Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

@JC

God I hope they can fix the bunkers…

You will think I’m crazy, but in that second photo you shared, literally the very first thing my eye naturally went to is that weird concrete rock whatever it is boundary on the bunkers on the right side.

I’m looking at the photo and taking it all in and that’s the first thing that catches my attention.

I just can’t unsee it and not notice it - always

Are you speaking of the bunker on the extreme right? The fairway bunker?  There's a concrete building wall behind the greenside bunker.  If it's the fairway bunker, I see the normal, slightly different shade of tan, mildly angled bunker face that I always see in TGC.  I wouldn't have noticed it the fairway bunker in this shot in actual play because it would have been in the periphery, at least for me.  In this one though, I don't see anything that I would describe as a weird concrete rock... behind the fairway bunker, although I can see the discolored bunker face now that my attention has been drawn to it. 

He really should make videos for TGC!

He'd have tens of THOUSANDS of courses that could have videos made!

"Hey Keith!  We have a little gift for you!"

LMAO

Ain't gonna happen... why?  There's not a 3-click swing interface in TGC 2019  ;)

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1182 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

You will think I’m crazy, but in that second photo you shared, literally the very first thing my eye naturally went to is that weird concrete rock whatever it is boundary on the bunkers on the right side.

I’m looking at the photo and taking it all in and that’s the first thing that catches my attention.

I just can’t unsee it and not notice it - always

Okay, now that I'm looking at that screenshot on my 55" 4K display (I was looking at it originally on a 17" laptop), I see what you're talking about.  In live gameplay, that bunker face isn't as stark, nor as splotchy as it appears in the image.  There's some artifacting going on there resulting from the resizing that I don't see in live play at 4K.  I'm not saying that the overall look would be much more natural, you just don't see the contrasting splotches that manifested themselves in that image.  

I guess I've conditioned myself to turn a blind eye to the substandard bunker lips and faces, for the most part, but yeah... I still find myself in greenside bunkers at times and asking myself, 'what the heck am I looking at!?'

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1183 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

@JC

NipZIpV.jpg

#1184 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

@JC

NipZIpV.jpg

Yeah, I see it now that I'm on my big display.  There's some image resizing artifacting going to there that accounts for the larger, dark splotches.  It's more defined and far less "splotchy" in live play at 4K res.   Even at that though, it's still substandard, IMO.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1185 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, I see it now that I'm on my big display.  There's some image resizing artifacting going to there that accounts for the larger, dark splotches.  It's more defined and far less "splotchy" in live play at 4K res.   Even at that though, it's still substandard, IMO.

Yeah - I am not even sure resolution matters that much in this case

I could screenshot the awful bunker edges from any number of hundreds of TGC videos off Youtube or Twitch, etc

#1186 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

I guess I've conditioned myself to turn a blind eye to the substandard bunker lips and faces, for the most part, but yeah... I still find myself in greenside bunkers at times and asking myself, 'what the heck am I looking at!?'

I do the same thing when playing from the blotchy pixelated rough in JNPG. ;)

-MERACE
  • Joe Habiger likes this

#1187 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

I do the same thing when playing from the blotchy pixelated rough in JNPG. ;)
-MERACE

Can we have a fair critique about a long standing frustration about TGC without a pot shot or comparison of any kind to PG?

I’m not looking at this relative to anything else.
I just wish they’d finally address it. Hopefully 2020

#1188 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:20 AM

Speaking of bunkers..

Man it kills me we have no more Frostbite/EA options..

1428163143-media.jpgmaxresdefault.jpgmaxresdefault.jpgpgat1.jpg?w=1000&h=56216787390709_b9256c2520_o.jpg1457383759-media.jpg25626074355_e4d4751cc8.jpg

• balaceanca81, Greensboronclion and DPRoberts like this

#1189 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:23 AM

^^^ Imagine how that could have looked on a PC or XB1X/PS4 Pro or PS5, etc ^^^

#1190 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:40 AM

Well at least we have some conversation on video golf going on. If they could have made Rory a complete game it would have been so awesome. I hate to say it but right now I play more TGC 2019 than JNPG and have not played Rory in a while. What could have been.
  • Buck likes this

#1191 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:42 AM

Well at least we have some conversation on video golf going on. If they could have made Rory a complete game it would have been so awesome. I hate to say it but right now I play more TGC 2019 than JNPG and have not played Rory in a while. What could have been.

No need to hate anything about it!  Enjoy!

All should play and enjoy whichever game they prefer.

#1192 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

TGC19- is there option to 3 click or is it just controller/MS on pc?

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#1193 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:02 PM

TGC19- is there option to 3 click or is it just controller/MS on pc?

No 3C option.  Just controllers and pretty horrific MS.  So essentially, controller only (although a few folks do play with a mouse).

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#1194 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

I play TGC 2019 because I can't my controller at JNPG. I now play 3C for the one event I play the PGA 18 as I now know there are cheats that can and probably being used with RTSM just as with the controller. I hate that but it's there and unfortunately the only swing at JNPG which is legit is 3C. I also believe you will never see 3C in another version of video golf.

#1195 Kimmer1947

Kimmer1947

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

No 3C option.  Just controllers and pretty horrific MS.  So essentially, controller only (although a few folks do play with a mouse).

This may have been answered before, and for that I apologize.  With so many 3Clickers out there like me, why don't they offer a 3Click option?

