#1201 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

And I even was thinking beyond that if they kept enhancing the engine over time.
It feels like they were just getting going and the courses were getting better and better.

I actually really warmed up to the swing...the putting was so so - too easy.

In any case, I would’ve overlooked all of that because of the graphics and the complete EA tour presentation.

Some of the stuff just requires the big budget that the big studios have, and are willing to go in on. It remains to be seen if 2k really is “in” or just putting their name on something to have “an offering”.

I mean as it is right now, despite the older graphics, I still play Tiger Woods 2014 just because of how complete the package is for a career mode. The emulation is getting closer for the EA sports games and I won’t be surprised if that becomes popular again at some point if it gets well emulated and graphics could be upscaled like other PS3/XB360 games.

Right now I play Top Spin 4 for PS3 on my PC with emulation and it is totally phenomenal

I found the swing interface was too easy to dial-in.  You set your targeting cursor for what you wanted your carry to be, take your swing and light the tempo "bubble", flick the stick, and you would get that carry, wind, elevation and lie not withstanding.  I wanted to play the game with the tempo bubble disabled, but there was no option to do so.  I and others requested an option to turn the tempo bubble off in the game settings, something that producer Justin Patel said they'd add to the update list... the game never received an update after he'd agreed to it.  If RMPGAT had JNPG's controller swing interface and tee and approach shot physics and presentation camera option, and TGC 2019's putting, I'd be playing it exclusively right now! 

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1202 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:00 PM

I wanted to play the game with the tempo bubble disabled, but there was no option to do so

Totally agree

Sadly it could have really been great with some patches that never came

#1203 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

Wow. I’m actually fully agreeing with JohnEric on something.
This last part of a post of his from January is really good.

“What could bring me back? Next game needs improved graphics and look, I think we can all agree that it needs to take a leap, it should not look worse than rory and it does. The engine and graphics need to be overhauled and a lobby needs to be added to avoid all the confusing steps. If this isn't done, I'm definitely finished with tgc. I love my golf games, but I just don't feel HB has enough resources to make the game that needs to be made.”

Source: http://www.hb-studio...ic,27409.0.html

#1204 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:10 AM

Things are getting a bit frustrated over there.

I don't blame them.  I think we in PG land can relate for sure.

User Nickha74 tonight:

The silence from HB has become pathetic. They quickly forgot that we (the paying customers) are the reason they even existed and were able to make TGC 2 and 2019. They could at least say why they have vanished or if there are any plans or something. They have gone completely EA sports on us. If you’re done with this game and future games just say it. Or it could be since 2k is involved we may have to pay in order to receive new news since that’s how they run their games.

#1205 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:13 PM

Things are getting a bit frustrated over there.

I don't blame them.  I think we in PG land can relate for sure.

I think that what Trackman is to Perfect Golf, 2K is to TGC 202X.  Both developers have been muzzled, in essence, by their new owners/publishers.  That being said, I have a suspicion that an announcement from 2K, concerning the next TGC product (which I think will be The Golf Club 2020), will be coming as early as the middle of next week, or prior to May 28th, at the latest.  If not, I'll be helping to contribute to the doom & gloom in the HB Studios TGC forum  :)

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1206 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

He quest for the perfect video golf game has been going on for years and we have yet to see it and probably never will. The problem is to get the perfect game would cost a fortune and to be frank we don't have enough consumers to buy it. Let's face it Milenials are killing golf as it is as they don't play like baby boomers or others and golf courses are closing up left and right and here in the Myrtle Beach area is a classic example. The base for video golf is much older than other genders so what is a developer to do. The graphics of Rory are fantastic but the gamplay sucks and not enough course to satisfy anybody. JNPG has the best game play but graphics need an upgrade and absolutely there are no bells and whistles. TGC 2019 has the most bells and whistles but graphics need upgrade and do does game play but it is fun to play due to to the crowds and career mode. My guess is we will still be looking for the perfect game in five years and I don't believe we will ever see it. I play four rounds a week at PGLS PGA 18 and the other three days at TGC 2019 and to me that is the best I can come up with.
  • Buck likes this

#1207 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:33 PM

JNPG has the best game play but graphics need an upgrade and absolutely there are no bells and whistles. TGC 2019 has the most bells and whistles but graphics need upgrade and so does game play but it is fun to play due to to the crowds and career mode. My guess is we will still be looking for the perfect game in five years and I don't believe we will ever see it. I play four rounds a week at PGLS PGA 18 and the other three days at TGC 2019 and to me that is the best I can come up with.

