113 replies to this topic

#61 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

be interested to find out why some people are not happy about having Steam on there comp.

Cuz nobody likes pimps. 

I will follow PG to Steam if I really have to. Right now I don't. If I had it my way (I know, the universe never lets me have it my way), the pimp gets zilch.

Still, all those of you who do not mind, go ahead an support PG on Steam. Sure, go ahead.. yeah...

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#62 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

well I was going to write a reasonable response, but then again I won`t bother.

#63 moesyzlak100

moesyzlak100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Unfortunately Steam is literally a steaming pile of doo-doo. Checkout the support forums where anybody with 'steam issues' of which there seem to be numerous, are often simply left in a state of limbo without answers to their questions. Certainly not from Steam (Valve) themselves. For instance the common issue of steam failing to update due to either ISP's closing certain ports or for some other veiled reason which they seem not to offer or be able to offer an answer to. Surely it can't be right that the only way of getting steam to update so that you can play a game you have paid good cash for is to see on some spurious forum a post which suggests using a VPN? Again not at the suggestion of anyone pertaining to be from Valve.

#64 Forestman

Forestman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

Unfortunately Steam is literally a steaming pile of doo-doo. Checkout the support forums where anybody with 'steam issues' of which there seem to be numerous, are often simply left in a state of limbo without answers to their questions. Certainly not from Steam (Valve) themselves. For instance the common issue of steam failing to update due to either ISP's closing certain ports or for some other veiled reason which they seem not to offer or be able to offer an answer to. Surely it can't be right that the only way of getting steam to update so that you can play a game you have paid good cash for is to see on some spurious forum a post which suggests using a VPN? Again not at the suggestion of anyone pertaining to be from Valve.

What system doesn't have issues?

Steam's growth and success would suggest they offer a very stable service.  I for myself have been using Steam for a number of years and can say I am very pleased as a customer.

It has been confirmed that Steam won't be a requirement for Perfect Golf, but I can almost guarantee it will be paramount in it's success.

• Tigers Agent likes this

Please support PERFECT GOLF on STEAM --CLICK ON THE LINK TO SUPPORT: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116796801&searchtext=golf

#65 magginoodles

magginoodles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Done.  

Hope this helps in some way.

• Erik Lugris likes this

#66 Erik Lugris

Erik Lugris

Founder, CEO

• Administrators
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

Done, a HUGE "Yes" given in the Greenlight. BTW, the intro video (first one) for the game in Steam is amazing.

Erik M. Lugris

Founder

Perfect Parallel, Inc.

#67 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Steam isn't for everyone...

That's really all is needed to say. However, for the purpose of the guys here at PP, they would be wise to use whatever is available currently. If that's STEAM, then so be it...  if it serves as another audience to sell or market to, then it's wrong to ignore it.

Those of us who don't use Steam.. don't worry. It isn't the be all and end all of pimps. I hated it, and was disgusted I had to install it to play a game a year or three ago. However, it's only used now for when i buy something from The Humble Bundle  giveaways. I'd like to think I can go out and get a hard copy of PG but I think it will be quicker for me to download than drive to the fewer and fewer outlets that exist nowadays.

But it's still likely to be about choice... hopefully that will never change.

#68 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

be interested to find out why some people are not happy about having Steam on there comp.

I see no reason why I should have to install and run third party software in order to play a game I have purchased. I dislike unnecessary background programs running, and I also find it an invasion of my privacy to have my gaming time and history tracked by this software. I have no desire to share this information with anyone. I also do not like the way it is monopolising the industry, much like Micro$oft with its OS.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#69 Chaz1957

Chaz1957

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

Ive had a steam account for years now and never a problem with anything....Vote  done.....

#70 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

I "voted" for PP with my wallet back in the Kickstarter days. And I would vote for PP with my wallet again if they ever produce something to purchase. But I have no interest in having to purchase another game just for the right to cast a Yes vote for PP.

#71 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

I "voted" for PP with my wallet back in the Kickstarter days. And I would vote for PP with my wallet again if they ever produce something to purchase. But I have no interest in having to purchase another game just for the right to cast a Yes vote for PP.

Technically you didn't vote with your wallet with Kickstarter as no monies were taken from anyone that pledged, but I understand what you mean.

Also you have to remember, it is not PP asking you to purchase a game to vote, that is Steam (Valve). It just happens that PP opted to try and Greenlight Perfect Golf on Steam as it is a thriving gaming community with millions of users, but like Ian D has stated, it isn't for everyone. I personally cannot blame PP for trying the Steam option. Many Indie games are going that way too and reaping the rewards.

I have followed the Greenlight push (as I use Steam) and it has gained plenty of positives from Steam users, who all seem to agree that there is nothing like Perfect Golf on Steam and they are adding their YES vote to get it on there.

How PP manage all this and how they make the game, TI and CF available is down to them. iRacing have also gone for Steam Greenlight but they did also add that the current non-Steam way af accessing their service would not be lost, so there must be a way for both to co-exist. If so, let's hope PP give plenty of consideration to this option.

