209 replies to this topic

#141 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 04:14 AM

Any controller you feel comfortable with... there are too many to just pick one.   Controllers are like your mouse for PC, whatever one feels right in your hand, comfort, performance,  etc etc etc.  

I figured that would be the case. I was looking online and they have some of them priced at $200.00. Can a controller really be that important?

#142 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 07 April 2023 - 04:20 AM

Yeah. I agree with everything you say slouis. That's what I want from a golf sim/game.

The career mode is just a long slog to get your golfer to the point that the playable real pro golfers in the game already have - so what's the point?

I'm coming from the realism angle as well. I did the 10 hour trial and tried really hard to set it up so I could get it to a realism standard.  (No grid putting was reasonable.)  I played Augusta at 'Simulation' difficulty for hours and got to a point where it did feel somewhat like you can use your 'golfer's nouse' to make it feel realistic.  But, of course, there's just too much crap going on (cams are atrocious) and I couldn't bring myself to play another course.  I would hit the wall very soon playing the EA thing.

So here's a list of what the EA thing hasn't got that PG does...

no replays  
can't see putt from opposite side
no instant gimmes
no practice areas
only 30 courses. (Yes Greens. It would get old very quickly)
no free cam
dodgy drops
no archived recordings
no lobbies
no smooth, efficient, realistic-ish multiplayer
no turn-based multi
no regular updates  (Fanboys keep saying wait for the patch. From EA?)
no real time mouse swing
no 3 Click
no (the other swing type) I forget what it's called.  
restricted post shot cams
no multi modes of play
And probably many others.

If you read this list which game would you tend to go for?

OK,  the EA thing has nice colourful graphics.
It has crowds - and I can tell you that they became a pain in the arse. Off they come!

While not quite 'garbage' it is still a nope from me. The only way I could tolerate the game is multiplay against  someone with the same hard set-up.  And I've got 75 minutes left on my trial and it won't connect to the EA servers.  Good luck with that.

Cool. Now I can buy a good Xbox game with my savings.

• JoeF, Jugador, Buck and 5 others like this

#143 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 04:09 PM

I figured that would be the case. I was looking online and they have some of them priced at $200.00. Can a controller really be that important?

I guess if you want to play the game in its current state, then yes...  from what I understand, there is no 3 click mouse yet..  it will be "added later" or something like that... 

• Buck likes this

#144 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 09:25 PM

Everyone do what you want with your own money, but I personally wouldn't reward EA with any cash for this offering -- at this point

(I say this as a PC player)

The PC version is an absolute resource hog and needs tons of optimization and patching and features added.

At least wait until the 3C is implemented ..

I really wish they'd try a Mouse Swing out also -- it could alleviate the frustrations and irritations many of us have with that laggy and slow controller swing.

• Jugador, RobV and Ted_Ball like this

#145 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 07 April 2023 - 09:29 PM

Hi Ted, thanks for the info about EA PGA Tour 2023.  Looking at your list of "no's" I am very surprised that a game released in 2023 wouldn't have a feature as basic as replays.  If I remember correctly, PG has 9 replay cameras.  I was hoping that it would have some type of real time mouse swing and  think that RTSM is the absolute best mouse swing on any PC golf  I have played.  

I live in Canada and the game is priced on Steam at $90 CAD.  I haven't heard from my friend yet about EA's game and will also be checking with  another guy I know about the game.

It appears that even though PG is now almost 10 years old that it is still the best PC golf game available if your priority is realism.  I don't play it much anymore because no matter how good the game it needs some updates to give it renewed life.  If PG were to add an avatar creator, expand it's saved game option and tweak the effects of crosswinds and lies I would be back playing it in a flash.

• JoeF, Buck and Ted_Ball like this

RTSM - Pro

#146 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 09:40 PM

It appears that even though PG is now almost 10 years old that it is still the best PC golf game available if your priority is realism.  I don't play it much anymore because no matter how good the game it needs some updates to give it renewed life.  If PG were to add an avatar creator, expand it's saved game option and tweak the effects of crosswinds and lies I would be back playing it in a flash.

It's a real shame that PG is "trapped" under the Trackman ownership, especially as they've moved onto a newer version anyhow.