#1196 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:14 PM

^^^ Imagine how that could have looked on a PC or XB1X/PS4 Pro or PS5, etc ^^^

I don't have to imagine too hard... I've played RMPGA Tour on my XBox One X, with its 1080p output upscaled to 4K.  It looks great!  It's what I think a high end console video golf game should look like in 2019.  Unfortunately, RMPGAT's thumbstick swing never rang a bell with me, and I found its putting game to be lacking both in terms of presentation and physics.  I did give it a whirl in its 3-click mode.  It's as good of a 3-click interface as I've ever seen in a console game, but it's 3-click, something that lost its appeal to me circa 2000... about the time PGA Championship Golf 2000 came along with its analog mouse swing.

• MERACE and Buck like this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1197 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

I don't have to imagine too hard... I've played RMPGA Tour on my XBox One X, with its 1080p output upscaled to 4K. It looks great! It's what I think a high end console video golf game should look like in 2019. Unfortunately, RMPGAT's thumbstick swing never rang a bell with me, and I found its putting game to be lacking both in terms of presentation and physics. I did give it a whirl in its 3-click mode. It's as good of a 3-click interface as I've ever seen in a console game, but it's 3-click, something that lost its appeal to me circa 2000... about the time PGA Championship Golf 2000 came along with its analog mouse swing.

And I even was thinking beyond that if they kept enhancing the engine over time.
It feels like they were just getting going and the courses were getting better and better.

I actually really warmed up to the swing...the putting was so so - too easy.

In any case, I would’ve overlooked all of that because of the graphics and the complete EA tour presentation.

Some of the stuff just requires the big budget that the big studios have, and are willing to go in on. It remains to be seen if 2k really is “in” or just putting their name on something to have “an offering”.

I mean as it is right now, despite the older graphics, I still play Tiger Woods 2014 just because of how complete the package is for a career mode. The emulation is getting closer for the EA sports games and I won’t be surprised if that becomes popular again at some point if it gets well emulated and graphics could be upscaled like other PS3/XB360 games.

Right now I play Top Spin 4 for PS3 on my PC with emulation and it is totally phenomenal

#1198 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

This may have been answered before, and for that I apologize.  With so many 3Clickers out there like me, why don't they offer a 3Click option?

Here's the reason the original producer (Anthony Kyne) of the game gave in 2016, as to why there's no 3-click interface in the game:

"The problem with 3-click is it goes completely against what the game game is about.
Our best gameplay feature is putting - that's because of how good it feels you can't replicate that on 3-click.

It's just a simple twitch/timing mechanic, designed in the 80s when input methods weren't as good, that the results are played out  on a golf course. There is nothing golf or feel to it. Most people under 80 have accepted that analogue swings are the way to go, and if we lose a few sales by sticking to our goals of creating a game about feel I'm happy to do that. As trying to please everyone normally results in pleasing no one"

http://www.hb-studio....html#msg192137

That philosophy hasn't changed with the current development team and producer, Shaun West.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1199 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

Here's the reason the original producer (Anthony Kyne) of the game gave in 2016, as to why there's no 3-click interface in the game:

"The problem with 3-click is it goes completely against what the game game is about.Our best gameplay feature is putting - that's because of how good it feels you can't replicate that on 3-click.It's just a simple twitch/timing mechanic, designed in the 80s when input methods weren't as good, that the results are played out on a golf course. There is nothing golf or feel to it. Most people under 80 have accepted that analogue swings are the way to go, and if we lose a few sales by sticking to our goals of creating a game about feel I'm happy to do that. As trying to please everyone normally results in pleasing no one"
http://www.hb-studio....html#msg192137

That philosophy hasn't changed with the current development team and producer, Shaun West.

I personally found that old explainer from Anthony to be a little bit condescending, at least coming from a video game producer, and honestly sort of a nonstarter for an answer.

I don’t see what the controller users with analog swings would lose by having an optional click swing in the game. If it’s about development time maybe I could buy it, at least initially, but the reality is they still have a mouse swing, which most people say is hot garbage, so I’m not really sure how much “the experience” or “vision” or “goals” would actually be ruined by having more options and ways to enjoy the game.

Just to be clear I am not advocating for a 3C swing…
But I’m not convinced of the argument against it either.

If they ever have mobile aspirations for this game, a click Swing could be very helpful actually

#1200 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:23 PM

I personally found that old explainer from Anthony to be a little bit condescending, at least coming from a video game producer, and honestly sort of a nonstarter for an answer.

I don’t see what the controller users with analog swings would lose by having an optional click swing in the game. If it’s about development time maybe I could buy it, at least initially, but the reality is they still have a mouse swing, which most people say is hot garbage, so I’m not really sure how much “the experience” or “vision” or “goals” would actually be ruined by having more options and ways to enjoy the game.

Just to be clear I am not advocating for a 3C swing…
But I’m not convinced of the argument against it either.

If they ever have mobile aspirations for this game, a click Swing could be very helpful actually

I'd say there's more behind HB Studios decision not to go 3-click than what was indicated in that reply.  They were big on the one swing for all philosophy at that time, and a 3-click interface would be hard to include in terms of equivalency along side an analog swing interface with that idea in mind.  They did add an analog mouse swing in the final hour, which I didn't understand, and I'm sure that took development time and resources.  It played like something that was added in the final hour though... I'd have to say it was the worst analog mouse swing I've every tried.  I gave it a trial in TGC 2 out of curiosity, and it was slightly better, but still inplayable IMO.  

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users