highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:02 PM

I was thinking of quiche, actually. 

Oh, and highfade aka Adriaan: Don't sit this one out, please. I know it's short notice, but have a go anyway. And do bring some kudu biltong to the after-party. 

I'll see, maybe and I'll even throw in a pack of droë wors.  I'm a bit worried that I also might not be eligible due to some bad behavior in the past. :mellow:

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#62 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:19 PM

I will be attempting this challenge as well but I hope I can finish it, in the meantime I will be releasing a beta of Hazeltine National so I can focus my time spent in Course Forge on this. It's been a long time coming for Hazeltine but I get burnt out so quickly sometimes so this is why I am releasing the beta now because I am not sure how long this will last and I could go into burn out mode again. I'm hoping I can also get the design challenge done but the plot will be key for what i'm attempting and with pretty much only a month to do this I need to work a lot on it. Yes laying down holes ain't a big deal but then all the other stuff that needs to be added pops up and frankly your talking many hours of labor besides of hours of labor making the plot itself.

Yikes I might be setting myself up for fail, I don't like to be hurried..lol

Hazeltine National is fully playable (my friends and I have played it the last two weeks) but lack a few things yet like all of the tee markers and cart paths and some bushes and such. I'll probably put a link up by tomorrow night in a post.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#63 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:59 PM

Started mine. So far it's actually been harder than I thought - having to come up with 18 of these that are unique enough from each other is tough!

My biggest worry right now is that I'm being too gimmicky with it... I feel like it kinda has to be or it would be boring.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#64 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:09 AM

Agree. I've got 9 that I think are great. A mix of long, mid and short. At some point risk some redundancy trying to push 18. But, obviously, trying to make bunkers and water be the resistance on some and simply tiers and slope be the resistance on others and a few a mix. I wish it was a 9 hole contest only.

Fun thing for me is turning a few approaches on 4s and 5s that I've enjoyed in real life and using those as inspiration for a 3.

#65 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

I would rather see 9 great holes rather 18 holes where 9 just made up the numbers. But having said that if you can think of 18 great holes - all the better!

#66 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

Is 75 yards too short for one shot? I'm trying to keep simulators in mind..... I must admit I have very little experience with sims so I'm not sure how they behave when it comes to things like half shots and 3/4 shots? I have a hole that could be controversial in that way.

#67 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:44 PM

Is 75 yards too short for one shot? I'm trying to keep simulators in mind..... I must admit I have very little experience with sims so I'm not sure how they behave when it comes to things like half shots and 3/4 shots? I have a hole that could be controversial in that way.

No it's not too short - remember that you can have 3 tees or more so you can always make the shortest one suitable for complete beginners if you want to even if it's just a 40 yard chip!

Shorter is definable better than longer as no-one wants to play a constant stream of 200 yards par 3's as it would becomes boring very quickly.

#68 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:08 PM

I have three holes under 100 and three holes over 200 :)

#69 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:39 AM

For those of us that are lucky enough to have a GC2, all shots register perfectly from any distance. No problems having shorter one shot holes but I'd stay away from having too many 200+ yard par 3 holes. A good mixture from 100-200 would be great.

#70 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

I have three holes under 100 and three holes over 200 :)

Variety is great but don't forget to allow beginners to have fun playing the course you can always put the shortest tee much closer.

#71 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:28 PM

The longest hole is 248 but it has a very large green and is open in front. Of the other 200+ yard holes, one has a 60 yard long green and the other is about 55 feet downhill. But the forward tees are also well forward on those too.

I have one hole that's 46 yards from the front markers... but it's an all or nothing shot :)

#72 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

i'm only going with 9, got a lot of vegetation and landmarks going on.  18 would not be fps friendly...nearly there!

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#73 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:38 AM

Cant wait to try some of these out on the sim. We do have a lack of par3 courses in general, and sounds like theres some excellent guys working on these. For Sim Play key thing for us is pin placement with regards to slopes. No one likes a pin placed on an insane slope. ideally flat a few feet around it and no more then 3 degrees within 10ft of the pin at the most is what wed call "sim safe" That would be a 1/2 ft drop inside 10ft which i think is quite a lot for that length of putt. Obvious you might have a big side or whatever and outside 10ft all bets are off :)  but thats what we look for to make it enjoyable

• highfade likes this

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#74 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:34 AM

I’m a sim player and I feel the opposite. When playing a solo round it’s nice to have flags in flat areas as it’s almost impossible to miss but when I play with friends somebody getting the viciously breaking putt creates loads of drama. I suppose a bit of everything is nice.

#75 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:53 AM

I've pretty much finished mine, not doing 18 as that's just too many for all par 3.  It's a bit untidy in places, but it kinda suits the theme...that's my excuse anyway  ;) i'm kinda struggling with motivation at the moment, partly why i have finished my last course in this version of CF.  Anyway, if Mike would like to create a thread to post the course file i will get mine out today or tomorrow.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#76 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:55 AM

You show me yours, I'll show you mine.

ZjP04Ht.jpg

• tsmith, ✠ davef ✠, bortimus and 2 others like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#77 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

oUtsT2L.jpg

• Kablammo11, ✠ davef ✠, bortimus and 1 other like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#78 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:59 PM

how will these courses be released will they come to the public at the end

of the contest, or will they be released by Tracman & PP?

will they be put out for testing? are the designers doing private testing groups

to keep their projects under cover till release?

how will this all work?

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#79 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:03 PM

love the theme, maybe a few night lights would be cool for some night time play.

by the looks of the flash screen i think this one would be cool for some night time thunderstorm play.

great looking screen

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#80 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:10 PM

A night theme would mean two course files, i may try it and see..not a bad idea Dave.  Getting all the objects needed for such a theme was a drag, i don't have a great library for objects, i just scratch about at sketchup warehouse and make do.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users