I wish PG1 could somehow be liberated and opened up for modding and tweaking and further development by someone

We still play 2 rounds of PG every night ... just so simple and fun, yet powerful

RTS-M is just amazing -- Best swing in any golf game -- ever

• JoeF, RobV, SReesor and 1 other like this

#147 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 09:49 PM

I guess if you want to play the game in its current state, then yes...  from what I understand, there is no 3 click mouse yet..  it will be "added later" or something like that... 

Well there is not much that I can do about it now. So, I have no idea whether one of them expensive controller will be my cup of tea or not. I have an x-box controller and a PS4 controller. They probably will have to do. 

Hey Buck, now that you say Trackman has moved on, has anyone tried to get PG opened up for modding? Or is it just Trackman running scared of competition. 

#148 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 08 April 2023 - 10:55 PM

Hey Buck, now that you say Trackman has moved on, has anyone tried to get PG opened up for modding? Or is it just Trackman running scared of competition. 

I think Trackman would have to "allow it", and since even the newer version of PG they are working with now is very heavily based upon PG1 code, I'm guessing it will stay forever trapped underneath Trackman.

They bought the IP after all -- and are still using and building off of it.

I think we're SOL sort of forever, unless they moved onto something totally different or maybe "different enough" one day.

I wish they'd release a PC playable version of what they are using for Sims -- I don't need any special modes or careers or anything ... happy to pay also!

Maybe it could be seen as a gateway to their Sim ecosystem?

#149 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 01:23 AM

Maybe it could be seen as a gateway to their Sim ecosystem?

Interesting thought

#150 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 03:35 AM

This new EA game is very difficult to play for me. 

#151 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 03:36 AM

This new EA game is very difficult to play for me.

It’s very difficult to enjoy for me
  • Mic Fleetwood likes this

#152 GodZilla

GodZilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 09 April 2023 - 11:02 AM

i put my 10 hours in and I know the good and bad. I wouldn't buy for PC yet. No mouse swing or click, crazy EA. The game requires a top end PC rtx3070 or better or you get hiccups in your frames. Maybe they will patch it, to be more lightweight. Anyway the courses are fantastic realistic playing, but the game is more of a auto golf mentality design. Hitting your shot is easy but your stats determine the outcome. This is the opposite of Perfect Golf were you are in total control of your outcome. The cameras are total garbage and so are the laggy menus. I won't be getting this until i see a good mouse control system implemented. TW08 on PC has what this needs for mouse controls. Also the courses from Rory PGA are ports and it shows but the new built ones are in my opinion better than anything out there. 

• Jugador, Buck and Ted_Ball like this

#153 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 04:40 PM

Remember friends...  NEVER believe any hype from EA...  no matter how good the games look!  

• Jugador, Buck and Ted_Ball like this

#154 GodZilla

GodZilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 09 April 2023 - 09:39 PM

i will get this eventually, i want to test the swing system and physics. I was playing at Bandon Dunes hit a shot off the tee it went OB, so i clubbed down hit again it went in the same OB spot. I did this for times changing the club and swing power and still went OB in the same place. I couldn't believe it. This is probably why there's no driving range because it would be obvious seeing the same outcome over and over again.

• Buck likes this

#155 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 09:50 PM

...but the game is more of a auto golf mentality design. Hitting your shot is easy but your stats determine the outcome. This is the opposite of Perfect Golf were you are in total control of your outcome.

That right there is why I'm not going to buy it unless it's on an extreme discount at some point.

I don't like their approach to the gameplay design

#156 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 01:10 AM

Usually, I disagree with most of the complaints on the various golf games. But this game completely sucks. I can't believe that EA Sports had the nerve to release this game. There seems to be no way whatsoever to control and approach shot. Is Trackman somehow associated with this game?

• Buck and RobV like this

#157 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 03:26 AM

Is Trackman somehow associated with this game?

I believe I heard in one of the game play videos before release that they do use Trackman for all of the data.. ball flight, distance, apex tracking, etc etc.   So, yes Trackman is associated with this game in one form or another.. 

#158 GodZilla

GodZilla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 10 April 2023 - 07:38 AM

The fools.

They've hired the bloke who did the TGC1 golfer with the hunchback and stumpy legs.  

stance.png

WTF ?!

And all the crap on the screen. Geeesuss

you got me thinking, EA vs 2K animation. This is a complete joke of work from EA.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Buck likes this

#159 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 10 April 2023 - 10:22 PM

they only bought the rights to use the trackman data.trackman is not involved otherwise.

• Buck likes this

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#160 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 01:35 AM

You've reminded me Skunky...

Add to the list..

No course creator!