#1241 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:39 PM

A few suggestion for you Affo, if you don't mind.  

Not at all

1.) Set your golfer's club type to "Pro"  (from Beginner) at the very start.  Beginner clubs are almost purely on rails.

Yep, did that. Went through tutorials, changed clubs to Pro and joined TGC Pro Tours

2.) Remember that draws/hooks and fades/slices are caused purely by the backswing to downswing speed ratio.  Strive for a "Perfect/Perfect" tempo to hit the ball straight.  To achieve this perfect/perfect tempo for me means feeling like I'm trying to make my downswing speed feel like my backswing speed, although in practice it's probably just a wee bit faster.  It's far easier for most TGC 2019 players to get a perfect/fast tempo (which produces a pretty hefty draw at the very least) than a perfect/slow tempo.

Yeah, I get the gist, tricky trying to replicate it, though hit over 50% of fairways and greens so not too bad...just the putting. That was tricky!!

3.) An inside/out swing path produces a push and an outside/in swing path produces a pull, proportional to the degree of path deviation.

Seems I tend to push a touch by default

4.) Make it a point to play Magnolia National (Tour)... it's the best rendition of Augusta National in the game.

Will do, but I like to play Comp rounds only, no real interest in playing for fun.

BTW, will you be playing it on the XBox One X?  I ask because TGC 2019 perhaps benefits more than any other game I tried from the enhancement it receives on the X.

No, a Day One edition Xbox One

My thoughts after one +12 round (+10 front 9 which were the first balls hit in anger and +2 on back 9 with 2 birdies) on what I think is not an easy course with fast greens whatever that means on the stimp?. Bearing in mind I have about 8 hours on PC version of TGC and 2 rounds on Xbone  version of TGC2....not keen on the dial a distance loft mechanics. Swing feels ok, the graphic replicated how I felt the stick movement was. Putting is one tricky thing, but I think I was getting the hang of it. 

Will definitely play a few more rounds to see if I can putt better, thinks it's the feel factor, we'll see.

• DPRoberts likes this

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#1242 KChavis

KChavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:13 PM

Affo, not sure if you have TGC19 for pc, but if so, I've come to really enjoy the mouse swing more than the controller.  You would need a better than average mouse but I would suggest giving it a shot...

#1243 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:44 PM

I'm currently playing alongside the PGA championship with both TGC and PG, should be interesting to see the final scores from both games compared to the real thing, here are my uploads so far if anyone wants a watch...Tough course on both games.

The first rounds are full rounds, the 2nd and 3rd will be highlights before i live stream the final round on both games...

TGC 2019 - PGA champs Round 1:  https://www.youtube....4K2tppBU&t=497s

PG - Round 1 - https://www.youtube....h?v=s4EFP-GOpv0

TGC 2019 - Round 2 highlights - https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1244 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:27 PM

I'm currently playing alongside the PGA championship with both TGC and PG, should be interesting to see the final scores from both games compared to the real thing, here are my uploads so far if anyone wants a watch...Tough course on both games.

The first rounds are full rounds, the 2nd and 3rd will be highlights before i live stream the final round on both games...

TGC 2019 - PGA champs Round 1:  https://www.youtube....4K2tppBU&t=497s

PG - Round 1 - https://www.youtube....h?v=s4EFP-GOpv0

TGC 2019 - Round 2 highlights - https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Cool idea... I'm watching!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1245 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:53 AM

So how's it going over there JC?

Big influx of noobs from the free promotion?

#1246 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:45 AM

So how's it going over there JC?

Big influx of noobs from the free promotion?

I've played five head to head matches now, via Online Matchmaking, and the longest it's taken me to get a match is 6 seconds, so the traffic is definitely up.  I've seen only four new members post in the XBox One section today so I don't know what to make of that.   There have now been over 20 new reviews added via XBox Live, although I've only been able to tabulate 9 of them.  The gamut for ingrained haters to surprised lovers is represented among those reaviews.

I don't really know how to gauge this... most of the people picking this up free today are going to be too lazy to post a review, and certainly too lazy to register and post thoughts on the forum.  The short match creation time is perhaps the most telling factor in how this game got downloaded today.  It's far beyond anything I've experienced in the last three months in Online Matchmaking!

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1247 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:25 PM

Played about 8 rounds now and down to 1.5 handicap...just around the greens and on them, grrrrr. I do like the TGC Tours set up though, got a long way to go from CC-Z flight, lol.

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#1248 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:32 PM

Played about 8 rounds now and down to 1.5 handicap...just around the greens and on them, grrrrr. I do like the TGC Tours set up though, got a long way to go from CC-Z flight, lol.

LOL...I've reached my peak in TGC  2019 and am on my way back down.  I started TGC Tours last year in CC-B, got relegated to CC-C, and now I'm just a couple of strikes away from demotion to CC-D :(  I think my handicap has gone from like a +17 to a +11 since November of last year... not that it really makes a hill of beans to me, but I guess it's the most tangible metric we have in the game.