;)

#72 Forestman

Forestman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Ive had a steam account for years now and never a problem with anything....Vote  done.....

Thanks for your support!

Please support PERFECT GOLF on STEAM --CLICK ON THE LINK TO SUPPORT: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116796801&searchtext=golf

#73 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

I've had Steam for many years. stores all my games (120) I've never had a problem. I start Steam every day and it updates my games with no problems. I've also discovered many games because of Steam and bought games at a huge discount at various times of the year. Steam handles cheater quite well also with a lifetime ban.(all of us have nothing to worry about that though)..

Steam is not going away anytime soon. In fact it's been growing with their workshop which may help course builders with an unknown source of audience.(Create, discover, and download content for your game)

#74 Forestman

Forestman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

I've had Steam for many years. stores all my games (120) I've never had a problem. I start Steam every day and it updates my games with no problems. I've also discovered many games because of Steam and bought games at a huge discount at various times of the year. Steam handles cheater quite well also with a lifetime ban.(all of us have nothing to worry about that though)..

Steam is not going away anytime soon. In fact it's been growing with their workshop which may help course builders with an unknown source of audience.(Create, discover, and download content for your game)

Tigers Agent,

I agree with your comment in regards to Steamworkshop, I believe it would help Course Forge users a lot and make course building a very popular aspect of the game.  Not sure if they have plans to implement Course Forge with Steamworkshop.

#75 jedi_mike

jedi_mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

dont under estimate the power of steam.as i type this allmost 5.5 million users are online

#76 VIXEN_VIKKI

VIXEN_VIKKI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, UK

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

Please excuse my ignorance here as i have only ever played golf browser games...... i do not have a steam account and since this will be the only game i will be playing.... if i choose to play the game in whatever the alternative mode is...will that be like playing the game  offline , for instance will you only be able to play against the course or will you still be able to play multiplayer and have all the full game options that will be avaialable via steam

Again appologies for my ignorance.........i am not a true gamer

#77 vfe

vfe

Mac Overlord

• Administrators
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Please excuse my ignorance here as i have only ever played golf browser games...... i do not have a steam account and since this will be the only game i will be playing.... if i choose to play the game in whatever the alternative mode is...will that be like playing the game  offline , for instance will you only be able to play against the course or will you still be able to play multiplayer and have all the full game options that will be avaialable via steam

Again appologies for my ignorance.........i am not a true gamer

If we release on steam, the only thing you'd be "missing out" on by not having the "Steam Version" would be steam-specific things, like Steam Achievements, access to your steam friends list, etc.

No core part of the game will be missing from non-steam versions.

#78 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

If we release on steam, the only thing you'd be "missing out" on by not having the "Steam Version" would be steam-specific things, like Steam Achievements, access to your steam friends list, etc.

No core part of the game will be missing from non-steam versions.

As we had hoped. Thanks for the confirmation Volker.

So now when some of us are trying to push for support on Steam, we are not trying to alienate anyone and stop them from playing, but just trying to get Perfect Golf on to a platform where there is a massive gaming community that can help the project onward and upward alongside all the non-Steam users. For example just logged on to run some laps in the new Assetto Corsa v0.4 build update and there 1,450 folks in the sim. Imagine how PP would benefit with that sort of support.

So hopefully the 'I hate Steam' fellowship can rest easy, lol.

:D

• Mick-S and IanD like this

#79 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:18 AM

So hopefully the 'I hate Steam' fellowship can rest easy, lol.

Daz,
I don't "hate" Steam, it's just that I choose not use it for the reasons stated in a previous post. I want to be able to obtain PP directly from this site, along with all of the "goodies", animations, apparel, courses etc. The only game that I play is Links 2003 and up to this point, only offline. Based on what I've been able to discern, from this thread, my concern of only being able to get this program from Steam or sites like it will not an issue.. If I understand things properly, Steam will be only one way to access PP. That works for me. At some point, I may decide to join an online community. I haven't ruled that out. I haven't done that with Links 2003 because from observing various Links online websites, there are just too many issues for me to want to deal with. I do hope that over time, that PP has access to a lot or free stuff such as courses, animations and apparel. I fully understand that payment may be reguired to "real" courses due to licensing or other consideration.+

AT THIS POINT, ALL I HAVE TO ADD IS "GO PP"

• karma4u likes this
Richard

Posted Image

#80 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

In a funny way... it's one of those chicken and egg scenario's... Steam is the chicken, PP is the egg.

There is almost an online community pre-made in Steam. Some minor tweaks and you may find a real ease of linking up with someone for a round using Steam. However, those not "into" Steam (poor wording I know) are unhappy about installing 3rd party software.

If the game had released, and we then saw a Community based program that linked to our PG game, and allowed updates to not only this but other games, and offered a digital download of other games, plus the ability to play online with all these games - well.. it would have been an interesting discussion much like this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users