#41 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

Can you explain what you mean about the differences between PG and Links regarding the BLI. Personally, I'm not aware of them really having any differences and am curious about what I may be missing. Thanks!

Richard as far as break it's pretty much spot on but on left to right putts with a lot of break you have to switch to a driver to see that break as the Ani is in the way and was not in Links. Also on a lot of putts you can't see the ball going to and finishing at the hole as the Ani blocks it which doesn't give you a good read on what you missed reading the putt. You can do a reverse replay to see that but that's extra work you don't need to do. The good news is that it is a minor fix that will be taken care of and it will be fantastic when done. As for the bad news well the good news is that there is no bad news.

#42 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

I'm fortunate to be able to run the game on ultra high and sliders all at their maximum.  I generally can see the breaks without the BLI or grid - just by looking at the 2D screen.  Yes, it's not quite as it is in real life on a green, but I am quite satisfied with my putting without these aids.  Sometimes the green textures or colours don't lend themselves to be easily read.  I find all/most of MJ's courses to be difficult to read putts without aids, especially in Links.  I find Shadowlands and Crystal Pines in PG a bit easier to read, but I think it also helps using the follow cam (I didn't use that in Links).  My eyes must be deteriorating, because I struggle to see the ball in PG unless I make it larger than life or put on the tracer (of which, I'm not a big fan).

One thing I've noticed (and it must be coincidence) is that I have probably 90% breaks going from right to left and maybe 10% the other way.  Has anyone else noticed similar? 

#43 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:30 PM

Richard as far as break it's pretty much spot on but on left to right putts with a lot of break you have to switch to a driver to see that break as the Ani is in the way and was not in Links. Also on a lot of putts you can't see the ball going to and finishing at the hole as the Ani blocks it which doesn't give you a good read on what you missed reading the putt. You can do a reverse replay to see that but that's extra work you don't need to do. The good news is that it is a minor fix that will be taken care of and it will be fantastic when done. As for the bad news well the good news is that there is no bad news.

Thanks for the explanation. I know and have experienced the same. I view the issue as a 'camera' issue rather than a BLI issue. I've reported it as a 'bug' previously along with screenshots. I'm confident that it will be resolved in future updates. Who knows, maybe even the next one.

2ywveqo.jpg

Richard

Posted Image

#44 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

I think the GA helps too much. It's almost like setting your putting and approach shots on auto-pilot.  I think a grid and BLI are enough for Perfect Golf.  Anything more (IMHO) is helping the golfer with too much information around the green.

Putting on 'auto-pilot' with the GA?? I don't know about that Crusher. Try it out with RTS-elite and you'll never trust your AP again.. :D

• Greensboronclion likes this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#45 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCounty Durham, UK

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

Can you explain what you mean about the differences between PG and Links regarding the BLI. Personally, I'm not aware of them really having any differences and am curious about what I may be missing. Thanks!

The biggest difference is that the barber pole incorporates a thermometer (yellow) which tells you the severity of the slope whereas PG's version just uses the length of the white/grey line.  You will also notice that the Links white directional line is the same length irrespective of the slope.  The 2 shots from Links show a severe uphill slope (slightly L2R as well) close to the ball and just a slight L2R break by the hole.  The main issue from my perspective is the quality of PG's white line and the fact that you sometimes cannot see just how big the line is as shown in the PG shot.  (Both sets taken from Shadowlands Hole 3)

Untitled_Comparison_PGv_Links.jpg

• Charles likes this

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#46 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

The biggest difference is that the barber pole incorporates a thermometer (yellow) which tells you the severity of the slope whereas PG's version just uses the length of the white/grey line.  You will also notice that the Links white directional line is the same length irrespective of the slope.  The 2 shots from Links show a severe uphill slope (slightly L2R as well) close to the ball and just a slight L2R break by the hole.  The main issue from my perspective is the quality of PG's white line and the fact that you sometimes cannot see just how big the line is as shown in the PG shot.  (Both sets taken from Shadowlands Hole 3)

Untitled_Comparison_PGv_Links.jpg

Thanks for this very good reply Andy. Well made. The Links BLI is superior in every way I feel. I play with no grid in Links (due to the elite level) and have only the BLI to use during actual play (the GA can be used to study breaks and lines but is not an in-game tool). The Links BLI is a GREAT feature, with the yellow bar indicating slope severeness. PG should just copy it. Period.

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#47 Arsam

Arsam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

Yes Andy, that is an excellent example of the shortcomings of the PG BLI. I know the development team want to go in new and hopefully better directions, but sometimes it's best not to try to redesign the wheel.
  • Charles likes this

RTS-Mouse Swing, Pro Level, BLI

HP Pavilion 790-0025T Minitower Gaming PC
Intel Hexa-Core i7-8700 cpu @ 3.2 GHz (Turbo up to 4.6 GHz), 12 MB Cache
64-bit Operating Sys​tem, x64 Based Processor
400 Watt Power Supply
16 GB DDR4-26666MHz 2-DIMM Memory
NVidia GeForce GTX1060 3GB Gaming Graphic Card

DELL D3218HN 31.5" Full HD LED Back-Lit HDMI Monitor, 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz  Maximum Resolution, 4,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

