#41 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

I am running and testing this Alpha on my Windows XP, Service Pack 3 and it seems to run/perform correctly. Does this mean that the Beta/Final game will run on XP?

Jerry

• Erik Lugris likes this

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#42 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for your help Larry and Mike. I've done what you've both suggested and neither idea worked. I've even tried dl it again to no avail.

(I'm using windows 7 64 bit)

I run Windows 64Bit and can log in without problem.  I am not sure what to suggest.  It works.  It requires an internet connection  I am not aware if it makes a difference but make sure you capitalize uname and pwd correctly

• Erik Lugris likes this

#43 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

I am running and testing this Alpha on my Windows XP, Service Pack 3 and it seems to run/perform correctly. Does this mean that the Beta/Final game will run on XP?

Jerry

I see no reason why game will not run on XP.  Only the terrain importer will not because it uses .Net 4.5 which MS have not supported on XP

• Erik Lugris likes this

#44 J_Schollmeyer

J_Schollmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Excuse my dumb question because I'm no designer only a player. Do I have to install Unity 3D to run Perfect Golf Physics Alpha Test? I can reach the main screen but nothing is happening if I hit the hot keys.

Juergen

Do I need to install Unity 3D?

Juergen

• Erik Lugris likes this

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

4GB RAM

Samsung SSD 840 Series

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (1GB RAM)

Samsung SyncMaster T260HD & T2770 (Resolution: 1920 x 1200)

Windows 7 (64 Bit)

#45 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

A few comments/questions after a small amount of time spent checking out this Physics Alpha Test.

Hard to judge actual bounce/roll physics without a follow cam.

Find it disconcerting that whenever you try to change the settings and move your mouse, it sets the cameras moving and spinning about. Is there a way to stop that from happening.

Can't understand why the ball height as it is rolling on the fairway shows negative numbers (i.e. -10.8572). Not to mention using a driver on a fairway, it only reaches 10-11 meters in height off the tee, doesn't seem very high to me.

WOW! Tried one drive with 0% ball friction, drive went 285m in air rolled to 425m before rolling to and fro all over the fairway before stopping at 301m, once again that seems way wrong even on super dry conditions.

• Erik Lugris likes this

#46 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hi Mav, use the M key to set the camera...

• Erik Lugris likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#47 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Larry...that solved my problem

• Erik Lugris likes this

#48 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Do I need to install Unity 3D?

Juergen

No

• Erik Lugris likes this

#49 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

A few comments/questions after a small amount of time spent checking out this Physics Alpha Test.

Hard to judge actual bounce/roll physics without a follow cam. You can use the wasd keys to move around to the landing position.  In addition after hitting the ball you can move along with it using these keys or an xbox controller. 

Find it disconcerting that whenever you try to change the settings and move your mouse, it sets the cameras moving and spinning about. Is there a way to stop that from happening.  You can turn off the mouse movement.  If you look at the info screen which is also available at the top of this topic the M key will do this.

Can't understand why the ball height as it is rolling on the fairway shows negative numbers (i.e. -10.8572). Not to mention using a driver on a fairway, it only reaches 10-11 meters in height off the tee, doesn't seem very high to me.  Ball Height is relative to its starting position.  If you hit from a tee that is 30ft in the air and land on a fairway the height will be -30    If we did it based on the lowest point the height of the shot would start at 30 when the ball was on the ground which seemed to make less sense to us.

WOW! Tried one drive with 0% ball friction, drive went 285m in air rolled to 425m before rolling to and fro all over the fairway before stopping at 301m, once again that seems way wrong even on super dry conditions. Friction or roll friction? If roll friction is 0 then there is nothing to stop the ball when it is rolling.  Roll friction of zero is not super dry conditions it is in space.  If you mean friction then this would be unexpected and we will investigate because friction should have no impact on a ball rolling around.  If you can post a screenshot or even better a movie showing this it will really help.

• Erik Lugris likes this

#50 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Just spent a little time testing the sand properties. I found the reaction to the ball hitting  a downslope in a bunker to be highly unrealistic. Lowering the viscosity a touch helped, but the fact that the ball roll friction set to maximum still can't stop a ball rolling down a slope seems to indicate that the engine, as it is, is flawed. I could be missing something, as many variables affect others, but the ball roll friction definitely feels inadequate to me.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#51 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Maybe we should, in the interest of order, have a section pinned with headings for example,

Driving, pitching, chipping, putting, sand trap, ball flight and reactions and of course a General Discussion area, etc etc.. Or something to that effect, keeping it simple though.

Then each of us could post a problem under those headings.. Might keep this topic easier to understand/read to  see what others have already tested and reported on, so we don't repeat to much.. Just a thought..

