80 replies to this topic

#21 balaceanca81

balaceanca81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:59 PM

I've been at WGT for over 7 years and play everyday few rounds...If you watch videos to earn credits you don't have to spend a dime..Just saying... ;)

#22 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

You would certainly know a lot more about swing device implementation than I would zmax, but it would appear to me that the quality of implementation can be scaled.  For example, the Phigolf/WGT package that JTee bought comes in at $250, and then requires a subscription fee of $1.99 a month for access to all 24 WGT courses.  I'm sure the swing parameters cannot be as intricately modeled with Phigolf swing stick as a Trackman launch monitor, but it seems like they've scaled that lesser degree of modeling into their subscription model.

I would be willing accept the degree of modeling I'm seeing in the videos of the Phigolf/WGT swing stick for $1.99 a month, while recognizing that I'm not going to get as high a degree of fidelity with it as I would get with a Trackman launch monitor.  It may be that you're not considering WGT to be "sim software" and that's why I might be offering an apples to oranges analogy here?  BTW, I would agree that in comparison, WGT isn't in the same class as JNPG in terms of simulation quality.

No, WGT can do $1.99 per month because they have lots of subscribers.  And also, WGT the game itself has many other ways to get your money.... lol

#23 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

This has definitely piqued my interest. I am certainly thinking about looking into it. I don't know much about WGT. I've maybe played it twice and didn't like the idea of in app purchases. But if this could be made to work with JNPG, that would really get me going. I probably would consider paying the kind of money Zmax is talking about, only if I can play the game well. I don't care about competing with others so much as I care about a somewhat realistic experience. It doesn't have to be perfect. I quit playing golf on my Oculus Rift because I never could get the swing down. Plus my Oculus Rift has tracking issues. I have a Quest too, but I haven't seen any golf games for it.

Checking into this could come as early as this weekend.

I just went over to WGT. I was able to get signed in but it won't let me play. Something about rental clubs expired. ??

Edited by bgast1, 19 November 2019 - 08:43 PM.

#24 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:32 PM

No, WGT can do $1.99 per month because they have lots of subscribers.  And also, WGT the game itself has many other ways to get your money.... lol

I can't make myself play WGT long enough to get irritated with its microtransactions. I don't like its swing interface at all... it just feels so "kludgy" to me.  Are there really that many people who play it!? I don't see much discussion about it, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#25 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:38 PM

This has definitely piqued my interest. I am certainly thinking about looking into it. I don't know much about WGT. I've maybe played it twice and didn't like the idea of in app purchases. But if this could be made to work with JNPG, that would really get me going. I probably would consider paying the kind of money Zmax is talking about, only if I can play the game well. I don't care about competing with others so much as I care about a somewhat realistic experience. It doesn't have to be perfect. I quit playing golf on my Oculus Rift because I never could get the swing down. Plus my Oculus Rift has tracking issues. I have a Quest too, but I haven't seen any golf games for it.

Checking into this could come as early as this weekend.

I just went over to WGT. I was able to get signed in but it won't let me play. Something about rental clubs expired. ??

I'll be curious to read your reaction to it if you do.  I'd just like to see how a golf game developed by a capable golf game design team with the Phigolf Swing Stick in mind could work.  The courses that are indigenous with the game look ghastly!  I've seen some from the course called Pebble 72 (which I originally mistook for "Pebble Beach") holes in videos and if you'd shown me any of them, I'd have thought they were vintage 1995.  

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#26 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:22 PM

I'll be curious to read your reaction to it if you do. I'd just like to see how a golf game developed by a capable golf game design team with the Phigolf Swing Stick in mind could work. The courses that are indigenous with the game look ghastly! I've seen some Pebble Beach holes in videos and if you'd shown me any of them and asked what course is being played, I couldn't have told you!

It wasn’t Pebbull Beech was it?

#27 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:25 PM

It wasn’t Pebbull Beech was it?

I mistook what they call "Pebble 72" for Pebble Beach... what's there is not supposed to be Pebble Beach, so I'll own my mistake on this one.  I'm pretty sure the Phigolf is more interested in building the Swing Stick and its supporting hardware and software, not creating award winning golf course graphics  :)

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#28 GolfGuy72_2000

GolfGuy72_2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:14 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many would be willing to pay $200-250 a year to be able to use Phigolf or similar device with JNPG or something similar?

I'd like a one-time purchase option, too :)

I already have a SkyTrak, but if something like this was out before I built my room, I totally would have gone for this as an entry point. Really cool device, kid-friendly, doesn't require space to swing a real club. Lots to like about it! Pairing it with quality software like JNPG would just about make it the ultimate golf video game experience.

And if TM is listening, they're probably working on a similar stick that will sell for $5k, their budget model...

• JTee1 likes this

#29 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:21 AM

I saw this somewhat disturbing question and answer in the Q&A section of the Phigolf Swing Stick/WGT package page on Amazon.com:

Q: Can the sensor recognize drawsvand fades?
A: When you use the swing trainer not so much, but when you put it in real club mode it’s more accurate.

It doesn't recognize draws and fades so much with the practice club!? :huh:  The main advantage for the swing stick in my case would be its need for less space, particularly overhead.  If it doesn't do a faithful job of producing the most common anomaly of a real golf swing, it's fighting a losing battle IMO.  JTee, is the responder to this question missing something here?  I'm trying to picture how the sensor design would be more likely to pick up fade and draw with a real club much more accurately than the practice club? 

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#30 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:32 AM

@JC

Isn't it referring to two different modes with the same device?

