1822 replies to this topic

#1261 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:54 PM

The same way they do it for all the other shot types.

-MERACE

You want putting push/pull and left/right mishits tied to tempo?

#1262 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:08 AM

Yes, mostly like it is with the other clubs minus the slow downswing tempo giving more carry distance.  :huh:  :rolleyes:

-MERACE

#1263 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

The technique you're describing here does work, but it makes it easier for me to commit swing path errors... at least in my case, but they are usually less severe than tempo errors.

This method did affect my swing path too but like the PG swing i found that tilting the pad slightly made it more comfortable, you have to then be religious with it to maintain it.  Once you get the swing path on this game its quite easy to be consistent with it, you have that blue strip of forgiveness, that helps massively, there is no such strip in the PG swing and the slightest off path can mean a 20 ft putt.  I cannot simply pick up my controller after a week of not playing PG and play well at tour pro level, 1/2 hour of range time can usually get a groove back, with TGC i find it quite easy to pick up and play even if i have not played it for ages, i still suck at the no feel short game though.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1264 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:49 PM

So tomorrow might be some big news JC?

Did I correctly recall you saying that?

I speculated that there might be, but Shaun's most recent comment that you addressed here has me second guessing that.  I thought they might have something ready to shot at E3, and this would have given them 3 weeks to hype its showing there.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1265 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:58 PM

I have pulled putts in real life due to tempo, so I can buy that if it's properly scaled.  What I haven't done in real life is hook a drive due to fast downswing tempo, as is the case in this game.  I have pulled drives because of a fast tempo plenty of times though.  My contention is let tempo affect pushes and pulls, and carry distance... as long as they're properly scaled; and allow swing path to determine hooks/draws, slices/fades.  They're unwilling to do that because the zero axis controller users will negate the most punishing aspect of the swing.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1266 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:19 PM

I guess I’m not sure what the point of referencing real life is if only some portions of the swing or certain shot types are going to react the same way you would expect in real golf.

You sort of have to pick one direction or the other

I mean HB/2K, not you specifically JC

#1267 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

I guess I’m not sure what the point of referencing real life is if only some portions of the swing or certain shot types are going to react the same way you would expect in real golf.

You sort of have to pick one direction or the other

I mean HB/2K, not you specifically JC

I would think they would want to come up with as analogous a model as they could create in the swing interface.  IMO, they've come up with a model that's more bent on negating zero axis controllers, and as a result it's not a model that my instincts associate with reality.  I confess that I still enjoy playing it for its challenge; I just wish that challenge could come with a model that made more of a visceral connection with my senses.

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1268 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:50 PM

I would think they would want to come up with as analogous a model as they could create in the swing interface. IMO, they've come up with a model that's more bent on negating zero axis controllers, and as a result it's not a model that my instincts associate with reality. I confess that I still enjoy playing it for its challenge; I just wish that challenge could come with a model that made more of a visceral connection with my senses.

Agreed

#1269 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:06 PM

So no presence at E3 and no news ‘eh?
That blows

Even if they don’t have something until next year it would have been cool to see a work in progress and announcement of “coming in 2020”.

Hopefully the end of updates six months ago wasn’t really the end of their budget and they are now just waiting to see if revenue over time dictates if any future versions are even worth their time and money.

#1270 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

Well I tried the game on Xbox one and it's just not for me. I lke the bells and whistles but just couldn't get to grips around and on the green. Just no feel to the shots around the green. I tried different tempos and tried to play part shots but often the ball would go further than the club "max" distance or go nowhere at all. I'm just a clicker!

So, no updates or whatever, JNPG is my game and glad I didn't fork out cash to try TGC 2019. Probably would play an odd game here and there if i'm on the Xbox, holding out for JNPG2.........

• Buck likes this

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#1271 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:54 PM

Well I tried the game on Xbox one and it's just not for me. I lke the bells and whistles but just couldn't get to grips around and on the green. Just no feel to the shots around the green. I tried different tempos and tried to play part shots but often the ball would go further than the club "max" distance or go nowhere at all. I'm just a clicker!

So, no updates or whatever, JNPG is my game and glad I didn't fork out cash to try TGC 2019. Probably would play an odd game here and there if i'm on the Xbox, holding out for JNPG2.........

If you're a clicker, TGC 2019 certainly isn't going to convert you to analog thumbstick control.  I've gotten reasonably good with modulating chip shots in its short game, but hitting a modulated pitch shot and a partial full shot are really out of scale.  I'll play lofted or de-lofted flop shots instead of a modulated pitch in TGC 2019. 

Just curious, do you know what club set you were using when you tried TGC 2019?  I'd recommend the Pro clubs for someone just beginning the game, but I think it defaults to "Beginner" clubs.  Beginner clubs are so insensitive that they have virtually no feel to them at all to me.  Still, I don't think any club set is going to convert a clicker to thumbsticker in TGC 2019.  Pro clubs just *might* leave you with slightly less of a sour impression of it.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1272 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:07 PM

So no presence at E3 and no news ‘eh?
That blows

Even if they don’t have something until next year it would have been cool to see a work in progress and announcement of “coming in 2020”.