• Nemesis and Maineah like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#52 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

Just spent a little time testing the sand properties. I found the reaction to the ball hitting  a downslope in a bunker to be highly unrealistic. Lowering the viscosity a touch helped, but the fact that the ball roll friction set to maximum still can't stop a ball rolling down a slope seems to indicate that the engine, as it is, is flawed. I could be missing something, as many variables affect others, but the ball roll friction definitely feels inadequate to me.

I guess this is why it as an ALPHA release.

The settings work to a degree, but will require some more fine tuning.

MJ stated earlier in this thread.......

Ball roll friction bug - the ball fails to stop rolling on slopes no matter what the roll friction values are set to

I guess this is what you are experiencing Lez.

;)

#53 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

@ Dazmaniac - my memory is really struggling! I definitely read that post this morning!!  :unsure: 

I blame the hot weather........ it's not me!!  :lol: 

Other odd things happen though -  I had balls that bounced into rough, then landed in sand would roll up a steep bunker slope and stop, but the balls that hit the sand directly and rolled up the same slope would always roll back down.

• Erik Lugris likes this

#54 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

I see no reason why game will not run on XP.  Only the terrain importer will not because it uses .Net 4.5 which MS have not supported on XP

Thanks Andrew. So I will be able to play the game but not be able to design courses. I can live with that then.

Jerry

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#55 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Andrew, thank you for your responses to my comments/questions. They opened my eyes to a few things as the testing terminology is physics related and not exactly golfing related, so things are becoming a little bit easier to understand. Shame there isn't some terminology definitions available. For example, I know what a fade or a draw is but, had no idea it is caused by the axis spin of a ball in physics terms...took awhile to discover something that some terminology definitions would have explained.

I tried to take a Fraps video of the shot, Fraps didn't work...any recommendations as to a free video capture that works with this software.

Your example of the friction reaction I described as "space", is like a vacumn, nothing to stop the balls momentum...sure would be helpful if we had some guidelines, like what is the normal friction setting for a ball in the air, how would it chnage for rainy conditions or hot with high humidity, otherwise we are testing the physics as it relates to golf like a blind man. Just as where would be the settings in a game for wet, dry, very dry greens or fairways.

Right now this piece of software appears geared for designers and software geeks and not the average game player like myself,, so I'm going to back away because of lack of information and direction of what we are actually trying to accomplish here. In some ways this game physics testing is also geared for expert players, since we don't have distances available for aiming targets etc.

It was a great idea though to release this software...sure shut up some of us on the lack of information coming from PP as we all fiddle about with this software.

For me I'll wait for a game beta test to come out sometime next year.

• Erik Lugris likes this

#56 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

...sure would be helpful if we had some guidelines, like what is the normal friction setting for a ball in the air, how would it change for rainy conditions or hot with high humidity, otherwise we are testing the physics as it relates to golf like a blind man. Just as where would be the settings in a game for wet, dry, very dry greens or fairways.

I believe that this is exactly one of the points of this alpha - a chance for us all to figure out for ourselves what we consider the settings should be for the types of scenarios you have suggested, so that they can be incorporated into the game.

I don't believe there IS a friction setting for a ball in the air. I believe the first friction setting is actually the affect at ground impact.

#57 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:20 AM

Thanks for your help guys. Got it to work.  It would only work on my old password. :huh:

• Erik Lugris likes this

#58 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

Thanks for putting this out there for us guys. Just saw this a little earlier today. Will begin playing with it, and appreciate the opportunity to do so!

• Erik Lugris likes this
Ken

#59 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks, great tool!

First thoughts 

• I do think if we really want to make more scientific judgments we'll need a perfectly flat, level range with all the different textures.
  • It is hard to judge the whole shot with the weird slow rolling ball. Ball disappearing at 2nd bounce. 
  • I might be mistaken but the 'hang time' seems to be too short? It feel like in Links the ball stays in the air longer.

:mellow:

• Erik Lugris likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#60 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Andrew, on 21 Jul 2013 - 6:33 PM, said:snapback.png

FixAmer1st: said:

Thanks Andrew. So I will be able to play the game but not be able to design courses. I can live with that then.

Jerry

You won't necessarily have to live with that, Jerry. Andrew offered to import and convert real life courses for me, since the Terrain Converter would not be available for Mac users. I'm sure that Andrew and many other gents gracing these Forums with their presence will gladly provide you with the required Terrain-Converter data of any courses you will indicate to them. Shouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle...

Sorry for being off-topic, a bit. Keep grinding away, you others, and have fun. I will join the fray the moment the Mac version is made available. 

• Erik Lugris likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users