Windows 10 Home Edition, 64 bit - DirecrX v.12.0

#48 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

well i'm sorry - and no i never used the links BLI so what should I know - BUT a vector is just that - it has magnitude and direction, having at first been hugely sceptical of this BLI thing I now love it and the idea of having a fixed length line and temperature bar instead of true vector representation makes me shudder!!! indeed if it is possible to incorporate such a version as an 'option' I have no problem with it but please PG - let's stick to a true vector in the default instance and leave the cartoon version to the non-techies and previous users of the links thing who have past familliarity and fondness for it.

thx 

#49 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:49 PM

For me, they're both fine. I can read the greens the same with both meters.
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#50 erwildcat

erwildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationPiedmont North Carolina

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:05 AM

Thanks for this very good reply Andy. Well made. The Links BLI is superior in every way I feel. I play with no grid in Links (due to the elite level) and have only the BLI to use during actual play (the GA can be used to study breaks and lines but is not an in-game tool). The Links BLI is a GREAT feature, with the yellow bar indicating slope severeness. PG should just copy it. Period.

Amen! JUST COPY IT-it's a GREAT FEATURE!

ASUS Microsoft Windows 11 Home, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 6 Core(s),  (RAM) 16.0 GB

#51 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:18 AM

For me, they're both fine. I can read the greens the same with both meters.

Same for me.  

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#52 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:55 AM

well i'm sorry - and no i never used the links BLI so what should I know - BUT a vector is just that - it has magnitude and direction, having at first been hugely sceptical of this BLI thing I now love it and the idea of having a fixed length line and temperature bar instead of true vector representation makes me shudder!!! indeed if it is possible to incorporate such a version as an 'option' I have no problem with it but please PG - let's stick to a true vector in the default instance and leave the cartoon version to the non-techies and previous users of the links thing who have past familliarity and fondness for it.

thx 

You can make the point that both implementations are cartoonish.  After all in IRL you don't see a huge barber pole or a variable vector-thingy (VVT).  The trouble with the VVT is that you cannot always see the length of the thingy as my screenshot showed.

But I do agree with your wish for both implementations to be available then everyone will be happy.  ATM I can safely say I'm not but that is just my personal point of view.

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#53 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

Mike just posted this in the Steam discussion group regarding the pending update.

http://steamcommunit...958868364195087

• IanK and robbiet71 like this
Richard

Posted Image

#54 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:50 PM

Putting on 'auto-pilot' with the GA?? I don't know about that Crusher. Try it out with RTS-elite and you'll never trust your AP again.. :D

Thank goodness PP will not be making a Green Analyzer for PG.  These guys do not believe in handing the ball to the player in such a way that he can practically drop it in the hole from any location on a course. B) :D :rolleyes:

β›³                          πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                             πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ                              β›³

xqc8g0-2.png

πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                                                       πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

β›³                          πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                             πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ                              β›³

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#55 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

Thank goodness PP will not be making a Green Analyzer for PG.  These guys do not believe in handing the ball to the player in such a way that he can practically drop it in the hole from any location on a course. B) :D :rolleyes:

I have little faith that a Green Analyzer will make its way into PG.  But I have to say that there is a small (and talented) band of individuals that play decent enough golf in Links without either BLI or Green Analyzer (GA) or a Grid.  In Links I can use either method (BLI or GA) with the same level of accomplishment  to a reasonable standard but the notion that I (or many others) can 'practically drop it into the hole from any location on a course' when using the Links Green Analyzer does not tally with my experience in Links.

I find it curious why the concept of putting with a grid and/or BLI  remains perfectly acceptable but the use of a Green Analyzer (rather than an overlay grid) is somehow seeking an unfair advantage.  With the Links GA I have no means of aiming within that GA view because of the difficulty level I play at in Links.  I cannot either aim in the Topcam view nor aim in the GA view.  Other easier difficulty levels can.    

Like I said I have heard nothing from the PG development team to suggest that a Links-style GA will ever be incorporated so the point is moot anyway. 

#56 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 24 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

As a powerstroker, there is no way I can drop it into the hole from anywhere, using the BLI, GA or even divine intervention  ;)

I certainly hope that all styles of play will be catered for eventually, but until we see a horizontal motion swing, I will be sticking to Links  <_<

Posted Image

#57 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:27 AM

When a 'horizontal' swing arrives in PG (and I assume there will be one sometime in the future), I'll be switching to it.  For now, though, I am really enjoying shaping shots with the 'vertical' swing.  It does seem a tiny bit arcade-like to me, but I find it much more immersive than 3-clicking.   Links is a great game, but I guess I've tired of it - haven't played but a half-dozen rounds in the last four years.  I guess you could think of the present PG similar to Links '97 (when it comes to swing methods only!).

I think the mention of the Green Analyzer is being confused with the Putting Assistant in Amateur Mode.  They are not even close to the same thing!

• Mailman likes this

#58 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

I think the mention of the Green Analyzer is being confused with the Putting Assistant in Amateur Mode.  They are not even close to the same thing!

By jove you may be right.  Yes I remember my wife using it (the putting assistant) when Links first came out - and yes she was able to drop the ball easily into the hole from almost anywhere  :(

#59 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

JUST BLOODY WELL WAIT

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#60 Jimmy

Jimmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationUK, Cheshire

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:14 AM

JUST BLOODY WELL WAIT

haha +1 im doin 18 irl this morning while the weathers nice:-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users