#1 lefty1948

lefty1948

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:50 AM

Any estimate as to the ETA of the Unity 5 update?

#2 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:20 AM

According to a post MJ made a few weeks ago, the development team was hoping to have the majority of the conversion completed by about this time.  I don't know if  that is on track or if other little bugs/delays have crept up (I would suspect some have).  Even if they are on track, the build would be sent to a small group of testers before it is released to the rest of us in Early Access.  Therefore, my guess would be another 1 to 3 weeks (and probably closer to 3 weeks), depending how many glitches need to be corrected.

#3 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

Just FYI.

The BETA branch testers (the ones who get the build for final testing before it goes out to the community) have not yet received the new U5 updated build, so don't expect anything anytime soon.

;) ;)

#4 Rehit

Rehit

Curmudgeon

• Administrators
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

it is being worked on constantly.
one of the things that is taking a large amount of time is the rebuilding of all of the courses in the early access release.

they have to be re textured and replanted with the new trees among other things.

• Greensboronclion likes this

#5 marts30

marts30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

one of the things that is taking a large amount of time is the rebuilding of all of the courses in the early access release.

they have to be re textured and replanted with the new trees among other things.

I'm sure it will be worth the extra wait for that

#6 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:07 PM

That has to be a very time consuming process and the look of these courses could be quite different if I am reading into it correctly. Great stuff and it will be well worth the wait for the finished product.

#7 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:51 PM

I am an expert gardener - only too glad to help if required - I've got my spade all cleaned and ready . . . LOL

#8 marts30

marts30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:39 AM

Interested to see how the new putting works, I don't really like using motion swing for putting. In real life you hit the ball where you're aiming it, the chance of error is far less but at the moment the penalty is the same as all other shots.

I'd like to use motion swinging for everything else, and a simple click to start putt backswing then click again to start the follow through at desired length.

Missing short putts because of a bad swing isn't that realistic, it should be more about the read. It's hard to watch the meter and do a straight swing at the same time.

#9 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:53 AM

Interested to see how the new putting works, I don't really like using motion swing for putting. In real life you hit the ball where you're aiming it, the chance of error is far less but at the moment the penalty is the same as all other shots.

I'd like to use motion swinging for everything else, and a simple click to start putt backswing then click again to start the follow through at desired length.

Missing short putts because of a bad swing isn't that realistic, it should be more about the read. It's hard to watch the meter and do a straight swing at the same time.

Really?

I've missed plenty of putts IRL over the years due to a bad stroke, lol.

:P

#10 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:01 AM

Yeah. The only information about the update that i didn't like was the hint that putting straight will be easier after the update. I thought it was perfect as it is. Pros have to concentrate on 5 footers. Even they push it or pull it sometimes - playing it straight all the time isn't easy.

I would love the developers to implement aids for the putting as well (seperated from the swing aids).

Right now it is too easy to judge the distance. It would be sad, if they correct this and in the same time dumb down the putting by making it too easy to play it straight.

#11 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

Yeah. The only information about the update that i didn't like was the hint that putting straight will be easier after the update. I thought it was perfect as it is. Pros have to concentrate on 5 footers. Even they push it or pull it sometimes - playing it straight all the time isn't easy. I would love the developers to implement aids for the putting as well (seperated from the swing aids). Right now it is too easy to judge the distance. It would be sad, if they correct this and in the same time dumb down the putting by making it too easy to play it straight.

I think the putting dept in PG still needs work. For me, the standard on this still is Links03/Mod1.07. I still play every week 10 years straight now, on elite level with the RTS. On that level there is no grid, just the BLI. In my opinion they nailed it. It's perfect. 99.9% true. The fella's at PG should not go wondering off trying to reinvent the wheel on this. Stick as close as possible to Links on this and all will be well. Once the Ani is connected and the Ani figure c.q. camera positions is perfected/enhanced PG should be the new norm.

• Arsam and Mailman like this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:36 PM

I think the putting dept in PG still needs work. For me, the standard on this still is Links03/Mod1.07. I still play every week 10 years straight now, on elite level with the RTS. On that level there is no grid, just the BLI. In my opinion they nailed it. It's perfect. 99.9% true. The fella's at PG should not go wondering off trying to reinvent the wheel on this. Stick as close as possible to Links on this and all will be well. Once the Ani is connected and the Ani figure c.q. camera positions is perfected/enhanced PG should be the new norm.

Work has already been done from what we are currently using. This has been confirmed in the post that PP put on Steam on 3rd May.

All new putting physics incorporating skid on leaving the putter which again adds to the reality of the putts. We also have fixed the high speed launch issue and have adjusted the putting distance control to be more user controlled rather than having the distance to the hole 'preset' on the swingmeter. This will make judgement of distance much more difficult and to compensate we have reduced the direction penalty for missing the snap on putts. {Complete}

No doubt many comparisons will be made of this new putting mechanic to the old methods of TW and Links, which many see as the benchmark, so we'll have to wait and see if PP have cracked it this time around.

;)

#13 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:38 PM

good stuff--im a MS and love it--I have no prob with putting the way it is --except for the flaw in some cups acting weird when ball sud drop in --the biggest thing I want to see is doing away with that swing circle for MS'RS --it is distracting and not necessary--

enjoyed this topic posts !!:)

#14 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

I agree what others are saying about the putting right now.

I think the frustration is that the penalties on mishits are just as severe for putting as they are for the other shots which isn't realistic at all.

How often do you see a pro completely shank a putt and have it go 50 degrees right or left right off the face of the putter?

They don't.

I'd just like to see the mishit penalty reduced a lot for a putt, especially since shortly we'll be having to gauge speed and distance more as well.
  • worrybirdie likes this

#15 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

How often do you see a pro completely shank a putt and have it go 50 degrees right or left right off the face of the putter?

I've never seen anything like this at all ?

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:32 PM

I've never seen anything like this at all ?

Really?  I'll try to remember to do a replay/record next time I see it

#17 marts30

marts30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

Yeah, that was my point. You're using a flat stick with a minimal slow backswing, it should be very hard to completely shank it off line, short putts are missed by very small margins so that should exist in the game too. 

#18 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:12 AM

Missing short putts because of a bad swing is not realistic? My friend a good putting stroke is essential for making putts in real life and this game and to say it's not is what is not realistic. Take it from someone who's real life putting issues have held me back from being a scratch golfer in real life.

#19 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:18 AM

I agree what others are saying about the putting right now.
I think the frustration is that the penalties on mishits are just as severe for putting as they are for the other shots which isn't realistic at all.
They don't.
I'd just like to see the mishit penalty reduced a lot for a putt, especially since shortly we'll be having to gauge speed and distance more as well.

I have over 200 hours playing this game with MS swing and have never shanked a putt or missed by as much as you are saying and have not heard anyone I have discussions with say they have either. I play Min aids and even at Pro I have not seen this. even Pro players miss shorts putts by the way also.

#20 marts30

marts30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:26 AM

It's more the length of the swing needed for a putting stroke at the moment, it should not be as long as needed for a drive or iron shot - the movement should be shorter and more subtle which would make the 'shank' putts less common. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users