#41 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

Excellent DP.
I kind of had you in mind whilst doing the tutorial wondering how much further you would push out the boat.

#42 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:52 PM

I am interested in a video also!  Especially since your vids or so easy to follow/understand.

Can't wait!

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
32 GB DDR4 3000
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses: Bradford Links and Ironwood (not released yet)

#43 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:04 PM

this is very very nice

8700k @5GHZ

32GB Corsair DDR4-2133

Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

MSI GTX1080ti Armour

Custom water cooled loop

Synology DS918+ NAS drive 4x 10TB Archive Drives

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

#44 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:46 PM

If you couldn't see the little golfer in that pic you would think those 2 pics are just pics someone took out on the course. Just amazing.

#45 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

Thanks, I could really use some help on this.  I'm using GIMP and at best I'm able to clone a fourball out of the fairway or a tree here and there.

Getting the bunker edges at Chambers to match the overlay is a real pain in the butt.  You have sand in the grass or grass in the bunker and the bunker spline can't make all those sharp turns. I don't know what is the downside of cranking up the density of the gridfill in the layers library?

Hi, bunkers are full of shadows that have to be removed and making their edges sharp enough in PS isn't easy (and even 8192 resolution isn't accurate enough for that), so I would definitely recommend making bunkers the original way. Make bunkers few centimeters larger than they actually are and you wont have this problem.

And if you come to think of it, bunkers should be filled with one colour sand only also IRL so I can't really understand the point using overlay in there. And the edges are much better looking the original way.

You can see from Slewin's courses and from DPR's screen shots that edges aren't the way they should. It's just like you said: "You have sand in the grass or grass in the bunker and the bunker spline can't make all those sharp turns".

PS. When you have made bunker splines in CF the original way, you can even fill bunkers with grass texture in PS if you want to. Definitely no bad edges anymore. Still I would recommend only to do just a little larger bunkers to cover all the sand areas.

• highfade and DPRoberts like this

#46 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

After work, I'll post images to show both ways to do it. Pluses and minuses of each. Significantly more convenient to do with CF layer traditionally.

Very small benefit of overlay comes with more work. Can hide the white with correctly placed spline and wide enough library blends but as you've identified, risks of not looking right.

Small benefit is control of color placement. Can have internal of bunker be a varied shade darker for slightly more weathered result.

#47 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:13 PM

Yes, big waste type bunkers like on Chambers have a lot of color variation with dark wet spots etc.  I'm halfway though the videos but I thought I saw a overlay image with the splines on it. That would be most useful to paint or try to paint inside the lines

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  (beta)

#48 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 03:39 PM

You can put your view in Unity in ISO and screen shot your Bunker. Easiest to make a bunker layer pink or bright blue. Then snap image.

Paste into Photoshop and scale and then use that selection to paint inside.

It's one video I want to add.
  • highfade and NoPutt like this

#49 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:41 PM

This is by no means phenomenal but it should show that you can get a little more out of the overlay and hide the white of the bunker. In looking at these photos, I'm thinking if I can just create a jagged dirt layer, it could maybe fake the irregular edge. It all depends on the texture mapping...will fiddle a bit. Anyhow, a few terrain overlay method bunker images.

PXlUwrp.jpg

t2GX7b6.jpg

zz8BMmm.jpg

• RobC and Justin9926 like this

#50 uvmnick

uvmnick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:31 PM

This is really amazing! I've got A LOT to learn...

#51 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:29 PM

What are you guys doing in regard to reflective water releases? I know the patch can allow it, giving people options of with or without. I only have a single water plane for my course.  I really dig the reflective look and would like to release it that way but am in the 30-40s FPS dynamic on the tee on my laptop (Nvidia GTX960M). PRoS gets into the 50-60s range. Just wondering if more prudent to release without reflections. 

#52 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,051 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:36 PM

Matt, I don't have the patch but am curious, have you let a couple of testers try it out that do have the patch? If so, are they in the 30's and 40's too?

Also, if it plays nice and smooth for you in the 30's and 40's and it is indeed the reflections causing it, (meaning it's not something else that can be fixed)  I would release it.

If others can't play because they have subpar rigs then TOO BADDDDDDDDDDDD! Lol JJ

U.S. Army 79-85

In Progress: Tortolita/Wild Burro @ Dove Mountain AZ  https://www.thegolfc...vemountain.com/

Released Courses:

Real-Aronimink GC PA-Amana-Colonies GC IA

Fictional-The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

Acer Predator G3-710
Intel Icore5-6400 2.70Ghz Quad-Core
Win10 64-Bit
NVIDIA GTX1060 3GB Mem.
8gb DDR4 Mem.

#53 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:00 PM

You could always release one of each. That's what PP did with the DLC courses. One with reflective and one nonreflective. I believe that's what Mikahenrik did with Blackface Mountains also. I don't have the top-of-the-line machine, but have a I7 with a 970m Card and can play almost all of the courses with ultrahigh default settings and stay mainly above 40 FPS. If you're playing RTSM or controller you don't have the option of PRoS. For me when I'm playing RTSM once the frame rates drop below 35 it's just no longer fun or enjoyable to play. Now if you're only talking maybe like most courses having just two or three holes where it drops that's not too bad. But if its throughout the whole course that's another story. 

Justin

I'll probably spend more time just flying around your course admiring the scenery. Plus, if you manage to get Jimbobh Horse with the girl, everyone's going to be playing it with dynamic skies on :lol: 

• DPRoberts likes this

#54 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the input. When it gets to that stage, I'll run it through OGT for beta and see how people's machines are handling the reflective version.

It's easy enough to produce 2 versions if needed but that creates some carousel issues and multiplayer mistakes if people don't have the right versions.
  • RobC and Justin9926 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users