• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:34 AM

[OFF_TOPIC]

frank,

Recall this thread:  http://www.perfectpa...hanks/?p=115059

As far as I am aware, the updated spreadsheet that I did works fine for the English version of Excel 2013/2016.  Since I never used and wasn't likely to use the spreadsheet, I decided it wasn't worth my effort to update every player attribute based on the information you provided.  You seem to come to the same conclusion, but never indicated whether the sheet ran for you or not with the populated values. 

I later ran across some issues with German-English versions of Excel macros in TribunXIII's spreadsheet, noted in this thread:

http://www.perfectpa...sheet/?p=145090

What version of Excel do you have?  Does my converted GBVC 2017 v0.9 run on your computer? 

[/OFF_TOPIC]

Edited by Armand, 21 October 2018 - 04:48 AM.

#22 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:45 AM

I've started to make lots of changes in the macro coding and added fancier buttons, for my own personal copy.  Mostly its simple additions from my own Career spreadsheet.

Some of my fixes:

• changed the round 2 format to proper 3's in a group, going out in reverse order of round1. Had been groups of 2 by R1 score.
  • updating the WR and PGA rank for 2018.
  • update FedEx points for 2019

still to do:

• update the courses database (pull-down menu of all the PG1 courses)
  • 2019 schedule
  • playoff that doesn't use random score for human player

I'll send you a copy when I finish.

Good changes, looking foreword to try it out.

I've tried Greybeards way back in the day and although it is excellent I found it too complicated. The best part of this one is the scoring. It is simply an average score setting for the whole field that you can change between rounds, so if the course plays too easy you just ramp up the AI scoring.

• Affo likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#23 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

I've started to make lots of changes in the macro coding and added fancier buttons, for my own personal copy.  Mostly its simple additions from my own Career spreadsheet.

Some of my fixes:

• changed the round 2 format to proper 3's in a group, going out in reverse order of round1. Had been groups of 2 by R1 score.
  • updating the WR and PGA rank for 2018.
  • update FedEx points for 2019

still to do:

• update the courses database (pull-down menu of all the PG1 courses)
  • 2019 schedule
  • playoff that doesn't use random score for human player

I'll send you a copy when I finish.

Any news on your update?

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

#24 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:50 PM

Any news on your update?

It's starting to take shape.  I'm hoping to have the 2019 Season out the week of Thanksgiving; some beta testing before the real season starts in January.

I'll post some screens later tonight (if I can figure out Google Photo).

• highfade likes this

#25 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:12 PM

Revamping the scoring method now.  Hope to have things working by Thanksgiving.

@ Affo - the roster "skill" aspect I'm coding up has to do with the Strokes-Gained-per-Round vs the field.

https://www.pgatour....02417.2018.html

This, I believe is the same approach you mentioned over at PGLS as a possible new Power Rating.  It ties in with the scoring analysis I've done (Majors only) showing certain trends in par-bogie-birdie distribution based on stroke differential by hole (Round differential / 18 holes).

Right now, I'm doing the same scoring analysis using ~40 tournaments from the 2018 FedEx season.  The FedEx scoring average (70.9) should shift the data ~2 strokes-per-round (~0.1 strokes on the above graph) lower than the Majors (72.9).  Finished scoring analysis (below).

[attachment=1493:Par_Prob_FedEx.jpg]

This should make for more realistic AI scoring, on a hole-by-hole basis.

Edit: I updated the graph.

Edited by jmk59, 31 October 2018 - 10:19 PM.

• highfade, Affo and frank70 like this

#26 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:38 AM

Progress towards a working 2019 FedEx Career mod is getting closer - about two week away.  I've attached two pics to illustrate the new scoring methodology, and uploaded a working model of the first page (1 tab spreadsheet) that shows the 2019 schedule.  The upload is at the Recorded Rounds Mega site (logon info below) in the PG Career Mode folder.

• I put in a whole new scoring model based on the 2017 and 2018 FedEx seasons.  Look-up tables or graphs, one for par 5's, and another for par 3&4's are show below.  As a side note, the old GBVC (Greybeard) from LINKs2003 days also used something similar.

[attachment=1495:Par5 Curves.jpg]         [attachment=1496:Par4 Curves.jpg]

From the data:   field average for the season is ~71 and this is also the course average over a season.

Players are scoring ~1/3 strokes under par on the 5's and ~1/15 strokes above par on the 3's and 4's.

The player's skill model is based on Stroke Differential vs. the Field.  The best players are gaining ~2/15 strokes per hole over the field.

The end result is that the model should provide proper scores and numbers of eagles, birdies, and bogies for a tournament.  The data and averages are very consistent over the last 10 years.

• The spreadsheet I uploaded is a working copy of the Schedule page.  I need some feedback on better choices for the real courses that we don't have in PG1.  I haven't spent a lot of time on this aspect, so suggest better courses please.  Logon info is below.

LOGIN

Enter this email...

jnpgrecordings@gmail.com

and this password...

driveforshow

PLEASE LOGOUT

• Affo and Jesus Jones like this

#27 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:23 AM

Looks good, very professional.

• Jesus Jones likes this

#28 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:03 PM

I can't help you with different/other course selections (I have played less than 1/3 of the available PG courses), but I did notice that the Farmers Insurance event has Round 2 and 3 reversed.  One of the first two rounds is on the North Course and the other is on the South.  Both 3rd and 4th rounds are played on the South Course.

• jmk59 likes this

#29 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:16 PM

Rounds are currently listed in reverse order - R4 at the top and R1 at the bottom.

Since there are only four of these multi-course games per season, I could reverse the order if its less confusing.

