with a lot of tips from people on this forum I have gotten better and am more confident in that right now.  Lastly playing with a mouse has always been my preferred method but at this point arthritis in the shoulder has made that not as much fun and much better with the controller.  My new motto is I might suck and shoot big numbers but I will be sitting comfortably while playing.

• MERACE and mebby like this

#56 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

I have played them all and they all have their pluses and minuses and really like that we have so many options.  For the past week I have been practicing with my Xbox360 Controller at TP and I can tell you I am horrible at some parts of it but believe I can keep it at near par and for that I will start playing this weeks OGT event with it.  The reason is that I can sit back in my recliner and play and feel really comfortable playing and at this point that is my goal.  I can go pretty low with both 3C and MS but I have to sit up next to my PC or rig some type of way to play from a recliner and I can do that but again not as comfortable.  The great thing about sitting back is that I can play on a big screen and currently using a 50 inch and it just feels more relaxed.  On a console this is the only way to play and if you can play that way on your PC and enjoy it why not. My struggle with RTSC has always been putting and with a lot of tips from people on this forum I have gotten better and am more confident in that right now.  Lastly playing with a mouse has always been my preferred method but at this point arthritis in the shoulder has made that not as much fun and much better with the controller.  My new motto is I might suck and shoot big numbers but I will be sitting comfortably while playing.

Yep!  Even though I think that MS and RTSM are the most immersive and fun swings, I still enjoy playing with a controller better due to everything that you just said.  This is a game and I play it to relax.

• DivotMaker and Greensboronclion like this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#57 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

Yes Mebby I agree and I just shot Even par 72 at 1st round of OGT Royal Birkdale and it is just so easy to sit in the chair and no stress it seems that way.  Could I go lower playing the other ways sure but again this is just a game and the idea is to have fun and relax and that is what it shall be.  I would like that 3 putt back from the last hole tho and it cost me an under par round but hey that golf.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users