That just about sums it up for me Rob. Well said. ^_^

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#1208 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 02:58 PM

This guy:

“stop bloody whinging i am still enjoying the game and not in any particular hurry for the next instalment just hope there is one ,i am sure HB-2K will tell us when they are good and ready be grateful we have a golf game to play”

LMAO
Where have I heard that basic line before?
Hmmm

Haha

In other news: “the beatings will continue until morale improves”

#1209 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:09 PM

2K will give the next TGC a proper career mode. The downside is that it’s 2K. They love micro transactions.

#1210 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:48 PM

Shaun has chimed in over there with this:

Getting TGC19 on Games with Gold is a huge achievement for the franchise. Being part of this group of games for a one month period gives us an opportunity to significantly increase the userbase on Xbox and continue to increase the awareness of the game. Our activity on the forums for posting has been low admittedly, but we're on here daily keeping up with the conversions and taking note of the many things you're discussing. Once there is more to discuss our interactions will continue to ramp up, until then, we're heads down and hard at work.

Not sure what else I expect him to say at the given moment if they can't talk about what's next.

I personally sort of question the value of having 2019 getting out to more users for free (games with gold thing) given the existing shortcomings, especially in multiplayer, and many things unpatched as of the last patch 4-5 months ago. That would seem to have the potential to turn off as many new people as it turns on.

Does just "getting more unpaid users" really do much?

​It just seems like anyone looking for a golf game (the awareness part he mentioned) would certainly have found TGC 1, 2 or 2019 by now. It's not new and not that different across the revisions and the 2019 versions PGA implementation is about as bare bones as one could imagine. That last part leaves anyone coming from a Tiger Woods era PGA game in the past really really wanting.

Maybe he just wanted to say "something" as people are starting to get a bit restless - who knows.

#1211 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:52 AM

I can see where offering the game for free would get some new exposure to the game.  I played a guy in online matchmaking a few weeks back who'd bought TGC 2 for dirt cheap, became intrigued with it and bought TGC 2019.  He was experiencing something I think a lot of n00bies will encounter when he plays the free version of the game. 

The guy I was playing didn't understand how the tempo error punishes the shot.  He was puzzled how his perfect/fast tempo was causing the ball to hook.  I explained to him that nothing he was doing with his swing path was responsible for it, and that attempting to correct it through that was going to lead to push hooks.  He finally grasped it and I could tell when he had his epiphany about it, and I could see him improve from hole to hole.

The swing mechanic being used in this game is not going to make sense to most casual golf gamers, whose only experience is with games in which the swing path soley determines hooks and slices.  For as many who may find TGC 2019 to be a better golf game than they imagined, the free with gold players are not as likely to go through the tutorial to explain how 'over the top' the tempo based hooks and slices affect the ball.

Shaun's language in that response pretty well confirmed my suspicion that he's been muzzled, but it served to at least represent that he was still around.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1212 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 12:59 AM

I can see where offering the game for free would get some new exposure to the game.

Definitely more exposure...
Hopefully that actually turns out to be a good thing.

As you say here..

The guy I was playing didn't understand how the tempo error punishes the shot. 
He was puzzled how his perfect/fast tempo was causing the ball to hook. 

The swing mechanic being used in this game is not going to make sense to most casual golf gamers, whose only experience is with games in which the swing path soley determines hooks and slices.  For as many who may find TGC 2019 to be a better golf game than they imagined, the free with gold players are not as likely to go through the tutorial to explain how 'over the top' the tempo based hooks and slices affect the ball.

I wonder if a "free with gold" user who gets confused & frustrated is more or less likely to buy 2020?

#1213 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:23 AM

Definitely more exposure...
Hopefully that actually turns out to be a good thing.

As you say here..

I wonder if a "free with gold" user who gets confused & frustrated is more or less likely to buy 2020?