• Armand likes this

#30 scrambler

scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

I have an old version of excel and I have been using GBVC for years, Will I be able to use your sim with my old version?

#31 Jesus Jones

Jesus Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for all your hard work on this program.

#32 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:51 PM

@Cloeks - all of the set-up info. in my 2019 spreadsheet could be used to update GBVC.

The schedule especially takes some time to gather all the needed parts.  I've got a separate spreadsheet with all 300+ PG1 courses, with the par for each hole listed.  A current roster (Oct 2018 WGR) is easy to find at the PGA site, along with the new FedEx Cup reseed rules.

The scoring graphs (above) can be turned into GBVC look-up tables if I gave you the curve fit numbers.  Armand posted a 2017 version of GBVC ( top of page) that he started doing this very type of update.  It turned into a great reference for things I couldn't easily find on the net.

#33 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for all your hard work on this program.

YW.

My predecessors, Mike Crof (GBVC) and Dave McDonagh (SIM08) from the LINKS2003 days laid the groundwork for these kinds of career simulations.  I'm trying to take the best of both, add in some of my graphics and science knowledge to provide something we all want.

Notice I didn't include code jockey in my skill set.  Deciphering the Macros in both, and re-assembling into something better is what's taking so long.  Everything is hardwired into the macros, not being user friendly for future tweaking.

• Jesus Jones likes this

#34 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:13 PM

Rounds are currently listed in reverse order - R4 at the top and R1 at the bottom.

Since there are only four of these multi-course games per season, I could reverse the order if its less confusing.

:lol:    No, the listing is fine ... it's the reader that is (was) confused!  

Notice I didn't include code jockey in my skill set.  Deciphering the Macros in both, and re-assembling into something better is what's taking so long.  Everything is hardwired into the macros, not being user friendly for future tweaking.

I know about trying to figure out what macros are doing - sometimes I even forget what the macros I write are doing!  I've been trying to add comments in all of mine so it's less of a memory exercise to figure out what should be happening.

#35 newboy26uk

newboy26uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

I had pretty much given up on JNPG as there was little likelyhood there was going to ever going to be a career mode. Out of curiosity came back to these forums to see if anything new had happened and stumbled across this update of the FedEx sim I used to use back in the Links days. Downloaded this new version and it looks like just what I am looking for. Unfortunately when i run it I find when I need to enter my first hole score nothing happens when I click the OK button. In the old version a player scorecard opened in which you could enter your hole score and then return to the leaderboard page until the message came up to enter your hole 2 score and so on. I'm assuming this still should work the same way or am I missing something. Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

#36 J_Schollmeyer

J_Schollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

Progress towards a working 2019 FedEx Career mod is getting closer - about two week away.  I've attached two pics to illustrate the new scoring methodology, and uploaded a working model of the first page (1 tab spreadsheet) that shows the 2019 schedule.  The upload is at the Recorded Rounds Mega site (logon info below) in the PG Career Mode folder.

• I put in a whole new scoring model based on the 2017 and 2018 FedEx seasons.  Look-up tables or graphs, one for par 5's, and another for par 3&4's are show below.  As a side note, the old GBVC (Greybeard) from LINKs2003 days also used something similar.

attachicon.gifPar5 Curves.jpg         attachicon.gifPar4 Curves.jpg

From the data:   field average for the season is ~71 and this is also the course average over a season.

Players are scoring ~1/3 strokes under par on the 5's and ~1/15 strokes above par on the 3's and 4's.

The player's skill model is based on Stroke Differential vs. the Field.  The best players are gaining ~2/15 strokes per hole over the field.

The end result is that the model should provide proper scores and numbers of eagles, birdies, and bogies for a tournament.  The data and averages are very consistent over the last 10 years.

• The spreadsheet I uploaded is a working copy of the Schedule page.  I need some feedback on better choices for the real courses that we don't have in PG1.  I haven't spent a lot of time on this aspect, so suggest better courses please.  Logon info is below.

LOGIN

Enter this email...

jnpgrecordings@gmail.com

and this password...

driveforshow

PLEASE LOGOUT

Can anyone tell me which files I have to download and to put into which folder to start a major or the FedEx season? Thank you in advance.

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

4GB RAM

Samsung SSD 840 Series

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (1GB RAM)

Samsung SyncMaster T260HD & T2770 (Resolution: 1920 x 1200)

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

#37 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:57 PM

Maybe he got hired by PP and has to work at their pace now. [sarcasm]

In truth, I had to take ~6 months off for health reason (cancer).  I'm back to myself now and getting back to work on the FEDEX career mod.  I'm stuck at the same "bug" in the program were the human player's scores won't record.  I need to figure this out to progress any farther.  Soon isn't soon enough because I want to play this too.

John

• xooze and Buck like this

#38 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

Hope your health is on the up and up John

• J_Schollmeyer, balaceanca81, jmk59 and 1 other like this

#39 ollybobbles

ollybobbles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:16 PM

I have downloaded the latest version of this simulator and it wont work straight away. I click the ' NAVIGATE TO MAIN MODULE' button and it gives me a run time error '68' Device unavailable.

Does anyone know why this would happen.

Also how are you going jmk59 with the finished article ... so looking forward to this.

Regards

#40 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

Olly,

I stopped work on my Career mode (60 Years of Majors , Main Module file), and started working to convert a FEDEX mod (last September).

The FedEx Mod is nearing beta.  My current version is on the main page of the MEGA site; file name is pgafedex2019.xlsm.  I'm updating the file on a daily basis now, but if you grab a copy, you can start testing some of the features.

When I'm satisfied that it can run through a full tournament, without error, I'll announce that it's open for testing and feed back.

John

• frank70 and Greensboronclion like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users