Hopefully the end of updates six months ago wasn’t really the end of their budget and they are now just waiting to see if revenue over time dictates if any future versions are even worth their time and money.

Nothing at E3.  As I mentioned in the thread at OS, the only thing being shown in the 2K spread was Borderlands 3.  You know if NBA  2K 20 isn't going to make a showing, TGC 202(X) isn't going to be there.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1273 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:16 PM

I tried different tempos and tried to play part shots but often the ball would go further than the club "max" distance or go nowhere at all.

I wanted to reply to this one separately because it is the one element of TGC 2019 that sticks in my craw the most... I'm trying to play a normal shot, perhaps on the slow side on the downswing tempo to avoid the overly punitive draw a fast downswing tempo can entail, and I hit a "Slow" downswing tempo that somehow results in the ball carrying ~2 to 4% further than one that was struck with a "Perfect" downswing tempo!?  I'm sorry, but that does not compute.  In essesnce, both a "Fast" and a "Slow" downswing tempo result in the ball having more carry than one that's perfect??  I can see the fast having more carry, but the slow :wacko:

• cajuncapgun and Buck like this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1274 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

From Shaun:

There is nothing being hidden from anyone and there is no 'song and dance' going on. We simply don't have anything to share about our current line-up or upcoming products. We're hard at work as I have mentioned, and when that results in news/content/information of value to share this will obviously be one of the first places that gets that. E3 is a big time for many products but they're there because they're ready to tease or start talking about their products. When that time comes for whatever is next for us, E3 or not, you won't miss it.

Hmm.. meh..

It's a shame he can't at least say "yes we are working on a new version of TGC - just no timetable for it as of yet".

(assuming there is a new version of course...)

The answer above doesn't really make me think they are necessarily doing much of anything on TGC and perhaps are focused on other HB titles.

Don't they still do Steep? 

I see new maps for that just came out.

Maybe a whole different team though of course.

#1275 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:48 PM

The next reply to Shaun is right on the nose - well done by user FRSTDWN:

I really don't understand what you guys are doing then . You aren't supporting this game anymore and you are not saying if you are making a new game. So I'm confused on what you are hard at work at?

#1276 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:48 AM

Good on Shaun. Users need to stop thinking they deserve instant gratification every time they log onto a website, forum or whatnot. Devs need to dev. Users need to chill the hell out for a while and maybe go outside or something. HB has offered up 3 iterations of the game so far.
  • RobC and shimonko like this

#1277 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:05 AM

Good on Shaun. Users need to stop thinking they deserve instant gratification every time they log onto a website, forum or whatnot. Devs need to dev. Users need to chill the hell out for a while and maybe go outside or something. HB has offered up 3 iterations of the game so far.

I agree with this guy:

I don't normally ping developers for updates on what they're working on, because they need to spend time doing not talking. But now is an exception to my rule: like Paul said, if you're not ready to announce or even tease a new version of the game, and if you won't talk about a roadmap for updating the current version of the game, then what the heck are you doing? If you are allocating resources for other games and can't give TGC 2019 any more love at this time, then please just tell us. Right now, we have nothing from you, you say you have nothing to tell us, and yet you are supposedly hard at work on something.

Is there some marketing or legal reason you can't say whether you plan to update 2019? Is there some marketing or legal reason you can't tell us that you are working on a new version of The Golf Club? Then tell us that. Keeping us in the dark since the last update doesn't seem to serve anyone's best interest. If your hands are tied regarding customer or general public communication, then tell us that. We can assume that, of course, but we all know what that makes us.

#1278 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

Devs owe them nothing. For him to ask if there’s a reason why they aren’t saying anything is quite silly really. We all know the answer. 2k has them silenced for a reason. The devs are in a no win situation either way. They should be happy with the current release and continue on. If they really want some grief then let them come to these forums and watch the years roll by with no interaction.

#1279 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:24 PM

I think 2K is muzzling HB Studios.  However, I think the fact that they're not even admitting they're working on a golf game is really puzzling.  He only mentioned we're working on "upcoming products".  That could mean anything :unsure:   I don't know why he couldn't just say 'we're working on a new golf game, but it's not far enough along to disclose any details about it'?  The more I'm digging into 2K's actions of late, the more I'm led to wonder how responsible they are for this posture?

I've got a game that I can see myself biding my time with and providing me continued entertainment though, so I can wait for whatever news comes about the future of the franchise.  I realize that not everyone is in my boat and the longer TGC's next installment drags out, the more skeptical the potential buyers are going to become.  I wish Anthony Kyne was still tuned into this discussion.  I'd like to read his thoughts on this particular situation.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1280 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:32 PM

I agree JC - the specific verbiage Shaun chose was the odd part. It felt very carefully worded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users