69 replies to this topic

#1 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:44 AM

Trying to show there's still more to learn with JNPG1 and CF. Using an 8k file with terrain overlay technique. The freedom of terrain painting in Photoshop is a joy for me. I use nondestructive techniques with masking that allow me to tweak and not worry about messing something up. Also, have much greater control over line striping direction. All my mow lines are "faux", meaning I've added them in Photoshop and grunged things up a bit as well.

Larrykuh provided me with several phenomenal terrain heightmaps and overlays. The heightmaps are one with vegetation and one without. This allows me to plant trees to LIDAR based heights.

Anyway, would be nice if I can stay committed and finish the project. The nicety of this build is that it is on a well manicured course with minimal peripheral planting to be had beyond some traditional structures. My larger water structure is also complete already as a waterpotty and I have very few bulkheads.

Hole 1 - Scioto Country Club, Columbus, Ohio - very early look

• highfade, Keith, balaceanca81 and 2 others like this

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:55 AM

Not sure if my connection or video quality but I can't see that one on YouTube like it appears on my laptop. A few screenies if that video doesn't show clearly.

B2pt7ii.jpg

EzfcMxy.jpg

lA3l5zF.jpg

• Keith, RobC, Justin9926 and 1 other like this

#3 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:55 AM

I really like those mow lines in the rough. Looking good.

#4 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:12 AM

Is that a curb on the cart path?

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#5 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:28 AM

Scioto and Crooked Stick in dev is good news.

Planting trees at an accurate height is dedication...I just use the eyeball test.

#6 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:08 AM

I like the curb too, did you use the array modifier in blender?

Or is that some sort of bunker lip alteration?

Great work DP.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#7 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:41 AM

been seeing you in the lobby window working on this course.

got me wondering when i will get a taste of the old stomping grounds.

pics look great.

• DPRoberts likes this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#8 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:01 PM

Path for the time being is a bunker variant. Creates the issue of what to do when 2 meet up. You can see that up by the ladies tee in that first image.

As there is a creek cutting through the entire course, I can probably push max vertices and avoid 2 paths intersecting with some creative liberties in Photoshop.

#9 KChavis

KChavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:23 PM

The textures/colors/grass look so realistic

• DPRoberts likes this

#10 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:15 AM

The textures/colors/grass look so realistic

Agreed.  Truly amazing how authentic that looks.

#11 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:14 AM

Love seeing some action on the boards. I really think it helps encourage us all along. Recent great images from highfade, Bortimus, RobC, jt83, and of course, MRose...
I have finished all my meshes, flattened and planted tees, and completed the Photoshop work for the terrain overlay. I have green smoothing, bunker touchups, pins, hazard outlines, trees and small structures and then I'll post a beta. Definitely progressing at a better rate than projects in the past. Trying to stay out of my own way...

Hole 2 from the Member Tees
PnuFCcq.jpg
  • Unique, highfade, bortimus and 3 others like this

#12 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 18 November 2018 - 05:15 AM

Looks great, are those mow lines on the tee boxes?  Just a question, I went to the Scioto website and they have a par 71 scorecard for the members and and par 70 scorecard for the championship tees where hole 8 plays as a par 4 instead of a 5.  What will be the par on your rendition?  Thanks.

RTSM - Pro

#13 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:47 PM

Yes, mow lines on the tees. I'm using this page for ideas on how it's manicured. You can see I'm going for similar tee boxes.

http://www.golftripp...o-country-club/

I'm going to have it play as a 71. Hole 8 has always ranked as one of the best holes in Ohio as a par 5. It's a nice risk reward hole as a 5 and the green complex is too brutal for a long 4, in my opinion.

#14 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:15 PM

Wow, these latest courses with the new overlay technique look amazing.

This one may be the best of all. Can't wait to play this beauty.

#15 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:15 PM

Not sure if my connection or video quality but I can't see that one on YouTube like it appears on my laptop. A few screenies if that video doesn't show clearly.

B2pt7ii.jpg

Holy cow dude - that looks fantastic!

Ohhhhhhh-K, I am headed off to go delete my current build because I am ashamed of it now LOL

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#16 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

Love seeing some action on the boards. I really think it helps encourage us all along. Recent great images from highfade, Bortimus, RobC, jt83, and of course, MRose...
I have finished all my meshes, flattened and planted tees, and completed the Photoshop work for the terrain overlay. I have green smoothing, bunker touchups, pins, hazard outlines, trees and small structures and then I'll post a beta. Definitely progressing at a better rate than projects in the past. Trying to stay out of my own way...

Hole 2 from the Member Tees
PnuFCcq.jpg

Truly, next level stuff!  Looks awesome DP.

Never thought of doing the PS part on a mask... :wacko:

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#17 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:46 AM

Doc, is this  the Scioto of Mr JW Nicklaus growing up fame?

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#18 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:30 AM

Doc, is this the Scioto of Mr JW Nicklaus growing up fame?

Yes, it is. It is located in Columbus, Ohio. It was also host to the 2016 US Senior Open.

https://www.usga.org...ourse-tour.html
  • mcthommo likes this

#19 slewin

slewin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:41 PM

So exciting to see guys use this technique and no doubt push it far beyond our capabilities.
Just gorgeous stuff DP
  • DPRoberts likes this

#20 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:55 PM

So exciting to see guys use this technique and no doubt push it far beyond our capabilities.
Just gorgeous stuff DP

Ha. Thanks. Not sure I'm really doing much beyond your great designs. You've really set the bar for the technique.

I don't know why but it wasn't until recently that I realized I could work in 8192*8192 for Unity. That was the key to getting the smaller lines to not look so pixelated.

Once I get to release of the course, I can post a few of the ways I'm handling the Photoshop file.

I've recently added tire tracks to the cart paths. Little tricks that aren't hard. Just have to take a few extra minutes to add some things and know a Photoshop trick or two. Really can break up some of the sterility of tiled textures.
  • Justin9926 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users