351 replies to this topic

#21 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:46 AM

Consider Pommeroy my contribution. With it's set of tees it doubles as both a par 3 and a pitch and putt course. Evidently, the nice people over at Trackman are not aware of this facility. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#22 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

Consider Pommeroy my contribution. With it's set of tees it doubles as both a par 3 and a pitch and putt course. Evidently, the nice people over at Trackman are not aware of this facility. 

Awesome course right here, K1!   Very nicely done and definitely challenging greens!   Been enjoying this one for a while now!   Nice job..

#23 brattenj

brattenj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Would be really cool if someone came up with the 18 most iconic par 3 holes in the world and somehow made those into a full course. Sawgrass 17, Scottsdale, Augusta number 12, the postage stamp etc

#24 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:42 PM

I'm going to do something like a "par three's greatest hits" but I don't plan on using exact copies or replicas.... but I think some holes will be familiar enough. More along the line of common styles. So far I have about 13 holes out of 18 worked out in my head.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#25 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:11 PM

I think the idea sounds fun and a way to quickly add some content to the course carousel. Would it be problematic to only be 9 hole courses?

I think 18 holes of par 3s tends to induce a bit of boredom - as a designer and a player.

Actually after some discussion I think we will be allowing both 9 holes and 18 hole par 3 courses in the competition. 

#26 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

Actually after some discussion I think we will be allowing both 9 holes and 18 hole par 3 courses in the competition. 

What is the dead line of this competition?

#27 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:09 AM

When do we start... how big is the plot...do we all start with the same plot and see what comes out or do we build from our own terrains

Cheers RobC

#28 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

What is the dead line of this competition?

Not sure what the deadline is yet. I'll make a formal announcement when I know all the details along with the terms of the competition etc.

#29 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

When do we start... how big is the plot...do we all start with the same plot and see what comes out or do we build from our own terrains

Cheers RobC

We're looking for lots of variety so I think that would be better served by allowing designers to start with their own plot.

• RobC and NoPutt like this

#30 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Hm, tempted...

But since Trackman is calling the tune, I think designers would above all like to hear from Sim players, for whom this is being made after all.

What do the garage swingers expect from such a course? Why do they feel they need it in the first place? What are they looking for, what tickles their fancy? Need more input.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#31 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

Not sure how Trackman would use it but I would just play for closest to the pin purposes. Guessing that's what they'll do as that can then give a quantifiable proximity to hole across the 9 or 18 so a player can compete against others similar to the Trackman Combine.

As such, I think a true test would force swinging about every club in the bag (plus or minus woods). Obviously, upper yardage limit will generate some gnashing of teeth. Guessing a fair cap would be 220 yards.

Surrounding bunkers, water and mounds to induce some nervousness on the tee.

Your Pommeroy is a fabulous way to train precise landing of my 50 degree wedge and below. Using a course from this new contest, I'm hoping to train precise landing of my PW-hybrid.

Hoping you'll decide to participate because I know you'll do something different, thoughtful, and above all - fun to play.

#32 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

Not sure how Trackman would use it but I would just play for closest to the pin purposes. Guessing that's what they'll do as that can then give a quantifiable proximity to hole across the 9 or 18 so a player can compete against others similar to the Trackman Combine.

As such, I think a true test would force swinging about every club in the bag (plus or minus woods). Obviously, upper yardage limit will generate some gnashing of teeth. Guessing a fair cap would be 220 yards.

Surrounding bunkers, water and mounds to induce some nervousness on the tee.

Your Pommeroy is a fabulous way to train precise landing of my 50 degree wedge and below. Using a course from this new contest, I'm hoping to train precise landing of my PW-hybrid.

Hoping you'll decide to participate because I know you'll do something different, thoughtful, and above all - fun to play.

When I made my 6 hole test I created holes that would play from 50 yds up to 120 yds and each hole had a different theme such as 'volcano' or 'jigsaw' .

The skills required in designing a sim course are the same as designing a course in real life. The best designed courses will cater for both experts and beginners and provide fun for all as you have a selection of different tees to use to create a different challenge to the same green. BTW don'y forget The courses will also be available for the PG players too.

#33 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

BTW if think you might want to try a fantasy course something along these lines would be pretty cool!

http://www.infamousg...com/Infamous18/

#34 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:59 PM

I actually have one hole in mind inspired by that "course" :)

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#35 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

I will prob knock up a fantasy themed 9 holer, and if i have time i will then create another 9 on a different plot.  Not keen on creating 18 par 3's because i want plenty of eye candy and FPS has to be acceptable.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#36 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

BTW if think you might want to try a fantasy course something along these lines would be pretty cool!

I extracted the elevations from my APCD version when I first tried CF. Wasn't able to figure out how to do much with it in Unity since there were a lot of fantasy terrain elements.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/kplYMYD"><a href="//imgur.com/kplYMYD"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I also can't figure out how to delete this post ;)

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#37 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

When I first tried CF I actually extracted my APCD file and imported it into Unity. I couldn't figure out how to make the "fantasy" terrain work however.

https://imgur.com/5YbLdfw

https://imgur.com/HkkYVix

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#38 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:26 PM

I'm down for this competition, I might be able to get someone else to join as well from my group.

I already have in my head what I would like to do and have always wanted to do but as a par 3 course. 

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#39 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:50 AM

I will hopefully have some more info on this today ie closing dates etc. But if anyone wants to start don't wait for me just go for it!

• Stingreye likes this

#40 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:11 PM

Sounds good. Hoping real life will afford me the time to finish an entry! May have to temper the eye candy depending on the deadline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users