It depends on how many people either RTFM, or pick up on the pop-up tips that appear during menus as to how the tempo really affects the flight of the ball in game.  I really don't know for sure how common that misperception is and those who do misperceive it will likely just quit playing the game without comment anywhere that will matter, since they have nothing invested in it.

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1214 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:03 PM

2K will give the next TGC a proper career mode. The downside is that it’s 2K. They love micro transactions.

There is nothing wrong with Microtransactions as long as it is done correctly. You don't want users to feel like they have to keep paying for stuff but like JNPG here, I would have paid $9.99 per course (also course packs $$.$$) because I know it costs a pretty penny sometimes to make one because I spent over $300 on Hazeltine with having to buy trees I didn't have and the teemarkers/clubhouse. I didn't get nothing back but it's not a big deal really. I think JNPG could have made more money if they did a better job with Microtransactions but unfortunately they were more worried about trying to sell the game to a simulatory company which was there whole plan all along.

We were just a pawn in there chess set.

• gravedodger likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#1215 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

There is nothing wrong with Microtransactions as long as it is done correctly. You don't want users to feel like they have to keep paying for stuff but like JNPG here, I would have paid $9.99 per course (also course packs $$.$$) because I know it costs a pretty penny sometimes to make one because I spent over $300 on Hazeltine with having to buy trees I didn't have and the teemarkers/clubhouse. I didn't get nothing back but it's not a big deal really. I think JNPG could have made more money if they did a better job with Microtransactions but unfortunately they were more worried about trying to sell the game to a simulatory company which was there whole plan all along.

We were just a pawn in there chess set.

I'm okay with microtransactions myself, up to a point.  I wouldn't mind buying extra licensed courses, maybe even selected licensed PGA TOUR pros, with their likenesses and mo-capped swings.  I'd never like to see anything offered that would give a player a playing advantage over one who opted not to buy DLC.  That was Winning Putt's downfall.

I think we might see the announcement of TGC 2020 a few days after the XBox One free version of TGC 2019 is released on May 16th as part of the Free Games With Gold program.  The interest in the game should be raised by the free release, and that announcement of TGC 2020 and a possible showing at E3 would catch more eyes that way.  I'm just speculating though, I don't have any real inside info to go on.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1216 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

I think we might see the announcement of TGC 2020 a few days after the XBox One version of TGC 2019 is released on May 16th as part of the Free Games With Gold program.  

Can you not play 2019 on XB1 right now?

This a new special build just for higher end hardware?

#1217 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

Can you not play 2019 on XB1 right now?

This a new special build just for higher end hardware?

Yeah, you can... I just got through playing two rounds.  What's being put on XBox Live Games With Gold on Thursday is the same TGC 2019 that's been being playing since August, 2018; it's just going to be free to download for XBox Live Gold members.

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1218 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

as it's free, i'll certainly be giving it a go and with an open mind as a 3 clicker using a controller

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#1219 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:03 PM

as it's free, i'll certainly be giving it a go and with an open mind as a 3 clicker using a controller

A few suggestion for you Affo, if you don't mind.  

1.) Set your golfer's club type to "Pro"  (from Beginner) at the very start.  Beginner clubs are almost purely on rails.

2.) Remember that draws/hooks and fades/slices are caused purely by the backswing to downswing speed ratio.  Strive for a "Perfect/Perfect" tempo to hit the ball straight.  To achieve this perfect/perfect tempo for me means feeling like I'm trying to make my downswing speed feel like my backswing speed, although in practice it's probably just a wee bit faster.  It's far easier for most TGC 2019 players to get a perfect/fast tempo (which produces a pretty hefty draw at the very least) than a perfect/slow tempo.

3.) An inside/out swing path produces a push and an outside/in swing path produces a pull, proportional to the degree of path deviation.

4.) Make it a point to play Magnolia National (Tour)... it's the best rendition of Augusta National in the game.

BTW, will you be playing it on the XBox One X?  I ask because TGC 2019 perhaps benefits more than any other game I tried from the enhancement it receives on the X.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1220 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:28 PM

So both the swing path and the tempo can each independently create a draw/fade on their own?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users