You've done good to get to that point in 8 rounds, and you'll get better, once you get more familiar with the quirky physics.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1249 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:33 PM

...I've reached my peak in TGC 2019 and am on my way back down...

That sounds like a quote pulled from HB headquarters about 5 months ago.

haha

#1250 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

A user said this:
“I dont agree with the power slow fade that is now afflicting us, why is this a thing....especially on pitches and chips!!!?”

And this is Shaun’s response to that question?

"That fast/slow, draw/fade power implementation was a great opportunity for us to create more risk and reward to how each shot is setup and executed with the existing swing mechanics. Also meaning we’re less likely to see every 100% shot go the same distance when competing. "

It's unfortunate you're not a fan of it, but it's added a variable outcome to each shot, and replicates a type of shot seen in golf executed the best way possible with the existing swing mechanic.

We have tons of feedback on the swing mechanic, along with many other areas of the game that gives us a lot to work on as we continue to push the franchise forward.”

Hmm

#1251 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:04 AM

Oh it produces a variable outcome on the shot no doubt, but for reasons that don't fully congeal with the senses.  I just have to wonder if they really believe what they're saying about this, or it's just a case of being in denial.  A fast downswing doesn't mean you've swung the club "faster", it means you've closed it?  Why doesn't the feedback report read "Perfect/Closed" then?

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1252 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:10 AM

Oh it produces a variable outcome on the shot no doubt, but for reasons that don't fully congeal with the senses.  I just have to wonder if they really believe what they're saying about this, or it's just a case of being in denial.  A fast downswing doesn't mean you've swung the club "faster", it means you've closed it?  Why doesn't the feedback report read "Perfect/Closed" then?

I agree. It’s odd.
Just all feels very corporate PR speak which I don’t personally usually ever like.

#1253 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

TEMPO

I'm pretty good at maintaining tempo, the key i found after being a bit hit and miss with it initially is to ensure you keep the pad of your thumb on the centre of the thumb stick thru out the swing, its easy to let your thumb slide slightly when you transition from back swing to down, in some ways it feels natural to do so.  If you resist this thumb slide and keep it firmly on the pad you may find it easier to maintain tempo, i found a massive difference when i switched to doing it.  I found that when you let your thumb slide slightly to the near / lower side of the thumb stick you are more likely to hit a fast on the down.

• JCat04 likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1254 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:58 PM

Are we sure they shouldn’t have a different (or just none) tempo implementation for chips and pitches?

That part seems maybe odd

#1255 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:02 PM

Are we sure they shouldn’t have a different (or just none) tempo implementation for chips and pitches?

That part seems maybe odd

It does seem odd and I think the only reason it's there is to inject another variable to manage that might make scoring look more reasonable.  It feels a bit contrived to me though.  Just make the swing path a little more sensitive on pitches and chips, and leave the tempo out of it.

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1256 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:03 PM

TEMPO

I'm pretty good at maintaining tempo, the key i found after being a bit hit and miss with it initially is to ensure you keep the pad of your thumb on the centre of the thumb stick thru out the swing, its easy to let your thumb slide slightly when you transition from back swing to down, in some ways it feels natural to do so.  If you resist this thumb slide and keep it firmly on the pad you may find it easier to maintain tempo, i found a massive difference when i switched to doing it.  I found that when you let your thumb slide slightly to the near / lower side of the thumb stick you are more likely to hit a fast on the down.

The technique you're describing here does work, but it makes it easier for me to commit swing path errors... at least in my case, but they are usually less severe than tempo errors.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1257 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

So tomorrow might be some big news JC?

Did I correctly recall you saying that?

#1258 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:19 PM

It does seem odd and I think the only reason it's there is to inject another variable to manage that might make scoring look more reasonable.  It feels a bit contrived to me though.  Just make the swing path a little more sensitive on pitches and chips, and leave the tempo out of it.

I believe one of the reasons for adding a tempo element to the swing is to help even the playing field with the x-axis sensitivities of the various controllers. 🤔

I also feel that tempo (with varying degrees of effect on the shot) should be included for every shot type including putting.

-MERACE
  • JCat04 likes this

#1259 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:29 PM

I believe one of the reasons for adding a tempo element to the swing is to help even the playing field with the x-axis sensitivities of the various controllers.
I also feel that tempo (with varying degrees of effect on the shot) should be included for every shot type including putting.
-MERACE

If they did it for putting, how would you have a missed tempo (on either end) impact a shot result?

What’s your vision for that?

#1260 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM

If they did it for putting, how would you have a missed tempo (on either end) impact a shot result?
What’s your vision for that?

The same way they do it for all the other shot types.

-MERACE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users