Photo

How important is good AI for the success of PG2?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

Live real time multiplayer is most important to me.

#22 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

How important is a good AI to the success of JNPG?  IMHO not very important.   You like JNPG or you do not. 

Now if AI is considered career mode.  The importance is higher on the importance list.  But not by very much.   I say this from a multi-players view.  Anyway without any recent or updated numbers on players who desire a career mode, are we not trying to beat a dead horse.   Do not get me wrong, I'm all for new and more inclusive features and options.  As I said, I just have (a selfish) (multi-player) priority list with AI being of less importance than DX-11/12, 3D grass,  better course selection interface, improved course settings along with improved modes of play.  Multi-player connectivity is important also.  All those features come before AI.  

• GoldenBear likes this

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#23 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:57 PM

How important is a good AI to the success of JNPG?  IMHO not very important.   You like JNPG or you do not. 

Now if AI is considered career mode.  The importance is higher on the importance list.  But not by very much.   I say this from a multi-players view.  Anyway without any recent or updated numbers on players who desire a career mode, are we not trying to beat a dead horse.   Do not get me wrong, I'm all for new and more inclusive features and options.  As I said, I just have (a selfish) (multi-player) priority list with AI being of less importance than DX-11/12, 3D grass,  better course selection interface, improved course settings along with improved modes of play.  Multi-player connectivity is important also.  All those features come before AI.  

Like most people here you seem to be answering the question on a personal level. What is important to the individuals left on this forum has very little to do with what will actually make PG2 a successful release for PP, especially with the forthcoming console version.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#24 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

I think it's important for everybody to think about why the game was not more successful this first time around.

That is the question that needs to be addressed for a new version.

We are all already here and we're customers…
We are not who they need to cater to necessarily or at least not primarily.

#25 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:05 PM

I think it's important for everybody to think about why the game was not more successful this first time around.

DX9 and not being available on consoles are two big reasons why it wasn't as successful as TGC.  PG2 will correct the first and hopefully the 2nd as well at some point.  Now as for simulator users, 3D grass/lighting will just be icing on the cake.

#26 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

@zmax:

You don't think there are any gameplay and mode of play deficiencies as well though?
I really don't think you could add just 3D grass and lighting and put it on consoles and have it be successful as it is.

I mean for some of us here it might be fine, but they clearly need to have higher ambitions than satisfying this crowd.

#27 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:16 PM

@zmax:

You don't think there are any gameplay and mode of play deficiencies as well though?
I really don't think you could add just 3D grass and lighting and put it on consoles and have it be successful as it is.

I mean for some of us here it might be fine, but they clearly need to have higher ambitions than satisfying this crowd.

Of course there are other deficiencies.  Was just stating the two big ones.    The comment about 3D grass was just from pc simulator users perspective.  not about consoles

#28 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

Are we sure they're even still targeting doing a console release?
The much more simulation targeted aspect of this game certainly feels more like a PC experience to me.

That and the extreme restrictions on consoles sure seem like strong deterrents to this type of game

#29 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

Of course there are other deficiencies.  Was just stating the two big ones.    The comment about 3D grass was just from pc simulator users perspective.  not about consoles

I think the success of PG2 in simulator terms is almost a given as they seem to be the happiest with the game as it is anyway.

#30 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

I think the success of PG2 in simulator terms is almost a given as they seem to be the happiest with the game as it is anyway.

Exactly.   For sim users, PG1 is a huge success.  Even without 3D grass, the game looks more realistic on a 10ft wide impact screen compared TGC on that same screen.  The ability to for designers to use LIDAR in CF is a tremendous factor.  Sim guys want courses to be super accurate.  Having said that, we want PG2 with 3D grass and everything else as much everybody here.  :)

#31 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

The biggest 'hole' in JNPG at present is something to keep the casual player coming back for more. There is no progression of any kind in JNPG, and I think that a career mode is the most obvious way to improve the game. I also think that the inclusion of AI players within a career mode is the only way to create a really immersive career mode in single player.

I see no hope for PG2 on consoles with the AI in its current state.... no course creation option, and the limitations of swing options due to console hardware.... leading to a very bland experience if career mode is not very impressive.

#32 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

TW (07?) has a career mode I used to really enjoy. The AI parameters were such that you could convert PGA Tour player's stats into the AI (and share such stats for those who didn't want to do the legwork). You could set up your own tour, specifying the courses for each event, field size, purse, cuts, etc. When you entered such a tour, and elected to play an event, you could play with tour pros in your group. The remainder of the field's rounds were simulated as you played. Initially you'd such be trying to "make it to the weekend", and if you made the cut you would make as much money as your final position merited. It would keep track of all the play stats (GIR, driving distance, etc.) and your (and the AI players) money winnings. It was immersive enough that I didn't go into a tour event unless I was up to it (otherwise I'd play a casual round with a pro or two).

There is much to be done before such a feature can even be started. As has been said, the AI parameters are insufficient, the AI logic is faulty, and, yes, the AI needs to be able to work the ball (how well would be set in the parameters...this was not available in TW).

I understand that many have a preference for online play, and others like to use recorded rounds. This is my vote, and I think such features would attract more like me! (if they want to do that :unsure: )

#33 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:58 PM

Just thinking of a few things.....

Career Mode

Female Player Animations

Left Handed Player Animation

#34 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

Sounds like great fun. I'm sure casual players who buy PG2 can't wait to try this!!  :blink:   :lol:

This type of reply shows exactly why the opinion of most people left on this forum is of little value in the development of a successful PG2, IMO.

Don't care what you think.  Don't care about AI in PG2.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#35 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

Don't care what you think.

Now, there's something we can agree on!!  :lol:

#36 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:45 PM

Now, there's something we can agree on!!  :lol:

Absolutely!  :lol: :lol:

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#37 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:13 AM

We have quite the interesting dynamic here on the forum..

A whole bunch of us don't give a single flying F what the others think, yet we all keep participating here for some reason.

We are a weird group
LOL
  • wim1234 likes this

#38 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:34 AM

Like most people here you seem to be answering the question on a personal level. What is important to the individuals left on this forum has very little to do with what will actually make PG2 a successful release for PP, especially with the forthcoming console version.

The only way the humans CAN answer questions is on a personal level.  That's the very nature of a forum - to provide personal opinions.

The issue here is that the personal opinions contained in this particular forum don't seem to jive with your own opinions.

I respect your thoughts and opinions Acrilix and I appreciate you... not trying to be combative, just stating my thoughts. 

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#39 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:41 AM

We have quite the interesting dynamic here on the forum..

A whole bunch of us don't give a single flying F what the others think, yet we all keep participating here for some reason.

We are a weird group
LOL

Buck, my friend (and I trust we are friends even though we disagree a lot), when the light goes on it's a great thing!!

2vwg0g1.jpg

Richard

Posted Image

#40 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:45 AM

The only way the humans CAN answer questions is on a personal level.  That's the very nature of a forum - to provide personal opinions.

The issue here is that the personal opinions contained in this particular forum don't seem to jive with your own opinions.

I respect your thoughts and opinions Acrilix and I appreciate you... not trying to be combative, just stating my thoughts. 

Mebby, I agree with you. But one observation. Nothing in this topic means a hill of beans to the developers. They've already mapped out their PG2 objectives and no one here will, in all likelihood change them at this point. Oh, they may pick up some ideas for PG3, but I venture to guess that PG2 is pretty much casted in concrete. There will be some tweaks during beta testing, but that's about it, IMHO.

• GoldenBear likes this
Richard

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users