"Swing Trainer" sounds like the forgiving mode and maybe is designed to help you learn to swing correctly and not have to worry about draw/hook & fade/slice

Just a guess though..
  • JCat04 likes this

#31 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:39 AM

@JC

Isn't it referring to two different modes with the same device?

"Swing Trainer" sounds like the forgiving mode and maybe is designed to help you learn to swing correctly and not have to worry about draw/hook & fade/slice

Just a guess though..

Yeah, maybe so... but then again there's another question later similar to this one and a different person responding to it says they find it too easy to hit straight, whereas in real life they're not a very straight hitter.  Maybe there is some lack of clarity about trainer and real club mode?  I need to find some videos that better describe the setup and operation of this package, if indeed some do exists.

JTee, I noticed in watching your video again that there was never any side angle, sidespin, or swing tempo degree errors reported on the feedback panel.  Is this perhaps because you had it in Swing Trainer mode?  Is there a Swing Trainer and Real Club setting option available?  

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#32 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

I can't make myself play WGT long enough to get irritated with its microtransactions. I don't like its swing interface at all... it just feels so "kludgy" to me.  Are there really that many people who play it!? I don't see much discussion about it, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

WGT has 5,305,439 registered members and growing.  There is a big difference in the number of user id and actual members though. With multi accounters and inactive users.  They guesstimate there is 1,000,000 active members. 

With those numbers a $1.00 monthly transaction adds up.  To be clear Phi WGT has no microtransactions and I don't understand the attraction to WGT.  Especially when JNPG was $29 and clearly a better game.  For me currently it's the swing play that's the attraction.  I've tried the E6 software with limited courses and it ranks between JNPG and WGT.  E6 cost is $2500 and $300 to 600 a year on top of that.  I paid $200 for the tittle x device and the swing play is very similar to the Phi device.

You can have the best device out there, but marketing plays a huge role.  I'm sure JNPG made a chunk of change in their sale and was in their marketing plan along.  The good thing is we can still play the game, but if you want to play with a simulator you have to pay a fee.  Compared to E6 software its a bargain.  If i had room for a sim it would be a no brainer for me.  

#33 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:04 PM

WGT is on mobile also isn't it?

That alone is a complete game changer in terms of market size and revenue potential.
  • JTee1 likes this

#34 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:49 PM

WGT is on mobile also isn't it?

That alone is a complete game changer in terms of market size and revenue potential.

Yes it is. PC, android and IOS

#35 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

Email i received today fom the phigolf developers, I wonder what golf tittle it will be?

Hi Jeff!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We have been in contact with other golf software/games for a potential partnership and we look forward to launching one next year!

Please stay tuned..

Happy golfing!

Regards,

The Phigolf Team

#36 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:47 PM

Way too expensive for what it is, and WTG  ewww  :unsure:

• JTee1 likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#37 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:40 PM

WGT october revenue, wow.  Just don't see the draw to the game.  Marketing and the ability to jump on with ease and be in a pickup game in 30 seconds i guess. Plus buy your way to the top.   Phone tablet and now pc, with simulator and swing device to replace the click swing.  Definitely have all their bases covered.  I wonder how much their sales spike when your watching PGA golf and their ad shows up.  Free and then you lose all your balls and you pay money or pay with time by giving them add revenue.  I guess microtransactions pay off in the long run. 

I would rather just pay a monthly fee of 1.99 and get on with my round then watch ads.  At least Phigolf will be partnering with another golf title next year, but won't say which one.   :rolleyes:

wgt_zpsqkudorhn.jpg

#38 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:02 PM

WGT has 5,305,439 registered members and growing.  There is a big difference in the number of user id and actual members though. With multi accounters and inactive users.  They guesstimate there is 1,000,000 active members. 

I'm just floored over these numbers (and their revenue numbers in your subsequent post)!?  Here I am, an avid computer/video golf gamer of 38 years, and had no hint of the apparent popularity of this game!?  I tried it right after it was orginally released and it never did a thing for me.  I still think it has the kludgiest swing interface of any golf game I've played, although I will admit it's harder to master.  I kept trying it as various updates occured, but it never did a thing for me.  I'll admit it looks great in still pictures, and off the tee with the swing camera where it should be, but I can't say much for it beyond that :huh:   

At least with the Phigolf swing stick, you've got a new path from which to play the game, bypassing the WGT mouse method. ;)

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#39 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:37 PM

This just shows that there is demand for, and money to be made from, a golf game but one that approaches things from a different angle than we seem to care for here.

I really think the accessibility across a whole bunch of different platforms is a key component also.
  • JCat04 likes this

#40 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:48 PM

Email i received today fom the phigolf developers, I wonder what golf tittle it will be?

Hi Jeff!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We have been in contact with other golf software/games for a potential partnership and we look forward to launching one next year!

Please stay tuned..

Happy golfing!

Regards,

The Phigolf Team

Interesting reply you received there JTee.  Just trying to parse it they seem to be seeking a potential partnership, yet look forward to launching one next year.  I just wonder how far along they may or may not be in negotiating this?  If I had to pick out a likely suspect, it would be The Golf Club 2021, or whatever they plan to call their next title.  They're independent enough, and not beholding to other launch simulators, so that would be my guess.   I think it would be a great thing for both parties, although I don't see the Phigolf Swing Stick as becoming a big ticket item in the mainstream. 

I believe they're going to have to figure out a way to get the smartphone/android device out of the equation to make it work with consoles though.  Game console owners are into a hassle free, streamlined interface. 

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users