#261 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Anyone else have guesses as to why they wouldn't be using 3DG all over?

From what I can see from the BMWTrackman Coverage and YouTube videos they are....you just can't see it from flyover distance....Simple

#262 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,014 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:58 PM

From what I can see from the BMWTrackman Coverage and YouTube videos they are....you just can't see it from flyover distance....Simple

Thx - I think you're likely right after watching very closely a few more videos.

It is quite hard to pick out with the types of videos they've showcased.

It really seems aggressive with how quick it appears to fade out / turn off.

I'm surprised by this as I thought Turf Effects were supposed to be very performant.

GTX 1070+ GPUs should be more than enough horsepower to have a lot more grass I would have thought.

t5RboCE.png

• Joe Habiger likes this

#263 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Yeah on that screenshot you can see the grass cuts out after about 5 feet or something, questions why the grass was even used if you can't show it off more. It still comes down to performance really and if customers are complaining about performance than they either need to take it out of the course or cut down the density it shows.

• Buck likes this
  • Intel I7 3770k
  • Asus Sabertooth Z77
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
  • G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (PC3 19200)
  • Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • SeaSonic X750 Gold Power Supply
  • NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal Green Case with Green LED throughout
  • Corsair Hydro Series H100i Liquid Cooling
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#264 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,014 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Yeah on that screenshot you can see the grass cuts out after about 5 feet or something, questions why the grass was even used if you can't show it off more. It still comes down to performance really and if customers are complaining about performance than they either need to take it out of the course or cut down the density it shows.

I agree..

It also seems like in many sim setups, the user is probably barely even able to make out the 3DG from the distance they are at, and with the various ambient lighting and resolution combos in use.

LwavTVL.png
SQsj5WS.png
24X3141.png

#265 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:41 PM

I don't think TM or TGC are capable of making significant graphical changes once something new, like the grass, is discovered/available.

They have to wait for the next cycle if they do it at all. They also seem content not to take risks. From what I've seen, I think there is 1 course completed in the overlay style. If they put out an impressive looking 3DG course, would they go back and modify all existing courses?

TM is likely not a large development team is my guess. Probably 3 designers, including Mike.

Then, the UI isn't set to take course updates or is it? If a lot is manual delete and loading of courses, users will make mistakes and cost the help line time and money.

Looking back on the first grass tests, you guys helped push it to improve. Some have been able to incorporate it better than others.

We can test out on the masses without fear of mistakes. We have the luxury of a sandbox approach to design. Skunky can churn out 9 iterations of a course, add panos and 3DG without worrying about the impact on the user end.

They have to put out a consistent product with the thought of release and move on.
  • Buck likes this

#266 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,014 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:59 PM

Then, the UI isn't set to take course updates or is it? If a lot is manual delete and loading of courses, users will make mistakes and cost the help line time and money.

I think it's totally hands off and self updating, just as our stock installs (and courses) are.

From what I've seen, I think there is 1 course completed in the overlay style.

Which is that, just out of curiosity?

#267 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:50 PM

Hillwood CC. It was on a video with like 4 other courses. On the flyover, it has fairways that are colored like Winged Foot with half the fairway cut toward the tee and halfway away from the tee.
  • Buck likes this

#268 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,014 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:42 PM

Here's a HQ video from their Facebook in Feb 2020

Nice and easy to see the grass with the better quality vid

zl6phWY.png

#269 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:33 PM

Skunky can churn out 9 iterations of a course, add panos and 3DG without worrying about the impact on the user end.

Honestly I thought that was funny but at the same time very true, this is why we love Skunky!

I wish I had the drive he has, hell i'm lucky to release a course every two years and I have some great damn designs on my drive already imported. I am redoing Hazeltine slowly and I would like to do 3d grass and raised cart paths but I am taking one step at a time and even if that means just redoing textures, recoloring the trees and adding lots of rough buffer shapes so I can keep all the rough consistent looking from hole to hole then I will do that for now but I still want to release an update because I love that course so much.

• Intel I7 3770k
  • Asus Sabertooth Z77
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

#270 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:36 PM

Here's a HQ video from their Facebook in Feb 2020

Nice and easy to see the grass with the better quality vid

zl6phWY.png

Yes nice to see grass but you barely see it as it only extends maybe 5 feet before it fades out. That is not even worth my fricken time to add it if your going to do that crap. Again though it could be they were getting feedback that it was to hard on peoples $15 thousand dollar systems that they had to make some adjustments...lol

• Intel I7 3770k
  • Asus Sabertooth Z77
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users